Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I've been eating a lot of pb banana clif bars, apple pie and lemon bar lara bars, salted watermelon shot blocks, and haribo lately.

Gonna have to do like 10k feet tomorrow to keep pace in this climbing challenge thing. Down to 3rd place now.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Your saddle position and angle could also be causing problems. if it's too forward or angled down you wind up supporting more weight on your hands. A little downward saddle angle can be beneficial to comfort but if you're sliding off it and have to hold yourself in place with your hands that's a problem. So make sure that's not happening, and possibly try sliding it just slightly back (and also you have to go down a bit to compensate for the extra distance to the cranks.

Brake and shift lever position could be contributing as well. They rotate up and down and move in and out just by loosening up the clamp bolt. You don't want to have to twist your wrists up or down to use the brakes and depending on the model you might want to move them in so only your index fingers pull the end of the lever. They tend to wind up way too far out/against the grips on a lot of bikes for some reason.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 31, 2020

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Probably, but there are some 1.25" steerers out there.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I also ride farther out when it's not safe to pass to discourage passing. If there's no shoulder and you're like, right on the white line, cars are going to try to go by. If you're out in the lane a bit like on the tire groove or a little more, they have to cross the yellow to get by and at that point might realize they should just go all the way over and give you space.

But also I won't be surprised if some dipshit hits/kills me while i'm riding a bike.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Kona rove LTD?

https://konaworld.com/rove_ltd.cfm

The Carbon libre and next year's aluminum libre are also sort of/almost available.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Decided to get a little bit out of town and go on a road ride yesterday. For this movemt challenge thing I'm signed up for both distance and elevation. The biggest paved climbs in town are only about 800ft so I've been doing most of it on dirt with either the cx or mtb but a good paved climb would be a better use of my time. Plus I needed a big mileage day so I went out to Wallace, ID to do an out and back to Thompson Falls, which involves going over two passes.

Was happy to see almost 1500 feet to the top of dobson pass in the first 30min

Then it was over to Thompson pass and back into mt

Which at this point had me at something like 35mi and 4000ft

Down to Thompson falls

A few snacks and a water refill

57 something miles at the turnaround, then back up

Down the other side. Coeur D'Alene river

Back up dobson to go over those mountains

https://www.strava.com/activities/3880444113

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 8, 2020

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Trying to figure out what to do with my next 4 days. This movemt challenge thing is still going, and even though I've "finished," there's a team competition for the most vert plus the individual things to see who's going to ride the farthest and most elevation. Today I appear to have moved back into 2nd in the climbing one and have been going back and forth for the lead in distance. I'm starting to wish for the end, which isn't until sept 4th.

Have had a few fairly lovely days recently. One where it was really hot and I was doing hill repeats on this steep rear end dirt road up a mountain at the ski hill. I just quit that ride early and went to a brewery. Got out for an evening ride once it cooled down and hit my climbing goal for that day. Then I had a pretty hard crash on the mtb when i clipped a tree with my hand. Hand is mostly better now, helmet broke but head is fine. Tweaked my back somehow Monday night and that's been bugging me a bit. Tuesday I could barely bend over to get my shoes on and sitting on a bike and pedaling was a little unpleasant. kept it light. easy pedaling, only 2500ft of climbing. Heat pad, ibuprofin, and some stretching the last day or two and I'm feeling most better. Wednesday I got off work early and went out on my brand new mtb only to have the rear brake stop working. Thankfully that got fixed right away and I was able to get back out there, but it made for a few days where I was frustrated and just wanted to stop riding. In addition to all that I'm just pretty tired and sore all the time. Barely keeping saddle sores at bay but thankfully I got like 4 new pairs of bib shorts this year and have my bike fits and saddles pretty well figured out. Stuff my face constantly and have lost almost 10lbs. Doing my best to avoid ever pedaling too hard.

