Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
What's the deal with the trek 520 - says the model is archived on their website.

New model next year? Discontinued?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

CopperHound posted:

Probably just cleared out until the next production run.

E: looks like the latest 520 combines the worst of both quick release and thru axle on the fork. It is a QR wheel, but you have to completely remove the skewer to take the wheel off.

Haha I didn't even notice that.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
After a month or so I think I'm going to buy a Bombtrack Arise Tour to replace my 10 year old Bikesdirect Windsor tourist.

I'll only really ever commute on it but did go on a couple of 3-5day tours before I had kids and I keep thinking I'll go again someday.

good idea, great idea? I was looking at all the classic tourers and the bombtrack seemed to tick a lot of boxes out of the gate (bar end shifters, racks, dynamo, fenders).

https://www.bombtrack.com/complete-bikes/arise-tour
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/tourist-touring-bikes-v.htm

Surprisingly the REI Adv 1.1 seems good? The hydraulic disc brakes maybe seem appealing?

https://www.rei.com/product/220761/co-op-cycles-adv-11-bike

The Sutra was a contender but it looks like the latest model went back to brifters / front rack only.

edit: don't really wanna get a bike built up from the frame unless it makes a lot of sense to do so. Not too worried about cost (but still cognizant of it)

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
My mountain bike has hydros (but not the cable / hydro hybrid).

I figured they'd be like mechanical discs but slightly better due to the self adjusting pad mechanism. Or it could be the worst of both worlds. I haven't ridden the REI bike for what it's worth so not sure what the HY/RD feel like. No idea what the maintenance is like or how often you need to deal with the hydraulics.

The mechanical discs I've had have all been fine for the most part. Sometimes they're fiddly to adjust but that's probably more because I didn't know what I was doing at the time.

Any comments or concerns around bombtrack?

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

wooger posted:

It’s like 10 minutes to install a rear rack though…?
You really want bar end shifters over brifters? Why?

Re the bombtrack; not sure how much that is but the REI bike has a far better spec. Shimano Deore everything drivetrain wise is reassuring.

Bar ends is like 70% aesthetics, 20% because I want some spice in my life, and 10% because I liked using them the few times I've ridden bikes with em.

Bombtrack is 2500 - largely due to the dynamo setup over the REI bike. It is about 500 bucks more than the comparable Surly / Salsa / Kona offerings. +/-

Appreciate the insight. I'm really just deciding if a dynamo setup would be something I'm interested in I guess.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
For what it's worth my wife and I were in Banff in January for a conference/ski trip and it was cheaper to rent a small SUV than it was to take the shuttle from the Calgary airport there and back.

One way trip might be different on all fronts but the flexibility was appreciated.

I'm hoping to do the divide sometime in the next few years. Either when I inevitably get laid off or go on my "sabbatical" at the 5 year employed mark.

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Apr 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Jesse Ventura posted:

I'm just quitting my job for this, lol. :getin:

Hell yeah! Gonna be a good ride.