Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
I'm shooting for a 150 mile trip in WV as the leaves change this fall, route below. It would be nice to have some backup. Anyone have some thoughts of how best to wrangle a posse?

https://www.komoot.com/tour/843173076?ref=aso

Nyyen fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Ooooh man. I knew that would be a hell of a fun trip when I saw Canaan Valley in there. I mean I’d consider joining you if it coincides with my other bikepacking plans for the fall; I did the Canaan Valley and Forks of Cheat route last year (which at first glance shares some terrain with this one) and had a blast.

I really should post some photos from that trip but sometimes the Awful app makes big photo posts a real bear to handle.

I actually stitched the two overnighters off bikepackers to make that one, and it includes the Forks of Cheat as day 2 and 3. I'd love if you could throw them into an imgur album or similar. I have done the valley and Dolly Sods backpacking but never on bike.

I'm hoping to have a custom frame delivered in October but I might have to do it on my Wolverine if it gets held up. Either way, hitting the road when the temps drop but before the snow.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
If you have a community bike shop in your area a 90's mtb with rack mounts can be a bombproof tourer. There are a lot of the on the used market as well so with a bit of research you can find something that will work well for $500 or so.

As CopperHound said though, a bit more background would help. If you aren't deadset on bike touring I would try before you buy so to speak. Long days in the saddle aren't for everyone so better to get something cheap and build up into overnight and weekend trips before throwing a bunch of money at gear and luggage. You will know pretty quick if it's your thing after a few 30-50+ mile days.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Question for the thread. I was looking at getting a computer since I don't trust myself to take the right turn and am always stopping to check my phone. That said, the Garmin eTrex is well regarded and as a general use GPS device is a lot better, but doesn't have turn-by-turn, but also doesn't have any of the performance tracking features which I don't care about and much longer battery life. Is turn-by-turn worth the extra cost and lower battery in anyone's opinion? I run a dyno so I could charge it if I get an additional charge unit, and I normally carry a battery bank on trips longer than two days.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

CopperHound posted:

I've toyed around with dynamo charging. An extra power bank is almost always a better choice.

The exception being a week plus of no outlets or sun while still being to keep up a 10mph pace. Idk where in the world that is.

I hate having to remember my lights, and I tend to night ride a lot on all my bikes. Dyno is definitely less efficient but for me the always there aspect for lights is worth it. I don't really care about charging devices and as you pointed out, outlets are generally easy to find.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Does anyone have any experience with mixing and matching dyno light brands for front and rear lights? I'm interested in running a Klite Bikepacker V2 with a Supernova E3 tail light. What do I need to check to see if the power coming off the hub or front light is compatible?

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

SimonSays posted:

Supernova lights specifically won't work with other brands. All the well-known euro ones are inter-compatible tho.

Ok, thanks for the heads up.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

SimonSays posted:

That K-Lite is really weird. It's hard to find this information anywhere and their website sucks, but it looks like it can use standard rear dynamo lights, meaning the Supernova is right out.

B+M make the Secula and the Mu, one of those should fit with what the Supernova does.

Yeah, I sent them an email to clarify the power output but I was leaning towards the Mu as a backup anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Does anyone have a good resource to explain how different mounts of trail/headtube angle/front bag weight interact?

Edit: More context. I'm wondering how running a handlebar bag on a long trail bike like the 88mm and 69 degrees of the Salsa Fargo will play out. My current Soma Wolverine with a 10l xpac rando bag and nitto rack is at 62mm and 72 degrees and it feels a bit nervous and I can't ride no handed at all even with the bag empty. I was hoping that my next bike would allow for no handed or at least stable handling with a bag on the front.

Nyyen fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 3, 2022