Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I raced 14 times between January 25 and March 8 because lol NCNCA schedule.

Too bad we're never gonna race again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
God drat.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Let's just make tracks really, really, really long straight lines.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Pinning numbers on my skinsuit when I don’t have a teammate is a pain. Anyone used the racedots on a bike?

A very light misting of 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. It leaves no residue if you don't overdo it.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Grasshopper Adventure Series // Huffmaster Hopper M30-39 (5th out of 58)

I had a custom Rock Lobster made last year. I barely rode it because it had a couple flaws and I was sadbrains thinking about it. A couple weeks ago my bud was like "do the next Grasshopper with me, idiot." It was a convincing argument so I signed up for the 30-39 age group with him (I'm 40.) I swapped out the 40mm WTB Nanos and put some 35mm Continental Terra Speeds on. I rode the bike once on the Palo Alto Noon Ride just to make sure everything was working. I ended up changing out the 120mm -7deg stem for a 110mm -17deg and everything felt good. In terms of race prep, the only concerns I had was hydration/nutrition during a 88mi 4800ft mixed tarmac/gravel race with one "feed station" where you can leave extra supplies. I ended up starting with two 26oz bottles with 9 scoops of Skratch Superfuel + 1g of beta-alanine each. I also carried a Hammer flask with ~6 gels worth as supplementary carbs in case the weather didn't call for drinking so much. At the feed I left a 50oz Camelbak just in case along with 22oz/26oz bottles of water ice and Superfuel. I also had another Hammer flask with caffeinated gel for the extra boost later in the race. As is customary, I pretty much wasn't able to sleep the night before the event.

- Raced hard from the start, the front group went from 50+ to about 18 in the first gravel sector.
- Got in a 3-man break on the next paved section and it quickly became a 2-man break. Over the next 10 miles, we lost sight of the chasers and picked up a straggler from the pro men's start for a while. He got dropped at the base of the first climb.
- I lost my temp riding buddy's wheel 2/3rds up the first and longest climb of the day where the average gradient is about 11%.
- Another climber type dropped the chase group, caught me and passed me before hitting the top.
- I took the descent medium-fast and reached the feed zone in what I thought was 3rd position.
- I loaded up on 2x 26oz bottles of Superfuel, a 22oz bottle of water ice to cool my core and also as extra hydration, plus the caffeinated gel flask.
- I rode off solo, occasionally picking up people who used me as a draft, but they weren't able to share the workload. I dropped them all and took on the next gravel climb solo.
- Near the top, the 40-49 wave's leaders had caught me. Initially I latched onto the two who were gapping everyone else on the climb, but decided to take it easy because the rest of their group wasn't far behind. I knew it would all come back together on the descent.
- Once we crested the hill, I was able to just sit on the back of the 40-49 group and had a nice, easy 20 miles, relatively speaking...at that point everyone was cooperative and we had become a mass of multiple starting waves, including some of the pro women and 20-29s.
- We absorbed climber dude into the blob.
- On the final climb of the day, there was more fine dirt / sand over the hardpack and I nearly ate poo poo rounding one corner, my rear first skipped on way, then I powered through it and it skipped in the other direction as I overcorrected. I lost momentum and could not reattach to the group.
- I also could not get a good feel for the following gravel descent. It had lots of corners and the same fine dirt / sand...it felt super sketchy, and I also have zero experience with gravel.
- I took it easy because I had like 15 minutes on the next fastest 30-39 by that point.
- Even the next flat gravel section was extremely sketch. There were times where my wheels would just sink into the loose stuff and I'd lose 2-3mph instantly with no warning.
- I ended up sitting behind some huge guy through the last gravel rollers until his drivetrain suidieded and I was off solo again.
- The last 8 miles or so were all paved and against the wind, it felt infinitely better than the gravel and I just set the cruise control to about 4w/kg and went into TT mode. I passed like a dozen people from various starting waves in those final 25min.

I finished the 88mi 4800ft course in 4h43m at 3.3w/kg avg, 3.75w/kg normalized. 5th officially, 4th among people who actually started in the correct wave.

