Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bio force ape
Apr 3, 2016
most people aren't mentally and emotionally equipped to do animal husbandry on a murderdog, however they are perfectly capable of being pets. they were never meant to be in the hands of civilians and now our shelters are overrun by them. it suxx bc I like them but the ones I know are the exception to the rule bc people are dumb assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

pit bulls should probably just be euthanized en masse in order to prevent every hare brained doofus from going out and rescuing 2-3 and then neglecting them in a perpetual cycle of violence and stupidity

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
One of my high school acquaintances is a huge pit bull advocate who loves to talk about how friendly her pit bull is because it's the "owner, not the breed" and she raised it right. Just like, don't bring any other animal when visiting, tell your kid to keep their distance, don't make any sudden movements or raise your voice when near her or the dog, etc.

(She had two pits previously that she will not under any circumstance talk about why/how she "lost" both of them at the same time)

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i have run the numbers and apparently a pitbull does 5-6 benghazis each year in america. if pitbulls were democrats, they would spend several full working weeks each year testifying in front of house and senate committees over these benghazis

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

Yikes :staredog:

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
he's just a little hungry, i say as i pet my growling pit on the head and he clamps down on my hand

haha he's just playing. he tears the hand off and noisely devours it

oh he just does that sometimes, you just have to have your palms out when you reach toward him. I've been thinking of getting him a new chew toy

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Dolphin posted:

he's just a little hungry, i say as i pet my growling pit on the head and he clamps down on my hand

haha he's just playing. he tears the hand off and noisely devours it

oh he just does that sometimes. I've been thinking of getting him a new chew toy

according to my weed guy severe bites that result in losing use of your hand for over a week and having to wrap it in thick bandages are just a normal part of pitbull ownership. while he said this, one of his two pitbulls was jumping on me and gnawing at my hand

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

why don't they make the entire pitbull out of weed

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Feeling like a conservative quoting fbi crime statistics but uhh yeah pitbulls are consistently the most common breed to murder children so there is that. I'm sure you could make a really tedious argument about the popularity of the breed and socio-economics. That being said I've been around lovely super kind pits but they were not rescued and owner spoiled them more than her kids. I've had rescue dogs my entire life and its so fulfilling to see those dogs grow but most still have some form of extreme trauma or stress that manifests in totally unpredictable fashion. I would imagine its a lot easier to calm down retriever who becomes inconsolable if someone slams a door or stomps their feet than a pit who is genetically designed to maul children.

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
one of my friends has a pit and she was going on facebook tirades about how it's the owner etc... then a few days ago it bit one of her toddlers on the face. Guess she's just a lovely owner.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if we got rid of the worst murderdogs the owners would just get rottweilers instead, then bulldogs and whatever else they can abuse until it murders daily

VideoKid
Jul 28, 2006

My cousin has two pit bulls and ones a good dog and the other just pees on everything. Once at a party the dog peed on one of my Aunt’s designer purses that coat like $5k so that was pretty funny.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

did u kno a pitbull is 90% more likely to be killed by another pitbull than a cop? why don't u protest that libs

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
didn't lowtax own and/or advocate for pitbulls?

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

[low tax tweting at his pitbull] god hates you

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dick wizard posted:

one of my friends has a pit and she was going on facebook tirades about how it's the owner etc... then a few days ago it bit one of her toddlers on the face. Guess she's just a lovely owner.
for some reason people think being nice to a murder machine is adequate socialization but actual socialization is a painstaking process that most owners don't know the first thing about so they should probably just get a french bulldog

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

the worse thing about pit bulls is the owners. emancipate the put bulls. to the streets let them roam

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Dolphin posted:

for some reason people think being nice to a murder machine is adequate socialization but actual socialization is a painstaking process that most owners don't know the first thing about so they should probably just get a french bulldog

a french bulldog is a tortured little being that can't breathe properly, why not get a nice normal dog with functioning airways?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
You know who else wanted to exterminate an entire breed...

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
look at this poor little babby in jail

all he did was eat a jogger, let him out

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Dave Concepcion posted:

a french bulldog is a tortured little being that can't breathe properly, why not get a nice normal dog with functioning airways?

100% serious, unless you're getting a working dog and actually using it for work a mutt is almost always the better choice

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dave Concepcion posted:

wikipedia tells me all you have to do is hose it off with extremely frigid water 3 times a day and it'll be fine

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

Mayor Dave posted:

100% serious, unless you're getting a working dog and actually using it for work a mutt is almost always the better choice

yeah mutts own

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

this thread is antisemitic

quote:

The Jews of the Canine World
Pit bulls have been unfairly stereotyped as genetically dangerous monsters. Sound familiar?
BY MARJORIE INGALL
JUNE 13, 2016

I’ve always loved dogs that look like pit bulls: wide and smiling faces, goofy expressions, broad chests, sturdy bodies, short coats, enthusiastic tails. I grew up not knowing about dog fighting, or about this breed’s vicious reputation. My terror was reserved for German shepherds (my equally frightened little brother tremulously called them “sheffers”), with their pointy, mean faces and loud barks. There were some territorial ones in the yards in my Providence, Rhode Island, neighborhood.

