Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I will personally blow the cockpit off that Marauder and claim it for myself. :black101: I want those PPCs! B: Breakthrough.

Reroll the terrain. Seems like the biggest disadvantage for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

EclecticTastes posted:

I will personally blow the cockpit off that Marauder and claim it for myself. :black101: I want those PPCs!

PPCs are amazing but unfortunately that mech has an E in its name, so that one is all yours.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
I know I was a big advocate for go big or go home, but that breakthrough mission :stare:

Lets cut our teeth on something a little more manageable first A. Recon Raid

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013
Oh hey! An awesome! I got to drive on of those in Poptart's game like... 3 years ago.

Also yay, trickle down to me getting a guillotine!

A because I'd rather we cut our teeth with that than the other option.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

A because I'd rather we not get mauled in our very first mission.

Voting to reroll terrain.

anakha fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 26, 2020

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

To reiterate, both missions will happen on the same day. You guys are voting which mission is done first.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

HereticMIND posted:

To reiterate, both missions will happen on the same day. You guys are voting which mission is done first.

In that case I change my vote to A! Hopefully we'll accumulate some experience from that mission so I can better claim my shiny new Marauder by literally grabbing it with my mech, hopping out, and beating the enemy pilot in a fistfight to hijack his 'mech.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Voting A. Go with the fight you can win first, plus I don't think we have salvage from the Breakthrough.

Question: Does the Defender controls the battlefield observation mean there's no chance of salvage for B?

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Ninurta posted:

Voting A. Go with the fight you can win first, plus I don't think we have salvage from the Breakthrough.

Question: Does the Defender controls the battlefield observation mean there's no chance of salvage for B?

I totally missed that. Thanks for pointing that out.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

HereticMIND posted:

I totally missed that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Is there an option to turn on our employer and betray them to the enemy? Nobody keeps me from both Star League tech and PPCs and gets away with it! :argh:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

In that case, B becomes a race to GTFO.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

Is there an option to turn on our employer and betray them to the enemy? Nobody keeps me from both Star League tech and PPCs and gets away with it! :argh:

Unfortunately, that isn't an option we can take for two reasons:

1. It's currently not possible with the ruleset of AtB my version (0.46.1) is using. Nor has it ever been in any AtB ruleset I've used, as far as I can remember.

2. Even if it were, it'd incur such a MAJOR contract breach and SEVERELY penalize us, making it so that any future employers would want to stay faaaaaaaaaar away from us as possible (yes, even the ones connected to pirates). No one would want to work with us because we'd be considered wild cards.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

HereticMIND posted:

2. Even if it were, it'd incur such a MAJOR contract breach and SEVERELY penalize us, making it so that any future employers would want to stay faaaaaaaaaar away from us as possible (yes, even the ones connected to pirates). No one would want to work with us because we'd be considered wild cards.

Yeah, I understand that, but I'm still gonna hold it against the jerks for denying us our rightful salvage. How do they even expect us to make money?

EDIT: And just as an aside, I'd like us all to take a moment and reflect on how screwed we're getting and how much better off we'd likely be had we gone with the vastly less costly Contract 3. Even with literally the exact same missions on the board, we'd have spent less in overhead, so even in the somewhat likely event we get no salvage from either mission, our losses would be minor unless we lose a 'mech or something. Assuming we're still solvent after these missions, we're gonna need to see some primo salvage later on if we're going to break even.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 26, 2020

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
:siren:The Defender will hold the field in Mission 2. That means no salvage for us. :siren:
You need to destroy 50%+ of the enemy in mission one to get salvage.

This is not what we needed to see with our focus on salvage.

1: B So you remember that killing folks is just a distraction on your way to the exit. I would almost recommend telling your slowest unit to run off the wrong board edge just to save something from this disastrous mission.

2: A I want you to reroll whatever will make it more difficult for the enemy to shoot you. My best guess is Weather if that is not specific enough.

edit: oops, point already made

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Fighting at night is probably the best hit reduction unless we can roll up a hurricane.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
gently caress yeah I get an Orion! THE Classic Heavy Mech of the Inner Sphere baby.

