Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my people

if i had gotten furloughed in march like i wanted, i'd be a hobo right now

i rode from austin to san salvador in 2013-4 and it was very fun and cool and i almost died about four times, more if you count dengue, surgery, and cartels

my route, roughly:

1983 trek 520, no drop bars, road gearing. i walked my bike up about 100 miles of hills lol

posting for leftist rep, i lived on a commune for a week and it was great

i stayed with a baker in matehuala. we traded recipes; he taught me tres leches and here he is showing off his very first apple pie

in clonclusion: go be a bike hobo you're probably not gonna regret it unless you die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

well this demands a story time

goddamn

pick a spot on my map and i'll tell you something weird

coolest spots were the mountains in the chihuahua desert, matehuala, the huasteca, i had surgery in veracruz, working as a conman at a mezcal distillery in oaxaca, staying with a missionary/landlord in guatemala city, and living on a dairy farm in quetzaltquetepe el salvador for a month

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 3, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i've never been on a bike road and they always make me jealous. i'd love to do the eurovelo stuff someday

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.twitch.tv/hitch

my dude trevor is a hitchhiker who livestreams catching rides all around the world. covid destroyed both his livelihood and his ability to pursue his passion and instead he's headed across canada on bike. I use my free amazon prime sub on him and you should too, he's a good guy. he's live pretty much all north american daylight hours at the moment

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my frame is almost 40 years old and rusty so i'm saving for a new one. i have good wheels and some other components. is there a reason not to look for a long haul trucker frame? my main purpose is touring but most of my time on the bike is neighborhood rides and i need at least a little agility. is the crosscheck the surly frame most comparable to a trek 520? is there another brand i should consider? $525 for a new frame seems reasonable for the LHT since i'll likely keep it for twenty years

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

thank you for that, it's informative! i didn't realize how big the 520 was; when i bought it, i thought it was a 720 which i guess is even bigger?? if a LHT handles like a 520 (assuming they haven't changed the geometry since '83) i'm good to go there; i feel pretty agile unloaded and it's very stable with four panniers

looks like some dork kept a u-lock strapped there for awhile. you said you got a strip and coat for $200? i thought it'd be closer to $400 and that changes things. the problem is that the rust seems like it's in a sensitive area of the frame. it has not progressed in the seven years i've owned it, i just want to be sure of myself if i go be a hobo again

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Yeah maybe I'm asking too much out of a frame. I really am happy with my current bike, I just wish it wasn't damaged

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if i get my old frame powder coated, do they blast off the old paint and rust or do i do that first? i don't care about the decals (or if so i'd order a new set) but i'd keep the headplate

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Trek still makes a 520 model and a 520 disc now. Framesets and complete

weird, the framesets come with an aluminum fork. iunno how to feel about that or whether it matters all that much

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The eurovelo system is so cool and I'm very jealous the US doesn't have anything close

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Fart Car '97 posted:

It's called the interstate, quit being a sissy

what's everyone's freeway protocol for exits, do you accelerate and time it while skipping across the lane or do you stop at the exit and look behind you like a child

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ugh this is so cool

iospace posted:

Today I saw a guy who was definitely touring. He was going from Seattle to Boston.

i should have done this earlier in the thread but i follow Hitch on twitch:

https://twitch.tv/hitch

he usually hitchhikes but covid pooped on his livelihood so he set out from vancouver island in june and just reached quebec

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

getting mud in between the fender and the tire is awful. i'll take the poop stripe any day (and even then like said, the back rack does a good enough job)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i've never seen a generator hub in person. is it something you totally build the wheel around?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that looks cool as heck

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

bike touring: I shouldn't need any direct interactions with people

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what if mini-tarp for the bike and a real tent for yourself? i carried a kelty two-person long-term and it owned

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

heck yeah that's great

all the times you realize you could die alone are the best parts of touring

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I always always always recommend front panniers unless you're traveling light or going over extremely rough terrain. Front bags make things so stable, it's the only way I'm comfortable going faster than 35mph downhill. They make a cool gyroscope effect across an axis

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that double waterfall pic is so cool

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccgkxP-4tVE

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh god

i won $3000 on the election and i wanna quit the world again

let's say i wanna do more off-road this time. better option than the long haul trucker?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i use axiom panniers and i like the bungee system. i got a pair of ortliebs a couple months ago and haven't used them yet because they don't clamp down very securely to my rack at all compared to the axioms. i'm really disappointed; i have a weird curvy rack but confirmed that ortliebs fit on it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh a second hook is a good idea. yeah it's just loose, not a tight fit at all, and the bottom hook goes in at a weird angle. ideally they'd be removeable but i'm totally fine looping more zip ties just like everything else on my bike is

my rack is so pretty and i don't wanna change it but i do get that the swooping tubing is weird

https://ridepdw.com/collections/cargo-bags-kickstands/products/payload-rack?variant=24749204929

edit lol jesus

quote:

Verified purchase
11/21/2016
I spoke with Chris smitherman before buying one and it turned out great. I put this rack on my 2015 specialized 650b 27.5 tire hard tail with disc brakes. I did have to use a 1/4 inch spacer on the disc brake side. That's it. Looks bad @$$. I use this bike hunting and usually tie a full deer or half elk on the bike and push it out on ol logging roads that are gated. Time will tell if it can stand up to the stress. I'd definitely recommend this product. Thanks again Chris

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 18, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if i was on tour camping i'd be much less of a vector risk than at my crappy retail "essential worker" job

EU -> SEA sounds like a shitshow this year though

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Real Amethyst posted:

Ireland, and drat I forgot that pandemic is causing supply problems for practically every outdoors thing.

even worse, brexit borders are blowing up more complicated orders that have multiple parts from mainland Europe

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol that happened to me in the chihuahua desert

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i am such a huge fan of front panniers. if you're going fast you get this cool gyroscope effect that keeps things incredibly stable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this is a great article but super depressing

https://bill-watts.blogspot.com/2023/07/warm-showers-is-not-what-it-seems.html