Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I’ve heard that disc breaks are pointless and steel is real please c/d?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
New thread so gonna repost from the very end of the last my test of recording a ride in Taiwan with a hilariously long selfie stick on my bike because I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAgxkXB32I0

Really like the scenery and angle, just gotta get a stick that doesn't wobble as much and make a proper video.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Very good and GTA. Could you put some sort of mass damper tuned to cancel out whatever frequency it likes to swing at?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I doubt it's possible to get a stick 3 meters long that doesn't wobble without also having guy ropes. If you get something stiffer that will probably make the problem worse, because the vibrations will be higher frequency.

I think that a stiffer stick would reduce things somewhat - the selfie stick I have is really thin and I feel like just a long wooden rod could be notably better.

I've got my camera mounted on a mini-gimbal so smaller higher frequency vibrations are probably okay I'm thinking, as long as it just doesn't wobble so much that it makes movement of myself in the foreground too obnoxiously large (especially like at 2:00 where it wobbles so much it literally takes me off screen).

Was also thinking of guy ropes as well - today I just strapped it to the back of my Brompton like so:

And was thinking a thicker solid stick of some kind (probably needs to be shorter too), and some guy ropes attached to the rear rack might reduce movement sufficiently. Brompton rear suspension means that the rear rack is moving a little relative the seatpost where I've got it mounted, but not thaaat much.

Going to hit up a hardware store somewhere tomorrow and see if they've got some wooden poles that might work.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

mystes posted:

The part at 2:00 is completely nauseating and I can't stop laughing.

hemale in pain posted:

feels like riding on the back of someone travelling on a pogo stick

Haha yeah it came off as even more violent movement than I expected, but you'll notice the gimbal actually does a pretty good job of keeping it reasonably steady. The mini-gimbals they have now are quite impressive.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
In Japan I would use my roadbike for commute because it’s nice and I could just leave it in my office or the office bike park off the road so wasn’t afraid of it being stolen.

Combo flat-SPD pedals were real nice for that. Never felt like an issue clipping in and out or whatever. At worst if I’m riding clipless in the city and have to stop for a light I accelerate a bit then stop for a moment to make sure I’m seated.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Busted out the fixie for the first time in a couple weeks or so after giving the chain some grease, only to realize once I got home that somehow the clamp for the rear brake cable had loosened and if I pulled the handle all the way the brake cable just slid right through. Good reminder to actually check brakes from time to time...

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Horrible weather today as a typhoon is on the way, but I tested a new camera mount on bike - a bit better. Next clear day I'm going to extend it more, with some stiffer guy ropes, and record proper audio because the gopro of course can't get poo poo for sound up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S4peVLz8NU

I think it will give some nice views of urban scenes, like around ~12:00. Taiwan is pretty good for night scenes since there's always enough neon lights to be fairly visible.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 1, 2020

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

quote:

I can’t even describe how good this bike looks in person

There's a reason for that

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Does anyone live in Japan and would be willing to shop and ship a helmet for me?
One of these:
http://ysroad.co.jp/ueno-wearkan/2020/05/03/23368
https://www.cyclecube.com/?p=39504

Amazon Japan has it - think you can make an account there and can probably work out?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Levitate posted:

to be honest I bet a lot of people don't measure themselves or go to the doctor where they measure your height very often (or do it with you wearing shoes) and at some point just assumed they're a certain height and that's what they say despite never measuring themselves

Most men don’t wear 6” shoes

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Continuing adventures of bichael videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Oe45KuEruo

Tried to go catch a view of the sunset from the local pier with my camera pole further extended - set out a little too late and was overcast a bit anyway so didn't get quite the footage I wanted, but camera works okay, and sound actually works very well since I was going slower on Brompton so no issues with wind noise and I tested giving commentary, which comes out quite clear. Def going to use some shots from here as b-roll.

Edit 2: you get to see my hit my camera with poo poo in this one as well haha

Still, wasn't happy I missed getting a decent sunset and didn't want to waste the effort rigging the pole (takes time and too long to take up the elevator to apartment) so I drank a bunch of beers to wait for nightfall and recorded a night ride and talked poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNjkZB33-2U

Edit: as an aside man giving commentary is surprisingly hard

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 17, 2020

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

ElMaligno posted:

Today i went on a short six mile ride on the road bike and I liked it... Except it murdered my shoulders and wrists.

i probably should relax a lil bit and not death grip the handlebar.

