Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Nyyen posted:

Question for the thread. I was looking at getting a computer since I don't trust myself to take the right turn and am always stopping to check my phone. That said, the Garmin eTrex is well regarded and as a general use GPS device is a lot better, but doesn't have turn-by-turn, but also doesn't have any of the performance tracking features which I don't care about and much longer battery life. Is turn-by-turn worth the extra cost and lower battery in anyone's opinion? I run a dyno so I could charge it if I get an additional charge unit, and I normally carry a battery bank on trips longer than two days.

Just get a bike computer, not worth then hassle to use anything else. 100% of enthusiast to pro level cyclists are not wrong.

But for now get a phone mount and use your dynamo to charge it - it’s really only battery life and fear of damage / redundancy / aero that makes a phone bad vs a bike computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Mr Newsman posted:

The Sutra was a contender but it looks like the latest model went back to brifters / front rack only.

It’s like 10 minutes to install a rear rack though…?

You really want bar end shifters over brifters? Why?

Coxswain Balls posted:

How are HY/RD brakes for touring? Is it less work than regular hydro brakes to service them in the field?

Remove the wheels and pads before doing anything bleeding wise, 100% safe.

Unless your tour lasts more than a year in areas without bike servicing places you most likely won’t need to touch anything other than replacing pads and cleaning rotors occasionally.

Knowing the basics like removing bubbles by holding the bike so the hoses run vertically to the levers and tapping them while pumping the brakes gets you a long way in cases of spongeyness.

I just saw a small portable bleed funnel / fluid bottle for on the road use the other day.

That’d be fine https://www.neutroncomponents.com/emergency-bleed-kit for a basic top up/ bleed.

Depends how remote the place you are touring in and how gnarly the terrain is (ripping off a hose or something), you can carry a lot of brake cables far more easily.

Re the bombtrack; not sure how much that is but the REI bike has a far better spec. Shimano Deore everything drivetrain wise is reassuring.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Mr Newsman posted:

Bar ends is like 70% aesthetics, 20% because I want some spice in my life, and 10% because I liked using them the few times I've ridden bikes with em.

Bombtrack is 2500 - largely due to the dynamo setup over the REI bike. It is about 500 bucks more than the comparable Surly / Salsa / Kona offerings. +/-

Appreciate the insight. I'm really just deciding if a dynamo setup would be something I'm interested in I guess.

A dynamo wheel is like £300 where I am, you can add one to any reasonable bike and have your pick of dynamo lights. Otherwise that bike is basic steel and the drivetrain seems really cheap, they might be taking the piss with that price.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Shadowhand00 posted:

Must be nice to be so young and do things without training. I’ve been thinking about doing this ride next time I go to Taiwan. Weather in December would be perfect.

Have to strongly doubt the claim of ‘never ridden longer than 30 minutes before’.

He’s in for some pain with a big backpack for that long, and without having spent some time finding clothes (weather, Gooch) and a bike position that works.

In for the puncture fix video if he’s as newbie as claimed.

I envy having that much free time.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Put the route of this race in your tour if you fancy a challenge. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan_KOM_Challenge