Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Recommendation for new players: Don't buy discs that blend in with your environment (green being a common offender), and think twice about buying discs that are "tie-dyed," or as we call them, camouflage. My bag is full of discs that are solid pink, orange, white, and sometimes blue or red. You would think yellow would be good but it's a bit too close to green. You can get away with the harder-to-see colors on stuff like putters but I'm not climbing through poison ivy to look for my buddy's leaf-green Destroyer that he shanked into the woods for the fifth time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
In the back yard you're mostly limited to putting practice. You don't have to have a basket, just some sort of target like a tree or a pole. I'd put some cardboard, clothing, or something over it to keep your putter from getting dinged up.

Typically disc golf practice means "field work" which is mostly about developing the timing and muscle memory involved in throwing. It's best done when you've got a stack of the same type of disc, but you can certainly do it with your three different discs.

I'd recommend that you just get out and play. Throw two discs from the tee and then play from the better one if you want to. Get a feel for the types of throws that you'll need to execute, then you can do some field work based on that.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I will say it's a pet peeve of mine when folks bend the rules to the point that it's beyond the spirit of fair play. None of my group are serious about the sport, but to me that's just more reason to adhere to the rules when possible and practical. Examples of this rule-bending are falling putts that are obviously within the circle, moving a live branch out of the way to make the shot easier, or playing an obviously out-of-bounds disc from where it lies versus just taking the penalty. If you're going to do that stuff, at least don't keep score. Hdip, I'm not addressing you directly, just bitching about people who claim to not give a poo poo about their score, but who will claim a par because "that chain-out was bullshit."

If you need to take casual relief so that you're not standing in an ant hill or poison ivy, go for it. Throw a second disc every now and then if it's just you and the boys out for a casual round. Courtesy violations are tolerated (or even welcomed, am I right fellas??).

Our favorite heckle is to crack a beer during someone's run-up. Highly recommended.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

PittTheElder posted:

Now see this one I take issue with. The course we normally play is full of thick rear end bushes, and we're pretty terrible so it's pretty common somebody winds up in there. While dropping out for a penalty is fine, playing it where it lies Happy Gilmore style is encouraged.

So the bushes are OB but you guys play them as in bounds given the "natural penalty" of having to throw out of the nasty stuff? I'm cool with that as long as it's consistent. What gets my goat is when someone is having a good round and gets a bad break with a disc going OB and decides to play it as in-bounds to avoid the blemish on the scorecard (which they claim they don't care about anyway).

My usual group plays lost, [presumably] in-bounds discs this way. If someone throws one deep in the brush and it can't be found, he'll just play from where everybody agrees the disc should be rather than hiking back to the teepad for a rethrow and penalty. I mean, isn't losing your disc enough of a punishment?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I was out fishing in my kayak this morning at the same place where our usual disc golf spot is. My friends decided to play so I joined them, even though I only had a few random discs in my truck, none of which are a part of my usual bag. Long story short, I hit my second ever ace. Did it with a 167gr Innova Starfire that a friend gave me. I was so shocked I didn't know how to react, but it was fun.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Doubles can be fun as hell

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

ThePopeOfFun posted:

That being said, I've got a couple Wraith drivers in 175g & 145g that I like OK, but they're beat to hell. The 145g has lost its stability after tasting so many trees off the tee. What drivers do ya'll like to throw? I just bought a putter so I think I might just get whatever's on the used stand at my local shop.

I throw almost exclusively forehands, and the only driver I carry with any regularity is a Boss 157gr (Champ Blizzard) that I've thrown approximately a billion times. I top out at 340' with it. I love the flight of this disc.

The majority of the time I'm throwing something in the 7-9 speed range off of the tee if the drive calls for a 275-325' straight-ish shot, which is pretty common. These are my Teebird3 or Thunderbird. The Firebird gets a ton of use off the tee when distance control is important. On shorter holes I'm throwing something in the 4-7 speed like a Zone or some sort of midrange.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Buzzz (165-180gr) and Aviar (175gr) is the perfect combo to get out there and throw. I also think that 200' is a pretty good benchmark. Those discs are (a) easy to throw without needing a huge arm, and (b) neutral to understable, so the disc isn't fighting you.

Since we're well into summer now let me do my PSA: Friends don't let friends throw green discs. Buy solid colors that stand out from the foliage. Orange, red, pink, and bright white are my favorites. YMMV depending on where you live.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Yellow is also bad. Green plants die into yellow, so not only do you spend forever spotting your disc, dead leaves snap your head around masquerading as your lost round object.

Yeah I lost a yellow Champ Thunderbird recently when I threw it into some tall grass / trees / weeds. Four of us who play all the time saw where it went, on a course we play all the time, and still couldn't find it after looking for 15 minutes.

Elysium posted:

Put a tee shot dead center into mid chains this weekend and it bounced out.

I’ve had potential aces hit metal a few times, but this was in there for sure… until it wasn’t.

Ouch. Still chasing after your first?

Easychair Bootson fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 12, 2021

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Johnny Truant posted:

but I'm also thinking of getting a slower driver, my two right now are a Wraith and a Boss. Any recs?

Champ Thunderbird, 170ish grams. That’s my slower complement to the Blizzard Champ Boss I throw.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Disc golf does, in fact, rule. A friend started a league recently, and on Saturday morning I played well enough to take home the #2 tag (there are only ~45 members so far). Then on Monday we played and a friend and I had a fierce battle. He got off to a quick start but I came back and coming to the tee on #14 I had a one stroke lead. I threw a decent drive that finished about 45' past the basket and then this mfer steps up to the teepad and hits a beautiful ace on a flex line that missed a tree by maybe an inch. He was able to match me shot for shot down the stretch so he took the tag off of me, but drat it was fun.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I hit an awesome ace a few days ago, on my birthday

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
what the gently caress richard

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
This past Sunday I put together what was probably my best ever overall round, even if it wasn’t the outright best score I’ve shot

Didn’t miss a putt under 10m, and made a couple just outside including an absolute death putt on 17. Followed that up with a perfect drive to get a rare birdie on 18. Just nuts thinking back at how many shots I executed on and how confident I was in every throw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

quote:

Fierce, 2x aviar, zone
Roc, Wasp
Leopard, teebird, teebird3
2x Firebird
tern, 2x destroyer, boss

Are you forehand-dominant? Because I am, and our bags are quite similar (although I bag several TLs and Thunderbirds)