Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Can someone recommend a driver? I'm trying to figure out what to do for huge drives. (my short game is god like) I typically throw 340-360 flat windless, basically football field + endzones. Back in the day I did this with valkyries. I took 5 years off and came back and I'm down to about 300-320ish with a valk. I picked up some higher speed discs and I can turn some of them over from flat and that puts me up to 340-360 again.

Boss 175 champ/pro - I cannot turn these over no matter what, even into the wind.
Boss 150 - I can turn these over from flat, but barely, and definitely not with any tailwind. Any cross/head wind and I can turn them over no problem and roll them in a good headwind
Tern 170 champ - This is my current big distance driver. It's okay, but when you mess up it gets really ugly quick, very very sensitive to wind. I can turn these over on demand in any condition

I think maybe the compromises to make a high speed driver anhyzer are just.. gross? I've had grooves and terns and they both have something off about them. Its not like a valk or a leopard where the anhyzer is smooth throughout the shape, its this sudden weird right motion that happens all at once if that makes sense.

My best guess is that I need to throw a speed within my power where there isn't some gimmicky anhyzer in the mold to help noobs and I'm thinking about getting on orc or starfire again, used to throw those years ago, but idk if anything slots in like I'm thinking.

Acceptable to tell me to git good, I'm definitely bad right now also I'm dumb thank you for your consideration

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Thanks everyone, the beast does in fact rule, picked up a couple and have been grinding distance, it's pretty much perfect. I threw 100 drives a day at the football field for 4 days in a row and gave myself a stress fracture in my little finger whoops.

Oh well. People always say "drive for show putt for dough".. AMs aren't eligible for dough, so I'll take what I can get.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://i.imgur.com/i5oJdlx.mp4

I took this video on the day I asked my original question, this is throwing about 300'. What angle do you look at drives from? What do you even look for? I assume I need to do it from the other side, the disc side.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
reposting this from reddit

its a mako3

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Collecting discs since 2002: (sorta)

3 aviar-x
13 kc aviars
1 champ aviar
1 r-pro aviar
1 gateway voodoo

4 kc rocs
1 dx roc
1 vroc
1 san marino roc
3 champ roc3
3 emac truth
2 esp buzzz
5 mako3
1 md5
1 z wasp
1 gator

5 leopards
2 leopard3
3 firebirds
2 whippets
5 valks
1 teebird
4 teebird3

4 lovely blizzard beasts
3 champ max weight beasts
1 vengeance
1 wahoo
1 archon (this disk is secretly sick)
1 monster
1 starfire
1 katana
3 wraiths
2 terns
1 destroyer
1 cannon
2 shrykes
2 orcs
3 champ/pro bosses
3 blizzard light bosses

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 2, 2022

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATdgZfZpxZQ

This video is so good

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Muir posted:

I've got an Axiom Envy, a Latitude 64 Fuse, an Axiom Crave, and an MVP Terra.

The fuse is so sick. I think L64/DD/Westside have my favorite plastics. Fuzion plastic in particular is great.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://twitter.com/DoomsdayDG/status/1549873584624902145

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Johnny Truant posted:

Have they announced a punishment or anything yet? I only saw it on the PDGA Rodman Instagram account, lol

PDGA has a disciplinary board that'll meet about it. Probably 12-24 month ban is a internet-guess

https://twitter.com/GatekeeperMedia/status/1550556283190779905

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I got star plastic destroyer after watching that Doth Savek video and it's a completely different disc than the champion destroyer. The TLDR on that video is that different plastics cool at different rates, and the factory conditions have an effect as well. Destroyers vary from understable to meat-hook impossibly stable because they have different amount of meltyness to their rim which is trivial to measure and feel.

I went out and threw this new destroyer and its understable to straight. It's an incredible disc. I had a nice windy day so I also threw my firebirds and the same thing applies to them. The star plastic one is a glidey straight disc that always finishes hyzer, but the champion one just hyzers out the whole way and sucks. I can tell just looking at these two firebirds that they have different angles on the rim. I checked 2 bosses, same thing. I think this is probably common to every vtech shape rim with a compound angle to the wing. It explains the common wisdom that clear/premium plastics are more stable. They cool off faster.

