Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I’ve put my Brompton into the overheads on British Air. It has the telescoping seat post (I’m tall) so by removing the seat (easy to do) and putting into the nylon bag they sell, I get away with that. Rode the bike in London, Brussels, and Amsterdam. The “T-Bag” is big enough for limited tours.

I’m ok with up to 40 miles on it. Prefer the recumbent for longer rides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

e.pilot posted:

Bike Friday :hmmyes:

Faster than the Brommie, but not as fast folding (Tikit comes close). And the airline trick? Naw.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

PosSibley posted:

Cross posting from the megathread, but I'm looking at biking from Orange County, CA to San Diego. I hear Torrey Pines is the killer part, and that Pendleton is mixed business?

The trains have been weird recently. Anyone have good advice or insight?

Yeah.

1. You need a pass to bike thru Camp Pendleton and they aren't issuing passes because the visitor's center just north of Oceanside is closed.

2. So you'll be on I5 from the Las Pulgas exit to the first exit in Oceanside.

3. From Dana Point to Las Pulgas the marked bike route is pretty excellent. Paths and residential roads.

4. Torrey Pines isn't a difficult climb, I actually prefer the steeper one in the park itself. I'm old and 100 kilos and I'm on a recumbent, so you should be ok.

5. Laguna is a difficult bike ride. No bike lane and impatient drivers. Control the lane and use your mirror.

6. After you climb Torrey head to the Rose Canyon bike path. It's nice.

7. There's no train from San Clemente to Oceanside because the Ocean messed up the tracks. It's an Amtrak bus from Irvine to Oceanside. I did this last weekend with my Brompton because I was judging games at WonderCom.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Mr Newsman posted:

Bar ends is like 70% aesthetics, 20% because I want some spice in my life, and 10% because I liked using them the few times I've ridden bikes with em.

Bombtrack is 2500 - largely due to the dynamo setup over the REI bike. It is about 500 bucks more than the comparable Surly / Salsa / Kona offerings. +/-

Appreciate the insight. I'm really just deciding if a dynamo setup would be something I'm interested in I guess.

I ran Bar Ends on my road bikes starting in the 1970's:

Then on recumbents with "under seat" steering in the 1990's and 2000's:

And on trikes:

But in the new CF 'bent. a single microshifter, bar ends would hit my legs when steering:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

bicievino posted:

A dynamo light is the single best thing I've ever bought for my commuter. Removing the stress of "oh dang it did I remember to charge my light last night poo poo poo poo" is just so so nice. I didn't realize the stress was there until it was gone.

I regret (greatly) not ordering my Brompton with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

CopperHound posted:

A dynamo light set up is my favorite quality of life improvement for a bike. Great for commuting, but in practice I never ride at night on tour. I want to have my sleeping place sorted before the sun goes down.

Tunnels are a thing though, so my lights still get use on tour.

When I had one, I used it to keep my phone charged up (which I was using on brevets), as well as powering the lights.