Conclusion:
I don't know if I'd call it fun. I need to learn how to descend the really loose gravel bits. I excelled on the flat stuff, the harder packed dirt descent and of course the tarmac. I correctly followed an attack and contributed immediately, guaranteeing me a decent finish. The next closest guy finished 13 minutes back. It was fun because I have the fitness to go cover attacks, help make them work and then ride tempo basically forever.

Found me at the starting line:

Found me in the last 13mi:

Bike:

Strava:

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 24, 2021

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kimbo305 posted:

Was it just loose and not bumpy/rocky?
How much do you think could be helped from a different tread, and would that cancel out in the asphalt parts?

It was just loose and did not fit my definition of bumpy.

The narrower tires may have helped establish my initial breakaway, but I would have been totally fine keeping up in groups with chunkier tires. It's hard to say if I would have gotten a better result. The narrow tires ensured me 4th/5th place. Fatter, knobbier tires at best would have improved my finish by one spot.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

bicievino posted:

Love this race report.

How did you feel your hydration/nutrition plan worked out? Anything you'd change?

It was spot-on. I had enough hydration that I didn't need to be stingy. The gel flask was mostly insurance in case I dropped a bottle and lost about 500kcal/120g worth of carbs in doing so.

In the second half of the race, the additional bottle of solid ice was nice for its cooling effect and thawed sufficiently in my jersey pocket. The caffeine boost was also nice, but I only took two gulps of it because the Superfuel was working so well.

Standard disclaimer that I am accustomed to getting carbs from the bottle and already know that I can subsist entirely on gels without gutrot.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Race Report // Copperopolis

Lmao.

Fin.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
184bpm for 90min is :stonk:

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

~70 mile road race in about 80f. I’d like 3 bottles of mix, one per hour roughly. It will loop around for multiple laps, so I can toss a bottle as needed. What’s the move here? Two on the bike and one in the jersey pocket to start? Or just hydrate up right before and go with 2 and some solid food/gel flask?

3 bottles. Toss the first bottle around the start/finish line. Use a sign, tree, or some other landmark as a marker. Throw the bottle up in an arc and try to have it land in the weeds/foliage instead of attempting to slide it under your parked car. If you do the latter, your bottle will get a little chewed up by the road surface.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Withnail posted:

I started racing again this summer after a few years. I was in a break with Alex Howes in the local training crit and feeling good about myself. Then I got dropped in a age group race a few days later. So I don't know what to think, but racing is still fun, sort of

When Phil Gaimon did a random CBR a few years back he rode Rahsaan Bahati and Cory Williams off his wheel and solo'd to the win.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Copypasta from an e-mail I sent out.

Castle Criterium (State Championship)

Racer: Me
Date: September 5, 2021
Category: Masters 40-44 Men
Duration: 45 minutes
Course: .8mi bullet shape...two long straights, two corners and one long half-circle sweeper.
Field size: Only 7
Start: 4:05pm
Temperature: 100F / 38C
Wind: Crosswinds on both long straights, headwind between turns 1-2 and tailwind on the half-circle sweeper.
Result: 3rd

Metrics:
Height: 177cm
Weight: 66kg
Pavg: 228W
Pnp: 247W
Pmax: 1055W
Speed: 24mph
HRavg: 151bpm
HRmax: 170bpm

Since there were only 6 others in the race, I can name and rank them all...

Predicted winner: Matt Mikul, Terun Elite team captain. On the form of his life. Currently leading Jeff Linder in BAR. Well-rounded sprinter.
Predicted second: Blaine Ashley, Thirsty Bear. A breakaway type who can sprint a little bit.

Also dangerous:
Richard Gabel, ATP Velo Kings. All-rounder.
Przemek Tutak, Valley Spokesman. All-rounder.
Sean Gilson, Rio Strada. Sprinter

Not a threat:
Philip Barros, Mike's Bikes.

Race prep:
Buy a kegerator and gain 15 pounds by drinking 32oz of beer every night. Work on punch by riding very aggressively in the local fast group rides. Participate in team camp rides the day before because I race best at slightly negative TSB (around -10.) Audition 28mm Schwalbe Pro One TT tires. <-- Hint, these are fast but paper thin. I punctured once during team camp on Friday and also punctured in the race on Sunday!

