Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

cumpantry posted:

lol that they cancelled this for the worst call of duty of all time bar freaking none

BLOPS 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Re: Fear Effect -

The only controversy I remember about that series, aside from the risque ad campaign for the second game is that the working title was originally Fear Factor, but Eidos changed it because they didn't want a lawsuit

Not from the TV show, which didn't exist yet

From the band, Fear Factory (who loving owns)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Silhouette posted:

The only controversy I remember about that series, aside from the risque ad campaign for the second game is that the working title was originally Fear Factor, but Eidos changed it because they didn't want a lawsuit

Fear Effect is a better name anyway. If somewhat misleading since it's not really much of a horror game until you get to the 3rd disc, and even then only the second half of it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I'd really love to ask someone who worked on Fear Effect 2 about the game, because the more I look into it the more it seems that a bunch of stuff was cut for space. What was meant to happen in New York, dammit!

(And also find out what the cancelled Fear Effect Inferno's story was going to be. At the very least Minkz had better have got what he deserved at the end, since he executed Hana and sent her to Hell.)

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

id rather replay Blops3 3 times than even half of Ghosts, it is that bad and boring

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
blops3 at least tried to go for something even if it was uh. not great, compared to "oh no space mexicans here's a dog"

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Yeah Blops3 was an ambitious mess, Ghosts was mainly just a mess. Hilarious ending though, a super hype sequel hook out of nowhere that will never be followed up on.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

hell blops3 isn't even the worst blops, that'd be the vita one that has about 40 minutes of content

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Silhouette posted:

the music owns but is there a band that's been more of a whiny legal soap opera this century? I posit not.

also ditching gene hoglan by essentially ghosting him, what the gently caress

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

hexwren posted:

the music owns but is there a band that's been more of a whiny legal soap opera this century? I posit not.

Hall & Oates is pretty high up there

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Supertramp also has a lot of issues between songwriters. It's why last I checked only half of most albums are online for streaming.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

hexwren posted:

Mostly Dino being a diva I think

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Got two things that I wanted to share, since I found them recently, and wanted to share them now before I forget.

The first is something that I just happened to stumble across by accident. I was watching a stream where the streamer was talking about Skyrim and they made a comment/joke about 'what if this dungeon had a beholder?' It made me curious if there was a mod that added beholders to Skyrim (which there is), but in doing a Google search, one of the top results was from the Elder Scrolls Fandom Wiki. Apparently, there were going to be Beholders in Elder Scrolls 1: Arena, but they were cut.

Beholder | Elder Scrolls | Fandom posted:

Beholders were a creature cut from a very early version of The Elder Scrolls: Arena.

Trivia
+ They only appear in a May 20th, 1993 issue of the French computing magazine Gen4, however this creature is mentioned in 62 of the 93 .inf files of the retail version of the game, suggesting it was cut late in development.

That prompted me to try and find the said issue online to see the rest of the article. I haven't found the issue yet, but it did lead me into finding the second thing.

-

The second thing is related to the game The Last Dynasty. It's not a very well known game, but it's one that very familiar to me because I played it when I was young. It was developed by Coktel Vision, and published by Sierra (who acquired Coktel Vision in 1992).

It's sort of a pseduo-sequel to the Inca games; while being in a completely different setting, the games are the same in how they're split between space combat and a first-person adventure segment. The space combat isn't on the same level as something like Wing Commander, though.

Anyway, in going through a couple of archived issues of Génération 4 magazine to find the TES: Arena article, I found a two page spread for The Last Dynasty (https://archive.org/details/generation4-magazine-068/G%C3%A9n%C3%A9ration%204%20068/page/n63/mode/2up - page 64-65 if the link doesn't take you directly to it).

Through this article (the text of which I copied and pasted into DeepL to get a translation), I found that the original working title of the game was Veltion.

It also features a screenshot of the cockpit, which differs vastly from the one used in the final game:

In addition to all of this, there was something I learned about roughly a year ago that blew my mind. I remembered that some of the games by Dynamix (another studio also acquired by Sierra) got ports to the Sega CD so I went onto Sega Retro to look up some more information. There's a page for both Dynamix and Sierra On-Line.

