Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Been using toe clips for a while since the last time I tried clipless they hurt my knees. Got a new pair of clipless shoes and pedals (Giant Flux, Giant Trail Elite) and rode on Saturday and my knees hurt again. Did some reading about how to properly position the cleats for fatass goons like me (inside, forward) and adjusted them and I feel pretty good today after a 20 mile ride. I'll see if i feel good when I wake up.

We're looking at a 75 mile ride on Saturday as we stretch ourselves out to get a 100 mile day before the riding season ends so I hope I didn't gently caress myself by swapping to the clipless setup. It does help climb hills though and we've got a shitload of those around here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yeah that's entirely an adjustment issue. How long did the 20 mile ride take? If it was substantially over an hour then you're quite probably set up good enough if you didn't have any pain at the time or after.

1:22, my wife still uses toe clips so I borrowed her bike for a second and noticed that my toes splay outwards naturally. Pushed the cleats inwards and turned the tips in and it seemed to work. My knees are in good functioning condition today.

Should have gotten the SL cleats, they seem more adjustable, but we don't do a lot of road riding.

Apr 7, 2003

I think people place too much value on form and not enough on spontaneity.

My best bike days were when I just said "gently caress it" and rode 60 miles.

Apr 7, 2003

Sneeing Emu posted:

Bike buying advice time!

I'm a beginner, I've been riding on an old rear end Dawes road bike from who knows what decade, and I'm definitely in the market for a new one. This popped up on Nextdoor and it looks like a pretty good match for what I'm looking for.

2014 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105 Road Bike in great condition.
58 cm frame (large), disc brakes, 700 x 25 cc tires.
Equipped with Shimano SPD pedals - PD A530 (one side for cleats / the other side for street shoes) & a Forte Striker Gel Fit Saddle.
Includes K-Edge Sport Mount and Garmin Edge 520 bike computer.

She's asking $500 for it, which seems pretty reasonable according to the bike blue book site. She said she's selling it because her husband found one that's a better fit for him, he's 5'-11" and this one is just a tad too big for him. I'm 6'-1", so that's encouraging.

I'm going to go take a look at it tomorrow if another buyer doesn't decide to get it. What should I be looking for when I check it out? Is this is a good deal for my first real road bike?

Dumb question for people who keep track of Cannondale, has being owned by Pacific Cycle made them shittier?

Apr 7, 2003

I'm seriously curious, I see a lot of Cannondale stuff up for sale here but Pacific Cycle makes garbage for the most part.

My local shops are all Jamis or Giant though

Apr 7, 2003

Crumps Brother posted:

Trash miles?

Or trash miles?

Looks tasty. Both screenshots.

Apr 7, 2003

DeesGrandpa posted:

Rode my crummy road bike today, had a lot of fun though the fire was pretty close and my throat/lungs really felt like I got a lot of poo poo in em, despite the rain. I will also say, I've never ridden a super steep area before in poor weather on this thing, and I really noticed how much better the disc brakes on my other bikes actually are.

Also had flats on as I planned on a little hiking at the top, and hiking boots were legit not the worst bike shoes I've ever used. A+++ would ride a bike with skinny tires again.

That's a pretty nice bike, what is it?

Apr 7, 2003

anyone have any experience with pedal spacers? I’m still getting a little foot and knee pain with my SPD shoes and pedals and I’m thinking about giving them a shot.

Apr 7, 2003

nm posted:

Yes, I have 20mm pedal spacers on all my bikes. I use the bikefit ones. Yes, they're expensive, but they're also actually made of good materials. If your pedals don't have flats make sure you buy the ones with the allen wrench hole.
The annoying thing is they're basically all or nothing. If they're too wide, you'll need to switch to pedals with longer axles or a crank with a wider q-factors.

Those aren't too bad, I'm going to ride next week to make sure this weekend wasn't a fluke, if I still get knee pain I'll order them, thanks.

Apr 7, 2003

A wheel rim is basically a big disc, if you think about it.

Apr 7, 2003

My pleasure!

Apr 7, 2003

hemale in pain posted:

wait is that really a weird sarcastic article about how the simplicity of rim brakes is better than disc but also on a bike with dumbass internal cable routing?

The English are known for their excellent engineering, see also Lucas electrics and household hot water cisterns.

