Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Guinness posted:

What's the word on Hunt (alloy) wheels, specifically the 4 Season All Road Disc set? They look suspiciously nice for the sub-$500 price and look like they'd pair well with tubeless tires in the 35-40 range.

I've seen a friend's friday afternoon pair of Hunt wheels, and the trouble that Hunt gave them with poor support, so I wouldn't personally have a pair - but there are thousands of happy customers and they do look nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
My Cannondale pre-order is supposed to be delivered to the LBS today. I'm super loving excited, but with all these supply issues if the bike actually materialises i'll eat my shoe.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Topstone 2 (GRX) in the Rainbow Trout colourway :coolfish:

I keep riding my road bike up rivers and through lakes so i've had to replace its BB three times this last 12 months.Thought it was time to switch to a gravel bike to see if it can survive.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

EvilJoven posted:

It won't but given where you're riding you're going to enjoy the process of killing it a whole lot more. :black101:

Yeahhh :)

It'll cover 100% of the rides I do on the road bike, and over 50% of the rides on my XC MTB.

(if it turns up)

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Does anyone here have experience with either pedal axle extenders or with speedplay pedals?

After fighting with knee pain and struggling with bike fit on my road bike, I got frustrated and threw flat pedals on it, which immediately solved the issue. No knee pain, comfortable in the seat, riding for hours, fantastic. Looking down, I noticed I placed my feet pretty wide on the pedals. Trying to replicate this stance with clipless, I'm at the point where I've adjusted my cleats as far inside as they go, gotten the ultegra long-axle pedals, and added a 1.5mm spacer, and it's still not quite enough. It close, but there's still a pinch at my hips and tension in my knees that turns to pain if I ride clipped in two days in a row.

So now I'm trying to figure out the next step to getting the fantastic connected feeling of being clipped in without grinding my knees into dust, and it seems like either spacers or speedplay are my best bet. I'm skeptical of spacers, but it's also cheaper than buying into a whole new pedal system, and I'm getting sick of having to throw money into this bike to make it feel as good as my beat to poo poo 90s trek mountain bike gravel conversion.

Coming from MTB I used to feel I wanted the same stance on my road bike to cure my own knee pain. The inexpensive pedal extenders seemed rather sketchy, so I mostly solved it by spending a few weeks actively reminding myself to ride with my knees further in close to the top tube. Seems to have worked for my kneepain, hth

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I appreciate the tip. Just gave this a quick 5min try on the rollers, and it was surprisingly good. It felt weird in that I felt like I was using my muscles quite a bit differently, but my knees didn't feel any pressure. I'll probably try this for a little while and see if it'll work out for me long term. It beats just throwing more money at the problem. Thanks to everyone for helping me bumble my way through this!

It feels like there should be a little book of tips like this. I hope the knee thing works for you!

meltie fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 14, 2021

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

kimbo305 posted:

Lastly and unrelated, this is the roller cam underpinnings of the rim brakes:
https://i.imgur.com/2zA9bB7.mp4

Bloody hell. Aside from the silly headtube flaps are they any good?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

kimbo305 posted:

Vector wings in action
:awesomelon:

That's just ridiculous. I love it.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

BraveUlysses posted:

if i wanted to get a nicer set of bibs, with emphasis on being comfortable for 50-100mi (my cheap enough bibs do well for my usual 1-2hr rides) in warm and hot weather, and my budget is about 150ish:

what's the goon consensus on endura Pro SL (leaning towards these ones based on reviews) vs assos T.Equipe Evo vs ProCorsa McKenzie Summit vs Gore C7 Long Distance.

i like the castelli knicker bibs that i got for cold weather but they're a bit short on the torso

I went from DHB bargain-bucket to Endura's Pro SL last year, and yeah, i'd vouch for Endura's pad being super comfy. I don't need chamois cream any more.

It's a well-constructed bib. The band across the stomach is firm. Be honest with yourself on the sizing.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

meltie posted:

My Cannondale pre-order is supposed to be delivered to the LBS today. I'm super loving excited, but with all these supply issues if the bike actually materialises i'll eat my shoe.

Delayed until July/August :cry:

My shoe is safely uneaten.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Man that’s brutal. You’d think someone would have known before the day it was supposed to show up that it wasn’t going to happen and could have communicated it down the line.