My riding stats since this thing started are getting pretty silly. Pretty much double my normal riding and I normally ride kind of a lot. General goal every week is close to 400mi, over 40k feet of climbing. Last week was 431mi, 34hrs, 46500ft. On days I work I basically just go do hill repeats until dark. Or after dark. Then go home, eat, shower, try to get as much sleep as possible for doing it again. Shorter days are only going to make this harder and I think it's just going to be road bike up the same couple of streets on one end of town where I can climb like 800ft and come back down in under 20min. I did this monday and it was good for 5300ft. Prob going to have to do that same ride 3-4 days in a row next week.

On the plus side, I haven't blown up yet and think I can manage this for a couple more weeks. There is some prize money on the line in the team competition so I need to keep it going for that, and then mostly to just see it through since I've come this far. Haven't taken any days off (that 2500ft day was the closest) and don't plan on it until this is done.

Here's a picture from tonight

Just did two 7k days in a row and need to do a couple more so I kept it fairly casual. Gravel loop plus a few paved climbs for 4k. Wanted to stop for ice cream but it was getting late.

and what else I've been up to

https://www.strava.com/athletes/157724

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 15, 2020

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Today I got a puncture in my tubeless gravel tire, not sure what i hit, i was climbing up a dirt road at slow speed and suddenly huge hole. Stuck a plug in, pumped it back up, and was good to keep riding. That's like the 3rd time I've successfully plugged a tire in the last couple months. Also had a puncture seal itself after just rotating the tire so the hole was facing down. Have not had to stick a tube in a tubeless tire on a ride in awhile now. So I probably will within the next week.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The way it naturally hangs makes it easier to just catch the front of the cleat into the pedal and then push down.

My best tip for clipping in is to make your first pedal stroke, and then pause with the pedal up, and get your cleat on it properly the first time. Don't keep trying to pedal not clipped in.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Cannondale is part of cycling sports group, owned by dorel. Pacific cycle is also owned by dorel. It doesn't appear pacific cycle has anything to do with cannondale other than sharing a parent company?

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 29, 2020

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

GP5k, some other nice bigger tubeless tire, or a light gravel tire depending on how much non pavement you're riding. Gravel king slicks come in 35 and 38 for example. Vittoria has a terreno zero near slick in 35 and 38 that seems neat.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Sep 8, 2020

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Our climbing and distance challenge thing is over. For once I didn't go do hill repeats after work until after dark and just rode home, ate, and sat on the couch. Kind of weird. And even on the way home, now that it's over, I was wondering how I managed to keep going and stay motivated and ride every day for over two months without injuring myself or getting sick or hit by a car or eaten by bears.

I'm pretty sure July 4th to Sept 7th is 66 days, and in that time I rode 3594 miles and climbed 391674 feet. That works out to a daily average of 54.5 mi and 5934 ft. Usually I feel like 200-250 mi, 18k feet or so, and 14 hours is a solid week. Biggest one during this thing was last week, 464.8 mi, 35 hr 7 min, 50441 ft and most of them were around 30 hours and over 40k feet.

My longest ride was this one last friday. 126 mi. My goal for the day was to ride 100mi and 10k feet and that's how far it took to get all the elevation. I wanted to go get a burger at the good burger place in town but instead was riding up my street in the dark multiple times to make the garmin say the number. I did get a quick slice of pizza at least.

My 2nd longest ride, 114mi and 9k feet, was a lot more fun and one of the best rides of this thing: https://www.strava.com/activities/3880444113

Total I had 3 centuries plus a 97mi day on the hardtail mtb.

My biggest climbing day was Sunday, yeah two days after that 126 mi 10k day. Because I also wanted to do a 15k foot day before this thing was over and in my mind the best way to do that was 10 1500ft laps up my nearest trail that I ride all the time anyway.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4023541684

Fastest lap was #9 and all were pretty consistently in that ballpark. The thought of a mtb everest attempt there has crossed my mind but I probably don't want to do that ever. Only started to get a little sore in the arms and back and hands on the last 1-2 so I could have kept going if I'd brought more water and snacks and had more daylight.

In total I had 7 days with over 10k feet of climbing. My general climbing goals were 7k on a day off, 4-5k on a day I worked, and a 10k day every week. Didn't quite get there. Appears I had 11 more days over 7k feet and 20 rides between 5-7k feet. Only two days with less than 2k feet. Not very many under 4k either but I did 2 rides a day and commutes and I don't feel like going through and counting all those right now.

