Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
What does it take to get a man to ride an imperial half century on a Sunday, on a hybrid road bike?

https://strava.app.link/OxSeu7aistb

A free cupcake and waterbottle

This route was the Tour de Crave a local cupcake shops summer riding event, visit all 4 store locations on a bike and be entered to win a draw for a gift card and receive a free cupcake and waterbottle.

First almost century ride I've ever done, and now I know why centuries are a neat biking accomplishment, around the 60km mark I definitely felt lagging in energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
I need some 3rd party perspective.

I ride my bike for errands going out and about from A to B. Every trip has a destination, typically a grocery store or a coffee shop.

I want to start riding more often and for longer distances but I feel a reluctance to do so.

I just need some motivation to do more than A to B trips and need a mind set change to be a bit more like the lycra clad cyclists on the roads, who I presume aren't just juanting off to the coffee shop or the store. Basically a mindset to go out cycling for fun beyond transportation.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Looking at getting a Specialized diverge e5 base for my first dropbar road/gravel bike. Convince me I shouldn't spend an extra $900 on the specialized diverge e5 elite, for the hydraulic brakes and grx gearset. Tell me I'm being ridiculous and that the claris gearset and mechanical brakes are good enough for me and that I'm just keeping up with the joneses going that extra step up.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp
Damnit :tizzy: $900 isn't a breakpoint for me I think. I'm pricing it out in CAD so it's between $1699 vs $2599 and my wifes employer has a health spending account that pays for "wellness" which covers bikes just it's the difference between free bike vs paying for some of it.

I have hydraulic brakes on my kona dew so I know they're nice but wasn't sure if it's worth it for a road/gravel bike, for that much more plus grx gears but how noticeable are nicer gears from the Claris?

Any other bikes I should be considering in that price range? In USD the diverge vs elite is $1300-2000

Chillyrabbit fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 18, 2024

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

If you plan on doing any off road, I'd really consider spending the extra $900 for the e5 elite, but see the last line I wrote. Per the Specialized website there is a $500 difference in price.

Claris is a perfectly good entry level ROAD group but it has a couple of things going against it when it come to gravel riding. First, it is only 8 speed, and the gearing is really not set up for gravel. You have a 50/34 crank paired with an 11/34 cassette for a 1:1 low gear. The e5 Elite will give you a 46/30 paired with an 11/36 giving you a sub 1:1 ratio. And second, Claris just does not hold up in rough abusive conditions. That is just my opinion based on what I have seen. All of the bouncing around on gravel just vibrates every bit of your bike, and that means wear. The crankset is also kind of a brick and soft.

The non Shimano parts are also not really suited for intense off road. The tektro cable brakes are fine for on the street of easy trails, but there is now way I would trust them on something even mildly steep and technical. The modulation you get out of a hydraulic system is an absolute requirement for me. And Sunrace is just plain garbage. The cogs are never straight and they are just too soft. Any bit of grit will chew them apart.

Both bikes have the same frame, fork, wheels and cockpit. So if you do decide to go with the e5 Base and the parts wear out quick, you can get a GRX 400 level group and upgrade it yourself, probably for less than the $900 difference in the price of the two bikes.
Also I forgot to mention the $900 difference is in CAD so replacing claris with GRX 400 costs as much if not more just due to parts availability and shipping costs.

Shadowhand00 posted:

Hydraulic brakes will feel better overall. Mechanical disc brakes are funky and require a bit more fidgety setup. Additionally lowest level of grx will be much nicer than Claris. I think I had the same argument with a friend looking at the same bikes and after riding around the diverge e5 elite after building it up for him it would be no contest.

Damnit I've been convinced, when I mention gravel I do want to be clear I mean like fire roads, or hard packed dirt/rocks like these routes and not like the side of the mountain or like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq72S36dJqw

I'll just have to shake the couch cushions a little bit and pay up for a bike instead of it being completely free.