Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I got into disc golf a few months ago, and as I usually do with new hobbies I went down the gear rabbit hole too fast. I've taken a step back now and dialed my number of discs way down in accordance with some old advice on DGCourseReview, and boy am I learning a lot more by just focusing on a few discs. The advice is to start with just:

quote:

Putter - 1 mold, preferably a stable, in most cases beaded putter in low end plastic that isn't flexible (e.g. S Wizard, KC Aviar, D Challenger, D Focus, S Voodoo, etc.)

Mid - 1 mold, neutral to slightly overstable (e.g. DX Roc, Buzzz, Shark, Cro, Element, there's like a million of them).

Driver* - 1 mold, slow, low end plastic, with some turn and some fade (e.g. DX Cheetah, M Polaris LS, DX Gazelle, D Cyclone, DX Eagle-X, etc.)

Overstable Driver - 1 mold, overstable by design, not because of speed (e.g. Banshee, Firebird, Predator, etc.)

I've got an Axiom Envy, a Latitude 64 Fuse, an Axiom Crave, and an MVP Terra.

I'm also discovering how much I like MVP/Axiom discs, as opposed to the mostly Latitude 64 I had been using before.

Anyone else dive in too deep at first and then dial it back to really learn how to throw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

cage-free egghead posted:

I bought something like 40 or 50 discs a few months after I started but then dropped down to 12 for my first full year. Think my staples were Aviar, Leopard, Buzzz, and the River. I really should buy more Rivers.

Yeah, that sounds like what will be my trajectory. I'm probably at about 40 to 50 but looking to downsize heavily now. I'm making several starter set bags for some friends to get rid of a lot of them, and then I'll probably try to sell the others. Glad I'm not alone!

Salt Fish posted:

The fuse is so sick. I think L64/DD/Westside have my favorite plastics. Fuzion plastic in particular is great.

I do still love the Trilogy plastic too, but there's something about the MVP discs that I like even more. But the Fuse will always have a place with me, as will the new Royal discs, and a few others probably (Pure and Maiden, River, maybe Sword).

Muir fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 19, 2022

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I live and play at sea level but will be going on a trip to around 5800’ and planning to play some disc golf while I’m up there. I’m deciding what to pack. I’ve heard that discs fly more overstable at higher elevation, but is there something more quantifiable anyone can tell me? Should I expect them to fly with less turn, more fade, both? Like 1 flight number different, more, less?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Bootloafus posted:

Sea level to 5800' could be pretty drastic depending on what type of shots you like to throw. There will be less glide, less turn, more fade. If you're a low arm speed player it will be even more pronounced. Throw in a couple extra of your most understable high glide discs and throw a little before your round.

Just how understable are we talking? Like on a scale from
  • Latitude 64 Fuse (5 / 6 / -1 / 0)
  • MVP Uplink (5 / 5 / -3 / 0.5) or Discraft Sol (4 / 5 / -3 / 0)
  • Axiom Paradox (5 / 4 / -4 / 0)

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

Nikko Locastro being an embarrassing punkass clown today, jfc gently caress that guy.

At least the Europeans had the guts to do something about it. If this were in the US I doubt the TD would’ve done anything. Glad to see him finally face some consequences for being so lovely for so long.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Bootloafus posted:

With the caveat that it won't be as noticable on lower speed discs (because they're easier to over power) If it were me I'd be probably throw the paradox and fuse in my bag and call it good.

As an example for me going from 800' to 7500' feet on family vacations, my beat leopard3 goes from a hyzerflip turnover disc to flying like a new one (so straight with a slight fade finish).

Ultimately it's not a huge deal and you'll probably just lean on your more broken in stable to understable discs more than usual, but having some extras is nice.

Awesome, thanks! It’s a little more complicated because I’m trying to build basic starter bags for two friends who will also be with me, from the other discs I have around. This is very helpful.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

What does it mean that I was filling out a form that needed my state bar number, and I automatically started entering my PDGA number instead?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

headcase posted:

buzzz is life. Paradox is the other mid I carry and it is also very good.