I should probably go through my pictures and post some along with my favorite rides. Although my recent posts here and in the gravel and mtb threads should cover most of the good ones. There were quite a few days of just riding up the same couple of streets over and over or laps up some dirt road.

Overall I had fun and generally enjoyed all the riding. Even the hill repeats until dark. It appears I rode the farthest of anyone, but just barely. the guy who had the most vert (beat me by like 43k feet), was only 75mi behind me and last night i was ready to go back out there in the dark just in case i needed a few more miles.

Here's the thing again
https://www.movemt.com/

Apparently we raised a couple grand for the food bank and our shop team won the climbing challenge so we get some money for that, plus a t-shirt so basically I broke even. Minus all the money spent on food and bike parts. I probably ate like 100 katarina nash edition peanut butter banana clif bars. And a lot of pizza slices. Prob should have ordered one of those eat trash jerseys.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 9, 2020

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah. GRX has a 400, 600, and 800 level plus a di2 version.

With a 2x drivetrain, the difference is negligible. The derailleur does have a clutch, but capacity is the same and will only handle an 11-34 cassette. Which is plenty of range with the new 30 or 31t little rings.

The benefit to grx is mostly with 1x as it has that clutch and the 1x specific RD will work on an 11-42 cassette.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

It's the cheap stuff that you can't get.

I was looking at shimano's b2b today and 105 for the most part is all out of stock. There's more ultegra and dura-ace stuff (we have almost all of a complete ultegra group for a guy, think just waiting on brakes).

I've been tempted to swap some parts on the new mtb and can get enough xt and xtr parts for a working drivetrain and new brakes. But you want like, slx or deore or basic 7-9 speed derailleurs, not gonna happen any time soon.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

A rim brake supersix with hed jet 6s you say?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

If you want to play that game i can post my july and august stats.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

spf3million posted:

Make sure you tag that nsfw

This is how i spent my labor day weekend

made for a 465mi, 50k foot week. I was close to that like 9 weeks in a row but I doubt I could do it for a whole year.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 24, 2020

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

bicievino posted:

What do you carry for flats?

When I ride tubs I keep spare wheels and/or a 2nd bike in the pits.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I have the blue cleats because they came with my new pedals and am liking them. You do need to spend a little more time getting the angles figured out. I've stopped on rides and made slight adjustments. Other nice thing is they have little lines to help you get them in position and in the same spot on both shoes. I don't have both cleats in the same spot or at the same angle on both shoes but it's nice to start there at least.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 16, 2020

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I've been gathering some new cold weather stuff, and it snowed today, so just in time.

Firstly Shimano MW7 goretex shoes. These are replacing a pair of old 45nrth fasterkatts I got for free that were a size too big and annoyingly heavy and bulky. The mw7s still run a little big, and aren't light or racey, but they seem better and are warm and dry. The only issue seems to be keeping water from getting in the tops because once it's in there it stays there. I was out on a rainy day and could feel it coming in through my socks. As a tall, skinny person, my leg warmers won't reach down far enough to cover the tops and stay over them which could help a bit. Maybe with the bibs I have coming I can figure something better out.

I have some thermal bib knickers, but the lack of full coverage kind of limits their usefulness. So usually I would just wear either leg warmers or a pair of tights overtop of bibs. But the waistband on the tights is a little annoying and they tend to slide down because I have no rear end or hips to hold anything up. So finally I have some full bib tights coming, the pearl izumi amfib ones. Should get here tomorrow and I might venture out to our mtb group ride but the weather is not great. Will be a good test for the new shoes too though.

Also got the pro insulated jacket while I was ordering the bibs. I have a number of jackets that work ok but the salomon jacket I wear when it's really cold is just a little heavier and flappier than I'd like. I have an outdoor research ascensionist (?) that is pretty great and slim fitting but having a hood isn't really useful and the fabric isn't super durable or water resistant.

