Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Friend invited me to do C&O trail from Cumberland, MD to Pittsburgh in the Spring so I'm getting ready. Front panniers haven't arrived yet, but here's a preview.

The front rack just barely fit around the disc brakes, which is why it's nowhere close to being level.

In the meantime though, I'm loving set up for getting groceries!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Yeah! I saw someone else posted pics of part of the trip. I was looking online and saw the initial elevation as you're getting farther into the Appalachians, but what's the path like? From what I could find it's some mix of paved or flat dirt.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Great, so I can keep the 38mm slicks on there?

This'll be my first bikepacking trip, so I'm sure I'll bring more than I need. I'll also be carrying the majority of my wife's stuff to keep the weight off her since she's less of a bike person.

Edit:

pantslesswithwolves posted:

If you’re riding Cumberland to Pittsburgh, you’re going to be on the GAP, whose trail quality is uniformly awesome. You also probably won’t need front panniers unless you prefer to ride minimally loaded front and back. You’re certainly going to have a good time no matter what you decide to do.

Ah poo poo, now that you say GAP, I realize I've actually done a bit of it already years ago!

Mauser fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 2, 2020

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Anybody got experience with the trans-virginia trail? Might do part of that sooner than later and looking for recommendations for a one night trip

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

spf3million posted:

Color coordination on point! Lol at that front rack alignment

Yeah, I dunno if I should return it and try to find something that'll fit around the brakes or just ride it out until I replace the brakes with hydraulics ~*=one day=*~

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Reposting this in the correct thread:

Has anyone done the trans-Virginia trail DC to Harrisonburg route? I'm trying to gauge how many days we'd need for that with one friend aiming to do it in three days, but I don't think the rest of us would be able to cover that much distance with packs in that time.

The other question a friend had was how clearly labeled is the route? My guess is that it would be hard to get lost on it, but he wasn't so sure.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Anyone have some Mid-Atlantic recommendations for a multi day trip not too many hours from Washington DC?

I've done the W&OD, C&O canal, a bit of riding around the eastern shore of Maryland, GAP trail, and a bit of northern Virginia's gravel roads out to Sky Meadows and was wondering if there's anything else interesting out here maybe on the PA side

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Oh nice. I sent it to my group and a two-day thing is probably best for friends with children

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

pantslesswithwolves posted:

That’s a super fun route but I don’t know if I’d recommend it for kids. Lots of climbing and there are several points where you’ll be on some highly trafficked roads, but the majority is spent on quiet farm roads and rails to trails/jeep roads (especially in Blackwater Falls SP.)

No, sorry, I meant that they need to get back to the spouse and kids, not that the kids would come