Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

teepo posted:

riding solo means i can ride at my own pace and most importantly, start whenever i drat well please

As a very much not-morning person, this is me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Jan posted:

Rather ride solo midday when it gets to 35C on the tarmac, if it means I get to sleep in and ride bikes. :whatup:

Unironically, though

Edit: also evening rides, especially when sunset is almost 10pm

Guinness fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 26, 2020

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

cheese eats mouse posted:

Trying to sell my carbon bike and have some reseller telling me it's worth only $800 with a low offer of 400. It's a 2012 Cannondale Supersix 3

I feel like i'm being gaslit? A LBS told me $1500 and I have someone trying to trade their Specialized Roubaix Comp for it + $150 sweetner.

Considering the Roubaix depending on their specs. The Cannondale is slight too big and I have my old Cannondale that needs more work, which I'd rather just offload cheaper and ride.

I just sold a 2008 Felt F75, a very similar bike to a 105/Ultegra CAAD, for $800. I probably could have squeezed a few extra bucks out of it by parting out the upgraded Ultegra wheels separately but meh easy sale.

Don’t shortchange yourself right now, the market is crazy.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

One of the biggest benefits to SPDs is the double-sided pedal designs. If you’re going to give that up may as well look into other pedal systems IMO.

I have the Deore XT M8020s on my gravel bike and they’ve been rock solid so far.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Bikes on ferries are great, skip the lines, always at the front of the boat and first to unload, and only a few bucks to ride. Highly recommend.

But I always pause my GPS because that'd be cheating to rack up ferry miles! So I just get straight warp lines between docks:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

When I was a new cyclist I thought all blacked out stealth bikes were cool as gently caress.

Now many years later I think they are kinda boring and all same looking, give me some color!

But who cares what we think, get what you think looks cool because if you think it's cool you will ride it more and that's all that matters!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Coredump posted:

Your picture reminds me. Garmin being down almost a full week now is really putting a hamper on my life. If I can't record my rides and make numbers go up why bother?!

Garmin devices should all work offline, and you can plug them in via USB and upload the .fit files to Strava directly.

That's how we had to do it back in the old days before auto-sync all the time!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Andy Dufresne posted:

I was more interested in the phrase "pot plant". I suspect that means different things in different parts of the world, but my brother had several of those in the basement where I grew up.

One of my colleagues is from Australia and we had a good laugh when he casually mentioned taking care of his pot plants at home one day.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Biking for years now has given me enormous patience and understanding for most cyclists on the road when I am driving a car. I don't give a poo poo about rolling a stop sign or jumping a red or whatever minor things when traffic is clear and one has taken a second to make sure they're being safe and not a jackass.

But conversely it has also given me a special hatred of those 1% of mega dickheads that do wildly unsafe poo poo like that. Both because it is infinitely stupid and dangerous and I don't want to be involved, and also because those 1% of terrible interactions are the ones non-cyclist car drivers are going to remember and use to bitch and moan about all cyclists.

That 1% of mega dickheads exist in cars, too, and yet somehow they don't skew the conversation about all cars being bad.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 13, 2020

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

New retail prices for rack parts is bananas. The used market is abundant and much cheaper, but can be annoying to make sure everything is compatible. So much of that stuff is just sitting barely used in people’s garages, they almost pay you to take it away.

But I bought the new retail equivalent of an $800-1000 roof base bars and pair of bike racks for under $300. I used to Tetris in two bikes to the rear of my car and got sick of it. The rack is a huge improvement and I should have done it sooner.

It does suck a little bit if your car doesn’t have fixed point mounts (like your Civic, most likely), but there are solutions like those door jamb towers if you don’t mind risking a little paint wear on your car.

Personally I really don’t like the clips-and-straps universal trunk racks, but people do use them mostly successfully. They are the cheapest option but for a reason.

The hitch mount carriers are super sweet but pricey, especially the ones that fold away so you can still get into your trunk/hatch without taking everything off. But for tall SUVs they make more sense than a roof rack.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 24, 2020

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

That sucks dude, hope you have a speedy recovery.

Yet another reason to always wear gloves. Feels weird biking without them.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

gonna do a sweet gravel ride tomorrow, courtesy of guiness, who posted about a couple of months ago

get it get it, and post pics

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Agh I got yet another flat on my Gravel Kings, this time only 250 miles in to a replacement rear tire.

I had to replace the previous rear, the same model tire, at only 1300 miles after getting a large fatal puncture. It had had several flats already in its short lifespan.

It's just my general all-road riding in the PNW, 90% paved 10% gravel. I don't feel like my environment or my riding is unusually hard on tires. Maybe I have just been supremely unlucky but I had far far fewer flats riding around on 700x23 GP4000 pure road tires than these 700x38 GK slicks.

I love how these tires ride but their puncture resistance is dogshit. Fatal puncture aside, every time some miniscule shard of glass or wire has worked its way into the rubber, through the casing, and into the tube. Maybe I should try the "plus" model for better puncture resistance, but maybe I should just try a different tire.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

nm posted:

Too much watts

I mean, technically, yes.

