Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If you want some entry bikepacking bikes pretty much any Surly that can handle 29er/27.5 tires is a solid pick. Steel hardtails or rigid bikes in general are a good pick. Way smoother ride than aluminum and not as much worry about damage from straps and bags as carbon frames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Alan of CyclingAbout (a very good touring resource) gives an impassioned argument on how little frame material matters past a certain tire size, owing to deflection coming from the dominant soft spring in a system:
https://www.cyclingabout.com/why-impossible-steel-frames-more-comfortable-than-aluminium/
Ignore the clickbait title.

That might all be 100% correct for normal touring but I have ridden steel, Alu, carbon, and Ti off-road and on single track and the frame material definitely matters.especially with hard tails or rigid where your frame will be absorbing a lot of hits. And again, with bikepacking you have more concerns like frame rub and such.

I love my 10 year old alu road bike, but I’d never want to ride alu off-road for a long time while loaded.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Bike touring rules

Road rig

I made a custom little reflector/keep cars away from me thing I attach to my rear rack. It's a signpost with reflective tape, and I can safely ride in the middle of a lane and cars give me a lot more room with it. Cost about $2 to make, weighs nothing, and causes no noticeable drag (plus I can just turn it longways if needed).

Bikepacking rig

Posting from old thread for posterity

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

nah that's not too bad. 100/mi is when you start getting into hellish territory. All the TN/GA mountains are well over that and it's brutal after a few days of riding all day.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

is that iso fuel? didn't think you could even check that

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

i say swears online posted:

i almost died about four times, more if you count dengue, surgery, and cartels

well this demands a story time

goddamn

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Florida sucks

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The chain stays of a LHT completely disprove the idea of surly frames being overbuilt lol. They crush like a beer can.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

nm posted:

Are you referring to the LHT chainstays crushing when people use kickstands they specifically tell you not to use?

Yeah I’m saying that’s a good example of them not overbuilding, not that their frames aren’t robust where needed. I have owned and loved 4 surlys.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Just packed my bike for TNGA. Leaving Wed and start riding Thursday.

https://bikepacking.com/routes/trans-north-georgia-tnga/

:black101:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's going to be a banger weekend for sure. Got 3 days food packed and all of my water stops marked on my cue sheet and GPS so I shouldn't need any direct interactions with people.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

hemale in pain posted:

It was alright, this was in the morning so it had slackened a bit overnight when it got wet. Definitely not perfect set up but just would need to pull it a bit more taut over the wheel to get rid of that slump.

For my tarp I got a folding carbon 45” pole from Easton. You can see it holding up my bike in the pic a few posts back. Works great when I have no trees.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Used Cutthroats are pretty plentiful, but also look into a Fargo (their steel version of a drop bar MTB).

Also feel free to chat with me about the TD. I had a plane ticket for Banff this June 🙃

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 7, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

TNGA report

Close to 60 hours moving, 40k elevation, and about 9 hours of sleep.

I was stupidly optimistic about the route conditions given previous rider reports despite the lack of maintenance this year and the hurricane remnants going through the area the previous week. That made the jeep roads washed out and the singletrack a tree ridden mess. I was hiking about 1/4th of the first two days which killed my speed and increased my food and water needs.

Food was tight because I was trying to carry everything and not go for a resupply but I ended up needing to stop once into a rural town. Water was fine, Sawyer Flow did a great job and there was a ton of mountain streams and rivers to filter from (all crystal clear too). I had 96oz of bottles in gatorade bottles and an addition 24 oz in a mtn dew bottle I used for the filtering and in some stretches I would drink all 96 oz and drink more straight from the filter on the soda bottle.

Weather was a mix of brutal 99 degree heat and 90% humidity and perfect riding conditions. Nights never got chilly either to the point of never even needing a jacket. I got the slightest hint of rain for about 15 minutes but otherwise skies were clear. No animals, but I did see plenty of bear droppings.

At about 48 hours I stopped being able to swallow solid food which ended up being from acid reflux. I didn't feel any other symptoms but the constant exertion had worked acid up my throat and burned it raw, so when I took a bite of a bar with cinnamon in it it lit me up and I couldn't choke anything down. Tums helped a little but I had to rely on liquid calories for a while (also from my resupply).

Flats and trail runners continue to be the pro choice for bikepacking these routes. They dry out way faster and the comfort is a huge help on and off the bike. There were so many stream crossings I would have lost hours with clipless and the hiking would have murdered my calves in them as well.

