Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
First time I can't get a tubeless tire to set...I'm noticing a tiny bit of air flow out of the drain holes? Time to replace the tape?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

First time I can't get a tubeless tire to set...I'm noticing a tiny bit of air flow out of the drain holes? Time to replace the tape?

It would have to be a pretty severe leak to make a difference in setting the tire.

Going flat in short order, though, that it would do.

I’d try soapy water and more air volume before redoing the tape.

If you’re sure that it’s leaking (was it leaking at the end of the last tire’s life?), by all means replace the tape, but it wouldn’t be a top suspect in “why is this tire not seating?”

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 20, 2024

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
hard to know exactly how much it was leaking because all tubeless setups leak to some degree or another.

i caught a huge screw last sunday and later that night i tried putting a fresh tire on with new sealant and i can get it to seat on 180 degrees of the tire closest to the valve but cant get it out of the valley in the middle of the rim to the edges on the other 180 and then i feel air moving out the drain holes

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

hard to know exactly how much it was leaking because all tubeless setups leak to some degree or another.

i caught a huge screw last sunday and later that night i tried putting a fresh tire on with new sealant and i can get it to seat on 180 degrees of the tire closest to the valve but cant get it out of the valley in the middle of the rim to the edges on the other 180 and then i feel air moving out the drain holes

How wide is your tape and how wide is your rim? Have you double-checked how tight the valve nut?

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Assuming you mean DC, then this is what I'm going for. I'm moving down there soon and while I would start out with the paved trails, eventually I would like to hit the canal pathway which I think is way more uneven

No state. Does DC even have rail trails?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

resident posted:

No state. Does DC even have rail trails?

Yeah the Washington and Old Dominion trail which connects Purciville VA to downtown DC.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

TobinHatesYou posted:

How wide is your tape and how wide is your rim? Have you double-checked how tight the valve nut?

It's the original zipp tape that the 303fc came with 2 years ago

I thought it could be the valves and so I put a new Fillmore valve in and still no deal

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

It's the original zipp tape that the 303fc came with 2 years ago

I thought it could be the valves and so I put a new Fillmore valve in and still no deal

Is it properly popping onto the rim? I've had issues before where old sealant was creating friction between the tyre bead and the rim. Cleaning the edge of the tyre, using soapy water, and a tubeless inflator tank thing helped though.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
I've sometimes had problems with tubeless valves that have an o-ring as a seal. If you tighten them too hard the o-ring deforms too much and it leaks. This usually shows as air coming out of the spoke holes. Very annoying to spot since it's the same symptom as the tape having some issue.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

abraham linksys posted:

i went full dork mode and started ordering stuff from https://thefeed.com/, they were running a thing on strava where you'd get a "$60 yearly credit" (actually a $15 credit that reset every 3 months, so you have to order once every 3 months to get the full $60 worth)

i get clif bars, honey stingers, nuun tablets, a few gummies. the clif bars are constantly on sale for $1/each up to like 20 or something so it's a pretty good deal. though it does take self control to have a bunch of carbs just in a box in my kitchen, i do have to stop myself from eating the honey stingers as a snack because if you're not going to jump on a bike i'm pretty sure it's probably better nutritionally to eat literal candy. but that said if you are working out this stuff is usually in a good spot of "not too expensive, still basically regular food, will fuel you on the bike, won't make you go to the bathroom"

Same. I'm in a group that gives $20 every 3 months, but they're similarly scamming me.

Has anyone found a good high carb drink mix? Occasionally I'll buy Maurten on sale for super long rides, but that's pricey.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 20, 2024

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Residency Evil posted:

Same. I'm in a group that gives $20 every 3 months, but they're similarly scamming me.

Has anyone found a good high carb drink mix? Occasionally I'll buy Maurten on sale for super long rides, but that's pricey.
It needs to be a retail product? My current route is buying glucose, dextrose, and fructose in bulk and mixing them together myself. Two pounds fructose and three pounds other seems to work great for my stomach. It's not quite the sticky mess that is straight table sugar either. I even started buying salt products in bulk and mixing those but I only just started doing that so I'm still sorting it out a bit.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fructose is really hard on your liver

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hadlock posted:

Fructose is really hard on your liver

That’s the point.

A person can only digest so much glucose per hour. Fructose takes a different pathway, and involving that gets you more energy faster.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Crumps Brother posted:

It needs to be a retail product? My current route is buying glucose, dextrose, and fructose in bulk and mixing them together myself. Two pounds fructose and three pounds other seems to work great for my stomach. It's not quite the sticky mess that is straight table sugar either. I even started buying salt products in bulk and mixing those but I only just started doing that so I'm still sorting it out a bit.

