Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
100km gravel event today in 30-40c heat, according to my bike computer.

I violated the 'never change anything on your bike just before an event' rule and got dropped from my group because I was hunting for a noise that sounded exactly like the indexing being off but it was a combination of the cassette being work down a bit funny because I stole it off my trainer and only took it for a spin around the block a few times and thought all hell was breaking loose the second I had to actually climb a hill in it.

Then I helped a little kid who should be on the devo team fix a flat because he borrowed a bike older than he is and didn't understand how cantis work and how to disconnect the brake.

After that I hooked up with some killer fast dudes I know until I knew I couldn't take it anymore so I gave em a monster pull and launched em. Few mins later I hook up with a couple guys I race cross with and ground out the rest until I started to bonk 5km from the finish and had to mooch a Nunn tab, managed to finish the ride including the last monster climb and then almost passed out in the parking lot. Couldn't eat any of my food because once I'm in overheating and bonking territory anything like a gel or gummy would make me hurl so after lating there for 20 mins I ate a piece of birthday cake and smashed a gas station sandwich and Gatorade on the way home. Shin cramped 2km from home while driving I had to get my wife to park the truck and while hosing the dust off the bike discovered that the RD was a bit loose at the hangar as well :argh: now even under heavy load it's way better.

It was an awesome day for bikes.

My only regret is I didn't get a pic of the super fluffy kitty that wanted all the pets while I was sitting on the ground kinda wanting to cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
If you don't ride in the wee hours of the morning its harder to justify being three beers in by 11am.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

spf3million posted:

This resonates strongly with me

The difference between me and a vagrant is when I'm drinking in a beer vendor parking lot on my bicycle at 10am I'm wearing a helmet and Lycra.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Any chance you're just not aware of the trim positions on most road shifters? There are 4 possible position selections with a modern road double shifter, used to get rid of chain rub on the FD cage when cross chaining.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

BeastPussy posted:

In my case yes I am, I just suck at setting up my FDs. I currently have two extreme small ring selections and a single big ring selection (trim does nothing in big ring).

I'll get it right one of these days but it works the way I need it to.

Sometimes the combination of chainstay length and chainline means a trim position is essentially vestigial. Seen it a few times where one of the trim positions of a perfectly set up drivetrain has little to no real effect. You should still see some movement in the mech though, even if it isn't needed.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
46/36 is still the most common CX double and a lot of 'adventure bikes' now with doubles are 46/30 so I don't think 46t ring availability is going anywhere for a while.

Also during the gravel event I did last weekend a ton of people running 1x were extremely envious of my 2x setup, especially on the last few climbs. I'm pretty happy I didn't go with a 1x setup on my bike.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Lies. All lies. Filthy (literally) stinkin (especially when it doesn't rain long enough and actually makes it MORE humid) lies.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

e.pilot posted:

this certainly was a thing today :thunk:

Oblivious or just an rear end in a top hat?

This one was oblivious and extremely apologetic.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yep. When they first started digging that up for the new bike path someone mistook the construction access for a new exit.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 30, 2020

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
So here's something kinda neat.

A local cyclist was planning to do some serious riding in July so his kids signed him up for a Strava distance challenge being put on by some company for kicks without him even knowing it.

He won the challenge, and also set the world record for longest distance cycled in a month.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
That was me and yes it's hilarious when certain men outright refuse to buy a small frame even though they can't comfortably stand over a medium.

Especially when there's an XL next to it and it's :siren:ON SALE:siren:

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 6, 2020

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Lower than average MY rear end

Still need to be 2 seconds faster on that segment though :argh:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I wish there was a way to opt out of Local Legends other than switching privacy settings and becoming ineligible for like half the challenges on Strava. I know most of them are basically just ads, but pretend internet badges are way cooler than pretend internet laurels imo.

I'm not a huge fan of it myself if only because I can see it making riding less fun, what with people feeling the urge to do the same thing over and over again just to maintain their LL status. Only reason why I have those is because it's part of the group ride I do twice a week.