Just don't mention the missing bolt that weakened it :ssh:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

ElMaligno posted:

my first 10+ mile ride... im so tired.

With that air quality... ya i bet

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I've barely been outside for a week, windows shut, just laying low trying to breath the least amount of this poo poo as possible. I'd kill to go for a nice bike ride right now in clean air. Feeling real goony and gross these days but can't do much about it. This world sucks.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I've found that if I eat breakfast my rides suck.

Don't skip rides. Just skip breakfast.

Depends on the person, but I'm with you. If I eat anything more than a very light breakfast my rides suck. Except coffee. All the coffee.

Other folks I ride with, including my spouse, are the complete opposite.

Applies to life in general, too, not just biking.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

EvilJoven posted:

Fuckin hell that's a lot of nails. This is what came off just a 500' long bridge.

I wasn't gonna do a whole sweep but when I got there someone else had done most of it so I pitched in to grab the rest. Talked to the city, they'll sweep the rest of the road this afternoon.

Jesus Christ, you're a hero for working to clean that poo poo up ASAP.

People are the worst.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Yeah the "you're gonna kill yourself!" bit is extremely overdramatic. Cross bikes aren't some crazy Evel Knieval flying stunt motorcycle (as much as their proponents would love them to be), they are just a bike oriented toward racing in variable conditions with tradeoffs that sacrifice comfort and "chill" riding characteristics. Also, crashing bikes happens. It'll be fine. You'll be fine. It's not the bike's fault.

Like was said above, you are probably looking for an endurance road bike or a gravel bike in terms of something that is all-day comfortable but still pretty quick.

Keep in mind, too, that "all-day comfort" is relative. You're still riding a bike for hours, not sitting on the couch.

quote:

Yeah, to get any real leverage on the brakes I had to grip from the top of the hooks. Is adjustable brake positioning something to look out for as a feature or should most decent quality ones have them as standard? In the case of my Triban they were built right into the hoods so I can't see how they could have been moved.

Figuring out the brifter positioning and usage is going to be the same on every drop bar bike. The overall geometry might play a small part, but overall it's not too much part of the equation. Brifters can be repositioned on the handlebar and the levers have some minimal adjustment built in, but for the most part they are "one size fits all".

You should be able to comfortably use the brifters from the hoods and the drops. Yes you will have more mechanical leverage from the drops, but most normal usage will be from the hoods. If you feel like you can't brake from the hoods there may be other issues at play.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 29, 2020

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Drops are amazing for descending and headwinds whether you're racing or not. Your loss :shrug:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Argh I'm so fed up with these Gravelkings that keep getting punctured by tiny bits of invisible road debris. I know I'm a superfred running them with tubes, maybe they just really are not meant for it. Every time I inspect them very closely and make sure to get the microscopic piece of glass or metal out. On my second rear tire and can't seem to go more than a few hundred miles without a minor puncture. I've been riding in the same area on the same roads for a decade and have never ever had this many puncture issues, not even close.

If I do decide to say gently caress it and try to get them set up tubeless, will I be doomed to fail on tires that have seen several hundred miles and a few pinhole punctures already? My rims are also "tubeless ready" but have almost 4000 miles of tubed riding on them, not sure if they'd still be good to go or need to be retaped etc.

Alternatively, what's a slickish road/hard pack gravel tire in the 700x35-40 range that isn't a cheese grater for tubes? WTB Byway or Exposure? Terravail Rampart? Schwalbe G-One Allround?

I should just get over it and go tubeless. That's the answer, isn't it?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Alright gently caress it I think I might make the jump to tubeless. Is it alright if the tape around the valve hole is a bit chewed up (from futzing with so many tubes going in and out), or will this cause problems? I should just retape if I'm going for it yea?

Guinness fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 10, 2020

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

TobinHatesYou posted:

The valve hole shouldn’t matter that much but I’m wondering how it got that way.

From replacing like 10 punctured tubes over the past several thousand miles. All the valves going in and out chewed up the tape around the hole.

quote:

Also that looks like Kapton/polyamide tape, which is super thin, elongates too easily and overall hard to work with. Get so e of the secret sauce green powder coating tape (generic or 3M 8992 it doesn’t matter.)

I don't know exactly what it is since the rims came pre-taped, but that looks like a good guess. Is something like this the right type of green polyster tape you're talking about?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Tubeless trip report: easy to set up and rides great, should have done it sooner. Hope this is the end of my minor puncture pains.

Tires with a few hundred miles on them were swiss cheese but orange seal took care of them pretty quick. Airshot can seated the beads instantly. Retaped the rims with the green tape for good measure but probably wasn't really necessary.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Tires will make a far bigger difference than a fork. I really doubt a fork swap is worth it. Get the biggest tires you can fit on there for sure, though.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I recently picked up some Finish Line Ceramic Wet lube and it's been working well in this fall PNW weather where it's not so much outright rain as it is just constant dampness.