Eh, I go back and forth on this. A container of Gatorade Endurance is $23 on Amazon, lasts me a while, and is fine for most rides. Sure if you mix your own it comes out cheaper.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have a long bike ride coming up on my road bike with a tubeless tire setup and I'm considering purchasing the Dynaplug Air which has a combination of the plug + CO2 option. This made me wonder where if I do have a leak that I need to plug, how do I know how much CO2 to use? I would assume the tire would only be partially deflated so how do I know the exact pressure?

And should I also bring a regular small tire pump with me to use every few days?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Residency Evil posted:

Eh, I go back and forth on this. A container of Gatorade Endurance is $23 on Amazon, lasts me a while, and is fine for most rides. Sure if you mix your own it comes out cheaper.
Last time I ordered it was $60 for 6lbs of carbs. So however the math comes out...? I actually ran the numbers when I did the salt mixture and I saved basically no money at all compared to what I was ordering previously. However, I think I'm using better ingredients so I still consider that a win.

I still order Gatorade Endurance though cuz I really like mixing that in with protein if I'm gonna make a shake. That's good stuff.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You should bring an air pump. Carbon dioxide leaks through rubber tires quite fast. If you flat on the first day, plug the tire, and fill with carbon dioxide, the tire will be limp by morning. It’s only good for finishing the day’s ride.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Busy Bee posted:

I have a long bike ride coming up on my road bike with a tubeless tire setup and I'm considering purchasing the Dynaplug Air which has a combination of the plug + CO2 option. This made me wonder where if I do have a leak that I need to plug, how do I know how much CO2 to use? I would assume the tire would only be partially deflated so how do I know the exact pressure?

And should I also bring a regular small tire pump with me to use every few days?

Why not just get a pump? The problems with hand pumps always had to do with hitting high pressures but less of a concern now that no one is running 100+ psi anymore. Depending on what pressure you're running you can get either high volume or high pressure ones.

My lezyne pressure drive has always done well by me, even getting me up above 100psi on my old road setup without my arms falling off.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I used to be a casual cyclist combined bike commuter but stopped when I moved further out of the city I live in. Lately, I've been considering a cyclocross bike or a gravel bike to take around rail trails, while also being something I can take on the road here. The roads are mostly full of potholes, trash, and uneven pavement. I bought a mountain bike last year and that was way too intense for me.

I currently have a 41cm Jamis Ventura Comp with 650cc wheels. I'm really short, and this bike fits me perfectly. I've been looking around and it looks like they do make 41cm cyclocross bikes, but admittedly I have no idea where to find them. My road bike I kind of accidentally found on Craigslist. Should I be looking to purchase directly from manufacturors, or would looking at kids cyclocross bikes be just as effective?

Is there a benefit over a cyclocross bike vs a gravel bike? My husband has a cyclocross bike and that thing is beast, but then I'm seeing online people saying get a gravel bike unless you want to compete in cyclocross.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

A cx bike is designed around a short wheelbase, high bottom bracket, being easy to shoulder, and 33mm tires. They're fine but not ideal for not-cx riding. A gravel bike is a better option for anything outside of a cx course.

FWIW my first "real" bike was a Kona Jake, marketed as a cx thing, and it was great for commuting around Seattle

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

A cx bike is designed around a short wheelbase, high bottom bracket, being easy to shoulder, and 33mm tires. They're fine but not ideal for not-cx riding. A gravel bike is a better option for anything outside of a cx course.

FWIW my first "real" bike was a Kona Jake, marketed as a cx thing, and it was great for commuting around Seattle

That's kind of the type of bike I'm looking for. I've seen them a bunch around here but always preferred my road bike for commuting. Are there any bikes similar that either come in kids frames or 41cm? Its been years since I've looked for bikes, I'm so lost.

e: nevermind, used my brain and went to the Kona site and they have a few options.

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 20, 2024

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Shnooks posted:

e: nevermind, used my brain and went to the Kona site and they have a few options.

Just FYI, Kona is undergoing a fire sale, so you might be limited to whatever is in stock at shops. You might run into a warranty issue not being covered depending on what happens to the company. I personally wouldn’t let that deter me if the price were good.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Residency Evil posted:

Skratch high carb is by far my favorite. I can drink it all day where I really struggle to do that with some of the others. I think I normally get the lemon flavor.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The smallest konas are generally 48cm and tend to run a little on the large size. But they do still have roves, rove dls, and libres in a lot of sizes as far as I know (it will list in stock on the website if they do). On the other hand they might just be like "sorry we're closed down" on monday.

XS cannondale topstones are pretty small- smaller than say a 48 kona or 49 trek checkpoint, but still probably bigger than a 41. Possibly you could find some variety of one in stock at a shop somewhere to try. The aluminum frames are 700c only but the carbon ones come in 650b wheel options to which makes the whole bike a little lower

like this one is not a bad deal and could possibly fit you in the XS size but also I have no idea

https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bikes/road/gravel/topstone-carbon/topstone-carbon-3-l-650b

As far as cyclocross vs gravel goes, pure cyclocross bikes are becoming more rare in favor of "gravel." There is a lot of overlap between the two categories but in general a "gravel" bike is probably a better option for most people. I even just bought a "gravel" bike even though I actually race cyclocross. The geo is almost to my previous kona major jake cx bike but it fits bigger tires and has a slightly lower bottom bracket.