Vote:

A for Mission
B reroll Terrain, something easier for us to run over maybe?

kirsus
Oct 9, 2012

Buncha freaks. I'll kill you all. well you know, in theory #166

paarp
Lipstick Apathy
Well, them deploying their Star League tech where we aren't in a position to salvage it is hardly fair on their part. :colbert: Not that I'd thought anyone out this far would have any to deploy against us. I guess that's why House Marik has us doing their dirty work for them. Good Luck to Alpha and Charlie lances! Our first deployment's looking tough but I'm sure you guys can pull it off!

Let's see Mission A first. It seems to promise a bit more combat action than the try and survive factor of Mission B.

Speaking of Mission B, I think we should maybe A - Re-roll the Weather Dusk/Dawn already gives a penalty to hit so maybe trying to get another from the weather would help our chances of surviving.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

:frogsiren:ROUGHLY SEVEN HOURS LEFT BEFORE THE VOTE CLOSES!:frogsiren:

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
A first.
About rerolling - is the terrain we're given one likely to be with ample cover, or not? I mean, if we ain't getting paid for shooting...
(Also, do you can't/won't rename mechs, or just missed my request?)

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Recon raid first. I hate those missions, but at least you've got decent weather to maybe get someone over and back. Such a pain in the rear end having to let a guy sit there for two turns.

And reroll the weather, hope your dudes can get some worse weather and run like gently caress. I would recommend against rerolling terrain, you're facing a lot of vehicles and having some mountains to maybe slow them down and kill line of sight is the way to go.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Gun Jam posted:

A first.
About rerolling - is the terrain we're given one likely to be with ample cover, or not? I mean, if we ain't getting paid for shooting...
(Also, do you can't/won't rename mechs, or just missed my request?)

Sorry; I must’ve missed your request. That’s my bad.

The next autocannon focused ‘Mech we buy/salvage will be named Maxim. This is on me; I totally biffed this.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

goatface posted:

Fighting at night is probably the best hit reduction unless we can roll up a hurricane.

No, fighting at night is loving suicide on an escape/breakthrough mission, because darkness also imposes a penalty to movement and lots of things have searchlights (including our 'Mechs) that make night fighting modifiers basically pointless unless you're not shooting at all (in which case 'only' a couple of the enemy have them). Jump jets help, but if there's anything stuck with ground movement it's going to take forever.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Reminder that the vote closes in roughly THREE AND A HALF HOURS!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Do A.

vv: ok

goatface fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 26, 2020

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Bold your choice, please, or your vote might not be counted!

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

If we've gotta do both missions anyway, let's start with B so we at least have intact robots and uninjured robot drivers to run it with. And reroll weather, because hurricanes straightup instakill anything that's not a robot and I think that's hillarious.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

ROUGHLY ONE HOUR UNTIL CUTOFF! GET YOUR VOTES IN!

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

:siren:POLL IS CLOSED!:siren:

With a WHOPPING 14 votes, THE RECON RAID WILL HAPPEN FIRST!

As for the reroll, we will attempt to use it to get better terrain! It was a close vote between the terrain and weather, but the terrain won out!

Now, to gather screenshots!

EDIT: Apparently, this mission is intent on kicking my rear end. I keep having to restart because of bullshit. When I've finally gotten enough screenshots and have actually completed the mission (one way or the other), I'll post the update. Right now, I've got to sleep.

EDIT TWO: Turns out that I was hosting some family today (a relatively small group, don’t worry) so I might not have enough time to get any screenshots. Sorry for keeping y’all waiting!

EDIT THREE: FINALLY have screenshots! Will upload them tomorrow and get working on the update. If you've been keeping an eye on the MechWarrior list, you'll get a rough idea of how it went.

HereticMIND fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 28, 2020

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

CAMPAIGN ONE, UPDATE ONE: CUT THOSE TEETH! (PART TWO--MISSION ONE: RECON RAID)

I start things off by quickly heading over to the Unit Market to grab something a little beefier for Charlie Lance. Hopefully, by the time they deploy for their mission, they'll fare a bit better than my previous test runs.

