Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I'm gonna be needing some new tires on my road bike soon. I currently have the stock TurboPro in 26. which has been fine. What should I get?

It's a 2017 Specialized Roubaix, which Spec says can clear up to 33mm. I was thinking of doing something in the 28 range though. I don't plan on doing road tubeless.

Should I default to GP5ks?

I have to ride through lovely litter and garbage covered NYC to get anywhere good, so I think some durability would be nice.

Edit:

EvilJoven posted:

At least our shop isn't doing what some others are and stocking up their empty showrooms by cleaning out their suppliers of the only thing left; higher priced bikes in XS and XL frame sizes, which they'll be stuck with forever.

That's great news for me. I can never test ride any bike because XL is never carried anywhere.

PolishPandaBear fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

lovely roads where you need durability and you’re avoiding tubeless why? It’s like the best use case for it.

Mainly because I have the stock Axis Elite wheels which I don't think are officially TLC, although the tire does pop into a bead seat? So maybe it's possible?

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Ugh, NYC garbage trucks always manage to dump garbage juice in the bike lanes. I should order one of these kits.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

e.pilot posted:

I rode a boat today.

Also dumpstered a group ride that I caught up to, looked at my strava flybys and had a good laugh as I watched them try to pace me in vain after I passed them and they blow up half a mile later. :allears:

I hope you were wearing baggies and a t-shirt.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Steve French posted:

FWIW I still have yet to hear someone articulate why 1UP is worth the premium over, say, Kuat (which is itself pretty pricey). I've been perfectly happy with my Kuat, so consider those also. Anecdotally where I live (and I acknowledge this is not true everywhere), I see 1Up racks highly correlated with conspicuous consumption like luxury SUVs (range rovers, etc), and also with having lovely bikes (weirdly)

I read a lot of reviews about the Thule and Kuat racks where the plastic bits eventually got UV damage after a few years and would break. I didn't want to deal with that. I also like the modularity, that I can just have one tray if I wanted. The additional trays are easy to put on and take off.

The trays also fold down really nicely and can be stowed away in the super heavy duty boxes that they come in for storage.

In the end, the cost in the end isn't much different than the expensive Kuat. Sure I don't have the mobile works stand or other bits, but the all aluminum construction was worth it for me.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

FireTora posted:

Yeah, the thread is still in SA-Mart. The latest shop just ended like a week ago though.

I think the store minimum is pretty low, $200 if I remember correctly. Not too hard to hit if you're buying a full kit.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

e.pilot posted:

Hopefully my last ride messing with clip-ons on a road bike, going to be building up a TT bike v soonish.

Wow, that's bike actually looks really good with the aerobars.

I feel like clip-ons almost always looks like poo poo.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Guinness posted:

From replacing like 10 punctured tubes over the past several thousand miles. All the valves going in and out chewed up the tape around the hole.

I don't know exactly what it is since the rims came pre-taped, but that looks like a good guess. Is something like this the right type of green polyster tape you're talking about?

That looks right.

Also, really regret not getting in on the trash kit... drat it.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Head Bee Guy posted:

Any recommendations for a cheap (sub a hundred bucks) indoor trainer?

Also, looking to get a basic bike fit in NYC, preferably Brooklyn. I’m not trying to race or ride a hundred miles in a day, so the fitting doesn’t have to use 3D modeling and lasers and poo poo. Any goon-approved shops? Also looking for something pretty cheap.

e: lol missed trainer talk on the last page

I have a Travel Trac dumb fuild trainer that I got in 2015 and then hardly used. It's been collecting dust in my parents garage for the past 4 years.

I'm also in NYC. PM me if you're interested. I can throw in a wheel block too.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Busy Bee posted:

How do we know that it's the tube that needs to be replaced and not the tire? Or both even?

Tires have wear marks on them, much like car tires. They'll also develop a flat vs. round appearance where more of the rubber tread has been worn away along the middle. Even if you rode over a nail, the tire would likely be fine after you pulled the nail out of course and patched or replaced the tube. Unless it's worn down, dry rotted and cracked, or has a gash in it, the tire should be fine. Especially on a brand new bike that hasn't been ridden.

The tube could have a tiny hole or maybe the valve is leaking ever so slightly.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
:justpost:

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

oops, you're right, I meant the 5800, 6800 etc. generation. I think it's caused by the shifter mechanism having a super tight bend right at the end of the cable

I have 105 5800 on my bike and as ashamed as I am to say this, I'm still running the original cables from 2017. Maybe I should replace them, but I have no shifting issues.

Also, drat Good Dog. What crank is that? Looks like it was just the extractor bolt though.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Head Bee Guy posted:

Are there any good resources on advanced riding techniques? most of the clips i’ve seen on youtube are very entry level.

