Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Depends on the type of freeway.

70mph but low traffic I'll stay on the shoulder and cut across when clear. Try to avoid actually stopping, but sometimes ya gotta.

45mph and high traffic I'll merge into the lane to get across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Holy poo poo. What an amazing dog / post.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Vagina Jones posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for some clip on aero bars that also have spacers/risers that don't break the bank?

Obviously there are all the options from places like Vision or Profile Design, but they tend to be a couple of hundred dollars + buying spacers separately.

Not looking for anything flash, have a TT bike if I want to get lowand fast, just looking for something to change up positions when touring...

I have a pair of Deda's that included the riser kit. Not sure it was this exact model, but if not something similar https://www.bike24.com/p2248288.htm...oken=anonymized

In my experience, though, it's very rare to need risers for clip-ons on a road bike. The pads already add stack over your handlebar tops. I'm struggling to see a situation where you'd have the drops at a reasonable depth, and then also want risers up above the height they would naturally be at. I guess if you're trying to get a super-relaxed touring position on a slammed stem?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Agreed.
Even then, it's better to charge your power bank from the dynamo and then charge the device from the bank - the dynamo is just weak enough that it can't quite keep up.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Coxswain Balls posted:

How are HY/RD brakes for touring? Is it less work than regular hydro brakes to service them in the field? I'm guessing you want to be careful with not getting mineral oil/brake fluid on the rotors and pads, so you need to have a somewhat clean and organized workspace if you end up having to do a bleed. I know lots of people recommend mechanical over hydraulic on unsupported tours, but I've never actually serviced hydraulic brakes before so I don't know how overblown the risk is.

It's about the same amount of work to service them, which is to say, not much.

I wouldn't have any concern about touring with hydraulic brakes, HY/RDs included, unless I were going somewhere truly remote (no bike shops anywhere at all), month+ stuff in Africa or the outback.
If that's on the docket, I'd be inclined to prefer a mechanical because it's easier to carry everything you need to field service. Anything else, hydraulic brakes own.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

kimbo305 posted:

What is a bleed for a self contained unit like the Hyrd?

I’ve run them on tour for 2k miles and have only replaced pads. I even do the irresponsible thing of running the arm a little choked up on the cable. I’m not sure there’s a need to service if they’re not leaking and operating fine. I guess there’s some rubber that could dry and crack at some point?

I carried a bb7 as a spare on tour.

Bleed process is very similar to a normal hydraulic brake.

https://www.trpbrakes.com/userfiles/HYRD_Final_053113.pdf

Personally I've never needed to bleed mine, even with numerous airline flights where you'd think pressure or whatever could muck it up.
But if you did need to - it uses TRP mineral oil not shimano mineral oil and its not clear whether they are interchangeable because mineral oil isn't standardized like DOT.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Mr Newsman posted:

Bar ends is like 70% aesthetics, 20% because I want some spice in my life, and 10% because I liked using them the few times I've ridden bikes with em.

Bombtrack is 2500 - largely due to the dynamo setup over the REI bike. It is about 500 bucks more than the comparable Surly / Salsa / Kona offerings. +/-

Appreciate the insight. I'm really just deciding if a dynamo setup would be something I'm interested in I guess.

A dynamo light is the single best thing I've ever bought for my commuter. Removing the stress of "oh dang it did I remember to charge my light last night poo poo poo poo" is just so so nice. I didn't realize the stress was there until it was gone.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I would definitely go with a Kona over a Surly at equal pricepoint. Surly's tend to carry a price premium for reasons I don't understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Hey thread. I'm in a curious position; I built up a surly cross check with the intention of touring. I then started training for gravel races, got a bike fit, and it confirmed that I am not built for a surly. Long top tube, short head tube, so in the end this wasn't the frame for me.

So, now I have a frame that I am not comfortable on, set up with a dynamo hub, a nice wired light, and a rim brake/direct mount custom wheelset.

What are some thread favorites for touring bikes? I want something less cyclocross and more comfortable on distance. I should have known better :( luckily I had the foresight to build a pretty flexible wheelset.

Ribble CGR Al