Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Hell yeah disc golf kicks so much rear end.

Highly recommend downloading UDisc - the official app of the PDGA. It's great for keeping score, looking up where the gently caress the next teepad is, reminding yourself if this hole you just hit the first available tree on is a par 4 or a par 3, and finding courses near you. https://www.udisc.com/

Free for a month. 5bux a year if you like it and want to save your scorecards, participate in leaderboards and use cloud storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

I have a green/brown Raptor that I love but I know what fate awaits it :(

Also this putting clinic by Zoey AnDyke is probably the best video on putting I've seen. Learn to putt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxdrvIB5S84

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

I've seen people out at courses throwing Ultrastars. I uh dont think they were making par but they looked like they were having fun!

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

that's casual fire and water - go ahead and play your lie.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Man it feels great improving. I've been playing for about 10 months. There's a very tough wooded course near me that I've probably played a dozen times since October - according to UDisc my first round I scored +24. I pretty much only had a tomahawk and a putt and would make VERY LIBERAL use of mulligans. Just went +6, no mulligans. Ripping 250+ ft forehands off the tee, mixing in the backhand for layups and only using overhands to get out of the woods.

If I can ever get a backhand drive down, I might just make par some day.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Fast, overstable distance drivers such as the Nuke OS are typically going to be thrown by players with big beefy arms that can give the disc enough speed to get a full flight out of it. When they throw them on a slight hyzer (disc's outer rim slightly down on release), the disc will flip up to straight, hold the line for a bit and then fade hard to the left (assuming it's a right-handed, backhand throw) at the end of the flight. For player's with non-beefy arms, the disc is going to just dump left and not give you much distance before it hits the ground. If you're just starting out, it's pretty much going to only be useful as a utility disc for when you need to hit a short, sharp angle to the left (RHBH) or right (forehand).

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

net work error posted:

What's the best way to practice in like a backyard or something? I finally caved and bought one of those Innova starter sets that has a driver, midrange, and putter and ready to get out there.

If you have a couple hundred feet of space to work with in your backyard, definitely try doing some fieldwork. Practice throwing standstill backhands and using different throwing angles (anhyzer, straight, hyzer) to see how they affect the disc's flight and to learn your discs.

Dynamic Discs' fieldwork series seems ok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UQ2AXYbPQY

Put a target somewhere in your yard and focus on your form while throwing at it.

EDIT:
Also this:

Easychair Bootson posted:

I'd recommend that you just get out and play.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

cage-free egghead posted:

BTW the world record for holes completed in 24 hours is 2,900.

What the gently caress

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

jonastheed posted:

So I’m pretty much a disc golf noob but what even is this? I have no idea what step putting is, what circle 1 is, or why it wouldn’t be allowed.

Circle 1 is the imaginary (or real, depending on the course) circle extending out from the basket 33 feet. If you are putting within that 33 ft circle, you are not allowed to step forward or jump as you putt. Also, you must "demonstrate balance" after the disc has left your hand or you could be called for a foot fault. So, if say, a player is putting from a knee behind a tree in that 33 ft circle and they take their putt and fall over as they are releasing it, they would be assessed a foot fault and given a stroke. Outside of that circle, you can step or jump as you are releasing the disc in order to give it a little more oomph or height. The disc must be released from your hand before you make your jump or step.

edit: link that explains this all better than I can https://discgolfnow.com/what-is-the-circle-in-disc-golf/

Thom and the Heads fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 13, 2020

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

cage-free egghead posted:

In the world of controversy, the founders of Innova unwaveringly support Joshua Anthon after he murdered a person and is in hot water for having a "white pride" tattoo.

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2020/09/29/anthon-white-pride-tattoo-sparks-new-backlash-innova-boycott

please ignore the swastika i have tattooed on me - i got it to honor my dead uncle

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Scroll up like 3 posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

ooooh that wonderbread foil is sexy. I got one of these in a Discraft black friday misprint box last year. Way too pretty to throw.