Oh Surlys and maybe salsas, liv, all come in really small sizes. Although actually the stragger in 38 and 42 with 650b wheels aren't really much smaller than an XS topstone and even have a taller standover

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 21, 2024

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
drat is Kona dead? Sad day for sure

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The go to options -- Isla Luath, Vitus Energie 26 -- also belong to dead companies :negcycle:

Neither is gonna appear on the US used market frequently enough to hold out hope for.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

drat is Kona dead? Sad day for sure

Kent is looking to sell the company, but they unlikely to find a buyer for anything other than the name/trademarks.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Math You posted:

Why not just get a pump? The problems with hand pumps always had to do with hitting high pressures but less of a concern now that no one is running 100+ psi anymore. Depending on what pressure you're running you can get either high volume or high pressure ones.

My lezyne pressure drive has always done well by me, even getting me up above 100psi on my old road setup without my arms falling off.

Pressure would be around 65 to 70 PSI.

So you would suggest just getting the basic Dynaplug tool kit + a pump? Is the benefit of CO2 more for day trips and not having to worry about getting a high pressure in the tire?

How do you check the PSI of a tire with a hand pump? I can clearly see the PSI on my regular pump at home but wondering what it would be like on the road to make sure I get the right pressure.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you need more precision than “this feels right, you can carry a gauge.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Busy Bee posted:

So you would suggest just getting the basic Dynaplug tool kit + a pump? Is the benefit of CO2 more for day trips and not having to worry about getting a high pressure in the tire?

How do you check the PSI of a tire with a hand pump? I can clearly see the PSI on my regular pump at home but wondering what it would be like on the road to make sure I get the right pressure.

I normally just go by feel for the rest f the day and sort out things at home. I do believe Leyzne sell a hand pump with an in line gauge and another with a digital gauge.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!

Busy Bee posted:

If your other tire is still properly inflated, give it a squeeze and try and match to that. I usually err on the side of being under-inflated.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Busy Bee posted:

It doesn’t that much, you’d probably be able to tell by squeezing with your hand in the right ballpark.

CO2 is good for quickly fixing a flat when other people are waiting for you and it’s raining and cold. They’re no better than a pump other than that, and are not a replacement for a pump for me at all - too easy to gently caress it up and waste the gas and strand yourself.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

quote:

too easy to gently caress it up and waste the gas and strand yourself.

Been there did that luckily it was only 1.5 miles of walking

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rubber is mostly permeable to CO2, too, so it's likely your tire will just go flat by the next morning, making you think your patch job sucks

Once you air it back to with regular atmosphere it should hold pressure a lot better until the fraction of CO2 is low

I don't know anything about gas exchange in tpu tubes though

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Is there a definitive bike maintenance guide? I know Park Tools has a ton of good youtube content but I'd like something that I can read as well.

Also, are there any recommended basic tools for general bike ownership? I think over the summer I'm getting either a Domane AL 3 or 4.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

vikingstrike posted:

Skratch high carb is by far my favorite. I can drink it all day where I really struggle to do that with some of the others. I think I normally get the lemon flavor.

Skratch is good stuff, although I've never tried the high carb version. Seems fairly pricey too.

Still bummed Skratch got rid of their green tea+machta flavor.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Maltodextrine (super super cheap) mixed with fructose powder (not quite so cheap) mixed 1:0.8, dash of electrolyte powder and flavour with squash of your choice

Less than a 90 mins ride don't bother with the fructose

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Skarsnik posted:

Maltodextrine (super super cheap) mixed with fructose powder (not quite so cheap) mixed 1:0.8, dash of electrolyte powder and flavour with squash of your choice

Less than a 90 mins ride don't bother with the fructose

Or just use table sugar for anything that isn’t an epic day long ride where the total sugar load will affect your guts. An order of magnitude cheaper than even maltodextrin, available everywhere and 1:1 is close enough.

It’s what Bora nutrition guy Tim Podlogar does. https://youtu.be/InTUv24Y4UA?si=ojnyZS_X8UrVKPqO

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I like to do things properly :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

KKKLIP ART posted:

Is there a definitive bike maintenance guide? I know Park Tools has a ton of good youtube content but I'd like something that I can read as well.

Also, are there any recommended basic tools for general bike ownership? I think over the summer I'm getting either a Domane AL 3 or 4.

Park tools has the big blue book of bicycle repair. They also have a bunch of tool kits depending on how deep you want to go into bike mechanic world