Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Alaska fucks a man up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

lmao you aren't wrong

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

ilkhan posted:

34x36 if I don't get a Grail or Grizl (waiting on GRX 2x12 Di2), 31xsomething if I do. Endurace will be marginal for the gravel I think, so hopefully they release this summer.

Glad to hear it's worth the ride, we're spending a week in the area.

The Arkansas River Valley (so basically like Salida up to Leadville) is probably my favorite part of the state. The Collegiate Peaks are great, great riding, and good family activities.

And I’m unsure your fitness but I would run 34x36 without much thought. YMMV.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

vikingstrike posted:

The Arkansas River Valley (so basically like Salida up to Leadville) is probably my favorite part of the state. The Collegiate Peaks are great, great riding, and good family activities.

And I’m unsure your fitness but I would run 34x36 without much thought. YMMV.
It's a 12sp 105, I think the sprockets are 11-32 right now, but it's easy enough to swap I think. Probably get a Grail or Grizl, I want the tire clearance as well as the gearing.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
I’m noodling on doing some long distance gravel events that will have me riding at length in the dark.

What’s the thread consensus for lighting options that don’t involve a dynamo hub?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

mexecan posted:

What’s the thread consensus for lighting options that don’t involve a dynamo hub?
You want something with a gently caress-off sized battery attached to it. For me that was a Cygolite Centauri 1700. Or you want a headlight that can charge off of an external USB battery while it's running. For me that was a random Cygolite or Serfas headlight. The last NiteRider I purchased couldn't do that and I sold it immediately after I found out. For the type of overnight riding that I was doing I needed something on my helmet so I can read road signs easier and whatnot. So I always had a light on my bars and a light on my helmet. You may or may not be in that boat.

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 30, 2024

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

mexecan posted:

I’m noodling on doing some long distance gravel events that will have me riding at length in the dark.

Outbound Lighting, specifically the Detour, has reached consensus for top end of the market if you can stomach the price. They have one of the best beam patterns available in the US so you can also use it for commuting without blinding oncoming traffic. I find low brightness to be plenty so you can expect to get the upper end of their battery life spec.

resident fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 30, 2024

Jesse Ventura
Jan 14, 2007

This drink is like somebody's memory of a grapefruit, and the memory is fading.

mexecan posted:

What’s the thread consensus for lighting options

You should get a dyna-

mexecan posted:

that don’t involve a dynamo hub?

:ohno:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

mexecan posted:

I got a Gloworm XS around ten years ago that still works great. They can go ridiculously bright for trail riding out in the middle of nowhere, but when I run it at commuter brightness the battery lasts a week or more.

https://www.action-led-lights.com/en-ca/collections/gloworm-lights

I believe the newer generations use USB-C batteries, but I can't comment too much on that because of being on the older gen. Their service has also been fantastic the times I've had to get in touch with them. The wire harness started cracking on mine from becoming brittle at -40C, and when I sent it in they upgraded it with a beefier harness that would stand up better to the Canadian winter. On top of that they also upgraded the internal electronics to the next generation with slightly higher output, which was very nice of them.

Here''s the profiles I programmed mine with, it's user customizable for whatever your preferences may be.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 30, 2024

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I have a bunch of lights

light and motion rando 500 - small, light, good battery life plus pass through charging. Use this when I might be getting home after dark, mainly on my road bike. Downside is it's not quite bright enough for faster gravel or trail riding.

light and motion taz 1200 - big and chunky and bright with a really good spot down the road plus good coverage right in front and to the sides. This was my go to for night mtb riding but the battery started to become unreliable and replacing the battery was going to cost more than the whole light. A seca 1500 would be my rec for a l+m light.

bontrager ion pro 1300 - pretty good but too many modes and too many flash modes. You want to go from low to high and you have to skip by the blinking settings and might accidentally turn it off. Can be controlled with garmin or an app, although i don't ever do that. It would probably let me switch modes more easily. Trek also has a lot of good mounting options from the included hard mount that works with 35mm bars to mounts that go on the stem faceplace to a gopro tab adapter. Would like to try the new commuter pro light which has a wider beam with a cutoff for normal riding on roads plus a high beam mode.

