Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Does this seem ok for a beginning road bike https://www.academy.com/p/gira-mens-viaggio-700c-road-bike? I've never had one before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I was intentionally avoiding the bike shops for it because that's up into the 1k+ range. I don't think the place I got my marlin from even keeps road bikes in-store, they've got mtb, hybrids, and electric mtb.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Also I think the domane is the only road bike trek makes that's available in aluminum

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

It's not online I just wanted to link it to see if I should skip the 20 minute drive to academy.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Oh didn't see those before, looks like only the ALR 5 version is in the US though

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I was over there getting some tires for my old bike so I checked out that cheapo road bike. The frame seemed nice but everything on it felt like junk. The back rotor was flexing when I pulled on the brakes.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

marshalljim posted:

Why is it more acceptable to have big gearing gaps on mtbs compared to road bikes? Because you're out of the saddle more and therefore not worried about hitting and maintaining an ideal cadence?

If that's it, then why is that not an issue with gravel bikes? Isn't most of what people call "gravel" more similar to riding on paved roads than mountain biking on singletrack or modern, machine-made trails with features everywhere? Are some people just overdoing it with the 1x thing cuz it's cool and yaddayadda like with fixies?

I think there just isn't enough room back there to keep it smooth the whole way through. The fastest 5 gears on mine (11T, 13T, 15T, 17T, 19T) are the same size as a road cassette but after that the jumps get bigger because it has to reach 50T on the slow end.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I've never used one, whats bad about 10T?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I got owned by ice storm and then sick right after christmas so there hasn't been any riding the past 2 weeks

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Why did trek make the only colors for the domane al5 grey, the lower trims each got a least one decent color

Waiting until taxes are filed before I pick anything

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

hadji murad posted:

I’ve got a white Domane which looks nice but the paint chips start to stand out and it drives me crazy.

Yeah they have a nice off-white color on the al4 & a good red on the same

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I haven't used mechanical disc before, how is the hybrid thing different from entirely mechanical?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Was the sliding pin method used on cars considered too heavy for bikes? I've worked on car brakes before and there was only one piston, but the entire caliper was on pins that allowed it to center itself on the rotor.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I got a samsung watch a few years ago for fitness tracking and sync it with my phone occasionally. There's no subscription but it isn't tailored to cycling either

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Are the supply chains still hosed up or is it normal for a bunch of road bikes to be out of stock this time of year

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Maybe it was just this price range that was affected then, I was looking at aluminum frames that use claris, sora, tiagra, or 105

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

drat britland has all the stock, and some forbidden colors too? (no AL5's though)

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Got up too late to get to the bike shop for sizing :rip:
10am - 6pm weekday hours are just too close to office hours so won't have another chance until next saturday

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I rode a 54cm and 56cm domane for a few minutes, not really any closer to knowing which size to get. The guy at the shop was basically looking to see that it's not way too big or small. I don't know what issues to look for myself because I've never had this type of bike.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I'm right on the border between the two on both height and inseam

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

There are adapters to let a nicer bracket fit inside the one-piece shell but the cost of all those parts & tools is going to be more than the bike

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I don't see why there would be more than one standard for that type of crank, it would eat into their savings if they need tooling for multiple standards on those walmart bikes

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/shimano-tiagra-conventional-two-speed-saltwater-reel

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Dunno why these are so funny to me
https://fish.shimano.com/content/fish/northamerica/us/en/homepage/Shimano_Product_Page.P-ULTEGRA_17.html

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

What's this trekfest thing coming up? Do they discount any bikes

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Doesn't load

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

bicycle

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I've been riding in the oncoming lane for the past few years and I move when I see traffic in front, but that's on a mountain bike so I can just move off into the grass if needed.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

It seemed like any cue deraileur will work with any cue shifter&cassette, they're using the 11-speed cog spacing on all of them and the same amount of cable pull. So any deraileur could be a 11-speed unless they're going to artificially restrict the movement of it

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I waaaay underestimated how loud this would be

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I think I should wait until the shop opens tuesday to make sure they don't already have any of these on the way before I order

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

bike tetris day

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Yeah it has a sticker with all the shop's info there

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Lol just checked the pressure and I had been riding around on 25 - 30 psi in those 32mm tires. Pumped them up to 50 and 55 based on the sram pressure calculator

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I'm gonna leave it on

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I had the same problem with my mtb, I changed shoes because the soles flare outward

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Must not be the stock tires because the max for 32mm R1 hardcase lite is 70psi

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Are armadillios really soft tires? the highest I've used with 32mm was 50 - 55psi and the the wheel tried to bounce sideways when rolled into a seed gumball.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

You could also get an aluminum cross country bike with that budget, I was using a marlin for both trail and road before I got a road bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I picked up an insinct2 because the old samsung fitness watch isn't going to work with speed & cadence sensors. If I pick up a bike-mounted computer later then it should be able to send heartrate info