The Assassin -21 is an ok scout 'Mech for its weight class; not too powerful on the gun front but drat faster than most of our lights and a bit more armored, too. At the very least it'll be able to keep pace with the rest of its lance.

I hand the ASN-21 over to Nasir, swapping him out of the Firestarter (in retrospect I should've kept the Firestarter in the lance and swapped out one of the bugs; probably would've helped me more). Everything looks ok; let's head over to the Briefing Room and reroll the terrain for the Breakthrough mission.

...In all honesty, I was hoping for a better roll. I mean, at least we're not dealing with sheer cliffsides anymore? And who knows, the tanks might get stuck in a hole, so it'll be fine, right? Right?

:sigh: This mission is gonna suck, isn't it.

Great. Just great. PERFECT. A minor contract breach on our employer's part, and it screws with our logistics/resupplying efforts. I'm sure everything will be fine.

Alright, I advance time one more day and now, it's time to drop. Let's get to it.

(This is going to be a severely truncated synopsis; I have way too many screenshots to pick from so I'm just gonna give y'all the highlights)

Let's see if I can't weigh the scales a bit. I've ticked the "Shifting Wind Strength" and "Shifting Wind Direction" buttons in the hopes the map spawns with stronger winds. It doesn't work the way I intended it to, but points for trying, I guess?

Map of the mission (ABOVE--Plain View, BOTTOM--Elevation Levels)

Deployment order

I deploy Charlie Lance to the northeastern most corner of the map; in all my test runs, splitting them up along the northern edge seemed to lead to disaster.

OPFOR bunches up in the center, as expected. You'd expect them to take their sweet time before they'd start engaging me, but no, their tanks are too fast and their ‘Mechs have long range weapons. I can already tell that this is going to suck.

What I was not expecting was the friendly Jenner deploying so close to me; I'd honestly thought that they'd be dumb and deploy on the other side of the map like they've done in my previous attempts. Maybe things are, in fact, looking up for us?

Oh for gently caress's sake! C'MON! Work with me here! Stay with the group, dumbass! This is why I gave you buddies in some of my test runs!

Oh thank god. Their ECM is still active and they can still shoot, but drat if that isn't a convenient stroke of luck to start with.

gently caress it, I say, as I make a run for the southern edge of the map. Forget the Jenner, it's dead to us. Just loving run. All my other 'Mechs follow suit along this vector.

The Zephyrs try to TAG the Jenner, with one managing it. This doesn't actually do any damage (as far as I'm aware), it just makes it easier for artillery to hit (which, thankfully, the OPFOR doesn't have).

Most of the OPFOR targets the Jenner, which is ok for me as it means that they're not targeting me.

The Jenner tries to return the favor. The keyword is try. Those target numbers aren't pretty to look at.

(Shown here: ASN-21 weapon allocation)

I really shouldn't throw stones, though. I can barely hit anything.

Predictably, things don't work out the way the Jenner wants them to.

And then the Jenner is punished for its hubris, taking a tumble and landing on its rear end. gently caress, and this mission was going so well, too. Goddammit.

I keep heading south and come up against the ECM net the three (technically four) Zephyrs have set up (if my memory serves, ECMs wreck C3 networks; not an issue for me, seeing as how I'm not running with any C3 capable 'Mechs).

The Jenner gets back up and tries to vaingloriously charge at the oncoming OPFOR, possibly in a bid to buy me time. If it pays off, it will at most buy me a turn.

The Jenner's sacrifice play doesn't look like it'll buy me a turn.

Especially when the OPFOR has me zeroed in. Yes, they have crap modifiers, but I've seen some bullshit be pulled before in my test runs. I am in no mood to restart this mission at this point.

Still, the Marik Jenner is determined to make this work. If their attack rolls were better, the Thorn would've been toast. Who knows, they might've made a decent trade.

I highly doubt they'll be of much help now, though.