How it went:
With only seven preregistrations and forecasted scorching temps, I knew it was going to be a tough race one way or another. While watching the 35-39s race, Blaine and I wondered who would surprise us with a day-of registration. Blaine had asked his teammate Ariel Hermann to come out, but he ended up a no-show. In fact, there were no day-of sign-ups, so seven it was. Normally I like smaller fields, but seven is baaad. As this was a late afternoon start, the winds had really picked up.

The start was uninteresting, the first lap was very easy and the start of the second lap was even easier. I went to the front and slowly started raising the pace and they let me go. Sean Gilson from Rio Strada followed. I did most of the work to establish a real gap, but stayed within myself. After two laps, the others had enough and they reeled us back in quickly, setting the fastest lap of the race at 1m45s. In the laps that followed, Matt Mikul attacked a couple times and so did Blaine. Each attack was immediately covered, though Philip Barros got dropped and pulled out of the race.

Matt initiated the winning break on lap 10, so about 20 minutes into the race. Przemek followed and that was that. I could have / should have followed, but I was determined to race more efficiently than at San Ardo and I figured Blaine would drag us back. That didn't happen and I immediately went to the front of the chase and put in an effort. Blaine took his turn, but Sean Gilson and Richard Gabel did not so much as roll through. With two out of four already resigned to sprinting for 3rd place, we were doomed. Over the next 13 minutes, the gap grew and our pace slowed. I ended up doing some work on the front, but giving up as nobody would pull through. Blaine admitted after the race that he was not prepared for the heat...I assume Sean and Richard felt the same.

During one of my desperation pulls, my rear tire punctured. I raised my hand and rotated backward until the tire eventually sealed at 40psi. That was less than ideal, but surprisingly very rideable. I hardly noticed the difference. With 12 minutes to go, I waited for the transition from headwind to cross-tailwind to attack the other three. Fortunately Richard was on the front and the worst off of the lot. Nobody responded and within a lap I was fairly certain I had secured third place. Over the final 6 laps, I rode around threshold but in as aero a position as I could. I rode at higher power on the cross-headwind front straight and eased a little on the cross-tailwind back straight. Through the half-circle sweeper, I pedaled as close to the cones as possible to minimize my distance traveled. I aimed my bike at the smoothest sections of pavement and started rattling off 1m55s laps. Little did I know, the 2-man break had slowed to 2m00s laps and on the final lap they slowed to 2m31s. On the back straight I got within just a few seconds of them, but Matt finally looked back and saw that I was not, in fact, the moto and an imminent threat. He started his sprint a little early and beat Przemek easily, as expected. I rolled in a few seconds behind them, happy to have gambled on time-trialing to third place rather than waiting on losing a sprint to Sean and Blaine.

Post-mortem:
* I should have followed Matt M every single time he attacked.
* Pay more attention to rider body language, especially in small fields.
* I was surprised that only Matt M and I made use of the crosswind. Everyone else was wasting watts.
* Schwalbe Pro One TT tires. Fast, but even more fragile than Corsa Speeds.
* 40psi was surprisingly rideable. I barely noticed and it wasn't wallowy or too pillowy feeling at all.
* Gaining weight for crits and flattish road races really does help. Imagine that.
* The people watching were cheering me on, especially when they saw me close in on the back straight. That was worth a few extra watts. Jeff Linder of NorCal Cycling YouTube fame gave me a fistbump for the effort.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 8, 2021

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
What a dumb race.

Also I got yelled at by an old man for this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgGfshRWaqs

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Sep 19, 2021

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Trigger Warning: unsanctioned training crit on open roads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnRUYDULUFw

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Albinator posted:

It was very engaging.

Credit to my friend whose footage/edit that is. I am in there though on the very subtle TREK.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
At least according to BRR, nothing comes close to the tubeless Corsa Speeds (with or without a latex tube) for Crr. Any weight advantage (even for Mt. Washington) is surely be negated by the Corsa Speed G2.0 TLR's additional rolling efficiency over a slightly beefier Corsa tubular. I have no qualms with running Corsa Speed TLRs on rough pavement...I raced Central Valley road races on them.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 23, 2022

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

bicievino posted:

I haven't seen any data on the Corsa Speed G2.0 TLR vs. the Corsa Speed G2.0 Tubular, though.

