Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

EvilJoven posted:

The difference between me and a vagrant is when I'm drinking in a beer vendor parking lot on my bicycle at 10am I'm wearing a helmet and Lycra.

Hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

I had a nice 45 mile gravel ride today.

I saw:
Trail horses
Kids on balance bikes who said they liked my bike. I told them theirs were cool
Minnows in a stream
A rattlesnake, a very large garter snake
A road runner
Lizards
And Eyebeam

Man, sucks you have your perfect ride ruined at the end there.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Any 1/2 finger unpadded glove recs?
I have some Giros and the durability hasn't been amazing and the fabric rubs weird.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

e.pilot posted:

which giros?

It turns out they're Pearls and I don't pay attention.
https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/shop/unisex/gloves/road/pro_aero_glove/p/14341807

I've had grails, I really prefer no padding.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Vando posted:

Look, I'm not here to be a dick for the sake of it but it would be nice if we had something more than a wall of text in nonstop "summer camp activity leader" tone. Would it help if I threw together some expansions with pictures/video? I don't mind doing the work, I just think this is a bit of a missed opportunity for getting people into cycling with the new forum etc.

Although now that I think of it, maybe that could be a thread all of its own, sort of a beginners intro to cycling deal? Might head off some of the repeated questions that always crop up.
Be the change you want to see in the forums.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Steve French posted:

Yes but crankbros pedals are guaranteed to fail spectacularly. Which is why I keep riding my bike: to finally witness the spectacle I've been denied still after tens of thousands of miles on them

You want pedals that don't break? Time ATAC Aliums. I troll ebay for the in my spare time.
Apparently other people have noticed because decent condition ones were $30 all day.
Basically like all the spares except bearings (which are standard size) are NLA, but they basically don't break.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

former glory posted:

Have you guys ever tried replacing the hub or bearings on a rear wheel before? I've got a set of (now defunct) Williams wheels and I had the rear one off the other day and noticed it feels very rough when spinning between my hands. The front is smooth as butter. I'm not really sure where to start to tackle this job: are rear hubs custom to specific wheels, or generic? Can I just buy sealed bearings like I would for a skateboard or ? I'm thinking if it can be done in a way that doesn't require messing with spokes or requiring some advanced jig, I'll give it a shot.
Some hubs are loose ball bearings, others are sealed bearings.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

is there a way to remove decals from H+Son alloy rims, or any other well-regarded 36-spoke alloy rims? I like the ones which look like old Mavic CXPs but they're for an old bike and the decals on H+Son rims are completely inappropriate for a vintage bike (they look way too "fixie cool")

I think all Velocity rims have removable decals. You can email them and ask as well.
They'll also basically do requests, so if you have some time, they can make a rim without decals. They're making me a rim they sell in black only in polished, I'm sure the can help you with that.

The H+son decals look just like surface stickers.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

^^^^^^
I think an Andel crankset is cheaper than that if you don't have a really cool crankset.

FogHelmut posted:

Thinking about them triple cranks.

Going down to a 30 from my 34 on my double would probably lose me some of those nice middle gears. A 50-39-30 sounds good, but a 50-39-28 sounds even better. That would be a custom job probably and I don't know how that's going to screw with everything else that's connected to the chain.

What is your current drivetrain?

I run a 44/34/24 right now using standard 10-speed 105 triple stuff, including a GS RD and STIs. I run a 11-32 cassette. That's a 41T capacity and it almost certainly has more in it.
Shimano claims that a 5700GS or 6700GS can handle a 22 Tooth difference, so 50-28 is do-able and shimano is notoriously conservative. (They also claim my max cassette is 11-28 and capacity is 39).

If you have friction shifters, you can get even more range, I ran a 52-42-22 on my old touring bike, but I had an SGS MTB RD.

If you have a short cage RD (SS), you will need a new RD. You will need a new FD and new shifters unless you're in friction land. You'll probably want a new cage. You can't do 11-speed unless you want to do some weird bar-con thing or find some of the really weird XT 3-11 stuff I'm sure they sold 10 copies of.

