Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
So many excellent race reports ITT. Nature is healing. :allears:

I'm still going through a build phase, currently on a rest week and packing up for a bikepacking trip in the desert this weekend. But once I finish my build phase, I am going to switch gears and start doing crit practice while maintaining my fitness. Eyeing the crit here in Ontario, CA, on 6/20 as my first race, but maybe I want to target something else in July instead depending on how confident I am feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

tylertfb posted:

Do Barrio Logan GP June 26th if you’re in SoCal

I've got that on my calendar, so I'm thinking about it. I'll probably decide late next month. I'm a little reluctant to be doing crits mostly because I've been training for BWR and waiting for that since 2019 now so it'd suck to get injured in a cat4 crash before that. But maybe I'll just throw caution to the wind, I dunno. :shrug:

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

tylertfb posted:

Yesterday I raced the Cat 5 race at the Majestic grand prix in La Verne, CA. https://www.strava.com/activities/5688115771/segments/2854608920316154872

OH poo poo, I raced the cat4 field at La Verne GP. First race of the year and I went into this without as much anxiety as I had throughout my first season. I also had five teammates, which was new to me. Two of them dropped off. One had already done two races and the other one seemed to be exhausted for some vague reason. I didn't think about expectations or anything like that, I just wanted to race and see how I did.

Seemed like that was a good mindset to have, because I stayed active throughout the race as much as possible. A Team Six guy launched a breakaway attempt right from the start and nobody else bit, so we were all just covering each other to see who were feeling good and bad. The first few laps were chill like this, I was staying on the front and then people were suddenly pushing to the front around 10 minutes into the race. I got shuffled to the middle of the pack, but kept my head up and kept looking for opportunities to pass.

The hill and the short straight after that were both good places to pass, but what worked better was that I tried to plan ahead for the two times in the course where there were going to be two corners in the same direction. Right -> right is what I mean. I realized that I could just take the outside line on a left corner and then have the inside line for the next two right corners. This seemed pretty effective but I realized this too late to really exploit this in a meaningful way.

Around the 30 minute mark, a guy in the back hosed up somehow and went flying over the median in the street on the hill. I saw this happen just as I looked back, and then people were starting to fly. I had been moving around and working to the front pretty well. I tried to make space for the teammates a couple times by attacking there and here throughout the race so I was feeling a little rough and starting to feel a bit inattentive. I missed the bell and caught up too late but I hit the gutter in the last corner a bit too hard and the chain dropped to the small ring. Ooof! Missing the bell and the finish line sprint meant that I wasn't going to crack the top 7 for a point or more this time.

I finished 17 out of 44 (with 7 DNS's). I'm the most happy about my mindset. I felt like I didn't psych myself out, I didn't let others dictate how I raced as much, and this was only my first race back this year. I'm looking forward to racing more. I hadn't realized how much I missed it!

rngd in the womb fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 27, 2021

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

Incredible race report. This thread is so good.