I have a Paradox but haven’t really figured out what to use it for. What shots make you grab your Paradox?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Are you an Innova rep lol

Right? When I first heard of all the tests you have to do to find the right Destroyer, or Firebird, or whatever, my first thought was "why?" There are so many equivalent discs from other manufacturers that don't seem to have the same quality control problems. Just get a Zeus or a Trespass or a DD3.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

What is udisc like? I am sketched out by having extra internet accounts like probably many people posting here. GPS app on my phone? Not so sure. I couldn't figure out their monetization setup so I haven't made an account yet, but it seems like its mandatory to play in any events around here.

Their monetization set up is the only non-sketchy one that exists, i.e., you pay them money. It's a great app and I love being able to track my stats in a more in depth way. Plus it really helps navigating a course you've never played before to have the hole by hole course map with GPS.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I played my closest local course for the first time in months, now that its park isn't full of summer campers. I threw a personal best (+1 on 9 holes, short but wooded course), but it didn't feel like a personal best as I was playing it. I also had a recent personal best at my local full sized course, +7 on 18 holes at the shortest of the four tee pad/basket combo options. So I know I'm improving. But it doesn't feel like it.

My approach game and my putting have improved, and that helped a lot. But my distance form just feels all off. I've been watching Overthrow tutorials on Youtube, and I even had an in person lesson a couple months ago, but I'm still stuck at around 200'-225', and when I throw I can tell it isn't right. I'm sure I just need to work on it more, do some field work, take videos of myself, but it's just a weird place to be mentally. Anyone else been here?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I’m just past where you are at. Totally get it. I drilled the the Overthrow twirly bird vid from a stand still to convince my body and mind that smooth and loose is the way, and that tightness and gritty effort kill distance. It’s kinda stupid how far you start to slang em from a stand still with just that twirly bird drill/movement.

That's super encouraging! I've been working on the box drill and twirly bird is next but I haven't worked it yet. I'm watching Worlds coverage and Garrett Gurthie definitely looks smooth and loose on his throws. It's a good reminder.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Mcqueen posted:

Speaking of playing catch, how can I get my dang hands on a Glitch?

The stores offering pre-orders say they're expected mid-October. You could also take a look at the Latitude 64 Bite.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Mcqueen posted:

Oh this is awesome, thank you!

I didn't come from any background and my forehands are dogshit. I guess with less than a year playing I should just work on developing my backhand, but it would be nice to have a hundred foot flick to get out of trouble as a lefty.

My go-to for a get out of trouble weak-rear end forehand is a really understable midrange, like an MVP Uplink. I find I want a shallower disc for forehand, and most MVP/Axiom stuff is pretty shallow. The Bite is deeper.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

NickRoweFillea posted:

To the guy wanting starter set advice, do the Innova F2 thing Salt Fish said, and get a Leopard, a Mako3, and an Aviar in Star plastic.

Played my first ever event tonight: a MVP Space Ace Race. A glow hex and glow pilot were provided and the only discs allowed. It was SO much fun! My friend hit an ace and I brushed the chains twice. So close…next time.

Btw, if you’re wanting to get glow plastic, this MVP glow is no joke. It held very visible luminescence for drat near 20 minutes.

I’m doing a Space Race in a month and I hope my UV flashlight from AliExpress is here in time. I’m very excited to go play it, I’ve never played a glow round before.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Aperture Priority posted:

Unrelated but everyone should bag an AGL Baobab :piaa:

Fun disc from a great family-owned company, and their plastic is 100% recycled. My soft woodland Baobab is great when I can't risk a roll away.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Mcqueen posted:

I bought a gyropalooza box. Why did I do that? I’m not even good at this game. I can’t even throw anything over a 9 speed. Just a complete idiot.

Mine arrived this morning and the contents were excellent and definitely useable for a newer player/noodle arm like myself. Only a couple of high speed discs, and those are understable.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Retro is the cheapest Latitude 64 plastic. Nice grip but poor durability. Same as Dynamic Discs Prime.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Anyone have good or bad things to say about the different disc golf training apps like Seekr or Pulsea? I just saw a promo for Pulsea on the UDisc holiday gift suggestions list, and I'd previously seen ads for Seekr on Instagram. I like the idea of a more focused and curated program of training videos. I am very much still a beginner (been playing for less than a year, max throw is like 225-240').