I have three long sleeve jerseys plus a few base layers and then just some long sleeve hiking/running/skiing type shirts that I'll wear in various layers up top depending on the temps. Base layer + thermal jersey + jacket works for temps in the low 20s and if I really want to get out when it's colder than that I can put a light puffy on instead of the jacket but at that point the hands and feet are the bigger issue.

I could still use a more water resistant jacket that is slimmer fitting. My OR helium 2 is light and packable but doesn't breath and is baggier than I'd like for riding. It still gets shoved in my MTB pack or the half frame bag on my cx bike if I think it might actually rain while I'm out. Otherwise my light castelli jacket has a little bit of water resistance. Something with that gore shakedry is appealing, but expensive. Probably will worry about that in the spring and try to avoid spending any more money on bike stuff this year.

Have two new pairs of gloves I like too. PI amfib lites, which are just a lightly insulated softshell on the back and an un-insulated, un-padded palm. So they feel like regular gloves but keep your hands a little warmer. This is my 3rd pair of these and they're great down to like 35-40 degrees.

For colder days, I had some PI elite softshells, but they are starting to come apart plus I never liked the gel padding on the palm. It's too much with an already insulated glove and just adds way too much bulk and to me makes them less comfortable. I can feel all the little gel pads and they make annoying pressure points. To replace them I got some Poc thermal gloves. They seem pretty nice, but run small. I can wear a large in PI gloves and got these in XL, and they're a little tighter than I'd like. The fingers are the right length though, and maybe they'll stretch/pack out a bit. Have only worn them once, at the end of our mtb ride last week. The light PIs weren't cutting it in 30 degree weather and these kept my hands toasty until I got home. Considering some huge lobster gloves as well but I think at that point I'd be better off with pogies or just staying inside.

jamal fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 22, 2020

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Went out in my new stuff tonight and it all worked pretty well.

I was wearing:

my new bib tights
castelli long sleeve jersey which is light and has thinner fabric on the arms and sides
the new PI insulated jacket. This has polartec alpha insulation which is kind of a light, fuzzy interior
medium weight icebreaker socks
merino buff
windstopper cap
shimano mw7s
poc thermal gloves
baggy shorts for splash protection and pockets. There was some mud and water out there.

Did not need the light puffy I had in my half frame bag but could have been dressed just a tiny but warmer as it was about 21f for the main part of the ride. My other l/s jersey which is warmer, or a base layer under everything, or the light rei running jacket I have on top would have done it, but for the most part I was fine. It's like 20 degrees out, you're going to get a little cold. My fingers were the only thing i ever wished was warmer. They were fine until one of us (4 people showed up tonight) had a mechanical issue and I stopped to help get the chain back on. Didn't warm back up until I was almost home and I had to pedal pretty hard to do that. But, again, hard to keep your hands warm when it's that cold and you don't have bar mitts. Side note- carbon bars help, and around this time every year I look up how much carbon brake lever blades cost. I notice a difference in finger warmth between my cx bike's al levers and the carbon ones on the road bike. Feet were good though, going to say these mw7s are warmer than my fasterkatts, and fit better and feel less bulky (although they're still a pretty big shoe).

Also rode my hardtail, man does it feel strange to be on an older geo bike with a tall seatpost coming from the new hei hei. I've only ridden it like 3 times since early august. You just feel so high up and awkward. How the gently caress did I race this bike for so many years?

jamal fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 23, 2020

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I just got a kickr core, and while yes they cost a lot, I am really liking it so far. Zwift is going to be a good way to stay busy over the winter and we're doing a local race league in place of what would normally be cyclocross so I get to "ride" with a bunch of friends I've barely seen all year. I think I had a huge grin on my face the whole time even when we were going up the climb the other day and the group was getting blown to bits. Also great having some power numbers to look at since I still haven't bought a PM for my road bike. And yes I know I was lucky to even find one at this point.

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 31, 2020

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

If you are only using it to ride, a gps bike computer of some sort is the way to go. I like having all that info in front of me, in addition to time/speed/distance it's nice to know elevation climbed, temperature, and sunset, especially with shorter days. I think garmin's most basic one currently is the edge 130.

