Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I crashed pretty loving hard yesterday. I did a dumb which everyone should watch out for: I buy expensive parts for my bikes and I love building them and looking around for just the right part that's going to complete the look.

This led me to using mostly racing parts, including ODI and Box racing grips. Racing grips are designed to be used with gloves, but I'm not wearing gloves. So like an idiot, my hands get super sweaty and slide off the grip and I ended up hurting some ribs and I'm off the bike for probably 3-4 weeks.

The lesson is; racing gear isn't always the best choice, and be conscious of the intended use for the parts you put on your bikes, especially if you're doing aggressive riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
It's a forum for computer professionals but everyone there hates computers and technology from being burnt out at work so we just talk about warhammer, bikes, cats, and how everyone is named James.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Me on a couch: "fat tires baby, the fatter the better"
Me riding my bike: "hmmm.. 700x23 could be a nice change of pace"

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
$2000 per bike will get you hand built wheels with any parts you want, literally any wheel set pretty much except some weird one someone will post right after this.

So first pick out some badass hubs. Onyx racing with transparent windows into the hub body for example.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I say just keep riding it until something breaks and then upgrade it. There is no greater feeling than legit riding a bike into the ground and replacing parts because you wore them out. (as long as it doesn't make you crash).

New tires give a bike a whole new feel, it can be pretty weird just how much. For example I was using Schwalbe Marthon Plus on my touring bike and those tires felt lifeless and kind of ... queasy on the turns. They're designed to simply not get flats, and it's true that I never had a flat with them which is just nuts, but I switched over to a Maxxis Rambler, which is more sporty and less touring specific and the bike feels brand new.

One funny story about the marathon pluses; I tried to cut them up using tin snips so they'd fit in the trash can and didn't think too hard about it until the kevlar shredded the blades on the snips and I had to replace them. Didn't even come close to cutting into those tires.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I refuse to use drops until I've won at least 1 race.

I don't race.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Put it on top of or behind your TV.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Hey are you really from Pittsburgh and if so do you have easy access to the C&O trail that goes down to DC? I'm in DC on the other end of that trail but I was half looking at moving and I'm curious how easy it is to get around the trails in Pittsburgh and greater PA. I've been car free for 1 year, so ideally anywhere I move needs a doctors office, dentist, grocery store and bike trails that you can get to with public transit. I was looking around on google maps around squirrel hill and the park there, but curious if you have already thought about this.

Just something to think about since my job is probably never going to be in the office again...my rent for a 2 bedroom is $2,000/mo so I'm eyeballing the midwest again.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Definitely there are places you can ride where its not always possible to slow down / stop near a group of friendly people to get out of a situation like that.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Like a normal social situation there is a lot of context and body language that 99% of people can just feel without written rules. In the earlier example if you're slowing down to get someone to pass you and they slow down and stay behind you going super slow that's what people are calling creepy and frankly weird/scary.

In contrast If you're chilling 20-30 meters back from someone and they're not varying their speed that's not a comparable situation. When people talk about drafting being rude that's usually a couple of inches or a foot away where the wind resistance is the reason for being that close, and in normal group ride situations where you trust people you'd be using hand signals to warn about rough patches or to signal braking and you know someone isn't going to cross wheel you.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The best feeling in the world is using a bike/parts until they disintegrate. Replacing stuff because you have to is just an excellent feeling. Doubly so when you do your own mechanical work.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Bike fit is pretty common sense. I would honestly do it myself due to the plague. The most important thing is to get comfortable with making basic adjustments so that when you observe something on a ride you won't put off changing it when you get home.

Ride 5 miles with a seat that's too high, ride 5 with a seat that's too low. Flip your stem upside down, ride 5 miles, scoot your seat back, ride 5 miles... you get it. Eventually you can get on a bike and pick out everything you'd change if it was yours in about 2 seconds.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mikemelbrooks posted:

But you end up 20miles away from home with a bike that still doesn't fit!

Bro why would you ruin one of the most classic pranks of the SA bike thread. Come on!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I have two 24" BMX bikes and two 20" and imo you are never going to feel good or look good sitting down pedaling on a bmx bike no matter how big it gets. The only reason larger BMX bikes exist is for the racing format, for style, and for clowning on your friends when you can do a trick on a 24" and they can't do it on a 20".

