Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Arnold
Mar 9, 2024
I bought a Specialized Diverge last year as my first road/gravel cycling bike - I don't come from a biking background whatsoever but after running a marathon and wanted to put a tri of some sort in the calendar.

I took a shot and bought it in a size 58 based off of my height and it seems to be pretty comfortable, I didn't have any real aches or pains beyond just generally being not super familiar/adjusted with the riding position. Ended up going about 11 miles and felt good.

Today I installed the Rib Cage II I bought from Specialized but it seems pretty tight with the bottle inserted, I almost can't imagine pulling out the water bottle when riding.

Anyway, super fun being back on a bike. Going to try to go back out this weekend weather permitting (North of Boston)

I am hesitant to get clipless pedals at this point but I guess I should pretty much just do it if I even want to do a sprint tri? Any recommendations? I have seen there are some hybrid ones that are flat one side and have clipless thing on the other side. Any other suggestions?

Pepe Arnold fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Arnold
Mar 9, 2024

Hadlock posted:

When I was going on a 2+ hour ride the first thing I'd do was ride to 7-11 buy and chug a standard 8oz red bull. That was usually enough carbs to keep me going. I might have eaten a cliff bar 30 min before heading out too. Always had plenty of energy. This was back when I was only 150 lbs

Red Bull has gluten in addition to sucrose which I think is the only widely available gluten source I'm aware of

I'd always have a backup Gu thing of course, but can't beat red bull for the convenience factor

I don’t think Red Bull has gluten. They say it’s gluten free. I’ve never heard of any of the major energy/non energy drinks or supplements containing any gluten.