FWIW, my ungodly expensive custom touring bike has Andel RSC6s, which are cheap as hell, come without rings (so you can customize them), and do a good job. You can even look for Surly LHT takeoffs cause that's what they came with for years. Any bike shop can get them from QBP as arms only. Their rings are mostly fine too and again, cheap. Its 110/76mm 5 bolt, so there is basically every ring size.

nm fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 29, 2020

nm
Jan 28, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

Its all Tiagra 4700. 50/34 up front, 10 speed 11-34 in back. Looking at the specs, I'll definitely need a new front shifter and new front derailleur. I can probably keep the rear - they claim that the 3 speed front is only good with the 11-32 rear, but many people have put a 11-36 rear on the 2 speed front with no issues.

gently caress it, I'll just take steroids.

EPO.

I'm pretty sure you can get away with a 22 tooth front difference and at least a 34. Assuming you have the GS, you have 41 teeth of stated capacity. I'd have no worries about 45.
Shimano claims a 20T on the FD, but I bet it can pull an extra 2 teeth. Small chain rings are cheap and because they don't need any ramping you can buy the cheapest poo poo to see if it works.
You want to set up the chain to be long enough to be find for big-big. You may get some issues at small-small, particularly if you run a 36, but simple solution is never run small-small.

I got the very slightest hits of issues on my 52-42-22 setup on small-small, though that could be b-screwed away with some sacrifice in RD precision. Easier to just never go small-small.

I don't know the indexing on front tiagra 10 speed, but if it works with 5700/6700 10 speed shimano fronts (it won't work with 10 speed shimano rear), a FD-6703 would make sure it works and they're cheap as hell on ebay.

nm fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 29, 2020

nm
Jan 28, 2008

^^^^^^^^
I just bought an IRD Lobo that does that. The OE rings are a bit in short supply, but it is a 110/74, so lots of non-IRD options.
Its a 24mm axle, so you can use all shimano BBs. It is a 73mm crank, so there may be some chainline issues.

I bet andel has a square taper option that's even cheaper.

Imagine living somewhere where it rains for more than 60 days a year.

nm fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 29, 2020

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I have no advice, but I'm shocked there's anything user serviceable in an R8000 STI.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

^^^^^^^
Reasonable chance they will cancel the sale due to shipping issues.

kimbo305 posted:

Does anyone live in Japan and would be willing to shop and ship a helmet for me?
One of these:
http://ysroad.co.jp/ueno-wearkan/2020/05/03/23368
https://www.cyclecube.com/?p=39504

Shipping from Japan is either hyper expensive these days or really slow. EMS Japan-US is not accepting packages (they will take letters). You either get surface mail (1-3mo) or UPS/Fedex wihcih will be $100+.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

e.pilot posted:

strava global heat map is a good start to see where everyone else is riding

Just do a double check sometimes with street view as sometimes you get hosed by roads they shutdown once a year and run a century or something on it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Heliosicle posted:

My Tickr heart rate chest strap is starting to act up, even after changing the batteries it's reporting the same heart rate for 4 or 5 minutes sometimes and never a rate below 120 bpm.

I'm looking at getting a Tickr fit to replace it, but seems like it could be awkward to wear with long sleeve jerseys. I know lots of people here have them and seem to like them, so maybe that's not such an issue?

The other complaint I read was about non-regulation tan lines :v:

I use a Rhythm+ which is similar. I wear it high up above the bicep (which is allowed for the Rhythm at least). I have always ridden with sunsleeves and have no issues.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

DeesGrandpa posted:

Idk being tall is pretty cool bike issues aside

It also sucks for cars and smacking into branches when riding.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I really wish those Ali Express jersey companies made american sized jerseys. I sure love XXXL jerseys that are an American medium.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

I've got some Racmmers, and as a 6' tall 160lb dude I'm a large. Perfect fit, seems about right.

Are these the aero fit, or regular?

6'4" and much, much larger. You don't break as much poo poo as I do at 160lbs.
Anyone got an idea how these fit against voler? Most of my jerseys are voler.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Your body and/or mind just doesn't want to get to Bakersfield. Who can blame it?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Thoughts on Wahoo v. Garmin v. any other speed/cadence sensors? Non-magnet ones.
Wahoo is quite a bit cheaper, but I've had two sets of garmins I'm happy with.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I broke 3 straps for the Garmin cadence mount. No issues with the wahoo one.

That has been an issue for me. I have just started zip tying.

TobinHatesYou posted:

I can lock up coaster brakes or a brakeless fixie. What's the advantage of rim brakes?