Via the Sierra On-Line page, I saw that at one point, there were planned ports for some of the Sierra adventures to come to the Sega CD (King's Quest V, Leisure Suit Larry 1, Police Quest III, Space Quest IV, and Mixed-Up Mother Goose) but never materialized.

However, under the section for Sega Saturn there were two listings that caught my eye: 3D Ultra Pinball and The Last Dynasty. Both were cancelled, but on the page for The Last Dynasty, I saw that it had a screenshot for the title screen.

Turns out, back in 2021, there was a dump on Hidden Palace of the Sega Saturn port of The Last Dynasty! Turns out it close to being complete when it was cancelled, but from a search on YouTube, there's a playthrough showing that the game can still be completed. It's got a different UI from the PC version, and most impressively, whereas all the space craft in the PC version were sprites, in the Saturn version, they're now 3D models.

I know this probably isn't a big deal compared to some other games that get discussed here, but I was completely flabbergasted when I discovered that this weird, old, extremely obscure game that I played 25+ years ago not only had a Sega Saturn port planned, but said port got leaked just a couple of years ago. I wanted to share what I found so there'd be some record of it, and where others would see it.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 24, 2024

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Hell yeah, that story ruled.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Agrias120 posted:

Hell yeah, that story ruled.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

I know this probably isn't a big deal compared to some other games that get discussed here,

:wrong: this kind of thing is rad as hell and I love scrapped ports that were close to completion

I found out a few weeks ago that apparently Blizzard planned to bring Diablo to the N64 and I'm curious how far they made it into the planning stages before scrapping it. A four-player Diablo 1 on the 64 would have loving ruled back in the day

A lot of those would-be ports would have at least been interesting lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Good soup! posted:

:wrong: this kind of thing is rad as hell and I love scrapped ports that were close to completion

I found out a few weeks ago that apparently Blizzard planned to bring Diablo to the N64 and I'm curious how far they made it into the planning stages before scrapping it. A four-player Diablo 1 on the 64 would have loving ruled back in the day

A lot of those would-be ports would have at least been interesting lol

Cannot even begin to imagine how hard it would be to see the already hard to see D1 sprites with the lovely N64 sprite filtering lmao

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Oh it would have definitely looked loving terrible lol

But it still would have kicked rear end because gently caress it, it's Diablo with three friends and not having to gently caress around with dial up or getting the third friend to borrow his dad's computer

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

they somehow got starcraft working on the n64

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

My brother's friend and his dad loved playing SC64 against each other, very blessed

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Max Wilco posted:

The first is something that I just happened to stumble across by accident. I was watching a stream where the streamer was talking about Skyrim and they made a comment/joke about 'what if this dungeon had a beholder?' It made me curious if there was a mod that added beholders to Skyrim (which there is), but in doing a Google search, one of the top results was from the Elder Scrolls Fandom Wiki. Apparently, there were going to be Beholders in Elder Scrolls 1: Arena, but they were cut.

That prompted me to try and find the said issue online to see the rest of the article. I haven't found the issue yet, but it did lead me into finding the second thing.
It's actually the october 1993 issue, number 59, page 46. However, It's a general double spread page on upcoming RPGs shown at summer CES 93, there's just that picture and one line about how the game looks quite nice. It also refers back to issue 57 (page 116), which has more shots, also from CES 93 but doesn't really say much apart from stats. That one was the one that likely came out at the end of may and was mistakenly cited as the source. You can also look at issues 40 and 41 of other french mag Joystick, and 117 of Tilt for other screenshots from that time, none of them featuring the beholder.