Lezyne lite drive 1200 - small, bright, has "race mode" which switches only between low and high, good battery life. Got this to try mtb night riding but wasn't quite bright enough in the center of the pattern. It does have a good wide beam that lets you see through corners and the edges of the road well but there's no bright center spot so you can't see as far. With a helmet light it worked pretty good but I didn't like it for going faster on roads and gravel and ordered a brighter one

Lezyne super drive 1800 smart - big, bright, good battery life, race mode, plus you can program what settings come on. So for shoulder season road/gravel rides I have it set to go from like low, to medium, to blinking. Night MTB rides I can have it just go from low to high. One thing it's lacking is a good mount for 35mm handlebars for night mtb riding. But it does have a gopro adapter I use on the road/gravel hung under my stem. At the 500lumen setting it says it'll last for 6 hours.

Outbound hangover - this one goes on my helmet for mtb riding. lightweight, low profile, good beam pattern. Could be a bit brighter to see farther down the trail ahead of my good handlebar mounts but is pretty bright still. Also used it for night skiing and skimo racing. Goes on a gopro mount. Have had this for a few years now and still holds a good charge. I think they have a little brighter new version in the works. I would like a hangover for mtb but they're expensive and the lezyne is pretty good.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 30, 2024

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

ilkhan posted:

It's a 12sp 105, I think the sprockets are 11-32 right now, but it's easy enough to swap I think. Probably get a Grail or Grizl, I want the tire clearance as well as the gearing.

I live next door in the Roaring Fork Valley and I'm on an older bike with 11-28 and 34/50. I've done Independence Pass and other local climbs in various combinations on that just fine.

Granted if it wouldn't be a total pain to get a 32t sprocket on there I probably would, but I wouldn't stress about the gearing too much in this area.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

ilkhan posted:

Its this one https://ridewithgps.com/routes/40941018
Its not *all* together, but almost 60% of the climb is in the first 11mi.

My chicken out option is to ride tour of the moon (same date, damnit, I wanted to ride both), which is less climb at a lower altitude. I currently live at about 1200' elevation, its a big difference.

Haven't registered yet, but planning on doing that one. The 76 mile version.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

resident posted:

Outbound Lighting, specifically the Detour, has reached consensus for top end of the market if you can stomach the price. They have one of the best beam patterns available in the US so you can also use it for commuting without blinding oncoming traffic. I find low brightness to be plenty so you can expect to get the upper end of their battery life spec.

The Detour is also nice because it has passthrough run'n'charge meaning you can hook a USB Battery to it and keep it running through the night. A 20k battery should keep the light running through the night.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I got like an around 1k lumen cygolite 8 years ago because it was on a hot deal and the thing is like a goddamn searchlight and lasts forever. I can't imagine how many good options for 6-10 hours there must be nowadays at reasonable prices.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Continental Touring 28 Light tubes are fragile garbage. That is all

Tubes suck. Tubeless suck more.

Assuming you are on road bike.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!

Withnail posted:

I just fill my rims with marbles.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
How concerned should I be about being a few lbs over max rated vehicle weight on bikes? My family is looking at adding a 2nd cargo bike, something nicer than the Radwagon 4 that has been OK but definitely has some downsides, and we're trying to pick between the Tern Quick Haul vs HSD. Goal here is 1 adult + 1 kid, our kids are getting so big that carrying both kids on a single bike is more than my wife wants to carry in general.

I see that the Quick Haul has a 330lb gross vehicle weight limit, which puts us drat close to the limit with a 200lb rider, 65lb kid, bike that weighs just over 50lbs bare. That leaves less than 10lbs for bags, accessories, and future kid growth.

The HSD buys us a lot more weight rating room, with a 374lb weight rating and a bike that's only 6lbs heavier, but I think we'd prefer the Quick Haul if weight isn't a concern.

