Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
This weekend, I did my first overnight tour, riding on the CnO canal towpath from Cumberland to Brunswick, MD. It was cold overnight, and since I don't have camping gear and didn't want to stay outside in the mid 30s, I elected to stay overnight in a hotel halfway in Hancock. I've been wanting to do this for a while. Here's what it looked like when I left Cumberland in the morning.

\

My setup. It's a Soma Wolverine that is used primarily as a commuter bike, hence the basket. The rear bindle rack is supposed to be used for a bag (which I did here, obviously), but it usually just has a Dill Pickle U-lock sleeve on it. The basket was really convenient to just have a stuff sack handy, as most of what I had in the two bags were layers

Pumpkin Ice Cream in Hancock:

It was cold in the mornin'

Typical scene:

Trail was full of nice folks touring the towpath:

Including a Belgian Malinois puppy out for a cruise:

Maryland is expensive, but it's fantastic for an outdoorsperson, so I get out there and make the best of it. I'll be back to smallmouth fish this section:

Right when I ended my ride, I ran into some folks with Somas, so that was cool:

Wife planned filet mignon for me at home, and I cracked a good bottle of cab from the basement to go along with it.

I was really happy with my training and electrolyte plan, and didn't cramp up, which has been an issue with me in the past mainly due to going out too hard or not training enough ahead of time. What do people here do about minimizing cramping risk while remote? Ride a lot, don't pedal too hard while on tour and take a ton of electolytes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I would ride the FX.

I did an overnight on the towpath a few months ago but stayed overnight in a hotel. I'm glad I had 40s. This also allowed me to pack light.

V brakes are fine as you're not braking that much anyway.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
If you'd like any advice or opinion from me about riding the towpath, let me know, I live 20 minutes from it around mile 50. Which way are you going?

There are plenty of web resources for you, but there are a few things I'd do different next time. Considering the water pumps will be off for a while, definitely plan ahead for that. Most everything was open when I went in Oct, so I imagine that'll be the case when you go, although you might be waiting a while for the virus to 'clear up'. Every place I stayed or stopped at was good with distancing, masking and accommodating tourists.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Dren posted:

I ordered the guide book (hasn’t arrived yet) and have read a few of the websites. I was thinking of going DC to Cumberland and stopping at breweries along the route then taking the train back to DC. As far as waiting for the virus to clear up goes, as soon as I get vaccinated I’d consider a trip. How long do you think I should allow for it, minimum? I feel like fitting it into a weekend w/ two nights is tough since the train from cumberland leaves early so you pretty much have to be at cumberland on night two. I guess it will depend on the train schedule and how far I think my friends and I can ride in a day. That’s a full day of riding each day though.

I did the whole towpath in parts this year, with an overnight from Cumberland to Brunswick. Post is here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933885&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post509086515

You should allow a minimum of 3 days. This is roughly 60 days of riding each day which was plenty. With a few stops to take pictures, historical interest and breaks, 60 miles for me translated into roughly 8 hours. From DC, your route is roughly to go to Brunswick first day, Hancock the second, and Cumberland the third. There is Smoketown Brewery in Brunswick, and one in Cumberland right by the Mariott which is right off the towpath. I dont know of any breweries in Hancock or Williamsport. Apparently there is one near Little Orleans, but you can always just stop in at Bills Place. Two days to do 185 miles of riding on gravel with other folks that may not be used to two consecutive near 100 mile days is pushing it. You can do it in 3.

- From DC to about Edwards Ferry can be rough and have puddles. The towpath has been redone from about Edwards Ferry up to Shepherdstown. It is pretty remote once you get outside of DC up to Brunswick, and from Brunswick again to Williamsport.

- Take snacks and electrolytes, but you know this. I hit a wall a few times and was really happy I overpacked on the emergency rations.

- Check the train schedules and bike accommodations. I was going to take the train from Harpers Ferry to Cumberland, but they changed the bike rules and when the trains ran, so plan well in advance. I ended up renting a car one way.

- Take a light for the Paw Paw tunnel (I took a blinky light that I used on solid) and ensure you have a bell. The towpath has a fair amount of traffic, especially during COVID and people really appreciate the notice, and will generally scoot over for you allowing you to pass quickly without having to shout or clack your brake levers or whatever

iospace posted:

I hope to turn this book into a bucket list some day.

Nice

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Dren posted:

Thanks for the info. Three days would be great I just don’t know if we’ll all be able to swing the time away from our families for three full days and returning on the fourth. We could potentially do the 60 a day pace if we have a way to get back from Cumberland to DC later in the day on the final day.

If you don't have three full days, you can just ride out of DC, stay overnight and ride back.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I'd be interested to know what you find out, as I'd like to do the GAP one of these days.

I had a bindle rack with a stuff sack on my Wolverine, but it's not a proper rack that's connected via braze ons. I put all my soft stuff in there when I did a lightweight Cumberland-to-Brunswick tour on the towpath. Everything else went in my small front basket.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

hemale in pain posted:

i did some bike touring last week in the lake district. i packed too heavy and there was loads of hike-a-bikes but it was an experience.

i also saw this cat

Looks fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Snagged one thanks!