I'm not surprised. They were pretty wooly about when batches are arriving. It seems that there's no real 'preorder' system with Cannondale; the manufacturer just sends batches out to dealers when they turn up at the port, and only then does the dealer check their list of preorders.

Two other UK stores are showing a predicted delivery in late Feb so we'll see if my shop gets a batch in a few weeks too 🤷

I'm not too gutted; it was just a 'well done' gift to myself for something. At least I still have my two other bieks.

meltie fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 17, 2021

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

serious gaylord posted:

It's basically impossible to import things from the far east to the UK by container at the moment. If a ship will even take uk bound containers the going rate is about 12000 pounds when this time last year it was 2000 which means companies on razor thin margins are holding off sending anything. Add to that the ship not wanting to be stuck waiting for a berth for a week because all our ports are full stuff just isn't coming.

My current work day is a nightmare because of this.

Ah. That probably explains why Cannondale just bumped the RRP of this model from £1400 to £1650.

meltie fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 17, 2021

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The UK really owned the poo poo out of themselves, huh?

Yep.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

meltie posted:

Two other UK stores are showing a predicted delivery in late Feb so we'll see if my shop gets a batch in a few weeks too 🤷

I'm not too gutted; it was just a 'well done' gift to myself for something. At least I still have my two other bieks.

Surprise! It turned up yesterday.

It's glitter colour-shift purple :discourse:

GRX, nanos, carbon fork, tubeless. It's a very good bike for the kind of road + bridleway + naughty footpath stuff I get up to in rural England.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meltie fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 24, 2021

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

bicievino posted:

Oh gently caress yeah. Great color.
I love that you were in such a rush to ride it that you left the stickers on the disc rotor.
I wasn't actually in the market for a new bike until I saw that colour.

drat, you're right, I forgot those pointless stickers. I can't remember what they say - something like "don't stick your finger in here" or "this gets hot"?

I've done other little things - got rid of the dork disk, greased the freehub body under the cassette, taken off the cheap headbadge.

meltie fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 24, 2021

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

MetaJew posted:

Absolutely gorgeous! I can't tell from the earlier posts, but which model is that? It doesn't look like a Topstone to me?

Cheers! It's the 2021 Topstone 2 Alloy - the colour is called Rainbow Trout.

https://www.cannondale.com/en-gb/bikes/road/gravel/topstone-alloy/topstone-2

I was being a bit cagey about it as I didn't want to get excited and then have my hopes dashed.

Biggus Duckus posted:

I don't have experience with them, but the bone conduction headphones sound pretty cool for cycling. Maybe someone has used them?

I have a pair of the Aeropex Aftershokz and they're bloody great for me. I do long rides listening to podcasts+audiobooks and the Aftershokz leave your actual earholes free to hear traffic and nature.

They're sweatproof and waterproof, i've worn them in the bath and the shower, done sauna and swam in pools with them (head above water - bluetooth doesn't work underwater!).

100% will recommend, would buy again.

meltie fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 24, 2021

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

bicievino posted:

It is confusing me to see that (very lovely) color called rainbow trout, because I'm pretty sure my bike's paint job is rainbow trout.

It's definitely a better name for your bike than the Cannondale!

Gorgeous paintjob there.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Giant Metal Robot posted:

The pill-shaped speakers fit well in most bottle cages. But music over spoken word. My brain can piece together much more of a song from broken snippets than it can Roman Mars pausing about stuff.

But his voice is so... gravelly.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Nice hubs!

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Salt Fish posted:

I'm so jealous of this poster who got their hubs complimented. That's like my dream.

well don't leave us hanging, show us your hubs!

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Nice hubs!

Levitate posted:

what advantages do spd sandals offer

you can cycle to your lake swimming spot and walk straight in without stopping to change your footwear

meltie fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 5, 2021

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Zonko_T.M. posted:

After multiple flats due to the nasty thorns lying on the ground around here, I'm looking for tires that are more resilient, or some way to help the current tires stand up to the abuse. I've got 700cx40mm WTB Byway Tires for my gravel bike. I'll probably switch the tubes to a set with slime in them. Any recommendations on tires that are more puncture resistant?

e.pilot posted:

tubeless

absolutely go tubeless and never look back

sincerely
a person that rides in a flinty and thorny area

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

My praxis BB is a little princess that pooes itself frequently. I've been through three.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

vikingstrike posted:

I had one on a CAAD9 for thousands of miles with no trouble. 🤷‍♂️

glad to hear it, because I really like the chainset!