But that 2nd place vexes me so.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
What the gently caress no mention of God's own trash ride food, the 7-11 taquito?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I am going to preface this by saying that I’m not going back to this bike shop and that I am completely clueless when it comes to bike maintenance.

They sold you tires too big for your frame. Except for a giant toughroad I cant think of a hybrid in their fleet that will clear a 2" tire. If it's that close in ideal conditions picking up a bit of mud or gravel or just hammering on the bike at a stoplight causing the frame to flex is gonna do things.

Find some 700*35-43ish mm tires somewhere else and get a refund for the ones they sold you.

Edit: on the off chance your bike is one I haven't seen before that'll actually clear a tire that big, it might be the QR springs being in backwards causing the wheel to not center properly. The wide part of the spring should be on the outside. If it's turned the wrong way around it can get wedged in the dropout.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 9, 2020

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Post pix where the tire is closest to the stays and fork crown in the bike repair thread. That definitely looks like a bike a 2" tire shouldn't be squeezed in to and it came stock with 35mm.

Don't worry about the spring being missing the skewer is still safe without it, its just a little less convenient putting the wheel back in now.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Rabies shots now are two in the butt cheek the first visit and then one or two in the arm every few days for a week or so if I'm remembering correctly, not the horrifying 2' long needle through the sternum like in the 80s. Go get poked, it's barely painful and way better than your brain melting.

My arm did get a tad sore tho.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Twerk from Home posted:

What’s the distinction? If I saw a rigid flat bar bike with smaller than 2” tires and forward geometry I’d call it a hybrid.

City bike would be fully upright, cruiser is relaxed geo.

They're talking bikes with 700*40ish tires and suspension forks like the Giant Roam series which yes suck compared to modern air forks you'd find on the MTB you take to Whistler but are fine for someone that wants basically an entry level light duty bike and would prefer some squish to their ride at the cost of some extra weight.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh it totally would be but at the same time good luck trying to convince someone who doesn't want to drop gravel bike money to pick one over a bike that's almost half the cost.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Trek dual sports have not super great suspension forks so compared to a Fox stepcast or a RS Revelation it's going to suck hucking to flat and not be a bike you'll ever want to take to Moab.

But for everything else it's going to be great if you're sticking to pavement gravel and even easier offroad where yes a skilled rider going much faster would almost certainly prefer a lighter bike with a more predictable rigid fork, but is going to do an OK job of keeping you from rattling your teeth out.

The fork will either last you a reasonable length of time, measured in years possiblity decades if you keep it clean and store it indoors if you never go past being an occasional rider. If you catch the cycling bug and it becomes your thing you'll quickly outgrow that bikes capabilities and want something better at which point you'll sell it and take a $300ish loss which isn't much at all, or keep it as your commuter/bar bike and not give a gently caress.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Bike shops have *some* bikes in stock.

Problem is we don't have a lot of bikes most people actually want.

Right now at work we have 3 mountain bikes; a used rigid 27.5 plus bike, a carbon hardtail with a lefty, and a carbon 27.5 FS.

For hybrids we have one with an IGH and a belt drive and a 4 figure price tag.

For gravel bikes we have steel Surlys and Salsas and carbon Giants.

etc etc etc.

The bread and butter of the bike industry right now is still aluminum hybrids and MTBs at the mid 3 figure mark and aluminum gravel bikes with carbon forks for around 1500 (adjust for US dollars I have NFI what you people pay for bikes) and finding anything like that is a miracle right now.

At least our shop isn't doing what some others are and stocking up their empty showrooms by cleaning out their suppliers of the only thing left; higher priced bikes in XS and XL frame sizes, which they'll be stuck with forever.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 11, 2020

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wait 2 years and you'll have your pick of the litter for right around cost.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

becoming posted:

Bat/Rabies update
14cc spread out over five different shots - left quad (3cc), right quad (3cc), left delt (2cc), and then repeats in my quads.