My idea to take this even further is to use a thermal imaging camera (I don't have one) to prove that the plastics cool differently and then ultimately the goal would be to find out how to bake a disc in the oven (what orientation, what temp, how long) to convert a stable destroyer into a flippy destroyer.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Anyone want to trade some discs? I'm looking for:

kc pro aviars - all conditions
jk pro aviars - all conditions
cryztal fierces
z wasps
premium plastic leopards, valks, tbird3s, shykes, firebirds
kc rocs

I'm looking to get rid of:
2 champion wraiths, basically brand new, 171g no ink on them
1 pro wraith just barely used, hasn't hit any trees, but thrown in the field, 173g no ink
champion aviar P&A (beadless) 173g - this one is like 8/10 condition, not a lot of wear but its 12 years old, has the weight written on the back in sharpie
Ohn Scoggins tour series leopard3 173g - basically new but my pdga number is written on the back
champion leopard3 170-175ish (ink is gone)- basically new but has been thrown a few dozen times no ink on it
Pro starfire - basically new, 175 gram, no ink on it, tested in a field about 20 throws no trees
r-pro wahoo - tested this one in a field about 10 throws, otherwise new
drew gibson signature vengeance 174g - still has the little sticker on the rim, but I've thrown in about 5 times at the field

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Throwing a huge sliding anhyzer is the most fun shot in my opinion. Hard to pull off and usually pretty risky, but nothing feels better when you hit the perfect line.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Destroyers can be understable like a valkyrie, you just have to keep buying them until you find a good one. Check the wing to see if its got a clear two-step compound shape, it might be a meat hook one.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Firebirds for sure, people go nuts hunting the less stable ones. Last week I threw 10 star firebirds and all of them were super stable except 1 which was... not understable, but not straight either. It reminded me of a tbird or a beaten in eagle. This was brand new basically, 173g.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm just really old and back then the only discs you could get were from this one rural gas station display case or a dude in the parking lot, and by the time the internet rolled around for discs I was stuck.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
What is udisc like? I am sketched out by having extra internet accounts like probably many people posting here. GPS app on my phone? Not so sure. I couldn't figure out their monetization setup so I haven't made an account yet, but it seems like its mandatory to play in any events around here.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I tried a fierce and I think its actually such a sick putter. The main issue is, like you noted, its discraft so good luck. They're $22 each and you can only get them in 1 very soft plastic. That one is based off a DD deputy I think.

One thing I would add though is you shouldn't be afraid to float or push putt a luna. Also push putting owns and will take you super far.

edit: this is such a meme at this point so I'm sorry, but if you go innova you can get DX factory seconds for 5 bucks each when you buy 10 at once. I've only tried the aviar and rhyno but they might make one that matches your description.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 15, 2022

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Hell yeah, I used an archangel for like 6 months before I got into valkyries. Small diameter discs are pretty cool. Innova proshop still has both molds and I am 99% sure they're still being made. If you like understable small diameter discs check out the Sol I've heard good thing about it, sorta a cross between those two in a midrange package.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Playing an event tomorrow, so I wanted to practice putting. I live in an apartment. Easy solution:

Takes about 15 minutes to load and bike to the park, and then another 15 minutes to pack up and bike back.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I've been practicing left-handed for 8 weeks, 5 days a week or so, 40 minutes a session. First throws were 20-25' and absolutely hilarious, now I'm throwing 300+ with leopards and valkyries, endzone to endzone at the local football field.

Obviously that is only possible because I already knew how to throw right handed... but I learned a lot going through the process and for me I had to learn two concepts and intersect them:

1) The disc has to stay on the line. If it moves off the line the throw is going to be bad. This is easy to say and explain, but almost impossible to actually do. It's so difficult. Even now I'm fighting against this with both hands, but its getting better and better. I found that unless I use a video review I can't tell if I'm doing it or not. There is a clip of me from the start of the summer earlier in the thread pulling a disc way off the line, and to me it felt like a straight pull. Its crazy how drastically off-line your pull can be and your brain believes its straight.

2) You have to be able to throw anhyzers in order to get the disc to go flat and straight. This was SO difficult lefty, and still is. I finally setup a practice shot where the only way to get to the basket was to throw a big forced anhyzer and drilled that for a 1000 shots, literally, over 2 weeks. Once I could force an anhyzer over I had snap, and when I put the snap on the line I hit 300' the next time I went out.

