Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

i say swears online posted:

what's everyone's freeway protocol for exits, do you accelerate and time it while skipping across the lane or do you stop at the exit and look behind you like a child

I just take the lane so I don’t have to worry about crossing exits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sigmund Fraud posted:

I've been bike touring a few years but still consider myself very much a novice so I'm looking for advice!

It's a White Bikes SC Comp. Apologies for the terrible picture!
I go on weeklong bike trips and camp mostly with friends. I can normally fit everything in the panniers and the tent strapped between them. It works out okay but there are some negatives.
* The tent gets wet when it rains. I'm considering either getting a rain proof stuff sack, some cover to keep the rain off or perhaps stuffing the tent inside one of the panniers - the tent poles would then have to be strapped outside.
* All the weight is on the rear wheel. Is there a reason for shifting some of the weight forward? Would it ride better? How heavy do you think I can safely load the bike? I weigh 70 kgs and sometimes I bring climbing gear on the bike in addition to camping gear.
* It's a hassle to get into my panniers for frequently used items such as my wallet or snacks. I'm considering a small front bag. What are good mounting locations? Brands?

Some additional questions.
* I need a better bike lock. A combination lock that can reach from the frame to a low bike rack. Is there any safe-ish option that doesn't involve hauling a kilo worth of chain?
* The front bike light is dead. Looking for a cheap low profile USB charging light.
* I'd like a third water bottle on the frame. But where would it fit?
* Are there any extra large water bottles that can fit inside the water bottle holders? Mine are 650 and 700ml big but I feel I could probably fit bigger ones.
* What kind of bike lubing/cleaning kit should I bring on weeklong trips?

If there are decent enough stuff avaliable on Wish.com or Aliexpress or do I need to spend actual money?

Tent: I would get a waterproof drybag. Even better if it has a one way air purge valve so you can easily get a puffy item like a tent to compress down. Some of them also have strapping where you can lash the tent poles to the outside, and to the rack. They also make these in a duffel style that might work better for sitting on the rack top.

Weight: Distribution is a personal thing, some people like it more up front, the classic “bike touring” setup has always been more rear heavy. If it’s not bothering you then there isn’t any pressing need to change it.

Small bag: Are you wanting a top tube bag or a front handlebar bag? For a top tube bag the Revelate Mag Tank is a great choice, the magnetic closure makes it a lot easier to get in and out of one handed. It comes in two sizes. There are also feed bags if you wanted to go that route. Most of these have knockoff/generic versions (Moosetreks, Rockbros, etc) available as well. The feed bag also solves your additional bottle problem, although if you want a third bottle all the time it’s a waste of the bag.

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/Cockpit/Magtank
https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/cockpit/MountainFeedbag

Lights: I like Cygolite, pick whatever one fits your budget.

Locks: For touring I’m usually not by myself (pre-COVID) so I’ve only ever brought a tiny combo lock for the rare instances where nobody is around the bikes. This is definitely territory where you get what you pay for, trading weight for security. If you’re only ever leaving the bike to go buy food at a stop or similar type stops then I either bring my bike inside or lock it up in a high traffic area with a small combo lock. I’m never far away for long, so it’s just to function as a deterrent. I’m guessing if they wanted to cut the lock and haul a heavy rear end bike into the back of a pickup they’d probably be fine with just robbing you when you’re on the bike, and you can’t do much about that.

Bottles: see above re: feed bag. Alternatively, you could strap a bottle cage to the side of your forks. I can’t tell in the photo if there are bosses but if not you can use something like the Topeak Versamount Clamps or King Cage USB to mount a bottle cage. Most standard bike bottles are 21/24oz, but you could mount a cargo cage or giant bottle cage and fit in whatever size bottle you want. You could also do the same approach on the underside of the downtube, if you have clearance. Hard to tell from the pic.
https://bikepacking.com/index/cargo-cages-anything-bags/
https://bikepacking.com/index/oversized-bottle-cages-for-bike-touring/

Lube: bring dry lube if it’s dry, wet lube if it’s wet. Grab some paper towels from a gas station and wipe off the crud first.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Would

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What the gently caress Assos

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Good deal on a Big Agnes tent if someone wants a 1 person bikepacking specific tent.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174498433938

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I have that same Borah bug bivy and it’s real good. Can you post a pic on how you’re using that tarp?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mauser posted:

Friend invited me to do C&O trail from Cumberland, MD to Pittsburgh in the Spring so I'm getting ready. Front panniers haven't arrived yet, but here's a preview.

The front rack just barely fit around the disc brakes, which is why it's nowhere close to being level.