Apr 7, 2003

Sneeing Emu posted:

Went to a local shop today just to check out inventory, and they just happened to have a new Giant Contend AR3 that a guy had never ridden more than a block and just returned because it didn't fit him right, so I picked it up for $250 off the new price! It's so drat smooth compared to my beater! Excited to start getting into whatever this is.

I'm riding the '1' version of this (carbon post + fork, Shimano 105 R7000 groupset) and it's a fantastic bike for the price. Put over 1000 miles on it so far since June and it's been a blast to ride.

Apr 7, 2003

rope kid posted:

I crashed my dang road bike. I was cranking hard in an ascent and I realized I hadn't shifted onto my small chainring, so I did that :shepicide: , and the chain dropped, and then I swerved into a concrete drainage ditch curb.

Some nice road rash and a few open abrasions. The bike's fine other than two small scrapes on the drive side brake lever.

I bought a road bike after two years of riding a hybrid and immediately crashed it riding over tram rails

I didn't break my collarbone and it got me over my worries about riding on public roads

Apr 7, 2003

ElMaligno posted:

So im browsing to get a newer bicycle, so far i know i want:
1) a gravel/allroad bike
2) Aluminum
3) I been looking at Giant, Specialized, Canyon and Kona
4) Any US manufacturer i should know about?
5) No Trek please

Giant Contend AR 1

Any Giant Contend AR, really, but if you're buying one just get the 1 for the carbon fork + seatpost and the R7000 groupset

It just feels fast, more so than any other bike I've ever rode

The paint job sucks, other than that it's a solid bike.

At some point in time I'll find a better and faster bike to brag about here. It will not be anywhere near as good for the price point as the AR 1 has been for me this year.

Apr 7, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

still like my jamis renegade, almost had it two years!

My dealer does Giant + Jamis and tried to sell me a Renegade vs. my Contend AR

I like the Jamis bikes but the fact that they stick aluminum, steel, and fiber frames in the same product name range kinda turned me off as a new buyer.

Giant is pretty clear on what they offer, Contend is Aluminum, Defy is all fiber.

I appreciate that.

Apr 7, 2003

ElMaligno posted:

I like the Jamis one the most with Kona being a close second.

Also i lowkey want a bike that i can kinda climb hills with it so the Kona Rove LTD, Jamis Renegade C2 and Canyon Endurance AL 7.0 and Canyon AL Grail 7.0.

Giant Contend AR comes with a compact chainset

I climb a lot of hills, being in Pittsburgh, just saying

Apr 7, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Just did 335 miles in 36 hours, most on gravel and in the pouring rain. A lot of things hurt.

rip

Apr 7, 2003

Third ride with my clipless shoes and theyre causing pretty bad arch pain, starting to think they're not wide enough.

Apr 7, 2003

They've got Velcro adjustment straps and leave them relatively loose, no luck. Clipping out when I can coast helps. I barely managed fifty miles on relatively level ground.

I don't know if its something I need to adjust to or they're just poorly fitted. I'll ride on Wednesday with the toe clip pedals I used before but the new shoes, to see if the clipped in / out comfort difference lasts for an appreciable amount of time

Apr 7, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

What do you talk about in Yospos? Is it... bikes?

Your Old Schwinn is a Piece Of poo poo

Apr 7, 2003

That's extremely terrifying, to me.

Apr 7, 2003

My brother lives in Columbus (OH) and is looking for a starter bike. I don't know what the dealer situation is there but I absolutely do not want to recommend a flat bar fitness bike to him because he's young and fit enough to get started with a proper gravel or road bike. Anyone know the dealer network there that can suggest something?

Apr 7, 2003

My wife (Liv Avail AR 1) and me (Giant Contend AR 1) (identical bikes) (they're the same) (same stuff) are at about 1200 miles and the stock tires are busted and we should probably replace the chain and all that stuff

sooo

we like the bikes a lot but we're looking for upgrades

we like the 700 x 32 tire profile, we don't particularly feel like we need fatter tires

What's worth upgrading? If we wanted to upgrade wheel sets, what's worth upgrading to? Since we're replacing the tires, what should we throw on if we don't replace the wheels?

My wife likes toe clips and is going to stick with those, I'm going to keep trying to figure out if spd pedals + shoes are worth it to me. Other than that we've both got R7000 Shimano 105 groupsets that work for us.

Asking basically as entry-level riders, since we are at this price point.

Apr 7, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

How much are you looking to spend total?