The only reason why I trust a Corsa Speed G2.0 TLR tire in a race is the tubeless aspect. I don’t know what the pavement is like on Mt. Washington though.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Just gonna copy-pasta my race report sent to the team:

quote:

Date: February 19, 2022
Course: 20mi out-and-back along an old stretch of highway. Its single defining feature is a .8mi "climb" averaging 3%.
Conditions: Sunny. Warm enough to skip the baselayer and arm warmers at the start. Not enough wind to influence the race.
Category: Masters 40+ 123
Field size: 33
Result: 7th
Teammates: Lanier (DNF, flat)

Height: 177cm
Weight: 61kg
Pavg: 222W
Pnp: 247W
Pmax: 922W
Time: 2h51m
Speed: 24.6mph
HRavg: 144bpm
HRmax: 164bpm

Week-of race prep:
- Initiated a successful 2-man breakaway from the gun of the Tuesday Nooner (Double Sand Hill.)
- 100mi/8500ft on Wednesday.
- Practiced "jumping across" on the Thursday Nooner (Long Route)

How it went:
Riding beyond my ability. Dumb or genius? Before the race, I told Lanier I wasn't really interested in waiting for the inevitable Mark Tucker or Scott Giles move because everyone else would be doing that. SJBC, ATP Velo Kings and CoreTechs each had a large presence, but usually nothing really happens on the first lap, so...

...when a few fine gentlemen surged after the half-lap u-turn only to sit up seconds later, I took my momentum and rode right past. One other (Jason) comes with me and we work well together before a 6-man chase catches us a full lap later. The now 8-man break gets into a standard paceline and we put more than 5 minutes on the rest of the field with SuperDave and Richard Gabel (ATP Velo Kings) lost somewhere in between.

Everyone in the break decides to conserve before the hill at the end of lap 2, but WHY? Let's f'ing go. I up the tempo hoping they’ll do the same, but they give me a gap...which makes it an attack I guess. I spend another quarter lap solo OTF. The group stops working together after they reel me in and then it REALLY stops working together by the u-turn after the moto tells us the main group has gone to warp (on the backs of Velo Kings) after scooping up SuperDave and Gabel. The gap is down to 1.5min. Mark Tucker attacks the main group over and over and finally breaks free. He is imminent and half the break just rolled over dead. Four of us start doing all the work in a last ditch effort to keep Mark from completing his bridge attempt.

Things Fall Apart. Mark catches us at the foot of the climb. I’m toast and have nothing left for the final 300m. I roll in 7th, relieved that one of the guys who kept working ended up winning the race.

I'm also glad Mark beat every single one of the guys in the break who played dead.

Had the four of us not put in the work, even the main group would have caught us at the line. It was that close.

After the race, breakmates Dustin and Derek come over to tell me I did too much work. Yep I know, I know.

Post-mortem:
For me this was a bittersweet end to an incredible day. My attack formed the winning breakaway at mile 10 of a 70 mile race. I spent 20 of those miles in a 2-man break, 35 in an 8-man and 5 alone. With my skillset, I was put in an unwinnable position. Either I slay myself to keep the break alive or sprint against 20 additional bodies who don't have 60 miles worth of breakaway in them. On to Snelling...

Distancing the field on the first lap

Trying to break away from breakaway

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 24, 2022

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Prelim race report for today: 6th/37

Literally the exact same thing happened. They let me sneak away with one dude at like mile 10. Another bridged. Eventually we draw out the the 8 strongest dudes and they chase us down --> the most attacky breakaway. There's three teams of two in the now 11-man break and they are intentionally sitting up, letting gaps open and having their teammates counterattack. Meanwhile most of us solo guys are DYING.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 27, 2022

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
2/32

And then I did a P12 race and missed the break, and then the main group got blown apart in crosswinds.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 19, 2022

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Racing bikes is good.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 5, 2022

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I won the most prestigious crit in NorCal. In the western US maybe.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

I hope it’s Alviso, I’d even say it’s the prestigious race period

It was AlVisO.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Anachronist posted:

When is the youtube play by play getting posted?

