Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

jamal posted:

Week 9 - we're done now?

My main sports are trail running and mountaineering and I just gravel cycle for fun and crosstraining with a casual race here and there, but I enjoy your race reports a lot. Thanks for posting them and in such detail - they are always interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
A couple months ago I bought a used Kona Hei Hei as my first mountain bike and rode it some. Four weeks ago I entered my first XC mountain bike race and I've done three of them now. They are short ~1 hour weeknight races on pretty easy courses and with a laidback vibe. I am a technically incompetent mountain biker (I am certain I brake more than anyone else in the race) but I have a decent engine from road/gravel riding and trail running.

I've been entering the beginner cat 4 and my results are 10th, 2nd, and 1st, fields are around 12-15 people for that cat (cat 3 has like 50 entrants). There are three more races before the end of the summer series, I think I'll be able to attend two of them. I can cat up whenever I want and I'm not sure whether to do it now or finish the season with the 4s and come back for the 3s next year.

I'm glad to see improvement, albeit in a very beginner-friendly environment. They have been good races too - last week when I was in second I beat third place by less than 3 seconds, we had a straight up sprint to the line. He was a better technical rider and I was a better pedaler and I was glad the course ended on terrain for me. This week I thought I'd be second place again, but the guy I was chasing had a problem with clipping back in after putting a foot down with about a quarter of a lap to go, it took him maybe 20-30 seconds to clip in and that was enough for me to pass and hold the gap.

It's a fun scene and I'm glad I started doing it. Before these I thought maybe I wasted my money on the MTB and I should resell it, now I am interested in practicing and improving at it. Very cool stuff, even if I am still towards the bottom of the ladder.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 28, 2022