The Radwagon 4 that we already have and use regularly is rated for a lot more than either, with 350lbs of carrying capacity on top of the bike itself weighing 77lbs, but as our kids have gotten bigger my wife hates how the Radwagon feels when it's loaded that heavy, especially with its terrible brakes. I don't mind hauling both kids on it still, but you certainly feel it in everything that you're doing with it. 400lbs of bike + riders + cargo is just a lot.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Withnail posted:

Road tubeless is pretty fantastic actually!

dema
Aug 13, 2006

TobinHatesYou posted:

Road tubeless is pretty fantastic actually!

It really is. Been having great luck with 28 N.EXT tires and Orange Seal.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The opening of west side story but its tubes vs goos in the bike thread.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Even on my 10 year old rim brake road bike with 25mm tires tubeless has been good. On my cx/gravel bike I have a wheelset with 34mm corsas n.exts and those are so nice. Did a 3 day race last weekend on them, part pavement, part dirt, part mud, had pressures in the 45psi range. Comfy, grippy, fast, handled a few impacts where you think "uh oh that might be a puncture" with no issues.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Had to go back and check but not had a tube in any bike for over 7 years now

:feelsgood:

klezmer life yo
Jan 7, 2011
Am I the only one running both tubes and sealant? My commuter and main mtb both have tubeless-incompatible wheelsets, but the himalayan blackberry shoots across the MUP and trails all summer here and punches a million pinholes in my tires.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

klezmer life yo posted:

Am I the only one running both tubes and sealant? My commuter and main mtb both have tubeless-incompatible wheelsets, but the himalayan blackberry shoots across the MUP and trails all summer here and punches a million pinholes in my tires.
I've done it when I want to be extra careful with certain big rides. I haven't in awhile though. On that note, orange seal works great with latex tubes and stan's really really doesn't.
Who's gonna be the first to make the "Stan's doesn't work at all!" post?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
There’s many scenarios where tubeless makes less sense like short commutes w/work clothes, backup or event specific (TT) wheelsets that get very little use, or you just never race / join no-wait group rides and have all the time in the world to change a flat.

“road tubeless sucks” = skill issue. It takes a modicum of time learning best practices, just like anything else.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Crumps Brother posted:

I've done it when I want to be extra careful with certain big rides. I haven't in awhile though. On that note, orange seal works great with latex tubes and stan's really really doesn't.
Who's gonna be the first to make the "Stan's doesn't work at all!" post?

maybe the flints in Scotland are different to North America but i've never had a problem with Stan's :shrug:

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

klezmer life yo posted:

I do on the cargo bike

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

TobinHatesYou posted:

There’s many scenarios where tubeless makes less sense like short commutes w/work clothes, backup or event specific (TT) wheelsets that get very little use, or you just never race / join no-wait group rides and have all the time in the world to change a flat.

“road tubeless sucks” = skill issue. It takes a modicum of time learning best practices, just like anything else.

The only issue with tubeless I’ve ever had was putting brand new hand made Challenge tires on early “tubeless ready” aluminum rims that just don’t seal very well until you’re like 10+ rides in.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I did hollywood hill on the tolt pipeline twice without putting a foot down. Next time I'm going for 3. Going to crush seven hills of kirkland next month. 💪

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

meltie posted:

maybe the flints in Scotland are different to North America but i've never had a problem with Stan's :shrug:

I've been using Stans exclusively for four years and it's fine. Never had a single flat on Stan's. Go riding with tubes, I get two flats in three rides. The lesson is that Stan's, as lovely as it may be, beats tubes.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
Jealous of the Stan's stans. The shop used it when they set me up and I got so many little flats that wouldn't seal on rails-to-trails track (more than I ever got with tubes, but maybe just unlucky) that it almost turned me off tubeless entirely. I'm glad it works for someone.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Salt Fish posted:

I did hollywood hill on the tolt pipeline twice without putting a foot down. Next time I'm going for 3. Going to crush seven hills of kirkland next month. 💪

Absolute mad lad

Let's meet at the top sometime (I'll have to walk up) and do the rest of the stinky spoke

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

meltie posted:

It's not that Stan's isn't eh fine / perfectly acceptable / quite seemingly ok. It's just that Orange Seal will blow your mind one day when you decide to switch. It's like comparing a Popeye's Chicken Sandwich to a McChicken.