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Objurium posted:

Longest solo ride yet today! The weather here's been great so I'm trying to soak it in before we inevitably hit hell season shortly.

Do you guys take any kind of supplements to help with recovery at all? I used to do BCAAs when I was lifting a bunch pre-covid but idk if there's anything bike specific I should be looking at.

BCAAs anecdotally helped a friend and I after running a trail marathon so i'd assume they're good post-biek too. Or perhaps it was the wine 🤷‍♀️

Nice purple!

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

bicievino posted:

I wanted to add/qualify some of the glib answers and mention that there *is* some risk with road tubeless. It's not as mature as mtb applications, and the higher pressure does make it more finicky than gravel.
Things that are considered risky are: setting non-tubeless rims up tubeless, running narrow (<28mm) tires on hookless rims, and running tires at high pressure (above 80 or so?).
There are certain combinations of tires/rims that don't go. If you're running high pressure it's worth checking if your rim manufacturer offers any guidance on the subject.
TBF we were responding to a question about gravel riding, on a new gravel bike, being ridden in a thorny area - a fantastic application for tubeless and nowhere near road PSI.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

FireTora posted:

Definitely, the real secret is that garmin connect has a drat good route planner on their site that has all the historic route data baked in like strava. They loving hide it in courses under the training menu though instead of pushing it.
e: if you use a garmin

Yeah, it's the best clicky-pointy route builder out there (vs Strava, Komoot, Ridewithgps, mapmyrun, and OS Maps' own bullshit crap) and it's a shame that Garmin just hide it away. Quite frankly the whole of Garmin Connect needs a kick up the arse.

meltie fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 11, 2021

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

bicievino posted:

Yeah. I've gotten hosed by people flagging private roads as public in Open Street Map, which then flows in to Strava.

As a pass-time I fix the Openstreetmap data around me when I find a problem in strava or komoot. It's one of the little things that I could still do under the UK lockdown, and in Summer last year I ended up riding out to odd bits of the countryside to check out and fix strange routing around disused canals, intermittent footpaths etc etc. It kept me "sane", and the map routing in this area is noticeably better now!

The routing is one the the things that really concern me / pisses me off about Komoot actually; its slavish internal belief that the OSM data is Perfect. It's fiddly to convince Komoot to go a way that the OSM data doesn't explicitly allow. In the countryside i've found it quite common to have Komoot's route go 10km out of the way because it won't consider a footbridge over a river if you're in cycle mode.

Thinking about it, Komoot's routing engine is naive and makes strange routing decisions even when the map data is correct; i've been hammering down a main road at speed only to be routed down a residential side-road that rejoined the main road in a few tens of metres further on - an entirely unnecessary turnoff that just wasted time.

ALSO (I'm on a roll now, I really hate komoot) it has several cycling modes: Road, Touring, Gravel, "Enduro MTB". These barely seem to make any change to the routing. If i'm on a road ride i'd expect to take the fast main roads, but komoot will still occasionally choose trails across fields :confused:. If I switch to Touring i'd sort of expect to be routed on smaller quieter roads, but that doesn't happen. Gravel doesn't seem to do anything at all, and Enduro MTB still prefers roads instead of a trail.

And in all of this, Komoot will happily route you along a main road when one street over is a National Cycle Network designated route. Komoot even has a NCN image overlay, but doesn't prefer its data.

Komoot has an interface to notify their team about map errors, but these seem to go straight into the bin. I have given up letting them know when there are map or routing issues and I just edit the OSM data myself now. I was tempted to fix Komoot's routing code on github but i'm not going to do uncompensated work for them.

TLDR: komoot's routing engine is trash for cycling unless you babysit every metre of the route it creates. Grr.

meltie fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 13, 2021

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

well someone needs to quote this post and say "nice bike", so i guess it's gonna have to be me!

can't see the hubs in the pic tho

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Mulleted my old 29er XC MTB.