So far it seems to pick up a bit less grit and grime than traditional wet lubes, and stay quieter longer. Maybe just placebo effect though, but usually this time of year is really hard on my chains with a lot of relubing and this stuff feels a bit better.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Anyone know the deal with Obed bikes (formerly Ocoee), looks like some of the same people as Litespeed?

They look kind of similar to Canyon in that they are direct to consumer, and their value proposition looks similar as well, but without all the wacky proprietary Canyon poo poo. And more oriented toward gravel/cx/mtb, no road race stuff.

3.5k for a carbon GRX810 or Ultegra RX Boundary looks pretty enticing. https://obedbikes.com/products/boundary-grx-810

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ohhh dang that is a super useful list, thanks! Figures that they are just branded generic frames.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

This, or you can disable it entirely.

Ya, disabled auto-pause years ago and just let the software analyze it out after the fact. Especially if you've got a wheel speed sensor that will read true 0 when you're not moving it works just fine.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Unless you had a green arrow giving you a protected right turn, you were likely in the wrong. That said,

quote:

Heres the rules: Infrastructure in the US is designed to make it impossible for cars and bikes to coexist

So its hosed.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

While rim brakes are perfectly fine, in the year 2020 there's no reason to not get disc brakes for most people. If your bike sees wet and grit at all there's no discussion, discs are better.

Plus my engineer heart just can't stand having rims be wear items when discs exist.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

rope kid posted:

I had a nice Thanksgiving ride. I made some adjustments on my '53 Galmozzi and went for a 20 mile cruise. Steel + wood rims + 75psi tubulars = comfy.

This is a cool bike. How well do wood rims work and hold up to wear and tear?

Also drat that is a tiny cassette and a not very small chainring. Climbing must not be a sit and spin affair on that thing. Gosh modern gearsets have made me soft.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Took me longer than I'd like to admit to understand what I was looking at.

FFS.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Alright, fed up, tossing these drat Gravel Kings (38 slicks) in the trash. They were completely unprotective of tubes, and even after switching to tubeless they are still swiss cheese. Countless punctures and cuts, they lose so much sealant so quickly. Been through a whole bottle of Orange Seal in 700 or so miles in just a few months riding mostly pavement and hardpack. They are just magnets for tiny debris.

They ride great, but this is just stupid. Never had remotely so many issues with tires before, even road race tires. Seattle streets are rough but they aren't bad enough to justify how often these things let me down.

Going to try out some G-One Allrounds in 38 and tubeless. Fingers crossed they hold up better.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

a patagonian cavy posted:

teravail ramparts have fun

i literally live in the same city as you and had the same problem. GK slicks died before 1,000 miles- ramparts are at 1500 on my first pair with the original load of sealant and minimal wear.

Sweet I was looking at the Ramparts too, but a little bit hard to find in stock right now. Finally found a place with the right size/color in stock so I'll pick them up instead of the Schwalbes.

Hopefully I can eke out a few more miles on the GKs until they get here, so close to my 2020 mileage goal.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

"Gravel bike" has gotten so diluted these days it could mean anything from a road bike with room for 35s to drat near a hardtail mountain bike.

After I got my gravel bike I hardly rode my pure road bike anymore, and eventually sold it off. For not-racing it's near enough as fast to not make a difference, and much more comfortable and bomb-proof. I think of it more of a "all road all conditions" bike since I run slick/near-slick 38s on it. I can enjoy rides on crumby roads or in crappy conditions that I would have been miserable on my road bike on 23-25s.

Speaking of, after much encouragement and massaging I finally got my unreliable GK slicks to seal my most recent nasty puncture and they held up for a 25 mile ride today and I got my 2000 mile distance & 100,000 ft climbing goal for the year :toot:. The Ramparts to replace them are in the mail and can't get here soon enough.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Time posted:

For you teravail rampart buyers, are you getting the durable version or the softs?

I bought the soft and supple one because sidewall cuts have never been an issue for me, also brown

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Got the new Ramparts mounted up and got them out for a 5 mile spin around between rains. Too early to judge durability, but initial ride impression is good. I might like them more than the GK slicks, they feel snappier and more eager to turn in, more like a road tire. Could be because they measure out to only 37mm on my rims, when the GKs measured out to 39mm, making them slightly but noticeably less voluminous.

Easy peasy to mount up tubeless and held air without any sealant when I air blasted them to seat the beads. Obviously put some fresh Orange Seal in after, fingers crossed these hold up better.

Ya'll are bigger animals than I am, but still pretty happy with 2020 considering I had almost no commuting miles to pad my numbers:

Guinness fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 31, 2020

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

drat ya'll live in some flat places doing over 5000 miles and only a little over 100k ft of climbing

Just thinking about getting on my bicycle logs 500 ft on the barometer here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

AFAIK you can still subscribe and participate in Peloton programming with a non-Peloton smart trainer.

For the price of a stationary Peloton bike, you can buy a very nice real bike (or two!), a very nice smart trainer, and still have money leftover for subscriptions and accessories.