The OPFOR gets a lucky shot against me. Believe me when I say that I wasn't too worried about this when I really should've been.

Both my Wasp and my Stinger attempt to make kicks against the closest hovercraft, hoping to immobilize them and cause them to sink. Hey, it's happened to me before in my previous campaigns.

They both fail but make their PSR checks.

Yeah, you can say goodbye to any goodwill we could build with our employer. Turns out ejecting into a freezing hellscape isn't the best idea. The more you know! (There was no way I could've saved them in time and I kinda had already written them off as cannon fodder at the start of the mission)

Turns Three and Four are more of the same; me trying to dodge shots from the OPFOR as they chase me to the southern edge.

I do manage to immobilize one of the other Zephyrs on Turn Three, though. Looking back on it now, this probably was the most luck I was going to get for a while.

OPFOR keeps taking potshots at me, but does nothing save to raise my blood pressure. Their shots go wide into the hills nearby.

My Javelin reaches the southern edge first, so they'll be on point for staying put for the next turn or so, and then once they're done, we have to book it as far north as we can get. Start the clock!

The rest of Charlie Lance tries to form a barrier between the OPFOR and the Javelin.

Now that we've reached one of our goals, the OPFOR starts taking more calculated shots. They miss for the most part, but they're starting to inch ever closer.

My Stinger tries going for the immobilization but biffs it. The crew is stunned, but they can still move and still shoot.

In a moment that's equal parts desperation, panic, and sheer stupidity, I jump both my Stinger and my Wasp right in the middle of the oncoming OPFOR swarm. In retrospect, I really shouldn't have done this and should've instead had them in opposite directions to at least pincer the OPFOR. However, I didn't want my Javelin creamed and my shiny new Assassin turned to scrap, so I rolled the dice and prayed to whatever gods were watching that this would work.

I somehow get extremely lucky and watch as one of the more dangerous fast movers skids off the field.

My Javelin gets some good hits on one of the Beagle Hover Scouts. Not the immobilization I was wishing for, but drat did I slow that thing down.

Oh man, oh, man! This might pay off!

Yes...yes! One more tank has to fire; it needs a nine, but it's a low chance! C'MON!

:stonk:

:livintrope:

SONUVABITCH. What the actual gently caress! WHY! WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME! GodFUCKINGdammit! For gently caress'S sake!

My gamble fails MISERABLY because of some bullshit lucky roll! (Even now, I'm still incredibly salty.)

At this point, I'm in no mood to deal with any more bullshit the bot tries to throw at me. I decide to call it here and make my way north.

The bot decides to take two more of my 'Mechs down; probably outta spite.

Doesn't matter, because I've won. In the pettiest and pedantic way possible, but I've finally won.

MISSION ONE: PENDANTIC VICTORY

POST MISSION

As a "reward" for a job that's well done, I'm able to get a civilian 'Mech and three AsTechs.

The Commando is kinda weird for its weight class. It's a light 'Mech, which means it's good for scouting, but this thing is built for brawling, which lights typically do not do. This variant is especially weird because Large Lasers are heat intensive, which means that this thing is supposed to be a sniper? Yeah, no, no. You're sticking to a scout role, buddy; if I wanted a light 'Mech that was a sniper, I'd spring for a Panther -9R.

I then hire a new MechWarrior and a new MechTech to pilot the thing and maintain it, respectively.

I'm still kinda mad at both myself and the bot for biffing this mission so hard. Dammit, and it was going so well, too! Gah, why'd the bot have to get so drat lucky?!

Still, things can only go up from here, right?

~~~~~~~

Charlie Lance as of Mission One--note that I called up Damas from the Reserves and hired Izzy Monaco to fill the gaps left behind by Fabio and Norman

Active Roster as of Mission One

MIA List as of Mission One

KIA List/Roll of Honor as of Mission One

~~~~~~~

If you wanna submit callsigns for the survivors of Mission One, please remember to BOLD your submissions!