Starting to think the doctor I went to just wanted to stab someone in the rear end.

quote:

The HRIG costs about $15,000 USD before insurance pays their share, and each dosage of the vaccine is about $300 USD.

What the gently caress America.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Group ride this morning. We had an east tailwind on the way out. On the way back we had shelter from the trees off the shoulder.

We're all kinda :stare: about the times we're posting. This entire year has been stupid fast.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Giant Escape 2 disc or something similar like the Trek FX, Cannondale Quick, Kona Dew, Marin Fairfax.

The 8 speed Altus stuff is fine for a beginner flat bar bike/runabout. The 7 speed Tourney stuff sucks a lot.

Good luck finding one.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Winter is when sales slow and also when next years bikes have been announced and are often on shelves so ya those old bikes gotta go.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Not me!

:(

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
if you're ordering and you need presta try to get tubes tha have removable valve cores. Tubes are becoming very hard to come by and you don't want to have to sacrifice one just because you snapped the end of the valve off.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Get a fatbike. Get a set of 29er wheels built for it. End up with a super fun year round rigid MTB you can do basically everything with.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
You'd be surprised just how agile a fixie running 30mm studded tires can be in the winter.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Glad I kept the Gravelkings on for my road ride. I'm 40km in and my route keeps on crossing The Great Trail so I keep leaving the pavement to explore. I gotta say, it's pretty great.

Smashing a Bud Light radler because I'm in the middle of nowhere at some little camp store and I'm p sure this is the only radler for 100km in any direction. It's cold and wet, full of sugar and carbs, and actually not bad.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Glad I practice what I preach and carry a spare hanger on me. Had to swap it out after having the bike slip out from under me on a sketchy climb up some granite.

I'm sure I can straighten the original one, it's only bent a smidge, but it was enough to make my shifting go out of whack and it's about as fast to swap out as trying to adjust everything else to compensate for a bent hanger in the field. gently caress doing the ol grab the RD and pull method of fixing it, that's a good way to break something else.

Now to eat and get back to where I started.

Gonna do a proper trip report when I get home, this is such a good ride with so many waterfalls.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
The triathalete kids are starting to learn to ride bikes. They attempted a breakaway at the start of the second sprint! :3:

Fortunately I caught on and launched the entire A group past em. :getin:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Figure I'd take the time to post about my last big bike ride.

Manitoba is mostly flat. Riding here can sometimes be a tad... tedious. If you sick to the middle part and don't leave the pavement.

Head west a few hours outside of Winnipeg and you can go up and down some really steep punchy climbs along the Pembina Escarpment where the Agassiz Grind is held just outside Roseisle, the Bear Bait 100 takes place outside Riding Mountain National Park and there's really good mountain biking at the North Gate MTB trails, East Gate trails in RMNP proper, and a ton of gravel to be had. The main road through the park is also a really good paved road route.

I wanted something different this time around though so I went East, into The Whiteshell.

This place is proper big. There's good MTB to be had at Blue Highway and Falcon Lake, some gravel, and a lot of very quiet pavement. Just don't go on a long weekend when the roads are clogged with campers. On a normal Tuesday though there's barely a soul in sight. I figured I'd go north along 307 to Pinewood Lodge, there'd at least be some sort of food there and it'd make for a 100km out and back which is p much all I usually want to do in a single ride. I'd already done 50km that morning on my sketchy Tuesday Thursday morning group ride and I didn't really want to burn myself out too much. 150 broken up with a few hour car ride in the middle sounded fine.

Decided on the Journeyman running my new wheel set with 35mm Gravelkings. I knew at some point I was going to see something interesting and want to leave the pavement so I didn't bother with road tires because that's how I roll. Stuffed my supplies in a frame bag Lezyne is apparently going to start selling next year. The more space I have the more crap I take on a ride but at least I had Gatorade. Good thing because it was stupid hot.