"Married couple without kids and money to spend but not enough to buy a new car"

Does that count?

Let's say $4K over two bikes.

Maybe more if we do it slowly.

Apr 7, 2003

(Probably a lot more if I spend it carefully and slowly)

Apr 7, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

$2000 per bike will get you hand built wheels with any parts you want, literally any wheel set pretty much except some weird one someone will post right after this.

So first pick out some badass hubs. Onyx racing with transparent windows into the hub body for example.

Well poo poo, I guess we'll settle with some nice 700 x 32 tires. We seriously don't know what we're looking for as an upgrade and that's why I'm asking here.

Apr 7, 2003

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

If you feel you need upgrades after 1200 miles on those bikes, you probably are ready for a carbon frame, carbon wheels and an Ultegra drive drain. The bikes you have are good. The frame is solid, the wheels are nice and 105 is a legit group. If you upgrade, I can guarantee you will want to upgrade again at some point.

I'd try to sell the bikes whole, as is and go with this.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tcr-advanced-pro-team-disc

In the COVID market, you can probably get a good chunk of your money back on the AR 1's, and maybe strike a deal for buying 2 new bikes. Yes, this does bust your budget, but I don't think you will be happy with anything less. PULL THE BANDAID!!!!

TCRs are nice, they're also completely unavailable right now according to my LBS

I get what everyone has said here and should probably rescope to "what tires should I get in the 700 x 32 space because ours are about dead" though.

kimbo305 posted:

You could get a pretty nice used carbon deep wheelset for $1k. And if you just get one set, you could just fight over it.

Carbon is wasted on us I think. I want to get to 100 miles on aluminum + deece base gear and then I'll worry about carbon

Apr 7, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Yeah if you’re not upgrading to deep carbon wheels the wheels on your bike are likely fine unless you wanted to go tubeless or something.
We're already tubeless, the tires seem pretty lovely though. They're about spent too - Giant Fondo 2 according to the sidewalls.

Apr 7, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

That said, you don't need to put more than just new tires into the bikes you have.

Any suggestions for 700 x 32 - 35 tires? These ones are about dead anyway so recommendations don't hurt, we're all trail

Apr 7, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Tori, if your bikes work then upgrading them isn't going to do anything for you. If you think riding 1mph faster will make you happy then go for it but none of the upgrades matter. 105 is great, alu is great. Get some new tires and replace the chain if it's worn.

Got new chains coming, the tires are worn so I'll look at what was suggested here.

Got some new bar tape too.

Guess that'll do!

Apr 7, 2003

Ragtime All The Time posted:

My hams are too powerful

Apr 7, 2003

Been having problems with my SPD pedals + shoes so I put a set of flats on and rode with the shoes to see if it was the cleat position causing the problem. Found out that if I just leave the toe and mid-foot straps completely loose my feet stop hurting. Sure beats buying new shoes.

Apr 7, 2003

Chinatown posted:

Snagged a single speed on CL to bomb around in the city with. Really enjoying it and I'm in good enough shape where moderate hills aren't that much of an issue.

Lotta sickos riding steel these days.

Apr 7, 2003

Ordered some tubeless GravelKing slicks in 700x32. Super excited for them to get here.

Apr 7, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

I've never liked double tap. I hear if you start on one it kinda polarizes you against the other.

Went to get lunch and it was so nice out I asked my boss if I could duck out for a bit, go for a ride, and make up the time in the evening. Ended up getting in almost 40km, getting a PR and third overall on a stretch of single track. It was so pretty out in the forest. I love fall riding.

There are a lot of rail trails here and the Panhandle Trail that runs into West Virginia is particularly pretty this time of year.

Apr 7, 2003

My bar tape sucked so I got some new tape to put on. Can't wait to gently caress it up.

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZhoDYfVQDs

This guy hit one of the tram rails on a previous ride down this road and ended up in the hospital, I won't touch that hill.

Apr 7, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Self quoting for an important PSA. Never skip rides. Just stopped for a radler and a smokey in the middle of my little day trip and it is downright gorgeous. There's no way in hell its only 12c and the sun is so bright and warm.

Good day for bikes.

I've found that if I eat breakfast my rides suck.

Don't skip rides. Just skip breakfast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Can someone post a good video about wrapping bar tape that they trust? I've seen the Park Tool one but I'd like to see if other ones exist. The reels of bar tape I got from Supercaz look, to me, too short to do the job.