I think everything I worked on is a sub category of these two concepts. Easy to explain, but tough to drill down into and execute correctly.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
DC is getting a new park on Friday in the Ashburn area, kinda west of IAD airport. Apparently it was designed by a company associated with Chris Dickerson. Super pumped to check it out, I'll be there monday throwing stuff.

https://www.loudoun.gov/2652/Hal-Berni-Hanson-Regional-Park

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 21, 2022

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Check this guy out 100 years old and playing 54 holes in a day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkZaOSeLMZw

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Base plastic is as good or even better than premium plastic out of the box. Base plastic wears faster which some people like and others dislike. When a disc wears it changes flight paths. This can be useful and top pros will generally have many copies of the same disc in different wear states to give them slightly different flights.

Personally I recommend base plastic for starting out. Having discs that slowly change over time helps build an understanding of disc stability and shot shapes (imo). I personally throw base plastic for putters and then premium plastic for drivers. The reason being, I throw drivers really hard into trees and roads and so being more durable is more of an advantage.

Starter packs kick rear end because the discs are generally the manufacturers highest utility discs and they're pretty heavily discounted, about 25 bucks gets you 3 discs, which is about the price of 1 super-premium disc.

Overall though, you can't go wrong. Get some friends, hit the course and throw whatever you got really hard it will be a good time.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Wait I forgot to shill for innova here is what you do, get yourself a factory 2nd star animal $7, a factory 2nd gstar teebird for $10, and a factory 2nd champion mako3 for $6, and then use this coupon to get a free champion mamba factory 2nd:

https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/star-animal-factory-second/
https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/gstar-teebird-factory-second/
https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/champion-mako3-factory-second/

That's a all premium plastic starter set for $23 with only moderate cosmetic defects.

https://twitter.com/InnovaProShop/status/1580950337879302145

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
My friend handed me a fully charged MVP glow disc and it was blindingly bright. The UV flashlight thing as well was extremely cool. Way better than taping a fishing lure LED to your disc like back in the day.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Yo I finally got a pair of star vikings. I had heard about this disc when it came out and I ignored it because the marketing was "a straighter more stable valkyrie", and basically the valkyrie was already perfect so why bother.

First, the star plastic on these is excellent, its swirly, shiny, just premium as all hell. I've been a big fan of star and especially gstar; I think its flatly better than champion, but everyone knows it looks bad, champion plastic looks so much better, but these vikings are super nice. They remind me a lot of the quality swirly L64 plastic, not lucid, the other one.

I went and threw these things and I'm hooked. They're so straight and so torque resistant. They're straighter than straight teebirds, and the harder you throw them the straighter they go. It's like instead of anhyzering they just stretch out and go farther. The disc it reminds me of the most is a aviar as weird as that is. You just throw it as hard as you want and it goes completely straight and has a teeny tiny hyzer right at the end. I was getting them out to 360-390 so it might end up making my bag between teebirds and destroyers.

Speaking of the bag:

Fierce, 2x aviar, zone
Roc, Wasp
Leopard, teebird, teebird3
2x Firebird
tern, 2x destroyer, boss

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I throw ambidextrous backhand, so my bag skews overstable. I've never thrown a TL or a thunderbird but I've only heard good things about them, especially forehand.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
How is that discraft prototype putter plastic holding up? I have a fierce in that plastic and I loved the feel and flight but it was getting chewed up just from regular putting. Although it fairness one course here has really sharp edges on the catchers.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I wouldn't write home about any discraft plastic except for the metal Z flex stuff. I got a zone in that plastic and it is so nice.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
In fairness - the bar is so unbelievably high for plastic. Take Z plastic for example. It's pretty unremarkable in my mind, its premium, durable, sorta okay grip, very usable plastic. But I have a Z wasp that I use heavily in the woods and its been in my bag for more than a decade. It's still as stable as the day I bought it, barely a scratch on it. Pretty incredible stuff in a vacuum. But there are plastics that have all of those features and look cooler or are gummy, or super tacky etc.

You could almost flip the question and ask what plastic is actually bad plastic. I think my least favorite right now is kc pro. It's very usable (obviously) but the technology has moved on I think. I still putt with kc-aviars, but mostly because I already have a stack of them and deep down I know I'm missing because I don't practice enough.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I somehow lost that transparent brown and black fierce in a leaf pile. drat, maybe they make a camouflage one I can replace it with.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
This guys got all the brands! Sockibomb hat, innova bag, OTB shirt, MVP disc drat!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The kudzu died back due to a recent freeze so I went out to my local course and pulled these discs out of 3 holes. Took me about 30 minutes of looking it was hilarious. "Oh there's one, oh there's one" finally had too much to carry back and left one in a catcher.