Like I’m wondering how exactly to position my bum and hips when flying down a hill

As mentioned before, heels down, hips a bit back if standing, and I definitely have my hands in the drops if on a road bike. It'll let you have a looser grip on the bars and keep your hands from being knocked of the hoods if you hit a bump.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Head Bee Guy posted:

was riding around downtown manhattan yesterday and came upon a quarter mile stretch of dirt, crumbling asphalt, and washboard bumps. the tires survived, but i think i may have caught the gravel bug.

riding like a horse jockey and catching air off the little jumps was too much fun.

Get over to Shirley Chisholm State Park.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...7!4d-73.8748443

The green trails in Cunningham Park in Queens are also doable on a gravel/CX bike and some of the blue too.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Hekk posted:

Thanks to everyone who tried to tell me to use some common sense and just pay to get my other bike shipped to me. I listened to your advice, and in true Goon fashion, completely ignored it.

I need to get some new spd pedals and shoes but the shop didn't have my size. So I will work on that later. The important thing is I now have a bike here in Minnesota.

Woah, you didn't mention it was rose gold.

:fap:

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Vando posted:

Just spent several evenings trying to get some latest model 'easy fit' tubeless tyres to fit on some new 'easy fit' rims (and lo! that part was indeed easy) and then just losing my poo poo at the bead not engaging no matter what combination of precharge bottles/soapy rims/other witchcraft I tried. As a last resort before taking them to a shop I tried again with some older model 'absolute bastard to fit go gently caress yourself' tyres I had spare from a couple of years ago and wouldn't you know it they popped on first try. Needed a bead jack to get them on the rim initially but way WAY easier than last time I tried them.

The moral of the story? Combine too many 'easy fit' components and you end up with 'just won't loving work' components. Those earlier tubeless tyres are bastards to get on the rim for a reason.

As annoying as is it to pretty much do twice the work, I've always had success with installing a tube first and then breaking one bead. This was even with a regular floor pump.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Break the bead on one side and remove the tube. Insert tubeless valve, reseat bead. Now you're only trying to get one bead seated instead of two. Once it's seated, remove the valve core and insert your goo of choice.

Yep.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Not usually a fan of lugged carbon, but that is really nice.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Head Bee Guy posted:

who makes cool cycling caps? Looking for anything that’s not cotton, preferably in black.

Can't go wrong with a classic.

https://www.amazon.com/Giordana-2016-Brooklyn-Team-Cycling/dp/B07BRHZNDL

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
That's true too.

Love this from my LBS:

https://shop.redbeardbikes.com/products/redbeard-doughnut-cap

And these socks:

https://shop.redbeardbikes.com/products/redbeard-aireator-sock

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

numberoneposter posted:

accidentally roasted my rear GP5KTL last night doing a sweet skid on gravel to look cool. tore a chunk of rubber out. still had at least half a season left on it. definitely NOT worth it. :(

Yeah, I've been on a wait list with my LBS for when they can get them back in stock.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I live in an apartment without access to a hose bib too, so I bought a 2 gallon chemical sprayer from Home Depot and use it without the extension tube.

Works pretty well for me.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

I put my bike in my shower and rinsed it off.

I don't know why I didn't think about this earlier.

I did this a few times, but bits of grease and wax got stuck to the tub and the tires left marks on the tile walls so my girlfriend yelled at me to never do it again.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Regarding 3M:

quote:

In the late 1990s, when testing blood samples for a health study, the company found pfoa even in the “clean” samples from various U.S. blood banks that it had planned to use as controls.

https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2007/05/teflon-forever/

I though this was a good read too:

https://theintercept.com/series/the-teflon-toxin/

I wanted to try hot dip waxing and I made sure to just use plain old paraffin wax without any additives.

PolishPandaBear fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 27, 2021

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Nice ride hope you don’t get giardia from the raccoon turds upstream

QFT.

loving Giardia ruined the second half of 2020 for me and all of 2021 so far. I was having my best year of riding and training regularly, despite COVID, and then I started having severe GI symptoms at the end of July. I went to a bunch of different doctors and no one figured it out until the end of February this year, so that's 7 months with an undiagnosed parasitic infection destroying my intestines.

I tested negative after a course of antibiotics, but my GI still isn't back to normal. I still don't feel comfortable doing long rides away from home and some days can't even hop on the trainer.

PSA: Don't drink untreated water. Or find good doctors.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

spf3million posted:

How are you supposed to say 4iiii? Is it "four eye eye eye eye" or "four eye"? Same question for 3ttt

I'm pretty sure it's "four eyes."

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

sunday brunch posted:

Need a braintrust thing:
I have a Route Werks bar bag https://routewerks.us/products/the-handlebar-bag and it is great. The only issue is the position of it on the bars directly conflicts with the front light I have (knog PWR600) as the light blocks the lid from opening and it would be a pain in the arse to keep removing the light to access the bag. I tried a Specialized Flux as the pictures made it look like i could angle it behind/above the bar but it still doesn't quite fit, although it is much easier to remove. Route Werks sell little bar things that screw into the sides so that could work and I have the Garmin mount for the middle but no one seems to make a light that fits that.
So basically, I need a solution that hopefully isn't a mess of adaptors/bodges or helmet lights. Thanks in advance.

