Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
I'm planning to buy my first more expensive bike - ~5k or so, which means that I'll need to start caring about it not being stolen. Are there any particular locks which you'd recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

depends on where you're locking it up, how long, are you going to take it on every ride?

Thanks, I should have specified this when asking the question. I normally am planning to ride it in neighborhoods which are safe enough - and commuting to work, where I'd be able to lock it properly in a bike room.

I'm fully aware you can't really get an unbeatable lock, but what I'm aiming is to get something good enough to stop occasional thieves from snatching it, when I i.e. stop to get a coffee on the way to where I'm going. I live in a rather sparsely populated area and I'm not planning to take that bike to big cities.

Thanks for all the answers so far.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

wooger posted:

I would not spend 5k on a commuter bike what the Christ.
(...)
I wouldn’t even want the same tyres on a 5k performance bike that I’d want on a commuter.

Thanks for the tips. It's a gravel bike (Canyon Grizl) for rides on trails around where I live, with some random commute squeezed during the summer. Commute is ~20 miles, so we're talking about me doing it twice a year and calling it done :) I've got really good access to bike paths out of my neighborhood even (Rocky Mountain front range) and it feels like a waste of good paths not doing anything with that.

I'm planning to get a second set of tires tbh, but road riding isn't the main purpose of the bike. I just want to take care of it properly once I finally decide to do that.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.

kimbo305 posted:

Tires or wheels? Swapping tires is... pretty inconvenient.

I meant wheels! :doh: