Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
fyi new 8k 32" oled monitors are coming at some point, this website that triggered my 8k monitor google alert says

quote:

Omdia says that Samsung Display will likely enter the 32-inch 8K monitor market with its QD-OLED panels, adding that ASUS, MSI, and AOC Dell are highly likely to become major customers. Currently, the main players in the 32-inch 8K monitor market are LG Display, which entered the market in 2017, and Sharp and AUO, which joined the fray this year.

i guess the 2017 lg is the current dell 8k monitor and no sharp or auo monitors are out yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

unless they refresh at 120hz or greater they're trash

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
refresh rate > hdr 1000 > vrr > resolution

imo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i keep thinking about getting an OLED monitor, but I'm pretty sure the display persistence and burn-in issues are still a problem for something that displays a relatively static screen for any length of time

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
just got my wife another two Dell P2415Q for her i9 gaming PC since she needs a lot of real estate to run her D&D game

the third display was a little too far from her tower for the cabling we had though, so she suffered with 30 Hz via HDMI until the longer DisplayPort cabling arrived

poty
Jun 21, 2008

infernal machines posted:

i keep thinking about getting an OLED monitor, but I'm pretty sure the display persistence and burn-in issues are still a problem for something that displays a relatively static screen for any length of time

i have an oled tv that def has mad burn-in and an oled iphone x that is good as new

oled is a land of contrasts

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

8k 32inch oled sounds great

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

eschaton posted:

just got my wife another two Dell P2415Q for her i9 gaming PC since she needs a lot of real estate to run her D&D game

the third display was a little too far from her tower for the cabling we had though, so she suffered with 30 Hz via HDMI until the longer DisplayPort cabling arrived

sever

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i'm thinking about getting a pair of FI27Q-Ps next month, but not completely sure

i love the aesthetics of them (sans RGB), but i've never had a gigabyte monitor before

pram
Jun 10, 2001
looks like poo poo

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

gigabyte has the worst customer service of any tech company i've ever dealt with. like complete failure to support products under warranty

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Heartcatch posted:

gigabyte monitor

lmao

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

panel seems fine, monitor looks bad.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Heartcatch posted:

i'm thinking about getting a pair of FI27Q-Ps next month, but not completely sure

i love the aesthetics of them (sans RGB), but i've never had a gigabyte monitor before

:thunk:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Heartcatch posted:

don’t troll

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Gentle Autist posted:

don’t troll

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

that's not a tactical monitor it has no rails or molle web

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

my stepdads beer posted:

panel seems fine, monitor looks bad.

what bin of panel you get depends on what tier of display manufacturer you go with

you’re not going to get as good a panel from a low-end manufacturer as you will from the top tier, even if both of their displays technically use “the same” panel

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
any turned on monitor is a good monitor in my book

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

a tactical monitor.. sounds good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Heartcatch posted:

a tactical monitor.. sounds good

qirex posted:

that's not a tactical monitor it has no rails or molle web

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
Don’t buy oled. It’s a dead end technology.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i don't see anyone selling 4k microled displays yet, so dead end it may be, but nothing has replaced it commercially

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

according to the website a beam will shoot out of the monitor as holograms encircle me. tactical

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

oled: great for tv, terrible for compjuter

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
yeah OLED looks great but just buy a laser projector and a 120" ambient-light-reflecting screen because just fill your entire wall with Trailer Park Boys

you also need to save that massive box or else it'll crack in half when you move apartments

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i have a 1440p Acer monitor i bought when it came out because it had the new Innolux panel and all the monitor nerds were excited about the new panel

later its discovered those panels have an intermittent flickering issue, so lol jokes on me i guess.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

poty posted:

i have an oled tv that def has mad burn-in and an oled iphone x that is good as new

oled is a land of contrasts

:emptyquote:

non emptyquote reply
might be panel quality to some extent but i think a lot of it's down to oled iphones being very proactive at idle dimming and poweroff. it was very noticeable when i upgraded from a 7 to a XS. can't really do that kind of thing with a tv

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
what does “dead end technology” mean when the upgrade path is just to replace the whole monitor?

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

it means he spent a lot of money on lcd

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
My monitor cost $220. I checked and it is indeed on

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

thinking about a samsung g9, if you're ok with va.

va is trash garbage

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

"zero bright dot policy" I have never had a monitor with a bright pixel. dead pixels, however, go right back to the seller gently caress that

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

finally retired my mac pro and dual u2412 monitors, went to a macbook pro and some lg 27" 4k screen that has a USB-C hookup with power delivery

feels good man

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted:

what does “dead end technology” mean when the upgrade path is just to replace the whole monitor?

Idk about you but I like to buy something that’s going to give me the most benefit for the longest period of time. I would not have wanted to buy a plasma for the same reason, because objectively better technology already existed or was just around the corner.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

so whats the monitor tech just around the corner? microled? is anyone other than apple have factories for it?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

poty posted:

so whats the monitor tech just around the corner? microled?
yes

poty posted:

is anyone other than apple have factories for it?
nope lmao

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my last Panasonic plasma sold new is still kicking just fine and has not been substantially surpassed by anything in the intervening seven years except in terms of mass and probably power consumption

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Bloody posted:

my last Panasonic plasma sold new is still kicking just fine and has not been substantially surpassed by anything in the intervening seven years except in terms of mass and probably power consumption

and heat, dont forget the heat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I almost bought a 65" plasma at an auction recently

I looked at the spec sheet to check that it was "proper" 3x1920x1080 FullHD; it weighed 70kg and used 700W while running.
I didn't end up getting it mainly because a few people actually really wanted it and bid it up too much for a novelty.