Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

numberoneposter posted:

i love solo riding too, but i def miss the big saturday world championship group rides.

Same. :smith: I miss doing a steady 35 km/h looking into someone's butt, barely breaking a sweat.

I had a really bad creak develop on my last ride. About 100km since I did a full drivetrain degrease, clean, re-tweaked the groupset and all that. It feels like it comes from the bottom bracket, under load, but everything I've read says the skewers are usually the first culprit, so I greased those mothers up and the mounting points. I hope that does it. This creaking sound is driving me nuts. :thunkgun:

e: quote

former glory fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 25, 2020

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Have you guys ever tried replacing the hub or bearings on a rear wheel before? I've got a set of (now defunct) Williams wheels and I had the rear one off the other day and noticed it feels very rough when spinning between my hands. The front is smooth as butter. I'm not really sure where to start to tackle this job: are rear hubs custom to specific wheels, or generic? Can I just buy sealed bearings like I would for a skateboard or ? I'm thinking if it can be done in a way that doesn't require messing with spokes or requiring some advanced jig, I'll give it a shot.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

BeastPussy posted:

If you can't see any markings telling you what the hub is, posting a picture of it might help in identifying it and figuring out if it uses sealed or loose bearings.

It looks to be this exact system here:

Last mention of it is about the time the company disappeared: https://bikerumor.com/2015/08/21/williams-introduces-new-system-38-carbon-clincher-to-compliment-their-58-and-85mm-wheelsets/

Pictured on the bike itself:

I've already got the tool that lets me take off the cassette, so I'm wondering if I need any non-standard tool or adapter specific to the hub. I haven't used the cassette tool in a while, but I think it was like a bolt adapter that let me take a wrench to it to pop it off.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

TobinHatesYou posted:

The cartridge bearings are going to be stuck in there with a tight interference fit. If you have a blind-hole bearing puller, that would be ideal. Otherwise you can improvise something to tap the bearings out very carefully.

As for pressing the bearings in, again you could probably improvise a bearing press, but having the correct drifts would be best...

Thanks for the info. I'm tempted to source the tools and try it myself but I'll try my two LBS's first to see if they can hopefully do it. I've been hesitant to bring it in because I've been quoted 2+ weeks in the shop just to get the drivetrain tuned up because of the COVID rush.

mikemelbrooks posted:

Did I post this yet? Notice the white hand tanned arm look.

That's a really great jersey. :rznv:

re: bike creaking a little while back: I greased up the skewers and contact points and it seems to have fixed it. At least after 80km, so I think that was it.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I had a nice long ride today in good weather. My area has a lot of road cycling traffic and cars are usually pretty good about leaving the full lane of space to pass cyclists given how common it is. But today, I got buzzed by 3 cars who tried to squeeze in the pass while oncoming traffic was coming up at a hill - one guy in a merc pretty much left me 6" going fast as hell. I worry that some day I'll just be killed by one of these impatient psychos. What's a way to fight back? I have a Go Pro and could just mount it to my stem and report, but I doubt the cops would give a poo poo... or would they?

I make it a habit of waving to drivers who pass safely and leave a lot of room. I know I shouldn't feel grateful at the fact that they decided not to harm me, but I believe some positive feedback has some value. :classiclol: Maybe some negative is in order.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Good point about discouraging passing in unsafe spots - thanks. I honestly have been out of the saddle for a couple of years and this summer has been my return, and I'm finding I'm suddenly a huge chickenshit about certain things that never used to bug me. I probably should hold my lane more in hills and blind turns, because I've been staying in the right side of the wheel groove, so about 1' from the shoulder and that just leaves enough room for some people to squeak by.

Another thing I've noticed is descents. I used to descend in the proper and correct way: with little to no regard for my personal safety. Now I'm trimming the brakes going into turns and just wasting all that speed and I'd say I descent at like 60% of my old speed. Hopefully this comes back. :smith:

hemale in pain posted:

Let people pass if you're on quiet one lane country roads. don't fight drivers or chase drivers or do any dumb poo poo like that. it's all too much hassle and they'll just think you're an insane twat.

Inevitably you'll probably get hit by a car at some point. I've been winged a few times and even if the driver hits and runs the police don't give a crap so just don't worry about it honestly and just ride bikes.

:yeah:

e: quote

former glory fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 2, 2020

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Coredump posted:

I physically recoiled reading this.

My strategy when this happened to me last time and the bee went down my jersey was to unzip it while at the bottom of a descent and then go over the handlebars, clipped in. Made the bee sting a negligible event.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

That looks like an amazing ride. I'd love to have 800'+ continuous around here- max 350 per hump in these parts.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Biking is pretty loving incredible. I look at a map of a ride and there's like 60ish km covered over the span of a few hours and it looks like so much area covered and just this big waste of energy but then I remember what it's like to sit in the saddle on all those roads and how it goes by in 5 minutes. A good ride sets my head straight for days.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I used to ride a lot more and race a few times a year on my current Madone 3 from about 2009 with a 105 groupset. I'm starting to get back into it and I'd like to get something new, but I haven't kept up on gear at all! I see now that disc brakes seem standard. I also really, really like the idea of an electronic groupset, since I live in a very hilly area. But it seems like there's a ton more variety to electronics now with Dura Di2 not being the only game in town.

Are there any stand-out bikes in the Ultegra kind of range that I could narrow my search down to? Something with an electronic set and climbing spec, not aero?

e:typo

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

jamal posted:

The new Cannondale Supersix Evo seems neat. I'll probably get one in the next year or so. Non himod Ultegra di2 build goes for 5500usd.

I was looking at one of those earlier today. They have the himod an a 105 di2 built out in the shop, but I'm going to see if there's an ultegra version available, unless the 105 di2 is something killer.

I'm tempted to try building one out, but I've never done hydraulics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I read some mindfulness stuff recently and solo rides seem an awful lot like meditation. Thoughts just come and go. I stopped riding for a long time to switch to running because of the time needed for the same burn, but coming back into it now feels pretty nice.