Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Ultimate player here. I was playing disc golf the other day with an Ultrastar as I've done very occasionally before, and after outdriving some actual disc golf players off the tee, they asked me how far I could throw a disc golf disc. I said I had no idea because I've never done it, so the dude reached in his bag and gave me a Buzzz and a Leopard3. I thought he just wanted to see how far I could throw it but he told me to keep them, so that was pretty cool. He did get to see me throw it once... which curved about 100 feet to the left due to the extreme difference in how I usually would throw an Ultrastar.

Anyway, I took them out to a soccer field today to try to see if I can rip one actually straight, and managed a nice 135 yard... err I guess you guys measure in feet for some reason... 405 foot one for my longest throw. Maybe a bit wind-aided. I probably averaged closer to 330-350 feet with the Leopard. 300 with the Buzzz.

And that is how far I can throw a disc golf disc. Thank you for coming to my Ted talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I suppose unsurprisingly I find tee shots fun and interesting. And trying to put it in the basket with my approach shot. Putting I could pretty much leave entirely, like, my approach made it to 20 feet out? Ok cool, next hole.

If we're doing real talk, I actually kind of dislike how there is a disc for every situation. Of course, you have to have the skill to make the disc do what it's supposed to do. But try playing with an Ultrastar! If you want the disc to go in a certain direction, you better drat well MAKE it go in that direction, not just pull out your disc that fades at the end because this hole curves, or your best roller disc because this hole has a flat fairway. Ok, I get it, that's kind of the point, I never said I wasn't biased.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I may have bought some discs. And a basket…

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I shot +7 today, but I won this disc for getting a CTP

The poor dumb bastards who actually shot well overall and won their division only got a wood trophy and a red white and blue disc, so I’m pretty sure I actually won.

Although not as much as the dude who won $100 for getting an Ace.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Put a tee shot dead center into mid chains this weekend and it bounced out.

I’ve had potential aces hit metal a few times, but this was in there for sure… until it wasn’t.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Still can’t figure out how to boost my drivers past 400, but I’m stupid consistent with this dumb dx teebird, so I’ve got that going for me.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Got my longest throw yet, all it took was concentration on form a big tailwind and a 30 foot elevation drop. My normal average is far shorter. Hoping to hit 500 one day. I’m curious to what extent age is a limiting factor. If I started at 25 (or like… 6 like half of these pros it seems) instead of 36 would I be boosting that extra 50-100 feet?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

unbuttonedclone posted:

Terns bomb. I try to evangelize Terns all the time. Second best bomber is Westside Sorcerer. Current bomber: Used Infinite Sphinx Zoe Andyke edition.

I got it as my free disc with my factory seconds, but I never actually throw it on the course. Don’t have any kind of reliable shot shape with it whatsoever. Actually the only time I ever threw it on a course I lost it and someone found it a few weeks later.

I’ve been throwing a River for most distance shots since I got it a few weeks ago. I can get it out to about 400 and it just always goes dead straight.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Tiny Chalupa posted:

What would you recommend for a putter? Amazon has lost my package and need to order a different one now

Almost anything will be fine. Aviar (and its variations) is probably the most used disc on the planet. Many putters were originally based on the Aviar anyway. Here are some good putter names in no particular order: Wizard, Judge, Warden, Link, Roach, Luna, Fierce, P2.

Where it gets really confusing is there are many discs called “putters” that people don’t really putt into the chains ever, and just use them for approaches and short drives. And then just as many people that DO putt with those…

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Played a local beginner tournament, 9 hole course with no holes longer than ~215. I did alright…

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Played my first 3 tournaments over the last two weekends… pretty decent haul.

In 4 months I’ve gone from 0 discs to “what am I going to do with these useless prize discs?” and now I have 2 baskets… still have $115 store credit lol. I guess I could get a cart.

Anyone need an uh Ballista Pro? Or a Sargeant, or a King? I think they were offered discs that the store couldn’t move to use as prizes lol. I traded one for a used Meteor already. Some of the others are credit discs I bought to actually use. Got some Rivers and a Zone an Explorer and a Pig to try out. The other used disc is a DDx I found at the tournament.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 27, 2021

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Waiting for my call from the Pro Tour any day now.

Tried to hyzer flip my wife’s 150g disc, accidentally turned it into a roller that went down a hill at the end

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I went to a wide open Soccer field to throw, and still somehow managed to throw off the side, down a hill, and into the melted ice skating rink.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Everyone gets a disc for signing up the first time. The octopus is this year's disc. Last year was a space turtle. You'll probably get the octopus.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Hard to say without seeing video of your throws, but it doesn’t sound like you need to, or should be, throwing 13+ speed discs.

Wraith is one of the most popular drivers out there, although it sounds like a new (non beat in) one would be too overstable for you. Gstar plastic would be flippiest. Don’t get a Champ one. I personally throw Lat64 Grace, which is very Wraithlike but not as overstable. Similar (to a Grace) discs would be something like an MVP Photon, Streamline Trace, Discmania Enigma, Discraft Surge or Surge SS.

Or you could step down into the high fairway-driver range and get something like a Thunderbird, Tesla, Saint, Undertaker, etc, but if you’re already throwing a Valkyrie, maybe just go up to a Beast?

I guess the true path up the speeds in the same “line” for Innova is something like Valkyrie-> Beast -> Archon -> Wahoo -> Shryke.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 9, 2022

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
People usually film from the other side, yes. But main things I can see is that your crossover step is in front instead of behind. It might seem like it doesn’t matter but it changes the way your hips engage. Also your backswing is literally up at your head level and then you swing down like you’re hitting a 9 iron. Get that backswing lower and extended back and rip through straight.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Car Hater posted:

It says DD3 right on it though? Am I lost???

The joke is that it’s an amalgamation of every desireable disc that collectors/fanboys want. It’s a DD3, but also innova, also vibram, a “4 claw”, “a 5x”, a Sexton and Climo signature disc, a halo plastic, etc.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I probably open the Udisc app literally every day. Whether I’m at a course or checking scores of a league night I couldn’t make or looking at the layout of some course I want to go to or following a pro tournament, I doubt I’ve skipped a day in a long time.

The gps is extremely useful on courses with poor signage, you just look at the arrow that shows where you are and what direction you are pointing, and walk towards where the map is showing you the next tee is.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Glitch