--

A short list of some real answers:

With rim brakes, your rim is a consumable.
Disc brakes provide better modulation.
Disc brakes perform the same in all conditions. (Don't use the same braking points with carbon rims and rim brakes in the rain.)
Rim brakes, steep descents and carbon clinchers is bad juju.
Rim brakes, steep descents, alloy rims and latex tubes is bad juju.
Disc brakes allow for wider tires without sacrificing brake design / leverage.
Disc brakes do not care if your wheel isn't true.
Disc brakes do not care if the edge of your rim is a bit chewed up.
Rim Brakes are prettier.
:colbert:

nm fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 9, 2020

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Levitate posted:

Rabies is absolutely horrible and if you start showing symptoms you are completely hosed and going to die a horrible painful death. Just because we have a preventative vaccine doesn’t make it less of a scary sci fi death disease

This. See a goddamn doctor.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Hybrids loving suck and can't do anything:
https://goo.gl/maps/NcjBfVEMmQ3XrDRx5

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

is there a good choice for tubes if the primary criterion is "valve stems which are extremely durable"

Valve stems or valve cores?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

That's loving weird. Are you using a lovely pump?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The cheapest way to see if it works is just get some 20mm pedal spacers.
Make sure you get the right ones if your pedal doesn't have flats.

I use them, but for knee pain. (I also use MTB pedals for everything, so limited adjustment)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

actionjackson posted:

that was another thought - they are size 13, but my sneakers are size 11.5, and my sneakers are actually a bit longer than these so :wtc:

the sizing was what the person at the LBS fit me for. I can try having the velcro straps at the bottom be even looser - the top strap I already have as loose I can with it still sticking.
Bigger shoes. They solved this issue for me, even though my shoes allegedly fit. You feet swell a bit. Try something a half size bigger.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

numberoneposter posted:

i havnt had a flat in 9,122.5 km on my road bike :smug:

RIP

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Don't wear socks then?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

numberoneposter posted:

no no no

DO wear socks in them

Gimmick socks are always allowed, if not encouraged with spd sandals.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Get the one with the best paint.

Normally this would be the All-City, but the 105 Vaya is loving purple this year so get that. If the dealer only has teal, get an space horse.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I think you can go in orange if you have no health issues but do it at recovery ride pace.
I would caution though right now these numbers are swinging wildly, and can easily go red or worse in an hour or two. Keep an eye out and be ready to head home (and stay close to home).

edit: Trust your body though. If things feel tougher than they should, don't power through.

nm fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 24, 2020

nm
Jan 28, 2008

e.pilot posted:

Yep, should have it back in a couple of weeks.

Gonna make it purple?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

e.pilot posted:

do other colors exist?

Pink.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

You guys, did you know brooks made a purple B17?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CopperHound posted:

Can't wait to get a big purple splotch on the rear end of my jeans.
LOL. My green brooks always turned my pants green.

So I'm buying it but only wearing bike shorts with it.

edit: Or purple pants.

nm fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 26, 2020

nm
Jan 28, 2008

I have a serfas front light, though much less powerful. It's fine?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

moctopus posted:

I'm Southeast and I'm sitting outside my fitter's business right now so I can throw some places if you want to travel. Otherwise my suggestion if you're spending major hours on the bike is to go in person. Preferably someone that is also a PT and that is active in the sport. The apps are fine until they're not.

I think slowtwitch keeps a directory of recommendations for fitters in each state. GR has a lot of riders so I bet there is a real nice place.

Slowtwitch isn't particularly accurate. They don't have the fitter I use, who is very popular locally.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

X13Fen posted:

It's totally reasonable to justify a new bike for motivation purposes, right?

Just wish I could actually afford one right now!

Got a reminder the other day my current bike turned five too. This has been a very slack year for me. Think I've only gone for a ride twice all year... (hence new bike = motivation)

This is what I'm doing. NBD is going to be early this week. Let you know how it goes in a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

anyone have any experience with pedal spacers? I’m still getting a little foot and knee pain with my SPD shoes and pedals and I’m thinking about giving them a shot.

Yes, I have 20mm pedal spacers on all my bikes. I use the bikefit ones. Yes, they're expensive, but they're also actually made of good materials. If your pedals don't have flats make sure you buy the ones with the allen wrench hole.
The annoying thing is they're basically all or nothing. If they're too wide, you'll need to switch to pedals with longer axles or a crank with a wider q-factors.