Jeff wasn't there because he got COVID at Intelligentsia. There might be an Initial D meme edit if Max decides to do one.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Race report:

I finished 6th in a 93 mile P12 road race with Tobin Ortenblad, Miles Hubbard and Chris Riekert in it.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Oops I did it again.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

TobinHatesYou posted:

Oops I did it again.

And back to Blaine it goes.

I also finished 8th in a P12 road race over the weekend. Not great, not terrible. Basically DFL of the people who still had a 40-second sprint effort left in their legs.

https://i.imgur.com/ovVbfYa.mp4

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Aug 31, 2022

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I owned Jeff so hard he didn't even know I won.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rQNGLa0j8Q

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Bonus content: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz6tXjGy-uY

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Copypasta

quote:

Snelling Road Race - "The Paris-Roubaix of the NCNCA"
Racer: TobinHatesYou
Teammates: Brian
Category: Pro/1/2
Course: 4 laps of a 23mi "flat"/rolling course laden with potholes/broken pavement
Placement: 3rd out of 38, Brian/21st

Prerace:
I love long races. I love races with rolling terrain. I love racing in the cold. Snelling was made for me. It was my first ever road race in 2019 as a cat 4 and I have done progressively better in each edition since. I expected to do well in the 2023 edition despite stepping up to the "big leagues."

I elected to use minimal layers...I went with my San Remo, but wore both a windstopper baselayer and my team lightweight windvest underneath. I used arm and knee warmers, Perfetto Max fleece lined gloves and tall Velotoze. I made sure to tape shut any vents on my shoes and also wrapped the cuff with a layer of duct tape for better sealing. <-- This worked really well, my feet/socks were completely dry after 100 miles. For nutrition I filled two large bottles with Skratch "Super High-Carb Sport Drink Mix" (formerly Superfuel) and packed a flask full of gels just in case. I knew I would not need much hydration in the cold conditions, but was expecting to eject at least one bottle during the race. I met up with Brian briefly before the race..."Attack from the gun?" "You know it." Strategy discussion over.

Lap 1: As promised Brian attacked from the gun, but the pack would not let him get away. As we approached the turn onto Looney Rd, I surfed my way to the front and attacked into the corner. Patrick Heaney from CoreTechs joined me and we stayed away for 40 minutes...nearly a full lap. A large chase group linked up with us and we pressed on for a bit until the pack caught us too. All back together at the start of...

Lap 2: Midway through Turlock Rd, Patrick surged off the front again. Initially nobody took the bait, but I noticed Brian moving up on the shoulder of the road. As soon as he got to the front, I slotted in behind him and let go of his wheel. He fired up his diesel engine and bridged up to Patrick by himself. They stayed away for a full lap. During the chase, the front of the group did not point out a large cluster of potholes on Keyes Rd. I rode straight into one, burped sealant out of both tires and ended up doing the next 50 miles with my bars tilted down by ~7 degrees. I also lost one of my bottles, but I had enough carbs to last 'til the end anyway.

Lap 3: The break got caught, Brian cramped, and a crash happened right in front of him causing him to go off-the-back. Completely unaware of this, I launched a counterattack, but was reeled back in after 7.5 minutes of dangling solo. A rider named Russell White from Ride Bikes Racing went off on his own once we turned onto Keyes Rd and quickly disappeared out of sight. For the remainder of the lap, several of the "marks," namely Quinn Felton (Aevolo) and Sean Strachan (Mike's Bikes) tried aggressively to shatter the group without any luck.

Lap 4: The surges and lulls continued until finally Max Rye from Project 74 broke loose. Chris Coble waited until Max had a good gap and then tried to launch himself across. I somehow managed to latch on. We traded a full pulls before linking up with Max, then shortly after we scooped up Russ as well. Russ's tank was completely empty by then, but the rest of us were committed to gutting out the remaining 18 miles. He sat on the back for while and eventually fell off on one of the rollers. We pressed onto Looney Rd, where I started suffering myself. I informed Max and Chris that I'd need to skip turns occasionally, giving them ample warning each time. The moto ref gave us continual time gaps...30s, 40, 50, 55, 50... It hovered at 50-55 seemingly forever because apparently Quinn Felton (PV alum) put in a 5-6min long "hero pull" in a last ditch effort to catch us. By the time we made it to Keyes Rd, I was barely hanging on and informed my breakmates that I would be happy with 3rd place and would not contest the finish. As we approached the final two corners, Max was on the front and slowed considerably. Chris launched from 300 meters and Max wasn't able to respond in time. I briefly considered trying to come around Max for 2nd, but backed off. Could I have taken 2nd? Maybe? We will never know.

