Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
I spent most of January riding 1800 km from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City with my 75 year old father. It was hotel/credit card touring with minimal packs. We bought a couple of city bikes in Hanoi and sold them in Ho Chi Minh City. Old man did great.

I'm trash garbage that can't proper photography but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

rngd in the womb posted:

What are you talking about? These pics are great. Looks like an awesome tour.

It was. We did spend a lot of time on the main roads to cover more distance which isn't that interesting especially given Vietnamese culture of constantly honking at anything on the road. If I had to do it again I would do the whole thing on the smaller country roads which are amazing.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

hemale in pain posted:

Looks great. Did you guys know the language or just got through with a couple of phrases?

No. We got by with miming techniques and occasionally translate apps. Outside the tourist areas in the largest cities practically no one speaks English but are generally excited to talk and help and with that most things are doable.

One amusing thing was this guy we met going through some rural hills

Very excited and impossible to communicate with but insisted we have a drink. We thought it was tea but it turned out to be some kind of whiskey - possibly brewed in a bathtub somewhere.

A few days later it had been raining all day and we were caked in mud so we stopped at a mechanics shop and mimed permissions to use a hose to clean up a bit before we got to the hotel. Very excited lady started calling around and the whole community converged on us. Someone brought a gallon jug of... something. Then someone pulled out a makeshift bong and we politely departed.

We couldn't talk with any of them but when people are that enthusiastic you can make it work.