Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
What do you mean by paths, not necessarily paved? Hiking trails in the forest? A plain city bike with decently wide tires and maybe a front fork suspension will do just fine on gravel paths like this:

This happens to be an ebike but it doesn't have to be. As a kid I used to go on 20 km rides in the summer on an old step-through on gravel roads like this. I forget if it even had gears, it might have had a three-speed internal gear hub maybe? It was mostly quite flat though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

wooger posted:

- I have a little Abus cafe lock with a retractable cable which I occasionally use on very long distance rides, on my nice bike, with lots of food stops.
- I have a light-ish Kryptonite chain lock that I can wrap around my seatpost on my commuter if I know I’m gonna stop somewhere. Still almost as heavy as a D-lock, but convenient, can easily go round my friend’s bikes too, and apparently chain locks are harder to quickly angle grind as they don’t stay still.

I do something like this too. I have an Abus 5850 frame lock (e: I guess these are called café locks in the US so we might be referring to the same thing?) permanently mounted to the bike that serves as the brief stop security. It's incredibly convenient if you have to leave the bike only for a minute or so - takes all of two seconds to lock up and you can't forget to bring it. It's surprisingly annoying to get rid of for a thief too; it's just an 8,5 mm (5/16", ish) steel bar, but it's in a really awkward place to get to with an angle grinder and you need to cut it twice to defeat the lock - once on each side of the rear wheel. The big problem with it is you can just carry the bike away and deal with it somewhere else, so I also carry an 8 mm chain lock wrapped around the saddle post which secures the frame and the front wheel to a fence or a lamp post or whatever. This is good enough to make me not worry about leaving the bike for an hour or so for shopping, as long as it's in a high traffic area. It's not too hard to defeat but I figure it'd take a few minutes at least. Seems to have worked so far.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 16, 2024