For doing more than riding, like if you're walking/hiking/running on a regular basis, maybe doing some xc skiing in the winter, etc, a watch could be a better idea. I got a forerunner 35 last winter for like $100 and it will track an activity and record heartrate (although the accuracy of the hrm is not great). It does all day hr tracking and counts steps and stuff but I haven't even bothered wearing it lately, because I've only been riding.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I don't get it, you want casual looking warm clothes for riding inside or...?

50f riding on a trainer I'm just wearing bib shorts with a fan or two blowing on me.

50f riding outside, I'm in knee warmers and a long sleeve jersey with some light gloves. Or maybe I'm wearing my mtb pants and a long sleeve shirt.

For more casual looking clothes, something like a pair of hiking pants that fits reasonably slim and an ankle band to keep your pants out of the chainrings, and whatever shirt/jacket you need to stay warm enough.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Do you have any bike shorts with a chamois (the padding?). You don't need them to ride a bike but they really help especially on longer rides or if you're sitting on a trainer. And bibs are way better than regular shorts as they don't have a waistband and can't slide down. Also, there's no reason you can't wear regular clothes or baggy shorts over top. I even have a pair of lighter and thinner liner bibs specifically for that.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I don't think I'd bother, you can do a reasonably decent job just by picking some hills of varying lengths and doing multiple trips up them. Like, say, go up a hill that takes 4-5 minutes to climb 4-5 times. Find another spot where you can do a 20 min continuous effort, do that one like twice in a row. Add a workout like that once or twice a week (but not more), and you should see some good improvement.

That said, I am looking forward to having power on my trainer and in zwift this winter as I'll be able to do a better job at specific workouts. I've also been meaning to get one for my road bike, will probably just go with a stages crank arm PM because it's cheap and easy.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

With hydro brakes there's a chance you push a piston past the seal. If you go to your bike shop they'll give you a little plastic spacer meant for your caliper. My new bike even came with one.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 26, 2020

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'm really happy with my full bib tights (Pearl Izumi amfib). The only issue is having to do laundry to ride every day when it's cold but I probably don't really need two pairs of them. Also you wear enough poo poo on one ride in the winter so there's plenty to put in the washing machine.

The other thing I'm really liking are the new winter shoes. Been out on rides in the 20s and the feet stay comfy. Only downside, I'm tall, and can feel the cold air on my ankles.

My poc thermal gloves are nice but they're probably overpriced at retail. I was worried they were too tight at first but after wearing them a few times they fit perfectly now. Good dexterity, warm enough for low 30s. I expect I'll eventually wear a hole on the edge of my right index finger, that's where all my gloves fail and I wish mfgs would put a little reinforcement strip there where you're rubbing the edge of the brake/shift lever. Maybe I should do that myself with aquaseal or something. They don't quite cut it on really cold days but I feel like you just need bar ends at that point. Something like those big lobster gloves would be nice but am unsure on how that's going to work on the mtb where I want my middle finger around the bars.

The pearl izumi pro insulated jacket is light and warm, but missing a few features that would make it better. it's a little boxy and shapeless for a "pro" level piece, and also doesn't have wrist closures so they just kind of hang open and funnel cold air up your sleeves. The front pockets are also useless for riding and have tiny zipper pulls that you can't really open with gloves. There is a rear pocket that holds a phone pretty well at least. I wish I'd noticed that poc thermal jacket or the giro one. I get a pretty solid deal on both and they both seem to be cut a little better for riding a bike and the giro has neat wrist sleeve things and better pockets.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 28, 2020

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah just tights over top is pretty good way to go, I did that for a long time before finally getting the bibs. I have a pair of garneau tights that have some windstopper type material over the knees and a raised waist in the back which are pretty good, and I think they were like $45 on a sale rack. Bib tights with a chamois is better though.

I was complaining about my new fancy *cycling specific* jacket, but something like a slimmer fitting softshell works just fine. Previously my go-to in colder weather was a salmon jacket made for xc skiing and running.

jamal fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 28, 2020

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The cannondale integrated bars are two piece still- there's a stem and the bars bolt to it, so you can change just those if the stem is right.