Do you keep a GPS in the mount on the lid?

If not you could try one of these GoPro friction flange style adapters:

https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/knog-p...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

And a friction flange to Garmin quarter turn adapter:

https://mybikeshop.com/products/gar...UoaAgFxEALw_wcB .

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Not so much mechanical but more my wife and to some degree me don't care to ride when it's 48 F and rain is sheeting.

Rain coming down in
?

Riding around Pittsburgh on an old bike boom 10 speed with chrome plated steel rims was not the most fun in the rain.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Krogort posted:

Reminds me when I lived in Portsmouth UK. 360 wind and 10km of city trafic before reaching the countryside I do not miss that place for cycling. However the wind do keep the mosquitoes away!

Oh, the things I would do to only have 6 km separating me from empty country roads.

I guess moving is not one of them.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

MalleusDei posted:

I got used to wearing full fingers all the time. Feels good man.

Seems like $30 give or take is what I'm spending.

I've got some 100% full fingered gloves that I've been liking. Use 'em on road and MTB. The have no padding, but feel fine. They've also got conductive thread on the thumb and index finger so the work with touchscreens.

https://www.100percent.com/products/r-core-glove-black

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I have this front rack and love it.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/p...XBoC_XkQAvD_BwE

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

TobinHatesYou posted:

For $1100 you can get Light Bicycle wheels with DT240 hubs that are both wider profile AND lighter.

I was looking at this and thinking about DT Swiss hubs but they only offer them in straight pull. Is that still worth it? Or I was thinking of going with Hope RS4s because they offer colors.

Edit: Looking at wheels because I broke a spoke on a ride this weekend and also noticed this:

And noticed a few other small cracks emanating from some other spoke holes.

PolishPandaBear fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 7, 2021

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

bicievino posted:

Is that a Velocity rim?
It looks like one.

It was OEM wheel from my Spec Roubaix. The sticker says Axis.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I'm not too worried about weight. I'd prefer a stronger wheelset and am thinking of 28 hole too rather than 24.

kimbo305 posted:

I don't really see a problem -- are you concerned about sourcing replacement spokes?
Yeah, that's my concern with straight pull. I guess I could always just order extra spokes right off the bat to keep around.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Time posted:

I have been spending long bike rides dreaming of the next bike I’m going to build and what rides I’m going to do. This poo poo is endless

I'm going to LA for a week long work-cation and bringing my bike. My GF is laughing at me.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

bicievino posted:

Technically any left-sided road Hollowtech2 crank arm will work, regardless of generation or spec level.

But if you care enough about your performance to buy a power meter, you owe it to yourself to switch to 165mm cranks at the same time.

Longer cranks feel better to me. My knees start to feel uncomfortable if I don't extend them enough. I also can't stand using elliptical machines because I feel like the platforms don't move in a large enough path.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Head Bee Guy posted:

lol this is getting confusing

I haven’t noticed any noise. Are there any other parts I should inspect?

I know you said rear, but is your headset preloaded correctly? If you hold the top tube and the stem in separate hands and try to tweak them, is there any play?

TobinHatesYou posted:

Nothing is stopping you from getting the knee extension you prefer. It’s just a minor tweak in saddle position.

I guess I meant to say sometimes I feel like I need to bend my knee to a certain angle too, not just extend.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'm also off the bike for a while - was going down a slight hill, hit a pot hole which sent me into a ditch face first before flipping over. Despite a reasonably horrific list of injuries - broke my hand, broke my jaw, needed facial surgery, broke my back in 7 places - came out of it pretty well in that I didn't damage any joints, didn't lose any teeth and should make a full recovery in a couple of months. Also there appears to be no damage to the bike, barely even a scratch???

drat! Hope you heal up quick.

I love that no matter the severity of the injuries, everyone is most concerned about not losing teeth.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
I decided to not re-up my Prime membership because of this when it was up this month.

I've also been getting a pretty good discount at an LBS that's a sponsor of my cycling club, so I haven't been too reliant on Amazon for bike stuff anyway.

Speaking of LBSs, I'm moving to LA in September. Do any of you LA bike goons have any recommendations? I'll be living in West LA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

bicievino posted:

But realtalk if you never flat and only ride on the road, just do whatever, it doesn't matter that much.

Also gently caress you if you never flat, I'm jealous af of your pristine roads.

I've never flatted on a ride actually. And this was riding on lovely NYC roads. My only flats have from the tube failing at the stem which I've noticed the tire was flat when I went to pump it up before going on a ride.

Of course now that I've said this, I'm going to get a double flat on every one of my next few rides.