Bike was a champ, 2.6 rigid was fine even though some of the singletrack got a little gnarly for me, but it was good to be forced to go slower and take safe lines instead of being risky while out there alone. Dynamo hub and AXA 70 light combo was ace, recharging my battery pack during the day and providing tons of light at night, even when slowly hiking the bike up a steep 20% grade.

I would definitely do the route again but likely not solo, hopefully the official race happens next year and it's safe to be out there, and I hope the route conditions improve before going through that again. I rode through so many spiderwebs I stopped bothering to wipe them off my face unless I saw a spider in them.

These are just some phone pics, I'll have a lot better from my film camera when I get the roll developed.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

375 or so counting dipping into town. Official route is right at 360

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

spf3million posted:

Great ride and great trip report. Care to share a Strava link?

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33896468?privacy_code=uGQUWCJ1KmYFgedC

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ECR is surlys most fun bike. When I bought my Ogre the shop had a fully Revelate kitted one on sale and I still regret not getting that instead.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

film photos from Huracan and TNGA

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

They solve a problem that doesn't exist. You can do the same way cheaper, lighter, and more secure with a traditional tent or tarp. A normal carbon pole falling over and your tent collapsing? Inconvenience. Bike falling on your head? Possible ER trip.

I use this carbon pole that weighs less than 2 oz.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015XFVV6I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I run a guyline through my bike frame or put the pole through one of the wheels if I'm worried about bike security. No one can snatch it without undoing my tarp that way.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Big Agnes tent designs are really good, but some of the materials are really delicate. Be careful about where you set them up because I've seen ripped inners and outers from minor stuff. And as with any tent store and clean them properly after they get wet and dirty, especially with thin fabrics like BA use.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Honestly for the price of the high end big agnes you might as well add a little more and get full DCF. Half the weight and a lot more durable.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

They're the highest grade material for tents currently, yeah. Dyneema cuben fiber is pretty ridiculously strong and light and is 100% waterproof and repairs super well and easily with DCF tape. The best for my money is Tarptent. Zpacks is a big name but they're quality is iffy and their customer service sucks. Hyperlite Mountain Gear is a great choice if you want extra durability over lightweight. People have done multiple through hikes on the AT/PCT and the tents have held up. I still prefer tarp and bivy for air flow and versatility but if I needed a full tent I'd get the Protrail in DCF.

https://www.tarptent.com/product/protrail-li/

There's also a new woven version that's a little heavier but even stronger. Revelate is using it for their handlebar bag

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/handlebar/pronghorndrybag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rhi31qZIbA

While that video makes DCF 50 look fragile I can assure you it's not. I have a backpack made with it and it's insanely durable unless you literally take a blade to it as demonstrated there.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 6, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Borah Gear tarp and bug bivy. It typically set it up like a 2 wall tent with one collapsible carbon poll and a tree. I’ve used it in the Southwest and Southeast. It’s great because in good weather I don’t bother with the tarp and just throw down the bivy in any nice spot and it’s like cowboy camping but you have a ground sheet and full bug net over you.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Nov 6, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Real bivys are absolute condensation hell if you're in the wrong climate for them (humidity and dew point dependent mostly). I tried one once and woke up soaked on a clear night, to the point where I had to wring out my sleeping clothes. That's why I vastly prefer the bug bivy style.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Either of these two pitches 90% of the time since I almost always just have one pole. There are also a few poleless pitches you can do if there are trees to tie out to. The top is better for all over rain protection and the second is better for wind protection.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 6, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If you want something in the same wheelhouse a Kona Sutra LTD is a great platform to do pretty much any kind of touring. Can take up to 2.1 tires I think.

Salsa Fargo if you want to run fatter tires and more rugged terrain.

Bombtrack has a ton of options in that space too.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

:3: good dog

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Apidura put out a new line of MTB specific bags in a nice welded seam VX21. If anyone is looking for bikepacking or MTB geometry compatible stuff that’s a great option.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Ogre or Troll will probably be the best fit for your description. My Ogre was a great bikepacking bike on and off-road.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CopperHound posted:

IMO if you aren't a big person I would consider troll and ogre overbuilt for anything short of heavy loads. I have a troll and my friend has an ogre. They handle riding off road with 40lbs of junk strapped to them like a champ, but without the load it just is kind of a disappointing ride. I don't know how to objectively quantify it, but it just isn't as fun to ride as other rigid dirt frames.

e: if you like ogre style I think the ecr is pretty similar but less heavily built. Also the 650b bridge club might be fun.

e2: I'd also suggest going with vertical dropouts or thru axle over the track ends unless you plan to set it up single speed.