Oh goody.

The Whiteshell has tons of camping areas. Some easily accessible, some a bit of a trek to get to. A few you're gonna paddle through a tunnel just big enough to get a canoe through, and a bunch more you're going to portage once or thrice so I hope you packed light. I passed a ton of the easily accessible car camping sites along the way.

Most of it though was rocks, trees, water, and road. Pretty, though. I didn't take a ton of shots of the road because I find the more pictures I take the less I just take in.

But then opportunity knocks...

I'm a little torn about The Great Trail. A lot of it is just 'follow this route on the shoulder of these highways for a stupid long distance' which isn't really a trail it's just walking along the highway. Follow the signs on the sections that aren't just hiking on the shoulder of the road and it's usually pretty nice.

Scratch that, it's breathtaking.

I wish imgur supported panoramas.

Back on the highway for a bit, which is more rocks, trees, pavement and pretty lakes.

When I saw another Great Trail sign I took the detour where I was faced with a bunch of incredibly boring tractor path and blackflies biting my hands THROUGH MY GLOVES.

Totally worth it though. Pictures didn't do the view of this valley justice.

DO NOT LET THE BORING TRACTOR PATH DESCENT BORE YOU TOO MUCH OR YOU'LL GET DISTRACTED AND RUN INTO BLIND CORNER BENNY THE BIKE KILLING TREE

Back on the road and oh hell yes ice cream.

Actually screw ice cream.

They actually had radlers. Bud light radler, sure, but I didn't care. Surprisingly it was pretty good! Down the hatch and back on the road yet again until I came across this place called Pine Point Rapids where I rode a sketchy trail definitely not meant for bikes that culminated in laying the bike down hopping up on to this off camber chunk of billion year old granite because my tires were wet, and bending my derailleur hanger. Don't follow me, I do stupid things.

But it was totally worth it because this place is awesome and I'm totally going back and bringing yet another bag with my swimming stuff in it.

Swapped out the hanger with the spare I keep on every bike I own because again don't follow me I do stupid things and I'm again on the road for the final stretch.

I always do these sort of detours on the way out because I knew I was going to be bagged enough that on the way back I'd start skipping things. By the time I arrived at the half way mark it had already been well over 100km for the day. The view of the Winnipeg River was nice, but my lunch was rear end. Stupid Covid, they weren't even serving half decent take out. I could have waited 20 minutes for a mediocre pizza but at that point I really needed to get home.

The ride home was 100% pavement with a headwind and grueling. I stopped for water and a few leg cramps only. No pictures except for the radio tower, because that meant the end of a series of kinda punchy painful little hills.

All in, this ride was 120km. Combined with the regular early AM hammer fest where I won the second sprint it put the the day's total at 170km. It hurt. It ruled. Bikes are good.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 25, 2020

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Salt Fish posted:

I crashed pretty loving hard yesterday.

drat dude heal up quick. Quick web search tells me B12 helps with muscle damage and bruising recovery so start poppin.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Crack'n'fail is still a good brand if you want distinct high end bikes you're content to upgrade the horrible wheelsets on out of the box and also don't mind long delays for proprietary replacement parts and also loathe the people you pay to do the maintenance on them.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
A good part of my weekend was 75km of gravel in the middle of nowhere and it owned.

Highway 314. Easy as pie served on a washboard.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Get the dualsport and upgrade the fork to a Rockshox Paragon.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Two spare tubes a pump tire levers a little multitool a $20 bill a full water bottle a few granola bars and a charged cell phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
One thjng to note is that on paper the GRX FD and 2x crank aren't intercompatible with regular 11s road front double components but we just finished a custom build with a 2x GRX crank and an Ultegra FD and it worked fine. YMMV.

If you don't need bigger than 11-34 there's always the clutched Ultegra RX that's so far served me very well. If you're eyeing a gravel bike with a traditional drivetrain but want the clutch swapping whatever you get out for one is a good option.