Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
23:22 on the road bike in tonight's 10 mile TT, getting there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

New FTP day :toot:, up to 370

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Can there be a turnaround at the end of the line?

Ah yes, tirrano adriatico

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Last TT of the season tomorrow, and the first 25 miler of my 9 months or so of competitive cycling. It's not a fast course, partially because it has nearly 800 feet of climbing at up to 8%, and the record is a 51:42 despite being used for a lot of national level events. Almost no wind, which is good, and I shouldn't need water as it's going to be 8 degrees (45 or so in american).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Well after much careful planning I got a puncture about 10 minutes in. Not recommended as a strategy.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

moctopus posted:

That always stinks. I think you said it was the last one too?

It's times like this I always remind myself if anything goes right it just wouldn't be bike racing.

Next one's in February so not that long to wait.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

Don't fancy the Hill Climb season then?

I'm doing A Hill Climb on Sunday but it's an average of 4.3% so it doesn't really count

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

Whos promoting this flat TT in hill climb season????

Show yourself cowards.

Cambridgeshire be like that sometimes

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Was finding my threshold intervals impossibly tough (as in had to bin it after 10-12 minutes rather than 20) so I assumed I was ill.

What actually happened was that I needed to re-zero my pedals after a minor bash last Saturday, and the net result was under-reporting by about 13%.

So yeah, not ill, just an idiot.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

New FTP day :toot:, up to 370

384 :toot:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

My target race weight is 200lb (92kg), so it's not completely mad (4.2W/kg or thereabouts)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Now that looks fun

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

First TT of the year :toot:

Coming off a knee injury so on the road bike in the road bike category (ie no deep section wheels, etc), just went the whole hog and raced with a saddlebag so I could go straight home (and did, without unclipping until my back door). Rolling course, caps out around 8%, 13 mile course

Went ok - averaged a little over 350W, which is well under I'd have been targeting 2 months ago but getting through it without my knee swelling to the size of a balloon was a big win. 1st race of the season down, next one on Saturday!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

:hmmyes:

Results out, second in category by like 30s - but given I was using winter tyres I was leaving a good 20W on the table from that alone, more than enough to make up the gap next Wednesday.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Tomorrow's 25 miler features 30mph winds and heavy rain. Character building for sure.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Another Wednesday, another 10 mile TT. This one featured a reasonably big hill in the middle (1.3km @ >5%) and at the end (similar overall, but including 250m > 9%, capping out at 11%), so basically the closest to a summit finish you can get round here.

Being a tall, heavy type I did not back my chances much, double so because I was racing it on my road bike with shallow wheels for the road bike category (no rims > 30mm). But judged it pretty well - 6th fastest on the final climb out of everyone, 2nd in category to someone who definitely did not obey the "<30mm rims" rule. So pretty happy overall.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Another wednesday, another 10 miler. First one on my TT bike rather than a road bike - although I've felt crummy all day, so my power was a good 25-30W down on what I'd expect, which means I didn't actually get a course PB (a car getting in the way on the turn didn't help either). I'm sure my position was pretty crap too.

Finished 9th overall out of 40 or so.

However, one down - many to go.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

First ever dual carriageway TT!

Ominous signs were had when I was picking up my number, as the chat at race control was them working out which of the early riders was being taken away in an ambulance*. Weather conditions were good, though - nice and sunny, very little wind, great visibility.

Like the other day had difficulty getting power out - looking at my shadow, I think it's because my front end is too low impacting the hip angle and also making it difficult to get my head in the right position. Must have put it back in the wrong place when I was fiddling with the headset. Finish time was 33 dead for the 15, which I think was a bit up on my minute man but honestly difficult to tell. Saw nobody around me the whole way.

Lots of lovely kit on show, too - guy in front of me had corima wheels on his old edition P5, and they were just absolutely gorgeous.

*This later turned out to be because he fell off his bike on his own, rather than due to a car.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

bicievino posted:

I love reading about the UK TT scene, but this aspect of it has always seemed a bit odd to me.

Honestly, the normal road TTs are much more dodgy for close passes etc.

It was notable that my power output jumped by like 40W when I went onto the base bar for the kick into the turns

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Aside from the guy who came off, there was a woman from my club who managed to miss the turn off the carriageway to the roundabout who then proceeded to carry on for another 8 miles (on a 15 mile TT, before the first turn) and merged onto a road cyclists are DEFINITELY not allowed to be on, before coming off it, going immediately back on and coming back the way she came. So uh yeah pay attention to the course

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

No racing because of low level illness/being very busy, but done some upgrades:

A bit better than the "normal rubber band" solution

Just need to tidy up the cables

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 30, 2021

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Road bike TT or TT-TT? Either way shouldn't be much more than 8 minutes or so.

bicievino posted:

Those aerocoach bars are hot as gently caress.

100% confirm

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

:hmmyes:

Good post

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

bicievino posted:

Skin is slow, but maybe fur is fast?
New frontiers in aero tech.

Realtalk I think the next purchase is a custom speedsuit. In stock sizing I'm an XL at the thigh and butt, but a small at the chest and waist. Got a lot of wrinkles on the sleeves I could stand to get rid of.

Didn't know primoz posted in this thread

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

What a dumb race.

Also I got yelled at by an old man for this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgGfshRWaqs

Dumb race, dumb old guy

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Yeah, SCR is standard for Scratched

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

bicievino posted:

Obligatory bike glamor shot, since I'm a masters racer that bought speed instead of training.

I was getting to the end of the post and was ready to start chanting "SHOW THE BIKES SHOW THE BIKES"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

Credit to my friend whose footage/edit that is. I am in there though on the very subtle TREK.

It's a gorgeous bike

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

First race post accident :toot:

Absolutely dogshit slow (90s slower for the 10 mile on a TT bike than on a road bike, due to putting out like 60W less now) but a) I wasn't going full gas (another race on Friday) and b) I absolutely nailed the turn.

But got one in the bank now, so super pleased.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Having now done a dive into the numbers, the work I've done to improve my position is definitely working - compared to the last time I did this course on a TT bike (my penultimate race pre crash), on the flat bits I was going faster for less watts into a bigger head wind at higher air pressure. Lost all my time on the 1km at 4% climb due to being a bit more chunky than I was.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

For the 15 miler: basically the same story except I threw up 10 miles in

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

bicievino posted:

Pacing a 15-miler sounds awful. How far over threshold do you aim?

Not sure of my FTP on the TT bike, so went out doing what I'd do for a 10 miler and did my best to hang on. That's the scientific approach.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Minor recovery setback: the small fall I had in Feb caused some more longer lasting damage to the deep layers of skin by my hip, and a little reservoir of blood formed and this week it got infected. Swelled up like a balloon in like 30 minutes, really impressive. Got put on IV antibiotics and now I've got 3 kinds of antibiotic tablets to take for a week and should make a full recovery rather than, uh, nasty things happening. At first I thought it was bursitis or something which would have kept me out for ages, so hurray I guess?

Picture after a couple of days of the IV stuff:

(Edited areas because a) hospital wristband with basically all of my personal info and b) this underwear leaves little to the imagination and this isn't that kind of thread, but feel free to enjoy my tan lines)

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Ouch. I had a similar thing happen after a fall directly on my right hip while riding Whistler, had a couple inches of swelling the rest of the summer and super painful TI band. Glad they didn't have to go in and drain that for you.

They may have to go in to drain it and repair the blood vessels, I'll find out next week