Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Re: earlier discussion, these are the kind of people who buy Enves

You seem to really care how other people spend money on bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Go ahead and start saving for the MTB.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

redcheval posted:

Snagged that Midnight Special in hot mayo. No idea what I’m doing but I’m excited

Nice! Congrats on the new bike. Pictures? There's a picture thread here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933902

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

golden bells posted:

I'm just a lurker, but I got a job in sales at a LBS a few months ago. Just let me say that normie and nerd customers alike need 2 get a grip (and not just handlebar grips)

Grip2 vvc please.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Don’t spend 5k on a road bike. Spend 5k on MTB. At the same time, you will also be buying the best most versatile gravel bike on the market.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Ammanas posted:

i dropped my stem two spacers and now my taint hurts if i ride in the drops

changing the stem back simply isnt an option because a lower stem is more pro therefore better

Htfu and develop a taint of steel

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Bud Manstrong posted:

this,

also this, and they’re made in the US.

I’ve never loved the attachment system on the Kuat and Thule racks; they can rub certain forks in a weird way and they can be difficult to use with bikes with fenders. They also have more wobble and it’s more difficult to position multiple bikes so they don’t touch. Other companies have started using similar attachment systems to 1up, but they’re more expensive (Saris) for more plastic parts and not quite as easy to adjust the bike position. The 1up wheel lock system also provides a bit more security than the cable locks on other high end racks.

Yeah I’m struggling with fork weirdness now. The holder wants to press on the brake cable in a weird way and I’m having to figure out a good solution. I would get the 1up

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Here’s a link to the MTB thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933905&perpage=40&noseen=1#post506766777

Come ask questions and learn that mountain biking isn’t 100% like riding a motorcycle.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Chinatown posted:

So I have really gotten the cycling bug this summer. I'm on my GT Karakoram Sport hard tail MTB, bone stock.

I'm putting between 10-20 miles on average a day and have been thinking about what to upgrade. I'm doing mostly urban rides with some trails here and there.

Would simplifying my drivetrain with a 1x setup be worth it? New bars? The fork sucks and I plan to upgrade that. Brakes are getting a bit squeaky and I could definitely use better tires. Its a nice starter MTB but there's clearly alot of room for improvement. :shrug:

I would be hesitant to spend too much and would recommend saving money for the most part for a new bike. You get a lot of bang for your buck on a new bike with OEM pricing. That said, I’d recommend new tires and going tubeless if you haven’t yet, new saddle and grips can be quite nice too, bars too if you’d like to try a different width. Fork, brakes, and drivetrain are probably expensive enough I’d hold out. You might be able to convert to 1x relatively cheap (just changing parts at the crank) but I wouldn’t for example get like a new NX 1x groupset

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Chinatown posted:

Thanks. Any time of year when there are good sales? Its a fine bike but I definitely would like to upgrade to something more *substantial* and high quality feeling.

Normally when shops are trying to clear out last years models there will be sales. Sadly with how popular cycling has gotten during Covid I’m not sure how common this is at the moment. For example, I asked one shop recently how much they could take off a fairly expensive bike from last year they still had and they just sort of shrugged.

You could always think about going used. Although for the same reason, prices are high and inventory low at the moment. I moved a bike in about 12 hours from posting 3 weeks ago.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

numberoneposter posted:

New bike for m'lady friend.

Where are the brakes???

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My dealer does Giant + Jamis and tried to sell me a Renegade vs. my Contend AR

I like the Jamis bikes but the fact that they stick aluminum, steel, and fiber frames in the same product name range kinda turned me off as a new buyer.

Giant is pretty clear on what they offer, Contend is Aluminum, Defy is all fiber.

I appreciate that.

Pretty sure the Defy isn’t made out of cereal. And I do appreciate that.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

kimbo305 posted:

The suspension fork is kind of superfluous. More weight that it's worth in 95% of on-road conditions.

This is slightly cheaper and gonna be lighter:
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-3-disc/p/28474/
Only downside is that they choose to spec it with 32mm tires, which is skinnier than the FX can handle and not the cushiest. The shop might be able to swap some 35s on there for you.

This is good advice.

EvilJoven posted:

Get the dualsport and upgrade the fork to a Rockshox Paragon.

Please don’t buy an aftermarket fork if you get that bike. It would be better to take any money leftover and make sure you have the accessories you need: a helmet, shoes, pedals, etc. If you have all of this stuff, save the money and put it toward your inevitable next bike.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
How much are you looking to spend total?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
27.5+ wheels? Many bikes with boost spacing can switch back and forth between that and 29

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Not a huge double tap fan but it’s fine and you certainly get used to it

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

amenenema posted:

Honestly I find it more versatile to have a couple pairs of good, lightweight bibs and then throw running leggings/capris over them depending on the season. Plus, that way you can ditch an outer layer on long rides where the weather may be variable.