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

These boxes are excellent (but cheaper at Walmart): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H1PS2TS/. I know someone who runs a mobile store and he keeps his thousands of discs of inventory in these.

These are OK too: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09V5LVBLR/

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I used to putt with Envy and I still love it for approaches. But I tried a Loft Hydrogen and it’s the straightest drat disc I’ve ever thrown.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

headcase posted:

lots of kasta?

Might be Lots, might be Falk or Stal or Gote.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Phase 1 of the super sweet OTB Open MVP drop is today. My local shop is getting them all in and I'm going to swoop down there and probably just grab one of each. Such cool stamps and plastic combos.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Grandito posted:

Has anyone gone to be a spectator at a DGPT tournament? I'll be in Portland over the weekend and the GA tickets to the Portland Open are only $25.

Can you see enough to really make it interesting, or is it mostly a long day of standing around to see the pros from a distance and occasionally half a good shot?

It's going to depend tournament by tournament in terms of how well they have the spectator experience set up. Portland Open was elevated to an Elite Plus tier event I think in large part because they are supposed to have a great spectator experience. I can't speak to Portland Open personally, but I've spectated OTB Open the past two years, but with a VIP pass so that I could actually follow a card up close. OTB Open also has very thoughtfully laid out GA areas and would be worthwhile even without VIP.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

calandryll posted:

My main go to right now for distance is a Ballista from Latitude 64. I'll have to dig into my bag but one of the ones I got from the trilogy was war something (Matty-O) that has been working well for me.

That'd be the Westside Warship

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

There’s a Trilogy challenge and an MVP circuit challenge near me in August and I’d love to do one or both, schedule permitting.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Not to mention all the self dealing he doesn’t recuse himself from.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Hdip posted:

How much of their decision is based on the IOC rules for getting new sports into the olympics?

None. They mention the IOC guidance and then follow none of it, as the trial judge for Natalie Ryan's federal court case re: OTB Open helpfully laid out: https://ecf.caed.uscourts.gov/doc1/033113736137

quote:

To determine whether this injunction is in the public interest, the Court looks at guidance from leaders in the athletic world. The International Olympic Committee (“IOC”) is among those leaders. As the parties have all noted, the IOC promulgated a framework related to the inclusion of individuals in sports based on gender. (ECF No. 25-3). This framework states “[e]veryone, regardless of their gender identity, expression and/or sex variation should be able to participate in sport safely and without prejudice.” (Id. at 2.) The IOC counsels for inclusion and the prevention of discrimination. The PDGA asserts the rules were created in response to the IOC framework and represented during the hearing that the PDGA policy is in line with this framework. However, when the policy is compared to the IOC framework, there appear to be significant discrepancies. The IOC framework mandates “[t]he physical, psychological and mental well-being of athletes should be prioritized when establishing eligibility criteria.” (Id. at 3.) However, the PDGA medical subcommittee report explicitly states, “it does not include sociological, psychological, or cultural issues surrounding transgender participation in competitive athletics.” (ECF No. 22-1 at 1.)

The IOC framework also counsels “[n]o athlete should be precluded from competing or excluded from competition on the exclusive ground of an unverified, alleged or perceived unfair competitive advantage due to their sex variations, physical appearance and/or transgender status.” (ECF No. 25-3 at 4.) It goes on to say “[u]ntil evidence (per principle 6) determines otherwise, athletes should not be deemed to have an unfair or disproportionate competitive advantage due to their sex variations, physical appearance and/or transgender status.” (Id.) Based on this Court’s review of the PDGA’s medical subcommittee report, neither of these principles were honored. There is currently insufficient evidence in the record to support a finding that Plaintiff has an unfair or disproportionate competitive advantage. The assumption that she will have an unfair competitive advantage seems to be based on the “unverified” and “perceived” notion that because Plaintiff is transgender and went to male puberty, she will be better. These discrepancies between the IOC framework and the PDGA policy counsel in favor of granting the TRO.