It was an early 29er, so it had very steep geometry which felt rather twitchy on singletrack. It was at the point where I didn't want to carry much speed on it as I would get thrown off as soon as I went near the side of a rut, so I had stopped riding it.

It's now 29" wheel on the front, 27.5 on the back, which slackens the head angle by a degree or two. In photos you can't see the change that well, but i've had the tape measure out and both diameters as built up are correct.

Other things were switching the stem to a short 35mm instead of the original 100mm, and going tubeless so I can run the tyres at ~15psi for much greater compliance.

It feels fantastic now! It wants to yomp down the same singletracks. I honestly wasn't expecting it to feel much different, but this is a great change for was a slightly crappy MTB.

meltie fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 15, 2021

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

thanks, the hubs are cup-n-cone :swoon:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I got an ultrasonic cleaner for my cassette and chain and it looks like taking a Shimano 105 cassette off to clean it is a pain in the rear end

top tip, have a long zip-tie handy and as you take each piece of the cassette off, thread it on to the zip-tie. loosely close the zip-tie when you've got everything transferred over to it, and it'll keep everything in the correct orientation for you.

you can now dunk it in your cleaning bucket like a big ring of keys.

it makes putting it all back on the bike so much easier not having to stress about which way round the little inter-cog spacers go :)

meltie fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 20, 2021

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

spf3million posted:

I rode 100km today and my right shifter stopped shifting into the 3 or 4 fastest gears halfway through. Got home and fortunately it was just the shifter cable that spontaneously self combusted and nothing wrong with the shifter itself. I had to dig a dozen tiny shards of cable out of the shifter mechanism. Unfortunately the cable was internally routed and the ptfe sheath I had access to had too big of an OD to fit through the hole in the down tube. Had to fish that fucker out of the tiniest slit under the BB with a bent poker tool. Talk about satisfying though once I got it!

All said and done, great bike day.

congrats on the metric ton, those are Good Days.

I also lost access to most of my cassette a few weeks ago. It became a game of riding with what the bike would give me, and not stressing out about it too much.

The problem was the same as yours, but at the other end of the bike:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Clark Nova posted:

is this shimano first-gen 11-speed (9000, 8000, 7000 series)? They're known to shred the end of cables like that. I don't know if they fixed it in the current gen

Yeah, 11-speed 105 - well spotted and thank you - I did not know that!

(I blamed it on the Jagwire that the PO used)

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Clark Nova posted:

is this shimano first-gen 11-speed (9000, 8000, 7000 series)? They're known to shred the end of cables like that. I don't know if they fixed it in the current gen

i've recently found out that steel cable has a minimum working bend radius of 40x its diameter.

"You can get away with 20x but it reduces the life greatly"

That was in Tim Hunkin's new video, The Secret Life of Components - Chains: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZN0PBBzEHw

(steel cable bit starts at 44:25 but the whole video is great)

meltie fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 22, 2021

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

learnincurve posted:

Anyone in the queue for the Swytch bike conversion kit, it goes live next Tuesday.

hell no, their posho-Cambridge-boys-accent youtube advert naffs me the heck off

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Rode 10km to the local coffee&doughnut cafe. They were out of doughnuts. Rode home.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

learnincurve posted:

I live on the Trans-Pennine Trail from Chesterfield to Sheffield and on the one hand you can cycle to literally anything you need or want without going on the road, but the catch is that the off-road Bike infrastructure is there so the real roads are genuinely murderous.

So you have to ride your hybrid tyres on the canal path past loving idiots walking dead centre who refuse to get out your way “because the bikes are supposed to share” and massively slowing you down on your trip to the supermarket. :(

that's a gorgeous part of the world to live in though; I know it well

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

BraveUlysses posted:

wiggle where the gently caress is my order

i need a new bib for spring riding so bad

The more I spend at Wiggle, the less likely it seems to be that they throw Haribo into the box :(

friendship ended with wiggle

now sigma is my best friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

evil_bunnY posted:

If it leaked at the caliper they need to be replaced, along with the contaminated pads probably.

Tune-ups are nonsense. A competent shop can tell you what's actually wrong with a bike and what it'll take to fix it.

This. If it leaked down by the pads then the brake is broken - not your fault - and it must be fixed by the supplier.