Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

kimbo305 posted:

If track cycling were suddenly modified so that tracks were ridden clockwise instead of counterclockwise, how much shakeup would there be in performance? How much muscle memory helps cyclists lean left and move up and down a left-sloping banking?

Our track has a reverse direction “race” on our final night of the season every year and it is eerie to ride it in the opposite direction, even when nobody is really trying to go fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I want to race my local crit (barrio Logan Grand Prix in San Diego) next month. Can I still race on a 1-day license if I’ve had an upgrade in the past? I haven’t had a USAC license in 6 years, was a cat4. I want to do the 40+ cat 4/5 race.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

rngd in the womb posted:

So many excellent race reports ITT. Nature is healing. :allears:

I'm still going through a build phase, currently on a rest week and packing up for a bikepacking trip in the desert this weekend. But once I finish my build phase, I am going to switch gears and start doing crit practice while maintaining my fitness. Eyeing the crit here in Ontario, CA, on 6/20 as my first race, but maybe I want to target something else in July instead depending on how confident I am feeling.

Do Barrio Logan GP June 26th if you’re in SoCal

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Our (San Diego) track season opens tonight. Our track experience is about the polar opposite of the Seattle one in terms of organization (we race under ATRA regs rather than USAC, nobody is keeping track of Omnium points, etc etc) and my racing experience will be 180 from bicievino’s (news from the rear of the race!) But the vibe is very similar! Look for my report later

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Did two races this week!
1) Tuesday Night Racing at San Diego velodrome B's field: 3 races (Elimination, 4km scratch, 8km scratch)+ a motorpaced warmup.

Felt like total crap during the warmup, and haven't been doing any high intensity riding lately so I figured I was just there to socialize and get a little bit of a workout, was planning on quitting for the night after the Elimination (wich I planned on not doing well in). I ended up riding to the front during the Eliminaiton race on lap one and trading off on the front with 2 other guys, while I guess the rest of the field tried to draft and put themselves in the box. Eventually people started sprinting over the top and I ended up at the rear and got pulled from the group of 6. Given we started 20 guys, this was much better than I though I would do and it gave me a little motivation to keep going.

In the 4k (12 laps) scratch I rode easy on the back, and took tickets (kept letting people coming back off the front to drop in front of me, so I wouldn't cycle up toward the front) for the first 6 laps. Was on the wheel of another of the old guys, and my mortal rival at the track, when the strong kids on the front decided to pick up the pace, and rival dude blew and went up the track right as I was moving to come around, and he took a line of 4 of us up to the rail. Luckily another old dude back there with me was willing to work with me and we traded pulls for a lap and caught up to the lead group of about 6 riders with about 2 laps to go. As soon as we caught, the pace jumped again and we were instantaly gapped for the final two laps, and I sat on his wheel for the final lap and came around him after turn 4 for 7th (lol). I was not at all in contention with the real strong guys, but it was fun doing track strategy, and fun sprinting head to head with my friend.

in the 8k (24) scratch, I attempted to go for a cash prime on lap 8, barely even made it off the front of the field and got blown away far far far from the finish line, and ended up gassed and dropped. I was going to let myself get lapped and just ride in at the back of the field for the workout, but while riding around at the top of the track waiting to be lapped I momentarily forgot I was on a track bike and tried to coast to rest a bit and almost bucked myself off the bike. Figured that was a sign that I should roll into the infield and watch the real fast guys race.

It was my third night of racing at the track this season, and while I'm nowhere near the level of fitness I once was, it's still an incredible thrill and about the best workout one can get. It's also an incredible close-knit group of people and we get to race in front of a big, appreciative crowd who are all there to party and have fun. Really really great stuff.

Yesterday I raced the Cat 5 race at the Majestic grand prix in La Verne, CA. I haven't raced on the road since 2013, when I was a (lovely) cat3. My wife is newly employed by Muc-Off (bike cleaning products) and had to run the tent in the expo area so I figured I'd race on a one-day license since I'd be there anyway, and because the 5's race was at the intensly civilized hour of 12:30pm. The race is held on the same course that the San Dimas stage race crit used to be held on, a really nice 1.25 mile, 7-turn course, with a little bit of an uphill drag after turn 1 and a smooth downhill right turn into the finish straight. I started in about the middle of the field and spent lap 1 working a little harder than I'd like getting around people who were riding...strangely. People riding on the tops, one guy who was clipping a foot out heading into the tight turn (which wasn't very tight at all, really!) etc. By lap 4 I was tailgunning and keeping contact with the field by cornering well when they were all braking and sprinting out of each turn. I lasted one more lap doing that until the elastic really snapped and I rode the rest of the laps (I think I did 7) in rotating with a group of fellow scrubs. At least were able to ride through the corners on the correct line at that point. With a lap to go I pulled off at the finish line to watch the finish.

Overall another fun experience. There is nothing like racing in a pack to get the blood pumping, and the atmosphere at these things are always so fun and welcoming. People who like to race bikes really like getting together to do it. Got to sit in the booth with my wife for the rest of the day, drink beers, and talk to people about bike cleaning products!

https://www.strava.com/activities/5688115771/segments/2854608920316154872

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
My wife is at CX nats working in the bike wash (She works for Muc-Off). says the cold is pretty shocking for her, a lifelong So-Cal-er.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Incredible pics, the both of you. Racing bikes is the best.