The heat, undertaker, and anax have no names/numbers and are premium finds. The tie-dye one is a metal flake pharaoh with no name/number. The destroyer and green roc3 f2 aren't bad either but pretty gross.

The pikachu boss, getaway, f2 savant, reactor, d2, adder, leopard3, and orc all have numbers so I'm dropping those off next week at the lost+found box at a different local course.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 28, 2022

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Still pulling discs out of the kudzu:

No phone number:
Streamline Jet, interesting one with a very cool stamp, little bit chewed up on the edge
Factory 2nd valkyrie, mint
glow champion teebird, absolutely money find
Nate sexton 2017 USDCG Xcal - thought this might be $$$ but they're $15 on ebay.
Fuzion convict with giant "JBT" written on the bottom

Phone numbers:
Envy electron, pretty rough shape
L64 ballista "retro" whatever that means
Innova production discmania FD

Funny enough between last weeks batch and this weeks batch I had 2 discs belonging to the same guy.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The secret is to use magic erasers on them. Yes, I cleaned strangers discs before giving them back to them (lol).

edit: I got most of these on this hole:

Its about a 12' tall wall of thorns, vines, and some kind of woody shrubs. The wall is maybe 40 feet wide and in the summer you really can't hope to get in there. Even now that its frozen its not easy. The hole is maybe 550' from the pro tee and its way to the left around a corner, so any disc that hyzers early is just gone.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 5, 2022

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
These chalk bags changed my game, they're so good:

https://www.amazon.com/MVP-Disc-Sports-Accessories-Osmosis/dp/B077TZYMH7

My hands sweat like crazy and I finally found one on the ground and started using it and now I always have them on me. You want the ones that have the little balls in them. You grind the balls together to release more chalk. Look for the reviews of people complaining that they are filled with desiccant to know you're getting the right ones; unless you know that you have to break the chalk bits apart they don't work, but those are the good ones.

edit nevermind the perfect gift is a SlipKnot x Discraft collab disc:
https://twitter.com/DiscraftDG/status/1600582559548772370

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 7, 2022

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
No gifts to report, but a end of year review:

My first post in this thread was May 6th. I was coming off a 5-year hiatus and this was my form throwing about 300-320':
https://i.imgur.com/i5oJdlx.mp4

Here is at the end of the year, today, and u-disc measured this throw at 437':
https://i.imgur.com/W8QQDqD.mp4

* I played in 4 events, all non-sanctioned random draw doubles
* Turned my lunch breaks at work into daily field work sessions -> I estimate I had between 150 and 200 field days this year.
* I got 2 exciting overuse injuries; a hand stress fracture early in the year and then shin splints in my plant leg later
* Threw my longest measured drive ever at 550' with a 168g gstar boss (~30' of elevation and a tailwind with a road skip but it landed in bounds so count it)
* I got zero aces, but hit a basket with a left hand drive, and hit a black-ace where I threw into the short basket while aiming long.
* I started throwing left hand this year due to hand injuries and set a personal best of 310' left handed.
* I bought an ungodly amount of discs we don't need to talk about that
* Played rounds at 10 different courses in 4 different states

Next year: putting putting putting putting I hit about 50% from 20', and 10% from 33' when I practice and I need help frankly

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
How has nobody done a franklin driver distance competition on youtube. That's a 10/10 vlogmas concept.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
13 bucks shipped I'm checking out this franklin set and I'm going to prove the haters wrong by sending a 400' albatross shot at my local park which is also called franklin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Mcqueen posted:

Sounds like you need a Virus, homie.

Also that bag video with Simon is pretty cool, really showcases how terrible I am at disc golf but he seems like a chill dude and I hope he wins everything.

I’ve got a bunch of higher speed mvp plastic from those gyro boxes I’m probably not going to use that much. If anyone wants to trade or whatever, pm me?

What are you looking for? I would trade premium plastic mako3s, emac truths (including a pdga custom stamp one), a md5 (discontinued), halo leopard3, heat, undertaker, wraiths, jet, pharaoh, xcal?