Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Those are great photos and a great dog. Wish I could take my pup bikepacking but his prey drive is too high so he’s always gonna be an on-leash woofer for our adventures. Please go on more adventures with your dog and post more pictures!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

My Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 ripped near, but not on a seam during my first tour with it. I’ve fixed it but it really sucked.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

If you’re riding Cumberland to Pittsburgh, you’re going to be on the GAP, whose trail quality is uniformly awesome. You also probably won’t need front panniers unless you prefer to ride minimally loaded front and back. You’re certainly going to have a good time no matter what you decide to do.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

There’s not really anything that’s exceptionally physically challenging about the C&O. It’s a largely flat path and a 100 mile day is totally doable, especially if you have good weather and daylight on your side and take breaks. I ride the C&O between DC and Horsepen Branch (roughly 30 miles out) fairly frequently and the main challenge is mental- aside from a few set piece vistas by the locks and the spillway that has you riding right next to the river, it’s easy to just get bored and drone out on mile after mile of nearly identical tow path.

There is some bandit singletrack close to DC that’s pretty fun though; just look in the direction of the river when you’re maybe 7-10 miles out of town and you’ll see it.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

i say swears online posted:

if i was on tour camping i'd be much less of a vector risk than at my crappy retail "essential worker" job

EU -> SEA sounds like a shitshow this year though

There are still so many land border closures and mandatory quarantines (often in government facilities and on your own dime) that I would think touring anywhere internationally would be an absolute nightmare.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I have two Surlys (Cross Check and an Ice Cream Truck Ops) and I completely feel like I could ride anywhere on either of them (though I definitely prefer the ICT on singletrack.) Heavy and overbuilt may be a tad harsh but largely accurate, but goddamn do they ever just work as awesome bikes.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

One of the best parts of touring/bikepacking is meeting locals who are absolutely incredulous as to what and how you’re doing or why you’re doing it. That being said I think it’s pretty irresponsible to depend on the kindness of strangers as a viable strategy- I think it’s naive at best and stupid, entitled and dangerous at worst, especially if the local who has to bail your rear end out is stressed for resources as well. Personally I’d never skimp on being self sufficient on water or shelter especially.

When my girlfriend and I were doing a tour around Lake Ponchartrain a number of years ago, we were on Old US 51 in between towns when a dude in a beat to poo poo old pickup starts honking and flashing his brights at us, then swerves to the side of the road and parks a few hundred yards ahead of us. I had no idea what was going on so I had enough time to palm a knife in case this was some guy who was pissed about BICYCLISTS?! ON MY ROADS?!, so when we got up close, there’s this old dude standing outside of the truck with a huge poo poo-eating grin. He immediately reveals he’s shitfaced at like 10 am when he slurs “You two look like you’re having such fun riding your bicycles! I love to ride my bicycle too.” And with that, he reached into a cooler in the bed of his truck, gave us two ice-cold 1L bottled waters, jumped back in his truck and swerved off. It was such a weird and surreal experience to go from “oh poo poo” to “oh nice” in the course of seconds.

That poo poo was cool; less so was some dude telling me unsolicited about how he wanted to hire a couple of Puerto Ricans to kill his ex-wife and throw her body to the gators when he cornered us in a bar later on the tour.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1413245827586400256

Looks like someone got killed by a grizzly bear on the Tour Divide.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

mCpwnage posted:

I mean, most people aren't camping in grizzly country most of the time, but yeah that seems like a reasonable thing to do if you are.

My favorite backpack got ruined by squirrels looking for a ziplock bag of trail mix in the five minutes it took for me to set up my hammock during a recent bikepacking trip. I’ve always been conscious of food storage, but even more so now.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Bit of a different tour. WWII soldier takes his wife through the sites of his combat experiences a few years after the war.
https://imgur.com/gallery/fR4jdyx

That was really powerful, thanks for sharing.

One of my favorite parts of touring/bikepacking is seeing evidence of an area’s past up close and personal. My last bikepacking trip was in the Canaan Valley of West Virginia, and there’s tons of old rail/mining infrastructure that’s been repurposed into rails to trails paths or has faded into the mountains.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Nyyen posted:

I'm shooting for a 150 mile trip in WV as the leaves change this fall, route below. It would be nice to have some backup. Anyone have some thoughts of how best to wrangle a posse?

https://www.komoot.com/tour/843173076?ref=aso

Ooooh man. I knew that would be a hell of a fun trip when I saw Canaan Valley in there. I mean I’d consider joining you if it coincides with my other bikepacking plans for the fall; I did the Canaan Valley and Forks of Cheat route last year (which at first glance shares some terrain with this one) and had a blast.

I really should post some photos from that trip but sometimes the Awful app makes big photo posts a real bear to handle.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Nyyen posted:

Question for the thread. I was looking at getting a computer since I don't trust myself to take the right turn and am always stopping to check my phone. That said, the Garmin eTrex is well regarded and as a general use GPS device is a lot better, but doesn't have turn-by-turn, but also doesn't have any of the performance tracking features which I don't care about and much longer battery life. Is turn-by-turn worth the extra cost and lower battery in anyone's opinion? I run a dyno so I could charge it if I get an additional charge unit, and I normally carry a battery bank on trips longer than two days.

I *love* my eTrex 20x. Long-rear end battery life (especially with lithium batteries), good controls with the thumbstick and customizable with OpenStreetMaps with a little fiddling. I've never used turn-by-turn so it's not a feature that I miss, I just tend to watch my track as I'm riding. I have Gaia GPS on my iPhone with my route and maps saved for backup, offline navigation purposes, but I like to keep my communication and navigation devices separate for the sake of redundancy.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

amenenema posted:

Question regarding bikepacking bag sizing:

Going for a full Apidura Expedition set and not sure on the saddlebag and bar bag sizes. Saddlebag available in 9, 14, and 17L, and bar bag in 9 and 14L. I'll have a 1L top tube bag and the 5.3L frame bag too.

Looking to do trips from overnight to possibly a full week. Wouldn't be in the middle of nowhere so would have access to resupply/etc. Probably would use hammock gear for shelter vs tent. I'm definitely planning to get all my gear out and shove into known size stuff sacks, but curious if anyone has general opinion on sizing and/or this specific range of bags.

Thanks!

I use the 14L Revelate Terrapin seat bag and I'm almost exclusively a hammock camper. My general circumstances are relatively the same as yours (most rides I'd be interested in doing would have at least one resupply option per day) and I generally use my seat bag for lighter, more packable items such as my hammock's underquilt/top quilt, etc. It's best to pack heavier items closer to your seatpost to minimize sag and sway so keep that in mind too. On my handlebars I run the Revelate Harness with a Saltyroll (15L capacity) which has been fine for my clothes, hammock topquilt, etc. My frame bag is a custom one from Rogue Panda so I'm not sure what the exact capacity in liters is, but it's enough to accomodate a 3L hydration bladder in one pocket, pump/tube/tools in the other, and my cook kit (stove, fuel, mug, cutting board and knife) ride below.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

SplitDestiny posted:

I did a thing.

Completed all 2700 miles of the Tour Divide in ~22 days through some pretty gnarly peanut butter mud, head winds, heat, and storms. Proud to have completed on my first attempt!

Congratulations on your achievement, that’s quite the accomplishment! I’d love to do that someday.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

This is a fun one

https://bikepacking.com/routes/canaan-valley-forks-of-cheat/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

That’s a super fun route but I don’t know if I’d recommend it for kids. Lots of climbing and there are several points where you’ll be on some highly trafficked roads, but the majority is spent on quiet farm roads and rails to trails/jeep roads (especially in Blackwater Falls SP.)