But after moving to New York, I came to understand that pit bulls are hated. My little East Village copy shop, where we got Josie’s bat mitzvah invitations, has a big, short-coated, wide-chested, flat-faced dog behind the counter. His name is Curtis. He comes when you call and accepts head-pats with dignity. But when I asked the owner, Santo, what kind of dog Curtis was, he hesitated. “He’s a mix,” Santo said. “Terrier, other things … pit bull.” He clearly was reluctant to say those two words. He thought I’d recoil.

You know what people say about pit bulls: Violence is in their genes. They have double rows of teeth. Their jaws can unhinge like a snake’s. Their jaws lock after they bite. They don’t feel pain the way other dogs do. In 1987, U.S. News and World Report called them “the most dangerous dog in America,” able to “chomp through chain-link fences.” The Guardian called pit bulls “dogs of war who can bite through concrete.” Time called them “time bombs on legs” and started a story on them with a quote from The Hound of the Baskervilles:

Fire burst from its open mouth, its eyes glowed with a smouldering glare, its muzzle and hackles and dewlap were outlined in flickering flame. Never in the delirious dream of a disordered brain could anything more savage, more appalling, more hellish, be conceived than that dark form and savage face.
A friend had her family dog genetically tested, and when she discovered it had some pit bull lineage, she gave it away. Her kids sobbed. But what if the dog just lost it one day? That’s what pit bulls do, right?

None of this, of course, is true. Bronwen Dickey’s fascinating new book Pit Bull: The Battle Over an American Icon charts the evolution of pit bull stereotyping. (It begins with a quote from André Gide: “There are very few monsters who warrant the fear we have of them.”) In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, pit bulls were considered the family-friendliest dogs. Dogs that looked like them served in the Battle of Gettysburg and in Normandy. One accompanied Laura Ingalls Wilder’s family in their covered-wagon journey across the prairie. Helen Keller owned and adored one. Another (named Votes!) accompanied suffragist Virginia Watrous on the campaign trail in 1915. Still another starred in the “His Master’s Voice” campaign for RCA and another in the “Our Gang” kiddie comedies. Dickey observes that pit bulls were then seen as “quintessentially American: good-natured, brave, resilient, and dependable.” But within a few decades, they’d become DNA-driven vicious beasts, “biologically hardwired to kill.”

You know what these stereotypes and assumptions, the notion that genetic heritage will out, reminds me of? Yup. The historic beliefs about Jewish phrenology and physiognomy, the idea that we have horns, the notion that we’re genetically driven to be shifty, money-grubbing, and pervy. They’re as grounded in truth as stereotypes about pit bulls—the Jews of the canine world.
https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/community/articles/pit-bulls-jews-of-the-canine-world

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah, you guys arguing that pits are dangerous are literally the same as pol pot

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Drowning In Terror posted:

Stereotypical female pibble owners are worse than stereotypical male pitbull owners change my mind

this is true with no exceptions

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah, women are the worst. when they own pitbulls.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

:chord: :biotruths:

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
is claiming that herd dogs might be predisposed to be good at herding also literal nazism?

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

most dog owners should not own dogs. it seems that almost no one knows how to properly train a dog, and owners are not willing or able to put in the work to learn how, in a way that is fair and ethical to the dog.

humans are cruel, stupid beasts

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

a pitbull can instinctively heil hitler. responsible owners train it out of them

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

DarkEuphoria posted:

most dog owners should not own dogs. it seems that almost no one knows how to properly train a dog, and owners are not willing or able to put in the work to learn how, in a way that is fair and ethical to the dog.

it's unfortunate because if you do know how to raise a dog they own

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
My pyr treats the yard and my kids like they're her property. Does she need more socialization??

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

DarkEuphoria posted:

my furbabies need heckin boops

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dustcat posted:

a pitbull can instinctively heil hitler. responsible owners train it out of them
no that's a GSD

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Mayor Dave posted:

it's unfortunate because if you do know how to raise a dog they own

fact. dogs rule. it’s by virtue of them ruling so hard, that they don’t eat/murder all humans, all the time.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

It's extremely hosed up and weird to be obsessed with a breed of dog to this degree. Perhaps examine your own life before you judge others OP.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I need to find a woman like this!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

pitties rule. sweet dogs