Postrace:
Brian and I lit it up and were represented in every break on every lap. We were aided by lots of attrition, but race-readiness includes choosing the right equipment, clothing/kit and nutritional strategy. With a podium out of the way, now it's up to one of us to win one of these road races outright.

https://i.imgur.com/k1CFErw.mp4

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Copy pasta

Race Report: Regalado Road Race - Pro/1/2
Date: 6/4/2023

Team result: TobinHatesYou (4th)

Course: 4 laps of the standard 17mi circuit except in the clockwise direction. While not a technical course by any means, it is harder CW vs CCW; the rollers are punchier and the rough section at Tim Bell Rd is faster with a cross-tailwind.

Conditions: A ~12mph WNW wind making the frontside of the course fast and the backside slow. Low 70s at the start, almost 90 by the end.

Race Plan: I had pre-registered for the Pro/1/2 race, but almost swapped to the combined 40-44,45-49 championship race instead with the intention of helping Brian K. Ultimately I made the decision to stick with the Pro/1/2, thinking Brian would make the winning break without my help. Fortunately this is exactly what happened.

For mid-race nutrition and hydration I had two 26oz bottles of Skratch Super High Carb mix in my bottle cages and one 22oz bottle in my back pocket. That bottle nearly bounced out of my pocket on Tim Bell Rd...Castelli really needs to go back to having three small pockets on the San Remo roadsuit instead of two large ones.

Alto Velo was the largest team with 4 racers while Dolce Vita had 3. Local strongman, Ryan G of Mike's Bikes was also in the race, so I expected constant attacks from Alto Velo in an effort to tire out Ryan. My plan was not to go out of my way to follow early moves that didn't have the right comp, but also to eventually sneak away while AV, DVC and Ryan neutralized each other. If they're going to play chess, I'm going to mess with 'em by playing Connect Four instead.

At the end of the neutral rollout, Grant M from Alto Velo attacked, though never got out of sight. A few solo riders bridged up to him, while Ryan G set a fast tempo in the main pack. We caught the early move after 8 miles right as we turned onto the headwind side of the course. I am pretty aero and love a good headwind attack, so with Alto Velo crowding the front, I rode right through the middle and quickly got 5 seconds on the field. Alto Velo sent Nathan M after me and the two of us completed a full lap of the circuit, getting caught right where the breakaway began. AV should have launched one of their guys, but didn't, so I exhaled and took it upon myself to counterattack even though I had just been caught. Again I got a gap, and again one other rider chose to come along...this time it was Greg W from Ride Bikes Racing. After half a lap, Eric B of Olympic Club bridged up to us by himself. As we hit the backside of the course Ryan G, Conor A (AV,) and James Y (DVC) managed to get away from the main group and catch up to us. The break now had the perfect composition to make it all the way to the end.

On the final lap Greg, Eric and James started skipping pulls, so I attacked the breakaway on Tim Bell Rd while everyone else was too focused on Ryan. Ryan quickly jumped on my wheel and then took over. We very nearly got away and in hindsight I should have come around one more time or encouraged him to up the pace. Unfortunately we only managed to drop James and Greg. For the remainder of the last lap, Ryan did most of the work while Eric, Conor and I barely contributed. Once we turned onto the crosswind section at Stoddard Rd, Ryan attacked for the final time and the rest of us CRAMPED SIMULTANEOUSLY. Eric managed to ride through it and got away as well. I tried to hang on for 3rd, but Conor recovered from his cramp and eventually passed me with less than a mile to go.

In the end, I spent 58mi of a 67mi race in two separate breakaways with a decent chance of finishing 2nd, but ended up stumbling into 4th. The winning break averaged 25.5mph. I averaged 236W for 2h38m and my normalized power was 256W.