Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
My touring bikes
520 number 1

Cracked at seat stay weld. Made 95% of a trans-am.
This photo sucks because it is 2006.

520 number 2

Killed by someone who couldn't look for bikes
(Its blurry because I had been hit by a car)

Salsa Vaya

Cracked at seat stay. A few times. Whatever

Steve Rex

Not dead yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The closest frame to a trek 520 is an LHT.
I'd get the disc trucker though, disc are really much better and honestly in 20 years, if not now, easier to get and fix. I'd stick to cable v. hydro for touring.

I've always found light touring bikes too much of a compromise if you plan on typical 4 pannier fully loaded touring. My salsa vaya was a wobbly mess loaded. Watch out for surly's sizing, other than the LHT, they run very long and low, which is not really ideal for touring if you buy in size. A lot of really stupid bike stores cut surly steerers too short on the display floor and they never fit right. Surlys are supposed to have a huge stack of spacers, they literally market their forks as having steers that are strong enough to run any amount of spacers.

Somas can be good as well.

Comedy option if the rust is only surface rust is to get it stripped and powdercoated. I got my old trek done for $200 and that was with paying extra for bass boat purple v a simpler color.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

One of our local bike manufacturer (Ventana in Rancho Cordova, CA) will do powdercoats for that. Powdercoats do limit you to certain colors. Wet paint will look better, particularly on lugged, but powdercoat will cost way less and at least protect the bike.
I would recommend sticking to people who do a lot of bikes as you want someone who can treat it well.
You can likely replace all the decals through velocals if you care about that.
If you have a metal headbadge, make sure you keep that or have the powdercoater take it off before stripping. I think a headbadge with some experience on a freshly painted vintage frame looks great.

I do think those old treks are totally worth saving.

edit: I got my powdercoat 4-5 years ago, so it might cost a touch more now.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

^^^^^^
Even if it high end steel, it is generally going to be thicker and stiffer than a regular frame simply because of the necessary compromises to keep the bike from being a flexible flyer when loaded.

CopperHound posted:

I can't be a great judge from a picture, but it just looks like surface rust to me.

If you go the powder coat route, get your frame faced before reassembly. You should do that anyway if you buy a bare surly frame because they leave thick powder coat everywhere.

Q is so bad at QC. You should also make sure the frame straight.

A good bike powdercoater should face as a matter of course, but when you assume you make an rear end out of u and me.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

^^^^^^
Probably cheaper.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Trek still makes a 520 model and a 520 disc now. Framesets and complete

A modern 520 will be way different than a 83 520 though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Are you referring to the LHT chainstays crushing when people use kickstands they specifically tell you not to use?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah I’m saying that’s a good example of them not overbuilding, not that their frames aren’t robust where needed. I have owned and loved 4 surlys.

Surly now sells a plate that fixes the issue.

I do suspect the Salsa Marrakesh might be made out of slightly better steel that the LHT. It also has adjustable dropouts, which might help make the bike more sporty unloaded and stable loaded if you adjust them.
That said, honestly, frame only, if you're shopping a Maxway steel touring frame (QBP, Merry/Soma, Trek, Jamis, basically everything else), I'd shop on fit first and then braze-ons, tire/wheel size, and axle. Oh and paint. The fact that Salsa doesn't sell the Marrakesh frame only in black and not the really nice blue on the brooks version.
The disc trucker is now a flat mount if that matters to anyone.

nm fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 16, 2020

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I mean if you're going to be doing touring when it is raining, it's worth it.
Metal fenders, once adjusted, are a bit less of a pain in the rear end about getting. out of alignment than plastic fenders.

I'd only not do it if you're only fair weather touring or if you're doing a lot of non-paved roads as fenders can gum up the works there.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The only time I really regret having fenders, other than mud, is when I travel. loving putting those fuckers on because I had to take them off for the bike box.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CopperHound posted:

While we are on the topic of dynamo wiring: you can get a telephone handset type coil in your wire by wrapping it around a pencil then hitting it with a heat gun. I do this, so I can have a little slack around the headset.

This is a good pro-tip.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Trek put out a 520 variant, the Grando:
https://bikepacking.com/news/trek-520-grando/
I've ridden with 2 low rider panniers, frame bag, and saddle bag. It was totally fine. Weight distribution isn't all that different from 4 panniers.

