Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I took the threads advice and copped a Schwalbe marathon plus for my rear wheel and drat was that thing a bitch to get on. Looks stout as all hell though so hopefully no more flat tires. It rides kinda weird but I'm sure I'll get used to it; after I get out of this urgent care I'm in for ridiculous Achilles' tendon pain gently caress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

gently caress you stupid staple that put two holes in my crazy thick schwalbe tire and slime tube! Rode it home 10 miles because yolo and big shout out to the dude that offered me a ride! I was only about 2 blocks from home but it was nice anyway.

Lesson learned: gonna put together a patch kit and carry a pump from now on

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

After 3 flat tires in three rides that left me more than 12 miles from home each time I finally managed to fix my rear tire in such a way that it made it through the entire 25 mile ride. Started carrying a tube and tire levers in my jersey because gently caress that noise.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

i havnt had a flat in 9,122.5 km on my road bike :smug:

The fact that you use kilometers in your post indicates to me that you may live in a place that actually sweeps the roads and doesn't have a populace that trucks around unsecured loads of old building materials and broken glass. Plus the southwest where I live has a plant called a goathead which is part of the caltrop family of invasive plants that leaves these little 3 pronged spikes of hate everywhere in the spring. The fact that I can get through an entire ride on one tire/tube is actually pretty amazing because the roads I ride on are very, very..............very not good.

edit: I might actually stop and take pics of all the crap I try to avoid while riding the roads around here. I've...seen things you people wouldn't believe

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 18, 2020

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

bicievino posted:

goatheads are like, one of the best arguments in favor of road tubeless

So I'm ignorant about tubeless tires, why would that be the way to go? Wouldn't I still get flats?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Thanks for the tubeless info everyone it was very enlightening. Aside from a tubeless tire what else am I looking at to do the swap? A new wheel?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Can anyone tell me about going tubeless? Can you adapt any wheel to it or do they have to be some kind of tubeless rim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Next year I want to do a century ride. The most I've ever ridden is about 40 miles in any one go and I'd like to hear what I should be doing to prepare for it. How much water should I take? food? rest? Will my taint hurt?