Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Nyyen posted:

Question for the thread. I was looking at getting a computer since I don't trust myself to take the right turn and am always stopping to check my phone. That said, the Garmin eTrex is well regarded and as a general use GPS device is a lot better, but doesn't have turn-by-turn, but also doesn't have any of the performance tracking features which I don't care about and much longer battery life. Is turn-by-turn worth the extra cost and lower battery in anyone's opinion? I run a dyno so I could charge it if I get an additional charge unit, and I normally carry a battery bank on trips longer than two days.

The eTrex looks a lot like the Garmin Edge 130; No map, just a crumb trail with some nodes. Creating the track on the Edge 130 was a dog poo poo experience even if it purported to do turn by turn if you sync'd a course to the unit, which I cannot recommend to anyone.

I stepped up to a Garmin Edge 830 and it is pretty loving sweet to go into RWGPS on your phone, select "Pin Route" and then you sync your Edge cycling computer and have the course pop up with their built in cues. The drat thing also has built in turn by turn so if you wanted to drop a pin somewhere it would figure out how to get you there.

I think turn by turn is worth it because at bike speeds you will loving blow turns. I also love that the Edge computers will tell you what street is up ahead even if you are not cruising with a loaded track/course which voids the uncertainty of missing/unclear road signage. My 830 will run close to 20-something hours, and has the option of some bolt on battery for the mount if you want to go hog wild with battery life along with the dynamo.

I personally want to upgrade to the Edge 1040 Solar for a bigger screen (I have bad vision) and because of the beefy battery life, but unless someone is interested in grabbing my 6 month old Edge 830 then I may just hang tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
You can often find a Garmin Edge 1030 used for about 200 bucks if a large screen is really important.