Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Next one's in February so not that long to wait.

Don't fancy the Hill Climb season then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'm doing A Hill Climb on Sunday but it's an average of 4.3% so it doesn't really count

Whos promoting this flat TT in hill climb season????

Show yourself cowards.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Pinning numbers on my skinsuit when I don’t have a teammate is a pain. Anyone used the racedots on a bike?

A clubmate has used race dots for Time Trials and they work ok. I have a NoPinz pocket to avoid this all together.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I was targeting the 12 hour TT this year but I think with my injury I just won't be fit enough to even bother with it.

Next year for me.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

bicievino posted:

I love reading about the UK TT scene, but this aspect of it has always seemed a bit odd to me.

Hope you get the position stuff sorted.

I'm genuinely perplexed it isn't as big in America.

Dual carriageway TT's are the fastest you will ever go on a bicycle on a flat road and much like Jakiri says, i've had much more dangerous incidents on normal roads during time trials than dualies. They're generally safer as there's an entire extra lane for cars to pass you however there is a greater risk of a catastrophic incident due to the speeds involved.

The fastest courses are being gradually phased out as increases in traffic mean that police forces are withholding permission or organisers feel its not worth the risk to run them. I've marshaled a dual carriageway TT and had to pick someone up who had chanced a roundabout because they didn't want to slow down and ended up in the back of the car in front and I've not raced on that course since and numbers in general have been down. It was the fastest course in the area and would always have a full field before that and instead you're getting 100 people turn up at Goodwood race circuit on a Wednesday evening.

I dunno, I think we're going to see a migration to closed circuits for the people that just want to ride head down as fast as they can and sporting courses for everyone else.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
2 deaths and another very serious injury over the weekend at TT races, all from collisions with vehicles.

The open road TT scene in the UK has to change.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TobinHatesYou posted:

What a dumb race.

Also I got yelled at by an old man for this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgGfshRWaqs

Saw the title of that race and thought you'd come over to the UK to ride. We have a Winchester circuit race just down the road from me!

In other UK based hilarity, the national 10 mile time trial championships still don't have an announced winner of the Men's category over a week after the event finished because the timekeepers stop watch ran out of battery and the spare didn't get started.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

First race post accident :toot:

Absolutely dogshit slow (90s slower for the 10 mile on a TT bike than on a road bike, due to putting out like 60W less now) but a) I wasn't going full gas (another race on Friday) and b) I absolutely nailed the turn.

But got one in the bank now, so super pleased.

Nice. I'm working back to crit racing in May but im still thinking about having a go at the 12 hour this year fitness dependent.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

For the 15 miler: basically the same story except I threw up 10 miles in

Great plan to lose weight before the climb.

bicievino posted:

Pacing a 15-miler sounds awful. How far over threshold do you aim?

The national circuit TT championship is an 11.4 mile course. Everyone gets it wrong.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

bicievino posted:

Is it the same circuit every year? That's kinda rad.

Also, lol, is throwing up mid-way negative splitting your weight?

Its been at Thruxton for like 7-8 nears now I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AkYewIJ89A

Its on a race track around an airfield and is always blowing an absolute gale. Also you have to remember to count your laps right and pull into the pits on the last lap for the finish otherwise you get DQ'd.

This happens a lot more than you'd expect.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
My first TT since injury was meant to be tomorrow but after successfully dodging the rona for 2 years it finally got me.

I'd even cleaned the bike and everything.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The cycling gods smiled on me in the crit today. Guy 2 riders forward in the pack lost a bottle and it hit the ground and span to the perfect angle for me to hop it.

I've never shat my pants so hard in a race before, I had guys both sides and at least 15 right behind me. Would have been absolute carnage.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

bicievino posted:

I haven't posted much in this thread this year.

I was burnt out hard after nationals last year, and then started a new job that wrecked my work life balance.
I figured out relatively early on that I wasn't going to be able to go back and try to defend any titles at masters nationals, which took the rest of the wind out of my sails with regards to training.
I'm less fit than I have been since 2017, which was the year I came back to racing after a 15-year hiatus.

That said, I'm doing my darndest to embrace the "just have fun, no pressure, race bikes it's cool" mindset.
It's going mostly okay. I still had a lot of FOMO last week as my friends won jerseys, but I'm also having fun not doing any intervals besides suicide pulls on the front of the pack here at home. I'm happy that our racing scene up here is deep enough that I can still get opportunities on to race my heart out and not be dropped, despite not having quite the same focus in training.

Anyway, this meandering post brought to you by having a few beers on an empty stomach post race. Bike racing is fun and good, and we should all do more of it.

I got back into Crit racing this year. I'm old, fat and putting out power numbers from 2016 but I'm having a fun time and I think thats what matters.

I've never been up at the point end like you so I can't speak for that but I think you've got a very good mindset about this.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
After getting back into Crit racing and enjoying it I was convinced to get back into Time Trialling too.

1st 10 mile TT in over 3 years at Goodwood Motor circuit. I did it on a road bike as my TT bike is still in pieces and I legit had a fantastic time. I think it being in effect a closed road made it all the more better, not having to worry about a truck taking me out on a dual carriageway made it far more enjoyable. 4 laps is also a nice number.

I mean as enjoyable as a 10 mile TT can be. I hadn't ridden much in the 2 weeks proceeding this due to work and I knew I was in bad shape on the warmup as my HR was a good 15bpm higher than it would normally be. Thought about quitting on the 2nd lap as I was dying but caught sight of my minute person and the motivation from reeling them in kept me going. I always find miles 3-5 the worst in a 10, I guess because that's when the pain really sets in and you've still got so far to go. Stuck to my target power despite feeling like I was going to die as well so the legs were okay, cardio not so much as you can see...

That actually is my all time bests for 1 min, 5 and 10 min HR. Theres a weird record logged which I've now found and deleted that had my PR's at 250+ from faulty data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/JoeLavo/status/1563993818499715072

Thought this was an interesting thread about the British 10m TT national champs and what it takes to win it.

Its also interesting because nationally the scene is dying on its arse. We've had nearly 5 years of less and less riders taking part and the arms race described in the twitter thread is one of the direct causes. The other most notables are the number of deaths (racing on fast, busy open roads) that have put midpack' people from turning up and the frankly ridiculous cost to just enter events now.

The TT scene over here is going through a painful change right now and I'm not sure where its going to end up. For me to race my closest 'fast' course its a 100 mile round trip and a £25 entry fee for 25 minutes of riding. Unless you're at the top end people just aren't bothering now, which means events are barely half full and don't cover the organisers costs. A lot of the race track events that people were switching to due to safety fears are stopping because they need 100+ fields just to pay for the circuit and were barely scratching 80 riders over the summer so theres a double impact to losing those events.