Leg warmers are good and versatile for stuff like this. The problem can be if it’s cold enough you really do benefit from the lining over the top of your bibs where the leggings don’t cover.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Cyclocross bikes are not in any way made for comfortable long term riding.

I was actually looking at a cyclocross bike initially and my LBS refused to sell me one because he said it was the wrong kind of bike for the riding I did and that I'd just hurt myself on it. He was right!

It all depends on bike set up/fit and your fitness. Might not work for someone new to the sport, but doesn’t make it a rule.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I assure you CX bikes are wrecked all over the world and live to ride another day. Promise.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

spf3million posted:

That is a handsome bike, great bar tape/saddle/frame color match.

I've been debating the aesthetics of my build. It's going to have modern components: black drive train, black brakes, muted-logo carbon wheels. I was going to go with black stem and post as well but now I'm thinking that they need to be silver as a continuation of the chrome fork and rear triangle. Are there rules about this?

This is an A+ frame design

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Eejit posted:

I'm looking to order a Ripmo or a Hightower within the week and I'm stuck. I can buy the Hightower from a place just down the street or I can go buy the Ripmo from a spot about an hour away. Both are good shops. From what I've been reading, the Ripmo seems a slightly better bike, but the convenience of my LBS being a two minute walk for the Hightower seems also worthy of consideration.

Has anyone had experience with either to sway me towards one bike or the other?

I have a new Hightower and there are people in the thread that have Ripmo V2s. I live in Colorado and have ridden on front range stuff (SSV, Longhorn, Mtn Lion, etc.) to bigger mountain rides (Kenosha, Wheelers/Miners Creek, etc.) and it's been great. Climbs very comfortably and is a blast going downhill. Happy to answer any questions you have. IMHO, I don't think you can go wrong with either bike. Modern AM bikes are really great.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Eejit posted:

Cool, that doesn't help because both bikes sound great haha. I might end up with the HT simply for ease of dealer access. Or it might come down to price. I'll talk to both shops and see what pans out.

Also I'm not counting on actually receiving the bike until Feb or Mar. But I want to get a bike I want, not just deal with whatever super limited inventory I can find. I'd come down to Denver and hang but I won't be in until the second weekend of Nov

Heh, I may not help you out any, but my reply to your earlier post is below.

Eejit posted:

Yeah I live in Basalt (near Aspen) and I'm looking for something to handle my local stuff, which is extremely varied, while also being fun in the desert (Grand Valley, Moab). I'm currently on a 2015? Giant Anthem 29er that's been frankenbiked for trail service and I realllllllly need to upgrade.

My biggest question about the Hightower and the only reason I'm not immediately pulling the trigger is that some reviews say it's a bit sluggish when going slow, which is me because I'm somewhere between intermediate and advanced, and that it can be a bit funky on tech climbing, which is one of my weaker areas. Also a few people have said it's a bit front heavy. I do A LOT of up on my bike and I like to take it a bit slower when working through downhill obstacles, how do you think the Hightower would work for me?

In short, yes, I think the Hightower would be fine for you. To answer some of your questions directly:

- I've never noticed the front end being heavy, but as you mention it, I could see that. More than anything, though, the bike feels very planted to the ground. I am not someone who does massive jumps or the like and appreciate this aspect of the bike. In particular, coming from my old Horsethief, I think the HT's rear suspension is much better at sticking to the ground (both directions).
- While I love descending, I'm a better climber and don't think I would ever feel happy on a bike that felt sluggish climbing. Thankfully, the HT climbs just fine. I do think I am a bit slower than on my Horsethief in certain places, but I don't really care, if that makes sense. The geometry means I actually sit in a more comfortable position when climbing. As for technical climbing, I feel the bike actually does quite well here. The active rear means that you get very good traction with the ground, which helps keep you moving up when climbing. I've cleared many tech climbs on the bike and felt fine. YMMV.
- As for descending slower? I don't think the bike would feel weird. I've enjoyed the wider bars + shorter stem, so the bike feels more active in many ways (regardless of speed) than my old bike.

Similar to Bud's comments on the Ripmo: I think the HT pedals very well. I've set both climbing and (many) downhill PRs over the last 2 months and had several long days with no odd pain. Modern bikes are a whole lot of fun and I don't think you can go wrong. I'm also 5'9" and sized down to a Medium, but could have ridden a Large. A couple of other points to consider: I think the current Ibis builds are pretty great value and might be a tad lighter than a HT at a similar price point. If the only thing keeping you back are your earlier comments, I personally wouldn't worry about them, but ultimately think you'll have a blast on either.

