Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
:sharpton:
AGAIN!
As a 15+ year Ultimate Frisbee player, let me tell you how much I have hated getting into this awesome sport. Over the years siblings and friends convinced me to come throw a round with their idiotic tiny discs that don't go where you aim them. I would leave dejected and irate. How could I be so bad at throwing discs? I'm GREAT at throwing discs. Repeat process every couple years. Get regular invites to the weekly game and politely turn them all down. gently caress disc golf it's dumb.

Enter: COVID-19

ALL ULTIMATE CANCELLED FOREVER

Finally cave and shove my few donated golf discs in a bag and head out to the local course to meet my buddies. It's as fun as I knew it would be even though I still can't drive a disc. Do a little research, get a little advice. Fast forward two months and I've bought a few more discs, pared down my bag to things I can throw ok, and have played every week since. Disc golf might be my new best friend. Also I'm pushing 40 and *gently caress* sprinting up and down the field.

PSA FOR ULTIMATE CONVERTS - You will have to relearn all your mechanics. Sorry, it sucks. A lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
AGAIN!

This absolutely helps me remember all the throwing advice I get.

:350:

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
AGAIN!

slicing up eyeballs posted:

1) I hosed up and bought a Nuke OS - how the gently caress do I throw this thing, I can never remember what overstable/understable means

Never heard of it, that's how I know it ain't for me. I haven't heard of most discs though. :shrug:

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
AGAIN!
My boss said I could leave work early yesterday but only if I went to play a round with him. But then I went to play my weekly after work game with the guys. Turns out two rounds in one day is one too many rounds. Glad I picked up a shoulder strap ice pack. Whew.

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
AGAIN!

cage-free egghead posted:

BTW the world record for holes completed in 24 hours is 2,900.

Ew

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
AGAIN!
Witnessed my first ace tonight. Got paired with the best player in our group and he stepped up and aced hole 1 of our round. Fun times. It was his second ace, his first coming yesterday. Crazy.

Focusing more on form and getting cleaner drives as a result. Feels good! Field work is next I guess.

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
AGAIN!

Sound_man posted:

After a few days of unplayable weather I got back on the driving range and course today. It was a bit chilly (like 55ish) but the sun was out.

The next town over has a mini disc golf course and a disc golf driving range that share a parking lot. The driving range has two tee pads and is mostly flat with distance signs out to 650 feet. This is my secound day of really trying to work on my drives. The first time I had 20 discs out, some stuff that was way too fast for me. This time I focused on ten discs between a speed of 5 and 7 to try and work on my form. I seem to be stuck at 200. I'm pretty happy with the grouping but not much got further than 225'. I'm trying to follow Page Peirce and Dan Beto's guide but I'm having a hell of a time getting everything to time out correctly.

I did get my first ace on Thanksgiving day, it was on a 133' hole but it was still awesome. I had hit chains and rimmed out on a few other holes at that course so it felt good to land one.

I'm in the exact same spot with my drive. Realizing that I needed to throw lower speed discs to get my form right was the best thing I've done for my game so far. The timing of everything is truly the hardest part. Congrats on the ace, still chasing my first. Keep it up! (not the nose though)

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
AGAIN!

John Cenas Jorts posted:

Played for the first time this weekend and did absolutely awful. Shot a breezy +25 on a 12 hole course, but my husband did better with a +18. I did not do any research or realize that the throw style is completely different than Ultimate. My kid fell over and touched a cactus. Baby got sick of the stroller and had to be carried for the last two holes. Arm is sore as hell today but

Holy poo poo, disc golf is fun as gently caress. I am looking forward to playing more and getting better and maybe trying to connect with the local scene because we met some very cool folks out there

As a convert from ultimate as well, don't let it discourage you! Also, I'm still working on breaking my muscle memory on some shots but the biggest thing for me was just throwing with less intensity. Every time I throw slower than I want to, I improve. I wasted like 6 months trying to bomb it like an ultrastar. Have fun!

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
AGAIN!

fociP posted:

What's going on goons just here to post MY ACE DISC

I highly recommend playing with kids so you can play the short tees, plus I have a reminder for my friend's kid that he couldn't spell his name in first grade.

hell yeah! congrats. still chasing my first.

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
AGAIN!

Snake Dance posted:

Local club is starting a putting league at a brewery right down the street this week. Good way to get better/trashed. Also I probably won't be getting any better.

That sounds pretty great. They pop up around here now and then. There's definitely a niche to fill I just don't have the time.

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
AGAIN!

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Resurrecting this from page 1 because I just found out how true it is.

Friends have been playing alot so I got a basic pair of discs. Went to a field and threw for 20 minutes just to see how different it is and gently caress this is going to take some practice.

I spent a whole year throwing the disc way too hard on drives. Slower controlled power is better than throwing it as hard as you think you need to. At least that was my experience.

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
AGAIN!
I have nothing to add other than

BERG SUPREMACY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
AGAIN!
Tornado blasted our two main courses on Friday.

That's the post.

Sorry to be a downer but I needed to vent it into the void.