I’ve only test ridden an ECR but it felt even more clunky and overbuilt than the ogre I ended up buying. It rode close to a fatbike, but that could have been down to the tires on that build.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

hemale in pain posted:

I got some ridiculous paper thin ultra sil backpack which rolls up into a tiny ball I take with me and use for when I go shopping and wanna buy more food than I can carry. I think it's like my favourite piece of equipment ever.

Yeah I have one of these from sea to summit and it's great for everything. daypack, flight bag, extra food for bikepacking, etc.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, Surly bikes are heavy, overbuilt, and slow clunkers, but they have a special feel that makes them a joy to ride. Even compared to other QBP brands Surlys just feel right. A hardtail Karate Monkey is some of the most fun I've had on trails and I really liked the one I owned for a few weeks before deciding to go the drop bar route.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Koth posted:

Which drop bar bike did you go with?

I sold my 3 Surly's and built a Bearclaw Beaux Jaxon. Actually came out ahead on what I spent on the Surly's, they held value really well.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You can definitely strap a dry bag to the front either under or over your cables as long as nothing is getting pinched or stretched too much. I ran a medium Revelate Sweetroll under my cables and never had an issue.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Koth posted:

I wish I had access to the bags Russ reviews. With the exchange rate and shipping to Canada, they usually come in at around $400.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bicycletouring/comments/ltc334/no_ortlieb_in_canada_alternatives/

Just saw this recently, might be some good suggestions for you there.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a loathsome bird posted:

Anyone have experience with the Vista 300 or Appalachian Gravel Growler? Looking for an intermediate level bikepacking route close-ish to Chattanooga for early June- will be riding a dropbar gravel bike on 47s, so chunky gravel is fine but something like the TNGA is probably out.

I did The Mountain 420 and it’s a brutal route. It covers most of Vista plus a lot of single track. I did it just after some major storms though so the trails and roads were trashed with multiple bridges out on the roads and stuff. Appalachian GG is probably the more chill route given what I’ve seen (but not having ridden it myself).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anyone interested in buying a Revelate Vole seatpack? I've only used it once and have since changed my setup and don't need it now. It was $150 new, looking for $100 + shipping.

It's also dropper compatible, which they no longer make.

It's this one:
https://bikepacking.com/gear/revelate-vole-review/

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a loathsome bird posted:

Anyone have experience with the Vista 300

well in a turn of fate I'm doing this with a buddy May 15th so I can give an update on the route. It's changed a bit since I rode there two years ago.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Rode ~2/3s of The Vista in Tennessee this weekend. 13500 ft of climbing on day one, 12000 on day two, then a gnarly end to my ride:

Bottom Liner posted:

I had a doozy of a mechanical on a bikepacking race this weekend. 240 miles in at 1 am I hit a big rock on a long gravel descent, bounced around pretty good, and ended up catching a branch in my wheel. It bent the valve stem about 60 degrees and caused an air leak. We tried to bend it back and the plan was to hopefully add sealant/super glue to hold the leak but the stem snapped. Upon unseating the bead, the inner rubber of the valve stem had popped off in the tire and the root of the stem was pulled down into the hole and was seemingly too big to fit back through or be pushed through the other side (tried using an allen wrench to push it through both ways). Had a 5 hour walk down the mountain that night and it didn't help that it was 40 degrees and I was sweating from the previous 9 mile climb when it happened, so I had to just keep walking to keep from getting hypothermic. Towards the end of trying to fix it I was shaking so bad I couldn't even get the thru axle back in . Currently waiting to hear back from the shop about their plan to extract it.

I'd put it on par with TNGA for difficulty, though TNGA has rougher terrain overall. The Smokies are just loooooong never ending climbs in a way the southern Appalachians don't really do. My riding partner made it another ~65 miles before his knee took him out too. There were about 20 riders and only 5 finished, with most dropping from getting sick in the near freezing temps at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I use 32 oz gatorades. The cages stretch out to hold them but they stay put. If there's anything larger that's not extremely long I'd love to know.