LBS owner has a new one (the ultegra di2 himod) and we're the same size and I have his old supersix and have been meaning to try it out for awhile. It'd be a pretty good comparison as the wheels and tires and groups between his bike and mine are really similar. Anyway it seems nice but yeah, expensive. Cannondale thinks their wheels and cranks are worth a lot of money.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I still ride my road bike more than anything else, and don't ever see myself not having an actual "road" bike. I did go a season with road tires on my cx bike, and while it worked, it was definitely not the same. One of the highlights of my year was a road ride out on the mt/id border:

Any other bike would have just made it take longer, and I was already out there close to 7 hours.

So I guess what I'm saying is get a road bike if you want one. They're light and fast. I also highly recommend fancy tires and wheels that make cool wooshing noises.

jamal fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 29, 2020

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Pretty good one.

Zwift helped at the end, without it I think I'm at more like 8800. But also if I'd had miles counting for trainer time last jan-feb I'd have more.

Uh, 2021... Hopefully race again, get some more new bikes. train smarter instead of just riding a lot. Maybe try for a million feet?

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 1, 2021

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's thermal expansion, not boiling. If there was a lot of room for the brake fluid to expand then the brakes wouldn't work.

Please show your work.

I suspect the brake fluid gets hotter and sees higher pressure when you're riding and using the brakes than it would sitting in a hot shipping container. I also suspect a lot of bikes get shipped in containers with assembled and bled brakes.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 8, 2021

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I have two pairs of Shimanos (RC901 and RX8), and two pairs of sidis (genius and dominator). I would say the shimanos are narrower than the sidis, but pretty close, and the sizing is the same. Shimanos from like 2-3 years ago were a little different, and smaller, though. The nicer shimanos also come with different arch supports that stick to the bottom of the insoles.

One thing about the shimano is they're all pretty similar in fit, between the same style anyway, like the RC and XC series, so if you can find one to try on that isn't the model you were looking at it's a fairly safe bet to order the same size.

jamal fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 18, 2021

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Giro seems to have a couple of wool gloves still, the d'wool, and knit merino.

In other news I bought a pearl izumi pro insulated jacket as winter was starting and am not really liking how it fits me, a tall skinny person (6'1, 160). Just a little too loose and baggy across the front and flaps around a bit too much on the road. Anyone interested? Size medium, very light, very warm, moderately water resistant, handy zippered back pocket.

This one:

https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/shop/men/outerwear/road/pro_insulated_jacket/p/11132014

made an sa mart thread, have some new bib shorts in there too:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3960059

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah the number on the sidewall means "don't ever put more than this in here."

That silca deal gives me numbers pretty close to, but a little higher than what I run, and less of a front/rear split than I like on the road/gravel (mtb and cx I only do 1-2psi difference) Also note that those are measured widths, which differs a bit from what is printed on the side.

My tire advice is to experiment a little, pay attention to how your tires feel when you're riding, and keep track of what you're doing.I have a spreadsheet, because I have a lot of bikes and tires and shocks to keep track of. You want some compliance for comfort and grip, but you need enough pressure to keep from bottoming the rim out on the ground all the time.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

You should read the WW thread about the Aeroad. There’s a lot of delusional people in there gushing over the bike and how they can’t wait to get theirs still, after all this.

Listen it's like the fastest bike in zwift,

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Off road it's a must imo. Going to bigger, tubeless tires on my cx bike last year completely changed where i feel comfortable riding it. Like doing big stupid rides on rough roads in the mountains where before it was like "uh I better bring 3 tubes and a patch kit. or maybe I need my mountain bike." Of course ,that still didn't stop me from going on this one ride mostly unprepared and having to walk a couple miles in the dark last year because I got two flats but only had one tube and one co2 and no pump

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 8, 2021

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

There's still a good amount of variation between the actual dimensions of rims and tires, and a tighter fit is better. The wtb nanos I've had were really tight on my dtswiss wheels with the stock, thin strip of tape and were a bit of a hassle to get fully seated. The maxxis ramblers I just put on are a little loose and if I was re-taping the wheels for these tires I'd do two wraps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The chain on my new mtb was trash at 850mi. But generally I expect like 1500-2000 miles.