Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Hutzpah posted:

I mostly road bike but have started biking on paths/gravel/grass with my 6-year-old son. Obviously, a road bike with clipless pedals isn't ideal for this, so I've been using my too-small mountain bike from when I was in middle school. I'd like to buy something a little more appropriate for this, and something that I can use for some of the local gravel/bike paths/cyclocross courses. What's a solid bike of this type that's sub $2000, ideally $1500 or less. Should I look for a cyclocross bike? A gravel bike? I'd like something with drop handle bars, a 1x groupset, and I'd toss some flat pedals on it.

If you're doing it with your 6-year-old, you might be in a position to decide that being able to go fast doesn't really matter, and you can focus on comfort with (front) suspension, bigger tires, a more upright riding position? I got a Giant Talon a few years ago and it generally served me well, but the handlebars are frankly too wide both for comfort and for fitting through gaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

If you're dropping 5k on a bike, it better be light enough that you can sling it over your shoulder and just carry it anywhere.