In the meantime though, I'm loving set up for getting groceries!

Hell yeah. I did that after coming down from Cleveland earlier in the year. It’s a great trail. The first 20 miles or so are going to be a real grind coming from Cumberland but then you should have pretty much all downhill.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mauser posted:

Great, so I can keep the 38mm slicks on there?

This'll be my first bikepacking trip, so I'm sure I'll bring more than I need. I'll also be carrying the majority of my wife's stuff to keep the weight off her since she's less of a bike person.

Edit:

Ah poo poo, now that you say GAP, I realize I've actually done a bit of it already years ago!

38s will be fine. Lot of people on road bikes on the trail.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I did 100 mile days on the C&O and GAP. It’s so flat except the climb out of Cumberland, but that’s all GAP so it’s not something you’d need to worry about. Especially if you’re camping, you can just ride until whenever and throw down a tent.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dren posted:

I can probably do 3 days two nights including the return trip. We’ll figure out everyone’s fitness and if we wanna do 100 mile days or not. My one friend is very down for it, he does 50 mile days all the time and would go longer if he could. The train out of cumberland leaves a bit after 9 and supposedly accepts bikes, so we’d have to do the 100 mile pace to get there on time.

The train is scheduled to leave Cumberland at whatever time, but add at least a couple hours on to that. It’s never on time.

Re: bikes on the train, for whatever reason when I did it last, they only allowed 2 bikes total, and there wasn’t the separate bike compartment, they just had us roll the bikes into the cargo car with everyone’s bags and lean them up again the wall. No way to lock them. Very weird experience.

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 29, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cannon_Fodder posted:

yeah, I think it looks like it should punch above its weight class. I'm optimistic.

I've already got my initial loadout plan:

2x Salsa Anything HD + Salsa Anything bag (~4.5L or ~9L together)

Moosetreks Bike Seatpost Bag Large - (8L - 14L)

Some frame bag, need to look at my LBS stock and try some bags out on the bike itself for a proper fit.

Last bit of kit is a 10L hydration backpack I like quite a bit (Osprey)

BIG OL DISCLAIMER I don't know what I'm doing and this is my first foray into the hobby.

I’m assuming your 10L bag is 10L total capacity and not liquid. At any rate, why would you want to use a backpack? Keeping the weight off your shoulders and on the bike is like the best part.

If you do a half frame bag you can use bottles. A full frame bag you can stick in the bladder.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I have the Ortlieb Bikepacker Plus model and they’re good. Big and heavy, but good.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

REI was selling the top load dry bag for $40 but actually sent you the entire kit - bag, cradle, accessory pouch and straps.

I know 4 people personally who bought this and got the whole thing. They still have the side load bag for $40. I believe someone mentioned they got the whole kit there as well.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Some people obviously found this out because there’s a number on eBay recently

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I think more because it’s a race and you have superhuman insane people riding for 24hr+ hours at a time and you’re trying to compete.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Vagina Jones posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for some clip on aero bars that also have spacers/risers that don't break the bank?

Obviously there are all the options from places like Vision or Profile Design, but they tend to be a couple of hundred dollars + buying spacers separately.

Not looking for anything flash, have a TT bike if I want to get lowand fast, just looking for something to change up positions when touring...

There’s always a ton of used aero bars on eBay/FB/CL. I like the Airstrykes with a 50mm riser which is super comfy but not particularly aero.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

SimonSays posted:

I feel like Sturmey Archer may have had one in the 50s.

Honestly, a dynamo doesn't have the watts to charge a modern smartphone, but leaving a battery plugged in all day and charging your phone from that when stopped can get you really far.

I bought a USB voltage meter to check this. My Luxos IQ2 light’s USB output does 5v, 500ma steady as long as you’re doing more than like 10mph. I’m pretty sure my dynamo is a 6v/3w affair but I’ve never seen any actual data on the output.

It doesn’t seem to dip the USB output even with the light on, but I’ve never checked it at low speeds for an extended period of time; the cache battery might be smoothing it over.

It’ll definitely keep a phone or Garmin topped up throughout the day, unless you’re really pushing it with GPS navigation, poor cell reception, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CopperHound posted:

That light has a small battery inside.

I actually have a spreadsheet of dynamo output from a son hub at various speed and load from a project I was working on. Basically Coxswain Balls was pretty much right about power topping out at at 5 watts, but it does take some fancy electronics to get the most usable power at a wide range of speeds.

Yeah it does, but it’s tiny. I rode it for way longer than that battery would support and it’s constant 5v 500ma.