Additionally, the trend in women’s sporting events appears to be more inclusive than the policy in the instant case. As discussed at the hearing the NCAA, NWSL, and WNBA all have policies in place governing gender qualifications and none of them require transition prior to male puberty as the PDGA policy section C.3 does. Taken together, the IOC’s guidance and the trend in professional sports organizations not to require transition prior to puberty are persuasive and sufficient to demonstrate an injunction here is in the public’s interest.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Another layer of irony here with the DGPT plan to replace many FPO events with A tier events is that their own rules allow Natalie Ryan to play in A tiers.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

NickRoweFillea posted:

Maria Oliva supports trans rights too.

I don’t think Ohn has said anything but I know she wasn’t up with the group at the preserve.

The most supportive players I know of are Ella Hansen, Maria Oliva and Luke Samson, and Ali Smith and Mary Cannon. The five of them showed up to Natalie's tee time at OTB Open to cheer her on. Ella and Maria have also been vocal on Instagram, re-sharing posts from Natalie and/or Throw Proud.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I have a Pound Rufus that I adore. I highly recommend it. I got it to replace my Upper Park Rebel which was a nice bag but I couldn't get over the positioning of the water bottle holders -- they curve around the torso so that if you have bottles in them they whack you every time you pick up or put down the bag.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

NickRoweFillea posted:

Lots of good putter drops coming soon. TSA Praxis in Aura, S-line P2…I love putters.

For my putting putter, I had been firmly on the Loft Hydrogen but didn't quite like how deep it was. I tried the prototype MVP Watt that they had at OTB Open and knew that it could be it. And it's official, I don't know why the Watt when I didn't like the Ohm or the Pilot, but the Watt is my putter. Absolutely no complaints. And a great thrower as well, right up there with the Proxy.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

headcase posted:

What is an understable putter that I can throw hard and it turns over, but doesn't die into the ground immediately? I lost my fierce and i wonder if there are any alternatives.

MVP Spin

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

fociP posted:

MVP Anode might be what you are looking for if the Envy is too stable, though it is a lot deeper than a Fierce. Dynamic Discs Deputy is similar flight and feel but they only make it in less durable plastics.

If you like the feel of the Envy but want less stable, you want the Proxy. They're the same core with different outer rims (also true for the MVP Atom). Proxy is also an excellent disc.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Mcqueen posted:

I have it on good authority that Harp is actually the best disc AND putter.

harp gang

My best round at the small course near my house is still a one-disc round I played with just a Harp.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Bandire posted:

Thoughtspace has ton of great artwork on their discs. It's 100% gotten me to give them a shot, and I ended up bagging a couple.

And they're manufactured by MVP, so the plastic itself is really good too.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I loved my Rebel but eventually gave it up because the way the water bottle holders wrap around your body means you whack yourself with your water bottle whenever you pick up or put down the bag.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

:same:

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Brain Curry posted:

There’s short pros like Mason Ford, Emerson Keith, McBeth is only 5’8. The guys who throw over 600 tend to be tall, but not always, and the women who crush aren’t all giants.

That's a good point. Ella Hansen is a normal sized human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Just picked up a Gyropalooza box and a Time Lapse from my local shop this morning. My mystery discs were all mostly understable, which is great for me, so I'm happy. I got an Atom (3 3 0 1), an Echo (5 5 -1.5 1), an Ascend (6 5 -3 0.5), a glow Lift (9 5 -2 1.5), a Defy (11 5 -1 3), and a Relativity (14.5 5.5 -3 1.5). All but the Atom and the Lift are Neutron or Cosmic Neutron.

The Atom is weird, I can't figure out what plastic it is. It feels like Fission, but their website says the Atom only comes in Proton and Electron (and Cosmic Electron). It's a lab second, so maybe it is Fission and they haven't released it yet?

The full glow Glitch is cool. My kids and I spent like an hour throwing glow discs at the basket in the back yard last night, and this will make a welcome addition.