I'd be curious what the tire clearance is on that as they only put 40s on it?
The Salsa Marrakesh comes with 42s and the LHT has 41s. Neither of them claim any off-road chops (though are better than some people might expect).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Sigmund Fraud posted:

I've been bike touring a few years but still consider myself very much a novice so I'm looking for advice!

It's a White Bikes SC Comp. Apologies for the terrible picture!
I go on weeklong bike trips and camp mostly with friends. I can normally fit everything in the panniers and the tent strapped between them. It works out okay but there are some negatives.
* The tent gets wet when it rains. I'm considering either getting a rain proof stuff sack, some cover to keep the rain off or perhaps stuffing the tent inside one of the panniers - the tent poles would then have to be strapped outside.
* All the weight is on the rear wheel. Is there a reason for shifting some of the weight forward? Would it ride better? How heavy do you think I can safely load the bike? I weigh 70 kgs and sometimes I bring climbing gear on the bike in addition to camping gear.
* It's a hassle to get into my panniers for frequently used items such as my wallet or snacks. I'm considering a small front bag. What are good mounting locations? Brands?

Some additional questions.
* I need a better bike lock. A combination lock that can reach from the frame to a low bike rack. Is there any safe-ish option that doesn't involve hauling a kilo worth of chain?
* The front bike light is dead. Looking for a cheap low profile USB charging light.
* I'd like a third water bottle on the frame. But where would it fit?
* Are there any extra large water bottles that can fit inside the water bottle holders? Mine are 650 and 700ml big but I feel I could probably fit bigger ones.
* What kind of bike lubing/cleaning kit should I bring on weeklong trips?

If there are decent enough stuff avaliable on Wish.com or Aliexpress or do I need to spend actual money?

Second the waterproof dry bag. I have an ortlieb trunk bag that works well for this. It also fits my sleeping bag and mattress. Since I've started packing lighter, I can fit much of this in a 4 bag setup though. Cheap was is to line everything in garbage bags. This works okish, but you need to check for holes.
I also recommend 4 bags. Lowrider rack unless really off road.
A small bar bag that mounts on the bars, not on a rack. Ortlieb makes nice ones.

I use a krypto mini-6 and a 7' krypto cable lock. The clock is reasonably strong and can work for a quick stop in an urban area. The cable is good for rural areas without bike racks. Pretty light combo.
Do you have a 3rd set of mounts under the downtube?
I like boeshield. It is reasonably durable and you can wipe the chain ever day or two and reapply.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I always tie a tent tie off to the bike.
I basically always hotel/airbnb/warmshower in urban areas, so i never park the bike outside for more than 15 minutes in urban areas. I just walk/public transit for sight seeing

nm
Jan 28, 2008

rope kid posted:

I bought a Big Agnes bikepacking-specific tent and it works nicely. It's really just a difference in collapsed pole length and overall packaging. It fits snugly into both of my Carradice-style bags but can also be lashed to molle straps.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Gear/Tents/Bikepacking

That's really cool the poles are shorter. The only think keeping me from eliminating my trunk bag while road touring is the pole length means the tent won't fit in the panniers.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Yeah, the orlieb issues sounds like no shims on a narrow tube rack.
Also, you may need to play with the lower hook a touch.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Coxswain Balls posted:

I was really surprised to be getting Warmshowers requests this year because we started going into lockdown before the touring season started, so these were people deciding to go on a cross-Canada tour in the middle of a pandemic. Not saying you're going to be doing it but those people just seemed irresponsible to me.

Yeah, I'm marked myself as away after I got a message in like may

nm
Jan 28, 2008

i say swears online posted:

i am such a huge fan of front panniers. if you're going fast you get this cool gyroscope effect that keeps things incredibly stable

As long as they're balanced and your fork isn't made out of noodles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

There's honestly no way Trek discontinues the 520, I think. They kept making that poo poo in the 00s when they sold like 12 of time a year. Seriously, they did one production run a year (in wisconsin) so if your order didn't get in, you'd wait a year. Things I learned when I broke a 520 and had to wait almost a whole year for the new frame.