Is this your first ride or first ride in a long time? Some of it may just be that your body needs adapting. Don’t know if that’s your plan but don’t necessarily go and immediately drop a ton on money on a new bike after a ride or two when it might just be needing to adapt.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Ah my god I went out for a short ride forgetting that it rained the other day, I got completely dumped on, and it must have driven every last drop of lubrication out of my chain because holy shiiiiit it was the scratchiest sound ever and physically painful to hear

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Is the bike shortage over there really that crazy bad? Should I be buying up stock over here in Taiwan where it seems not so much of a problem and shipping that poo poo to desperate people.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

The taiwanese bike market looks fun, you've got a bunch of poo poo they don't sell over here like Aluminum TCRs.

Hell yeah, my roadbike is a 2019 TCR SLR 2 which the aluminum TCR with 105, which seems to be a screaming deal since it cost me I think 1100 USD equivalent when I bought it? 8kg 105 race bike for that price is pretty drat good.

Yep they’re 38,000 TWD = 1291 USD, but Giant stores knock off 10% the list price so they’re 1,162 even now and at the time the exchange rate was diff or the 2019 model was a bit cheaper. They own. Tubeless out the box too.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 21, 2020

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Tried to go do some climbing at a mountain right next to my city in Taiwan because it looked like there was a nice road all the way across it... of course there's a military base covering most of the mountain and that road goes right across it. Was thinking there were suspiciously few markings along the road on google maps...

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Busted out a 180km today and HOLY gently caress but constant headwind everywhere murdered me. Especially on the coast it was just constant winds at according to my app 12m/s, but whatever the case it was by far the strongest headwind I’ve ridden in and it was crazy how much it slowed me down.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

sweat poteto posted:

Power Arc Expert has nothing. "Designed in California" "155mm" "Body Geometry" and the S logo. Not even a model name, though it looks like the newer version does have the model printed on the side of the nose now.

Edit, new page killed:

Props. Point to point is easier than a loop - nice to have transport back. The last 20 mile or whatever grind back to the starting point is always the worst of a long ride.

Well I’m debating my transport back being my bike the day after tomorrow lol

This is day 2 of going across Taiwan up the west coast, but day 1 I set out too late and was also even further behind schedule due to constant headwind, so hopped a train for the last bit after riding 117km.

Dunno if I’ve got the fitness for another two days of almost 200km rides, but I’m also kinda tempted to see what it’s like to have that ridiculous wind at my back the whole time...

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Which direction did you go in?

Went North; live in the South and wanted to make my way up. I guess the wind pretty consistently blows from the north but it’s abnormally strong this week.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I know this is probably looked down upon by the cycling purists but I'm super enjoying my city's rental bike infrastructure nowadays. They're everywhere, well maintained, cheap (normal rate is 10 TWD/0.36 USD every 30min for the first 4 hours, but to encourage use they're subsidizing the first 10 TWD until March, so it's free for the first 30min), and super convenient. I now basically bike everywhere without even needing to lock up my bike or lug my Bromp.

The other day wife and I rode a renta-bike on our way home from seeing new years weekend festivities and busted out my iphone because we went right by a light show, and it was cool and good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvjXAwDqQSg

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
They sure are.

I just wish I could buy more of them and also ride more of them.

I also recently did a test run down Taroko Gorge, this huge beautiful gorge in Taiwan with a road right through it. I finally figured out that I could mount a windscreen to my gopro on my mini gimbal and the sound is actually quite good, so I brought my Brompton on a family trip, and was gonna go down the whole length of the gorge the next day, then father-in-law had a health scare and we had to rush to the hospital and I couldn't record a full run, which was a bummer in a number of ways.

Need to ride back up there with my road bike for a proper run.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

VideoGameVet posted:

I’ve used them in SF, Seattle, Toronto and LA.

That is, until I started traveling with my Brompton.

Speaking of travelling with Brompton, I've been doing that recently, but haven't put it to such good use until this last trip, and I took the Brompton through the gorge I mentioned in an earlier post.

Pretty happy with the quality here, and it's a real nice route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfWkw5BICDE

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

John Romero posted:

please dont get angry at me as i am very sensitive but is there a peloton thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3938033

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

serious gaylord posted:

My friends and I finished a 1000 mile in a month for charity challenge by doing the last 10 miles on rental bikes in full TT gear.

Rental bikes are great.

Hell yeah.

I was actually just looking at the rates for the local rental bikes and see that they allow for the possibility of taking bikes between cities and charge a flat rate for moving between... I may have to try taking one the 400km across the entire island of Taiwan just for kicks.