Chev fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 25, 2024

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
there's an ongoing fundraiser "to pay someone for the release of 10 builds of a Shantae game". the going price is something like $1250 total, which as someone who has purchased a fair few prototypes, is what i would classify as "a steal". (don't tell them this.)

really excited to see when (not if, hopefully) these get out. i have no particular interest in shantae, but wayforward stuff has always been on my radar since i found out about the "wf code" they put into a bunch of their games :v:

(e: i am not endorsing this fundraiser and am not aware if i know anyone involved)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Zamujasa posted:

there's an ongoing fundraiser "to pay someone for the release of 10 builds of a Shantae game". the going price is something like $1250 total, which as someone who has purchased a fair few prototypes, is what i would classify as "a steal". (don't tell them this.)

really excited to see when (not if, hopefully) these get out. i have no particular interest in shantae, but wayforward stuff has always been on my radar since i found out about the "wf code" they put into a bunch of their games :v:

(e: i am not endorsing this fundraiser and am not aware if i know anyone involved)

what is the "wf code"?

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Yeah, you can’t just dangle that overhead and not say what it is.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
it's like the konami code in that it's something they put in most of their games, but the sequence of buttons is their phone number.

On the title screen, use the D-Pad to enter the code Left x 2, Right x 8, Left x 6, Right x 2, Left x 7, Right x 6, Left x 9 (Derived from WayForward's phone number, (661) 286-2769)

this one comes from mighty switch force, but some earlier games used it, including shantae on the gbc

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
aaaaaaaaaay https://archive.org/details/riskys-revenge-builds.-7z

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Timesplitters 4 for the sony ps3

https://twitter.com/VinciusMedeiro6/status/1763764004957110438?t=qz_1-aXWVOQhfkxFINeIfg&s=19

Dude was about to buy a random ps3 off ebay and the seller had a screenshot of an install of ts4 on it, confused, started probing the guy with questions and the seller booted into it and its real. Turns out its an old system (old firmware too) from a friend of his from back when the studio got killed and the seller ended up with it. Buyer as now bought it and is gonna dump it

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 2, 2024

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I wonder how complete it is, because God drat, that is an amazing find.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s so sad that the reformed FR weren’t even able to release an HD port of something before being canned.

Looking forward to seeing whatever that discovery is.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s so sad that the reformed FR weren’t even able to release an HD port of something before being canned.

Looking forward to seeing whatever that discovery is.

well there is that one hidden in Homefront.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

well there is that one hidden in Homefront.

Oh man i forgot about that lol, kept meaning to pick it up

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

Timesplitters 4 for the sony ps3

https://twitter.com/VinciusMedeiro6/status/1763764004957110438?t=qz_1-aXWVOQhfkxFINeIfg&s=19

Dude was about to buy a random ps3 off ebay and the seller had a screenshot of an install of ts4 on it, confused, started probing the guy with questions and the seller booted into it and its real. Turns out its an old system (old firmware too) from a friend of his from back when the studio got killed and the seller ended up with it. Buyer as now bought it and is gonna dump it

holy poo poo that's insane lol

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Randalor posted:

I wonder how complete it is, because God drat, that is an amazing find.
The stories I've heard about the cancelled Timesplitters 4 in the past suggest that only one level - a castle with lots of characters - was built as a tech-demo to present to publishers. Those screenshots are of a castle, so it tracks.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wow, the PS3 finally has a game

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Good soup! posted:

Part of this is a view into what blizzard was like as a company in the 90’s
Market for PCs was quite a bit smaller than consoles so it made sense to try porting.

I wonder if they considered a port of Diablo 2 to PS2 or, more likely, Xbox given the storage and RAM requirements.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Well Diablo got a PS1 port so it wasn't entirely unexpected.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

njsykora posted:

Well Diablo got a PS1 port so it wasn't entirely unexpected.

It also has a Swedish language option, which apparently is just quite rare for a mature game and very amusing to Swedish folks.

Edit: To clarify, just the PS1 has Swedish, but you can mod it in the PC version these days.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 3, 2024

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

It also has a Swedish language option, which apparently is just quite rare for a mature game and very amusing to Swedish folks.

:black101: "FÄRSKT KÖTT!"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

Edit: To clarify, just the PS1 has Swedish, but you can mod it in the PC version these days.

Stanna en stund och lyssna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Yeah,I've been bringing Swedish Diablo to LAN parties for years now, and we've never gotten to the Butcher, because we keep laughing ourselves to death at the dubbing.