HereticMIND fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jul 29, 2020

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe
Yeaaaah, sometimes the ATB missions are absolute dogshit. Still, I'm blown away as to just how much advanced tech it's throwing at you in 3025 from a faction that... well, I don't know them honestly but I wouldn't think they'd have almost any stores of it. Always throws TONS of vehicles at you which fair, vehicles aren't as good as mechs, but if you throw 2x the number and 3x the tonnage.... well, those vehicles are gonna gently caress something up really hard unless you get lucky.

Stinks that happened though. Light mech battles are always scary since even a medium laser at times can start causing internal damage and some light mechs *coughWASPcough* Don't even have the 9 head armor and 3 internal structure most have so can't survive let's say.... a lucky large laser to the head.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
And this was supposed to be the easy mission! :gonk:

Salaam Bhai should get the callsign Buzzkill cause he lived through a mission where both his Stinger and a Wasp got taken down.

Also, to borrow something from Poptart's thread, i'm gonna say the Mech of the Mission was the Javelin. Did the job, did some damage, sadly didn't make it out.

The Enemy "Mech" of the Mission is, of course, the danged Chevalier Light Tank #2 that blew up the Wasp with a lucky roll.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 29, 2020

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
My guy looked almost competent there for a while, before showing his back armor to the OPFOR. :v:

I've only played HBS Battletech, so maybe this is how things are supposed to be, but aren't these two missions kind of a lot of armor to chew through? I'm assuming BV means Battle Value, and, going with that value, we were severely undergunned in this mission.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

My guy looked almost competent there for a while, before showing his back armor to the OPFOR. :v:

I've only played HBS Battletech, so maybe this is how things are supposed to be, but aren't these two missions kind of a lot of armor to chew through? I'm assuming BV means Battle Value, and, going with that value, we were severely undergunned in this mission.

Yes, yes there was. If you look back, the enemy BV is actually listed at the top of the enemy unit selection...

and you'll notice it's around 9700. So yeah, even accounting for the allied Jenner, they had nearly triple our BV. Discounting it, it was roughly 4x our lance. The enemy OPFOR getting more BV isn't necessarily wrong (though that differential is a LOT), since both the AI may not play the best and they're more spread out as opposed to you being concentrated, but the other issue is that so many of them were fast hovertanks and so could cross huge chunks of the map in a single turn, so you weren't getting the situation where you could theoretically engage only a portion of the enemy team at a time.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 29, 2020

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That disparity was kind of reasonable back when the bot was a certifiable moron and the mission was definitely supposed to prioritize the objective over killing eveything.

The Princess bot now is arguably better than a lot of actual players and this kind of BV disparity is loving dumb.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Is there any way to go "gently caress you, client, this is not what we agreed to"? Getting screwed over by clients like that seems like it might be a good mechanic if there's something you can actually do about it.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Foxfire_ posted:

Is there any way to go "gently caress you, client, this is not what we agreed to"? Getting screwed over by clients like that seems like it might be a good mechanic if there's something you can actually do about it.

Unfortunately, those particular rules don’t seem to be implemented in the rules-set of AtB I’m using. They’re mentioned in the rulebook AtB is based off of, though (Campaign Operations, pgs. 47-48). For now, we just have to deal with it.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Foxfire_ posted:

So, contract success is determined by a cumulative score at the end (or at least it used to be). You'd get +2 points for a victory, -1 for a defeat, -2 for a mission ignored, -1 for a minor contract breach (i.e. taking too much salvage), and +1 for an employer minor contract breach (we've seen one of those already).

If your client fucks you over frequently enough you can just kind of ignore the last third of the contract and still come out with a success where MRB will agree with you and still award the balance of payment.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
You can always tell your mechs to just leave during all the fights. I think this would balance out your employer's breach of contract if you did it once. Probably terrible for your long term reputation.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Might as well sell that primitive commando, because drat, the metal baby isn't great to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

evilmiera posted:

Might as well sell that primitive commando, because drat, the metal baby isn't great to begin with.

...I had no idea that it was primitive. GodFUCKINGdammit. When it rains, it loving pours.