1) It seals punctures better, especially at very high pressures
2) Tires hold air better
3) It weighs less when dried out
4) It's easier to clean/remove.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 2, 2024

resident
Dec 22, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

Is Hollywood hill the same as heart attack hill?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
For those who have gone on multi day road bike trips, how do you do your laundry? Just in the hotel sink and hope it dries by next morning? I guess the bib and jersey material should dry quickly.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Busy Bee posted:

For those who have gone on multi day road bike trips, how do you do your laundry? Just in the hotel sink and hope it dries by next morning? I guess the bib and jersey material should dry quickly.

Sink, water pump, river, whatever is available really.

Jersey will dry in minutes. Most everything else dries quickly, the chamois will take the longest. The chamois can also trap soap so it needs just a tiny bit of camp soap so you’re not rinsing it forever. If you have a dry towel you can roll up the chamois as tight as possible to squish out water into the towel.

At a hotel you can also just blast it with the hair dryer.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
During my multi-day bike ride, temps are expected to be around 55 ~ 70 degrees with some rain. I'm trying to figure out what type of light jacket to buy with my budget. I run a lot and never wear a waterproof jacket or anything since the jacket doesn't breathe well so I'm wondering what type of jacket I should be looking at. I see some nice $150+ Gore-Tex Paclite jackets and some cheaper $60 Vaude Wind / Rainproof jackets as well. There's a Gore-tex vest but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of using it against the rain?

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Sink, water pump, river, whatever is available really.

Jersey will dry in minutes. Most everything else dries quickly, the chamois will take the longest. The chamois can also trap soap so it needs just a tiny bit of camp soap so you’re not rinsing it forever. If you have a dry towel you can roll up the chamois as tight as possible to squish out water into the towel.

At a hotel you can also just blast it with the hair dryer.

Good tips, thank you! I guess I don't need to buy a second pair of bibs or a jersey then.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 10:16 on May 2, 2024

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
With all the orange seal love going around, I gotta ask. Original, or Endurance?

resident
Dec 22, 2005

Busy Bee posted:

During my multi-day bike ride, temps are expected to be around 55 ~ 70 degrees with some rain. I'm trying to figure out what type of light jacket to buy with my budget. I run a lot and never wear a waterproof jacket or anything since the jacket doesn't breathe well so I'm wondering what type of jacket I should be looking at. I see some nice $150+ Gore-Tex Paclite jackets and some cheaper $60 Vaude Wind / Rainproof jackets as well. There's a Gore-tex vest but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of using it against the rain?

Good tips, thank you! I guess I don't need to buy a second pair of bibs or a jersey then.

Gore-Tex ShakeDry is the best cold weather complete barrier, but at those temps you’ll probably trap so much sweat you might as well not wear it. I like a wind/water repellent ultralight nylon or polyester + spandex jacket that is more likely to repel light rain, dry quickly if it does come down, and continue to breath. Wear a light merino base layer under that for temps below 60f. I have a Mission Workshop Interval jacket for that purpose but they aren’t that well made for the price but do at least have a lifetime warranty. The cuffs started falling off on mine and I decided to fix them myself rather than fill out the lifetime warranty paperwork. Do you already have a running jacket that you can just dual purpose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

resident posted:

Gore-Tex ShakeDry is the best cold weather complete barrier, but at those temps you’ll probably trap so much sweat you might as well not wear it. I like a wind/water repellent ultralight nylon or polyester + spandex jacket that is more likely to repel light rain, dry quickly if it does come down, and continue to breath. Wear a light merino base layer under that for temps below 60f. I have a Mission Workshop Interval jacket for that purpose but they aren’t that well made for the price but do at least have a lifetime warranty. The cuffs started falling off on mine and I decided to fix them myself rather than fill out the lifetime warranty paperwork. Do you already have a running jacket that you can just dual purpose?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm thinking of going for the more affordable simple and lighter nylon wind/water repellent jacket. Especially with the expected temps.

I don't have any wind / water repellent running jackets actually. When running, I prefer to get soaking wet rather than just trapping all the sweat in. Never had any issues with this approach.