I do think BMX bikes are the best possible bike for zipping around a few miles to run errands in town or whatever, especially in these transition areas between commercial urban areas and dense urban areas. Easy to bring on the metro, easy to carry on stairs, easy to hop curbs, potholes, and trash piles, just zippy and nice all around where the roads are 50MPH but the stores are 1 mile away basically.

In terms of fit a lot of people don't realize that 20" BMX bikes actually size up for very large riders. You can get long top tubes, big bars, longer stems, longer cranks, and they can become very comfortable for what they're made for which is standing up and being aggressive.

In the category of similar purpose bikes I would find a used cannondale hooligan or similar bike. Always wanted one of those they look fun.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You can just wear jeans and a coat when you're riding in the winter. I ride like that down to ~10-20F with gloves and a hat under my helmet. I wear unvented hiking boots when its super cold because I already own them and my bikes all have platform pedals.

Basically I would say whatever you got lying around is fine. The rule of thumb for winter riding is that its way harder to get on the bike and leave than it is to stay warm while you're out there.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

e.pilot posted:

ICAN TT016

I have seen many bikes. I have built many bikes.

This is a work of art.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

e.pilot posted:

Still needs a couple of things but here she is. Overall the build went pretty smoothly. All that’s left is the rear brake cable was too short, rear HY/RD caliper didn’t fit so it’s getting a spyre in the rear, rear derailleur Di2 cable was too short, add sealant and air up the tires, and wrap the bars.

quote:

It looks fast because it is fast. In the images, you can almost see the air particles flowing over the top and having the frameset race off your screen. If its that fast imagine how fast it will be when you have a set of wheels on it, and you're pedaling as if your life depended on it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

paberu posted:

What is a good floor pump recommendation that has both a digital gauge and a good fuss free chuck?

I've been using a lezyne road drive or such but it's gauge is kinda crap (especially with my mtb) that I'm always needing to use a separate gauge post fact to dial in the right pressure, I'd like to eliminate that extra step.

If you're going to be doing presta and schrader I would pick one with 2 chucks. I avoid the combo ones because I've had issues with them especially on my bikes that take schrader @ 100PSI. As far as a digital gauge I don't think they're more accurate, just more of a pain in the rear end to maintain. If you need high accuracy, especially at low pressures I would get a separate gauge instead of an integrated one. I have a slime brand dial gauge for that; one for low pressure that does 0-30PSI and one for high pressure that does 30-200 PSI. I don't think most gauges are going to be super accurate for both very high and very low ranges.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
For anyone thinking about doing a century:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS4GZCUWgcA

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Depends on too many factors but frankly who cares.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Heres the rules: Infrastructure in the US is designed to make it impossible for cars and bikes to coexist. There are no rules because from the bikes perspective they've got a green light and probably they know the crosswalk button is broken anyway. From the cars perspective they've got a green light and they're in a car so you better watch out! Very important people drive cars.

So its hosed. Who cares through. You better watch out more carefully next time because it doesn't matter whos right if you smear someone across the pavement its going to ruin your day. The bike better watch out more carefully next time too because being right doesn't matter when 4,000 lbs of steel hits you at 30mph.

Overall its fine and you swear at each other and flip each other off and you go about your day. People get too bent out of shape about it. We need to be able to honk and flip the bird and not get stressed. The safest intersections in the world are totally uncontrolled. No signals. Start thinking that way about every intersection imo.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Steve French posted:

This is all true and not at all applicable in the situation where someone rides through without stopping and assumes right of way when they don’t have it.

The design requires rational people making logical decisions. That's why it's a bad design.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

EvilJoven posted:

A few people have suggested it. Thing is, we pay a kings ransom for a police service that's supposed to do things like investigate criminal activity for us.

Meet me in cspam I will tell you why you pay them.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

n8r posted:

Any videos you’d recommend?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtJpBuNI6fo

This guy was a full time instructor at camp woodward until he moved into his van.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ExecuDork posted:

I didn't care about e-bikes until I was 50 metres up the 70 metre climb to work and one passed me at about 25 km/h.

I'm fine with this as long as the person on the e-bike feels ashamed.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'd go for a flexible road bike in that situation. The difference in speed between a true race bike and a practical road bike is measured in seconds per mile, so I'd go for something that can upgrade into a rack, fenders, extra bottle cages, and that has clearance for larger tires. Surly pacer or something similar.