If it's really even for you: decide based on shop quality and which bike you think looks better.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
A phone step tracking app would be terrible at estimating bike power btw.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Eejit posted:

I actually decided to go Hightower because I can get it in aluminum. For 4200 you get really excellent parts and I don't want to pay the premium for carbon. I appreciate the rec though, the evo looks dope

Hell yeah. I think you’ll love it for Colorado riding

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
You should be able to run them with tubes.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Santa Cruz will ask for a scan definitely. Not sure if that will have a name on it (depends on the merchant) other than the serial. Not sure if this would matter but id at least get a copy.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
When do we start heart rate chat

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
If you have interest in participating in Zwift races or other events, ZPower estimates may disqualify you from the final standings on Zwift Power. (This may not matter to you.)

mikemelbrooks posted:

Counter point if you are Zwifting on a dumb trainer a power meter makes absolute sense before a bike computer.

Does Zwift do power meter calibration? I've always had a computer and never used the app for that, so I'm not sure.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Sab0921 posted:

Re upping this to see if anyone has experience, feedback or advice for this type of bike

I’ve never ridden that bike in particular, but the front loaders are a popular type of cargo bike. More popular brands in the US are Urban Arrow, Larry/Harry Bullit, and Yuba. For that particular style, the brand I am more familiar with is something like this https://www.instagram.com/p/CGR0shwhq_Q/?igshid=1jt50v5n7hl3u

With the two wheels up front it may be different, but I’ve heard that riding them can take a little bit to get used to, they are heavy, and you’ll need space to store it.

Alternative designs for hauling kids and the like would be Tern GSD, Surly Big Dummy, etc. basically a long tail bike. These ride more like typical bicycles.

Cargo bikes especially with kids and groceries are one area where ebikes can make a huge difference. Might be something to think about.

I live in Colorado and see cargo bikes out a good bit, especially since the ebike versions have become more popular and cheaper. It’s been our family’s short list for a bit to buy a Tern and reduce most of our car usage entirely.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Sab0921 posted:

Is there a reason you went with the rear long tail design rather than a front loader?

Rides more like a normal bike, lighter, takes up less space. Accessories on Tern, Yuba, and Xtracycles (incl Big Dummy) is pretty great these days.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

dang

I was worried about this too, once I figured out that I could fold a piece of cardboard and stick it in the caliper when I took the wheel off it wasn't such a big deal

Just don’t pull the brake lever with the wheel out. I take wheels iff all the time and never put anything in the caliper

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Latex gloves over the front of your socks works extremely well for cheap/emergency toe warmers. I always carry a couple sets in winter for repairs/numb bits.

Always heard of using latex gloves as glove liners and grocery bags/ziploc bags over your feet.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Is there an easy way to identify which model of the Specialized power saddle I have?

My understanding is that it goes:

Comp
Expert
Pro
S-Works

Of those, the Comp is easy to identify because the rails are labeled cro-moly, and the S-Works is branded as such.

However, both the Pro and the Expert use Ti rails. The only way I can tell is to squeeze them and see if I can feel the difference in padding. The pro should be firmer.

I’m asking because I had bought a Comp and received an Expert or a Pro.

Could weigh it and see which model its closer to

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

highme posted:

Started my rebuild on this yesterday.

Found an almost flawless pair of Ultegra 6800 shifters for $75 so that decided the path of my build. I grabbed a matching long cage rear derailleur, 105 hydraulic brakes, Dura-Ace cabling, all the poo poo to convert to hydraulic, Cadence bar tape and some SKS fenders I’m probably gonna return and get PDWs.

Wanted a pair of Ultegra or GRX brakes, but there were none in Portland, I could only find rears. Same for the front derailleur. There was one shop in town that had a GRX front that would work, but they’re closed on Sunday’s apparently. So I’m gonna stick with the 105 that’s on there for now.

Chose the wrong weekend to do this since there’s not enough space in my garage to set up my stand. I had enough time to strip everything in the driveway yesterday before the big rains hit, and then had to relocate to my office and go with the old “seat and bars” work stand. Hope it dries up enough later so when I finally have it all together I can get the brakes bled etc.

Edit: Anything I need to watch out for setting up these brakes? I’ve never done anything with hydraulic brakes on a bike, so any advice would be appreciated.

Do those 6800 levers work with hydro brakes?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
You don’t need a MTB to ride those roads and a wider tire in mud isn’t usually the best.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Could use a frame bag, saddlebag, and bar bag and easily do some credit card touring.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Thanks, Stacey.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Eejit posted:

Hello everyone from whom I've attempted to order an MTB has told me to go gently caress myself

You’ve been looking for an aluminum Hightower right? There have been some come through the front range. Check the stock at Wheat Ridge Cyclery or University Bikes in Boulder. Both run updated websites and you might get lucky. Its how I found my Hightower back in August.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Sab0921 posted:

Suggested name changes:

Clipped Pedals --> Strapped pedals

Clipless pedals --> Clip-in pedals

Flat Pedals --> Regular pedals

Theyll always be flats to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
What is the point you're trying to make? Yes, you can wreck on clipless if you don't know what you're doing. Yes, you can wreck on flats if you don't know what you're doing. Sometimes you're going to eat poo poo no matter what pedal type you're on. Of course, learning the "proper" way to do things will help prevent issues down the road, but you can learn with either pedal type.