The worst bike purchase I made was a Madone 6 which I ended up selling because it was exhausting to ride. It takes less effort to go fast, but at the same time I couldn't ever feel comfortable on it unless I was pushing 10 out of 10, no MUPS, road only, full kit, going 20 or feeling like a loser. So... it had to go. It was fun for a while but eventually I replaced it with a gunnar touring bike with a 1x11 drivetrain, front and rear racks, 36c tires, faster than everyone on a MUP but I feel good wearing jeans on it, cutting across lawns, full gravel roads are no problem etc.

I'm not recommending that you go that far away from race bike but a few tiny tiny touches make a world of difference for how practical a bike is.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I thought about this some more and I think it's just super personal. For me, I ride bikes because I like exploring and getting lost. I like trespassing and getting into weird situations. For me a race bike just limiting the amount of fun I'm having. Same with a bike computer where I'm just looking down at it and being critical of my pace. BUT 10 years ago I was just an adrenaline junkie looking for a fix by racing cars in the 25mph zones and a race bike would have been perfect in that moment.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Go buy 10 of them on amazon or whatever right now before you forget.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I feel like everyone just falls into a cadence they find comfortable after enough riding. Is there anyone with 10,000km a year confused about candence and pushing at 50rpm? I doubt it. For new riders I would just say try spinning quite a bit faster than you're used to and see how it feels, and don't let yourself fight the bike - use a smaller gear and spin smoothly. I think my fitness and cadence are a 1:1 match. The faster I got, the faster I spin.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Next time you're on a group ride challenge your friends to a first gear only race.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Are there any mini velos still in production? Probably not? Thinking about those sweet sweet 20" wheels rn

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

e.pilot posted:

So as I was pedaling around zwift tonight looking at all the bike poo poo I have around the garage and am tired of trying to sell as individual components, I realized I am a frame, bars, right lever, and derailleur away from a complete 1x bike. Granted not a great top of the line bike, but a decent one, especially in the after times. That said, what’s the cheapest thru axle gravel bike frame I could get without being china carbon? A complete bike will be drastically easier to sell than a random assortment of parts. Cheapest I can find with any kind of brand recognition is the state bike all road for $420 (nice) shipped.

The only way this is worth it is if you buy a super expensive frame, replace your current frame, and then sell the old one with the parts.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Has anyone ever corrected a person when they asked about riding with clips? If you did hang your head in shame.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Pedals with cleats = cledals
Pedals with straps = stredals
Ordinary pedals = pededals

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
gently caress time to switch all 6 of my bikes to tubeless.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Unrelated but I've decided I'm going to jump to disc with a velobuild frame. Tempted to try and build wheels myself, anyone have any experience of doing this?

As said before it is very expensive to get into, but so satisfying. Don't be scared by the difficulty though, its really quite easy as long as you're patient.

On my first set i took 8 hours to build them and had to restart a few times, check youtube, check my reference wheel, and went super slow. The next set took 4 hours. A pro takes 20 minutes, which is the true art.

The end result of 8 hours with a tensiometer is a perfectly true wheel and a lot of knowledge, and i feel really confident truing wheels now.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The best bike storage I ever found was to scooch my TV up a little from the wall and then I'd pick up my bike and put it behind the TV and that way everyone had to look at it all the time when I wasn't riding it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I have two ortlieb backpacks and I would go with something else. The atrak is nice for airplanes as a duffle that exactly matches the carry on dimensions and is nice for clothing, and a rolltop is perfect for when you're getting soaked, but I can't get past the lack of side pockets. Its really annoying to have nowhere for your phone or water while walking, and if you need to access something frequently you need another bag on the your bike. They are super high quality, but the designers are obsessed with water proofing to the point that they won't allow you to have an optional space that would get wet.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Just saw a youtube video of one of my favorite riders getting concussed because he was wearing a lovely uncertified protec helmet. I'm sick of seeing people lose their careers to these things please don't buy or recommend protec.

edit; nobody did that here, I'm just mad and saying in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Protec uncertified helmets are a single layer of plastic about 2m thick that is so thin that the helmet is transparent to light. They're made to let kids skirt helmet rules at skateparks. If you squeeze one in your hands they're so thin you can squish the two sides of the helmet together until they touch and it springs back into place.

Timestamped to the exact helmet I'm talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH1VNa5-F9s&t=80s

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 2, 2021